gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:42:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS PRODUCERS SHED LIGHT ON 1968 ARCHIVAL RELEASES  (Read 7994 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 03:57:53 PM »

Since the return of Murry has been a topic on multiple discussions recently,  it made me think if his return was as much a simple human and family thing as much as anything connected to the business.

There was a spin of the events going around that Brian was in bad shape, so the band members and family rallied around him to help make the Friends album. Not sure if I buy that...

But what if Murry came back simply because either he wanted to reconnect with his sons, or his sons wanted to reconnect with him? Remember Brian said Dennis was working on their relationship just before Murry's death, where they'd go fishing, and Brian himself I think mentioned entertaining Murry's ideas for a smash hit tune called Lazaloo, just trying to spend time together.

So maybe when Murry came back in 1968 and worked of Friends, he either did so with his hat in hand to reconcile with his boys, or maybe his sons or one of them at least invited him to the sessions for similar reasons.

I'm just thinking how Breakaway got its start by Brian remembering watching the Joey Bishop show with Murry, and Joey would say we're going to break away now for a commercial...and the idea for the tune was born. So it's not like they were totally estranged.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »

Since the return of Murry has been a topic on multiple discussions recently,  it made me think if his return was as much a simple human and family thing as much as anything connected to the business.

There was a spin of the events going around that Brian was in bad shape, so the band members and family rallied around him to help make the Friends album. Not sure if I buy that...

But what if Murry came back simply because either he wanted to reconnect with his sons, or his sons wanted to reconnect with him? Remember Brian said Dennis was working on their relationship just before Murry's death, where they'd go fishing, and Brian himself I think mentioned entertaining Murry's ideas for a smash hit tune called Lazaloo, just trying to spend time together.

So maybe when Murry came back in 1968 and worked of Friends, he either did so with his hat in hand to reconcile with his boys, or maybe his sons or one of them at least invited him to the sessions for similar reasons.

I'm just thinking how Breakaway got its start by Brian remembering watching the Joey Bishop show with Murry, and Joey would say we're going to break away now for a commercial...and the idea for the tune was born. So it's not like they were totally estranged.

Very plausible, GF. I imagine Murry's involvement would have been less likely if they hadn't built the home studio. The new, laid back atmosphere may have lent itself to his (limited) involvement.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »

I don't remember what I was referencing regarding Brad Elliot's research, but it suggests that he held the position that BW was in charge of Friends, and he was probably the best source for knowledge at the time (however some may have come to feel about him personally later on).

I'll bet it was Brad's 1968 chronology in Volume 3 of Domenic Priore's Dumb Angel Gazette. He has several session entries that clearly indicate Brian was serving as producer.

Yep that was it! I loved that book ... I think it has the '68 tour book photos w/ Brian and and Dennis playing baseball in that section.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 07:52:40 PM »

Very plausible, GF. I imagine Murry's involvement would have been less likely if they hadn't built the home studio. The new, laid back atmosphere may have lent itself to his (limited) involvement.

Just the fact he was there let alone cutting vocal tracks seems like an event that came out of left field. I was even wondering if the Boys' TM activity and chats with the Maharishi since that meeting in Dec 1967 may have been a factor. As in, perhaps part of finding their inner peace and all that would involve reconciliation among family members, and in this case especially two of the three brothers with their dad. I've never really seen this chapter of Murry's involvement and return to studio sessions expanded on all that much, but maybe it was an effort to reconcile and find peace...who knows.

The possibilities of how and why Murry ended up there making records again are stacking up.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx