gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:29:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys - Smile - Acetate Mix  (Read 21207 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »

A very nice choice of materials for Side B that courageously goes against "common wisdom" regarding placement of certain segments (DYLW <--> Wind Chimes).

That said, my gut sense is that DYLW is the prelude to H&V and thus should precede it on Side A, and that Wind Chimes should be the first cut on Side B, which could then nicely unfold as you have it (but w/o DYLW and going directly into that really nice "Great Shape" mashup which does a great job of showing how so many segments could be slammed up against each other to interesting effect).

Domenic Priore suggested in LLVS that "Wind Chimes" could have been the follow-up single to GV. I think it might have done OK if it had followed the Cantina version of H&V, maybe in the late spring of '67. Think of it as an ethereal response to "Penny Lane," but with a much more killer bass line.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »

A very nice choice of materials for Side B that courageously goes against "common wisdom" regarding placement of certain segments (DYLW <--> Wind Chimes).

That said, my gut sense is that DYLW is the prelude to H&V and thus should precede it on Side A, and that Wind Chimes should be the first cut on Side B, which could then nicely unfold as you have it (but w/o DYLW and going directly into that really nice "Great Shape" mashup which does a great job of showing how so many segments could be slammed up against each other to interesting effect).

Domenic Priore suggested in LLVS that "Wind Chimes" could have been the follow-up single to GV. I think it might have done OK if it had followed the Cantina version of H&V, maybe in the late spring of '67. Think of it as an ethereal response to "Penny Lane," but with a much more killer bass line.

Thank you! I had actually considered placing “Wind Chimes” as the opener of “Side B”, and it would not be a bad choice either. The track list is more arbitrary than anything for tracks such as “Heroes and Villains”, “Cabin Essence”, “The Old Master Painter” “Do You Like Worms?”, and “I’m In Great Shape”.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 06:41:28 PM »

Does Google Drive work for you guys?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ht6i5A6riidrTVP7uGgEz8PBvQLOY3DR
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 07:55:26 AM »

So, what do you guys think?
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 08:03:56 AM »

Would you guys want to hear a stereo version of this mix?
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »

Those of us who collect SMILE variations would be grateful for any additional versions you can make available...and I think that all credible versions of what we might call "the DUMB ANGEL version" of SMILE--the 12-track "non-suite" version that was clearly in the works in late '66 are worth the time and trouble, simply because they open up all the potential variations that might have come to pass, giving those interested in such conjecture a chance to make more concrete comparisons and judgments.
zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 04:03:15 PM »

Really really like it!

Try to listen mine! Smiley
https://vimeo.com/291674398/description
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 05:37:13 AM »

I've been listening to this mix a couple of times lately, and I got to say, I love this. Even though SMiLE was far from done the period in you've chosen, this would be one of the best and well made mixes they could've done if they were made to release what they've gathered so far.

I REALLY love the skits, that you actually made them fit so well into this. I also love the H&V-DYLW-CE mix you did. It actually sound reasonable! It flows into eachother so well. This would indeed make the WH we know a logical successor.

This gives a stronger "album-feel" than what the SMiLE Session provides IMO. Cudos! As with the others, I would also love a FLAC of this.

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 04:38:14 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I will prepare FLAC files after completing a stereo mix, which is going to be a rather extensive project.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2019, 05:42:56 PM »

I hope a Google Drive link will be sufficient. I also completed many of the steeeo tracks, but assembly and mixing will take a lot longer than planned. Hopefully by this year everything will be complete. Till then, enjoy the album in mono!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Wxvp80itEiATVzbZt8JwDCxxa_ZR8i0L
SydBarrett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 10:38:23 AM »

Not a big fan of Heroes and Villains, Cabin Essence, Do You Like Worms, and I'm In Great Shape being jumbled up like that
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 02:14:34 PM »

Not a big fan of Heroes and Villains, Cabin Essence, Do You Like Worms, and I'm In Great Shape being jumbled up like that

Fair criticism. This is a pretty interesting compilation in terms of how it presents that material.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2019, 08:02:41 PM »

I added a third folder in the Google Drive folder called “Stereo Single Reels”, which contain electronically-extracted stereo-mixes of “Good Vibrations” and the February 1967 version of “Heroes and Villains” (made by iHeartMikeLove and TheOneBeachBoysManiac respectively) mastered and re-worked to sound as true to the original mono-mixes as possible. This took a lot of hours of my time, so I would really appreciate if you all could give feedback. The rest of the stereo version of my fan-mix is intended to sound like this, so any advice would really help.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:03:59 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2019, 07:17:44 PM »

Bump.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2019, 07:31:02 AM »

The Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villians Stereo Extractions are amazing! They are my go to now! I like the Safety Reels Mix, Acetate sounds too scratchy. The Overall Mix for the songs is cool. It's like a Schizophrenic Jigsaw Puzzle.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:48:02 AM by branaa09 » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2019, 07:55:10 AM »

The Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villians Stereo Extractions are amazing! They are my go to now! I like the Safety Reels Mix, Acetate sounds too scratchy. The Overall Mix for the songs is cool. It's like a Schizophrenic Jigsaw Puzzle.  Smiley

Thanks. A full stereo mix for the album will come very soon.
Bygone
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »

I liked "The Elements" most of all in your mix. In fact, I stole that idea of "Air Pollution-segment "(Brian's smog monologue) into my own version! You may listen it here if interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6WmN2ifggE.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2019, 12:59:11 PM »

I liked "The Elements" most of all in your mix. In fact, I stole that idea of "Air Pollution-segment "(Brian's smog monologue) into my own version! You may listen it here if interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6WmN2ifggE.

Thank you. I used every “Element”-related recording (in my opinion) during the construction of this mix, so I’m glad you liked it.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2019, 08:51:16 PM »

Sorry to revive the dead again, but I just made this mix available on YouTibe so more people could get the chance of hearing it.
https://youtu.be/JQx7jnfGHek
SydBarrett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 05:32:08 PM »

https://webcassette.klevgrand.se/

I know you're using this LMAO
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2019, 05:26:35 PM »

I know that this thread has been dormant for a long time, but I figure that it's better for me to post this here than elsewhere. I also don't want to irk a bunch of people who'll probably look at this and say: "oh, gosh. Not another post about a Smile fan-mix by the same guy!" Yeah, I get it. I've really been known around here for tweaking and approaching this work in a variety of ways that might seem convoluted to some people - but real-life and the priorities that lie ahead are getting in the way as well. I was fairly satisfied by my mono-mix last year: but I was trying make the material sound uniform as a stereo-presentation that I think would serve the material the best way I possibly can. I get very fixated on a few small-details - and I cannot let my perspective of working on this get in the way of acknowledging the even more generous and dedicated Beach Boys and Smile-heads who are invigorated by the vision of what could've been salvageable guided by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks' transformational intentions and ideas behind the making of this music - some of which's work that is present on this version. I'd like to thank SonicLoveNoize, Syd Barrett, and the YouTuber 'teksälf musics' whose "Good Vibrations" video seems to be blocked by YouTube. With that came the mounting task of filling in the empty-tracks where stereo-stems or mixes are not available - as in the 1966 recording of "Heroes and Villains", "Barnyard", and my edit of "The Elements"-suite comprising of collages made from the "Psychedelic Sounds" recordings Brian and his friends made in 1966 to test out ideas for in-between song skits and dialogue. It's really the most I could do owing appreciation to this community for fostering appreciation for such magneficient music, and I can be rest assured that this will be my last. Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rv2GsnVXrnMY9JijIAr8AaYGIqGMWFQB
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2019, 05:50:04 AM »

".... in a variety of ways that might seem convoluted to some people"

don't worry about that, everyone knows SMiLE was born convoluted

I can be rest assured if you can be rest assured

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2019, 08:35:04 AM »

".... in a variety of ways that might seem convoluted to some people"

don't worry about that, everyone knows SMiLE was born convoluted

I can be rest assured if you can be rest assured

Thank you. Making this really put Wilson’s dilemma into perspective...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2019, 09:13:04 AM »

Listening to the mix again and a thought came to my mind. The parallels between this album and Brian himself are really intriguing:

Brian, in '66/'67, had this outward appearance of being cool, hip, positive guy. SMiLE cover art has this appearance of being hip, happy, and #1 (sporting a banner of a #1 hit song). Yet inwardly, Brian was going through so much turmoil, ups and downs, highs and lows. SMiLE, inwardly, is an album of beauty, love, loss, highs and lows, etc. Brian was reading philosophy and interested in health and nature, and all of this gets infused into SMiLE. And of course it's no surprise that the psyche of the artist would be mirrored in his work, but it's the next part that is really interesting: in the end both Brian and the album seemed to collapse from the pressure. And oddly enough, they both ended up being revived decades later in their own ways.

I don't want it to sound like I'm reading too much into all this, but it's just a thought that crossed my mind. Stellar work Old Master Painter! It's great to hear those puzzle-like edits of the H&V/Cabinessence material. I have always wondered what such an edit would sound like, and I could never piece such an edit together myself.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »

Listening to the mix again and a thought came to my mind. The parallels between this album and Brian himself are really intriguing:

Brian, in '66/'67, had this outward appearance of being cool, hip, positive guy. SMiLE cover art has this appearance of being hip, happy, and #1 (sporting a banner of a #1 hit song). Yet inwardly, Brian was going through so much turmoil, ups and downs, highs and lows. SMiLE, inwardly, is an album of beauty, love, loss, highs and lows, etc. Brian was reading philosophy and interested in health and nature, and all of this gets infused into SMiLE. And of course it's no surprise that the psyche of the artist would be mirrored in his work, but it's the next part that is really interesting: in the end both Brian and the album seemed to collapse from the pressure. And oddly enough, they both ended up being revived decades later in their own ways.

I don't want it to sound like I'm reading too much into all this, but it's just a thought that crossed my mind. Stellar work Old Master Painter! It's great to hear those puzzle-like edits of the H&V/Cabinessence material. I have always wondered what such an edit would sound like, and I could never piece such an edit together myself.

Well, I couldn’t have described Wilson’s relationship with his own work as succinctly as you have. It’s been great working on this, and I thank you for listening to it!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx