gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:09:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike being comfortable with Bruce appearing  (Read 8442 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »

Alright, Some guy uploaded a ton of short videos of Mike signing massive amounts of albums... Pretty nice of Mike if you ask me. I bet he signed over a hundred. Anyway, some interesting things came up. An album by The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean sparked Mike's interest, on the 73 live album the guy asks if Blondie was on that record to which Mike replies yes, but doesn't say anything else, Celebration comes up... You can watch the videos, some interesting things come up......

But in the final video, something really sparked my attention. The guy talks about Mike making an appearance at an event, to which Mike hesitates and says "well....ummmm...Honestly," and the video cuts off.   (watch the video here if you like ,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA_0sxrtEXg)

In my opinion, Mike doesn't sound too thrilled at the idea of Bruce coming along. Is this because it brings the attention off of him? If Bruce came, it would be seen as "The Beach Boys" or "Two of The Beach Boys" instead of "Mike Love". And maybe Mike doesn't like the idea of the spotlight being taken away from him, which we know is certainly plausible. But let's play devil's advocate, and say that Mike's ego isn't the case. Is there any chance that Mike & Bruce offstage and offscreen aren't particularly fond of each other and have a sole business relationship? That seems plausible to me. But maybe I'm just a cynic.

Maybe I'm reading into all of this too much... But if anyone here has any insight, I'd be curious to know what Mike might have said.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:19:47 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 11:46:16 AM »

I think it of course has to be conjecture, but based on my observations and what I've heard talking to a myriad of fans, insiders, and others, I've always felt, especially in the last few decades, that Mike and Bruce may well have somewhat of a Johnny Carson-Ed McMahon relationship. That is, they are working together pretty much full time, day in and day out, but don't do much non-work related socializing off-stage, either during tours or during off times.

It's worth noting that Bruce is *not* attached to Mike's hip for his solo studio work. He may sometimes participate, but I'd say at this point Foskett and Totten are joined at the hip with Mike more than Bruce is. I recall in the first couple years after Foskett joined up with Mike again, it was Foskett and Mike making public appearances together at events.

I think, given the events in the 1997-1998 timeframe, Mike *had* to keep someone else original in the band. You'll note that in some late 90s/early 2000s interviews, Mike would often make specific mention of Bruce's long tenure in the band. He'd even often mention that Mike Kowalski had been with the band for decades. So I think he was sensitive to not literally dwindling the "core" members in the touring band down from four to one (once Dave left in 1999). And, keeping Bruce would, based on every industry indicator I can think of, be cheaper than keeping Al (whether salaried or otherwise).

Based on what I've noticed (my own opinion obviously) and from talking to some knowledgeable folks, I would go so far as to say Mike may well have a stronger connection/affection/bond with Al than with Bruce. But, I think all the stuff that went down in 1997/98 just made it easier for Mike to "leave" Al and keep Bruce on as the other "long-time" guy.

It may also be worth noting, again based on my own observations and others', that if someone forced me to say who the weirdest guy in the band was/is, I'd say Bruce. Yes, I'm including Brian in that equation.

Mike is great with fans in any public setting I can think of, and is certainly aware of the PR side of things to some degree, so I don't think he's unaware of at least some of the reputation Bruce has with some fans.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 01:14:20 PM »

Why does the guy need Mike to sign all those crappy compilation albums....surely the studio ones are enough.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »

This is most certainly a paid private signing conducted by some autograph dealers based out of Philadelphia. I'm not sure who is talking to Mike, but I got the impression he was referring to an autograph collectors show called Chiller Expo. I know that Al Jardine did something similar in California a couple years back, but I'm not aware of Mike doing anything like that besides book signings and the concert meet & greets. The same gentleman can be heard talking about prior memorabilia deals with James Gandolfini and selling his screen worn shirts, suggesting they could get $500-$1000 for stage worn shirts.

Before anyone attacks Mike for signing autographs for a fee, there are many videos online posted by this same dealers, where Mike signed stacks of albums for them at airports, hotels, etc. for free. I've heard Mike has become tougher about signing "on the street" and would not be surprised if it is due to autograph dealers like these guys who have taken advantage of Mike's willingness to sign in years past.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »

It's funny; I have no firm answer as to what's "right" or not about the whole machine that is autographs.

But I sometimes am a big perplexed when people who by all accounts are not financially struggling seem to complain about autographs being sold nearly 60 years into their career. There's always the option of *not* signing, which can result in some awkwardness with autograph seekers. But signing one item for a fan after a show (where they most likely bought a ticket to the show) is quite different from autograph hounds at airports with stacks of items to sign.

I wouldn't frown on Mike or anybody else doing paid signings; is it really that different from selling "Meet and Greet" packages?

Ironically, "selfies" are replacing autographs more and more, certainly among fans who seek such things out. I'm curious if some segments of autograph collecting are seeing a downturn in interest and/or prices, especially among still-living "celebrities" who have been singing for decades and decades.

It's worth noting that none of the still-living BBs command a super high price for autographs as far as I can tell. All of them have remained (relatively speaking) accessible to either get an in-person autograph or purchase one through official means.

I tend to doubt a seller would get a ton for a "hits" vinyl package with Mike signature. What they may be trying to do is amass all four or five signatures. A legit piece signed by all five main surviving members would of course command a higher price.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 01:50:30 PM »

So bizarre; I know it has gone on for eons, but seeing those hundreds of videos listed of mostly annoyed, dead-faced, if not pissed-off-looking celebrities signing is just weird. I have to imagine they have found what works for getting through airports faster and whatnot, so maybe it's easier to sign a stack of photos than to say "no thanks" a thousand times.

But again, a dude with a stack of LPs at the airport is obviously an autograph dealer, as opposed to a fan after a show asking for one item, etc.

I'd have to imagine this is Mike doing a paid "private" signing (in this case probably 15-30 minutes in a hotel room or something), but I have to wonder how much these guys are getting for weird, old , cheapo BB comps signed by Mike.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »

It's worth noting that none of the still-living BBs command a super high price for autographs as far as I can tell. All of them have remained (relatively speaking) accessible to either get an in-person autograph or purchase one through official means.

I wonder what the oddest BBs item that's autographed by a BB member would be. Like has Mike ever signed (or been asked to sign) a copy of POB? He did cowrite lyrics on a song there. Same with if Mike's ever been asked to sign Imagination, seeing as he wrote original lyrics for the BBs remakes.

I was sent a promo CD with "You're Welcome" on it circa 2002 (if memory serves) from the Carl Wilson Foundation after having attended one of their events; I assumed it was pretty rare, and I had Brian sign it at a GIOMH autograph signing, along with a DVD-Audio version of Pet Sounds.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 06:54:50 PM »

Alright, Some guy uploaded a ton of short videos of Mike signing massive amounts of albums... Pretty nice of Mike if you ask me. I bet he signed over a hundred. Anyway, some interesting things came up. An album by The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean sparked Mike's interest, on the 73 live album the guy asks if Blondie was on that record to which Mike replies yes, but doesn't say anything else, Celebration comes up... You can watch the videos, some interesting things come up......

But in the final video, something really sparked my attention. The guy talks about Mike making an appearance at an event, to which Mike hesitates and says "well....ummmm...Honestly," and the video cuts off.   (watch the video here if you like ,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA_0sxrtEXg)

In my opinion, Mike doesn't sound too thrilled at the idea of Bruce coming along. Is this because it brings the attention off of him? If Bruce came, it would be seen as "The Beach Boys" or "Two of The Beach Boys" instead of "Mike Love". And maybe Mike doesn't like the idea of the spotlight being taken away from him, which we know is certainly plausible. But let's play devil's advocate, and say that Mike's ego isn't the case. Is there any chance that Mike & Bruce offstage and offscreen aren't particularly fond of each other and have a sole business relationship? That seems plausible to me. But maybe I'm just a cynic.

Maybe I'm reading into all of this too much... But if anyone here has any insight, I'd be curious to know what Mike might have said.

No. Mike just doesn't want to entertain/commit to any invitation from these used car dealer hacks.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 08:56:50 PM »

No. Mike just doesn't want to entertain/commit to any invitation from these used car dealer hacks.

That's kind of the vibe I was getting ... certainly what I would be thinking in this scene ha.

It's hard to infer anything from that clip. For all we know, he said, "To tell you the truth, I don't even want to go."

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »

I wonder what the oddest BBs item that's autographed by a BB member would be. Like has Mike ever signed (or been asked to sign) a copy of POB? He did cowrite lyrics on a song there. Same with if Mike's ever been asked to sign Imagination, seeing as he wrote original lyrics for the BBs remakes.

I was sent a promo CD with "You're Welcome" on it circa 2002 (if memory serves) from the Carl Wilson Foundation after having attended one of their events; I assumed it was pretty rare, and I had Brian sign it at a GIOMH autograph signing, along with a DVD-Audio version of Pet Sounds.

I recall seeing clips of Dave being handed assorted BB albums he didn’t play on to sign during the C50 and thinking that’s not right. It was probably easier to sign them than not I guess.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 07:37:19 AM »

I know this is way off topic, but what is this CD? I've never even heard of it. Is it just one track? Is it on Discogs or do you have a scan? I don't want to buy a copy or anything, I just think it's incredibly freaking random!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 09:11:31 AM »

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/beach-boys-carl-wilson-promo-cd-129850979
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 10:52:49 AM »

I would like Mike to sign this CD for me.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 11:16:24 AM »

LOL LOL
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 06:57:22 AM »

I recall seeing clips of Dave being handed assorted BB albums he didn’t play on to sign during the C50 and thinking that’s not right. It was probably easier to sign them than not I guess.
What made you think it isn't right? It's very easy thing to do, wouldn't hurt & be skin off him if he signs albums he isn't pictured. Doesn't seem big deal. Besides, even if he didn't play, say, Pet Sounds, he'd been BB when they began & the band going to different path with PS without him didn't & will not brush it away.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 06:59:47 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 08:06:01 AM »

People will sometimes even ask tour backing band members to sign vintage BB albums. It's really up to the signer and the signee(?) I guess. If they both don't mind, hey, it's their property.

I recall a story of someone asking Scott Totten to sign a copy of Pet Sounds, and he understandably was hesitant and had to be talked into it, after it was explained that the person asking was well aware he isn't on the album.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 08:31:40 AM »

What made you think it isn't right? It's very easy thing to do, wouldn't hurt & be skin off him if he signs albums he isn't pictured. Doesn't seem big deal. Besides, even if he didn't play, say, Pet Sounds, he'd been BB when they began & the band going to different path with PS without him didn't & will not brush it away.

People will sometimes even ask tour backing band members to sign vintage BB albums. It's really up to the signer and the signee(?) I guess. If they both don't mind, hey, it's their property.

I recall a story of someone asking Scott Totten to sign a copy of Pet Sounds, and he understandably was hesitant and had to be talked into it, after it was explained that the person asking was well aware he isn't on the album.

As HeyJude said, to each their own. I know Blondie, David and Bruce all get asked to sign albums on which they do not appear. I personally would not include a member on a record in which they didn't play or sing, but also understand that some people don't care. I had Al sign my Surfer Girl and Bruce sign my Pet Sounds even though they are not pictured on the front cover of the album.

I think with some of these autograph dealers, it is an extra signature on an album and they think they might get more money with it on the album than not. I would personally have no interest in a Pet Sounds album signed by Brian, Al and Blondie--though you see a lot of those popping up following the early run of the Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Tour when they were still signing personal items during the meet and greet.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 08:45:21 AM »

So bizarre; I know it has gone on for eons, but seeing those hundreds of videos listed of mostly annoyed, dead-faced, if not pissed-off-looking celebrities signing is just weird. I have to imagine they have found what works for getting through airports faster and whatnot, so maybe it's easier to sign a stack of photos than to say "no thanks" a thousand times.

But again, a dude with a stack of LPs at the airport is obviously an autograph dealer, as opposed to a fan after a show asking for one item, etc.

I'd have to imagine this is Mike doing a paid "private" signing (in this case probably 15-30 minutes in a hotel room or something), but I have to wonder how much these guys are getting for weird, old , cheapo BB comps signed by Mike.

Sadly, I think all of the living Beach Boys signatures are undervalued compared to some of their musical equals. That certainly has a lot to do with their fan accessibility and their willingness to sign.

Having Carl and, especially, Dennis on a band signed piece instantly pushes an items value up exponentially. Mike alone on an album $20-25. Add Al, Bruce and/or David on an album in various combinations it's probably in the $50-$75 range. Brian alone is less than $100 on a solo album (I've been trying to sell a No Pier Pressure for months for $90 delivered with no takers), probably just over a $100 on any BBs album (with Pet Sounds or Smile getting a premium).

Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce on Pet Sounds is $200-$300 (depending on quality of the signatures, condition of the album, etc.).

Again, this all has to do with supply and demand. Brian's signatures were selling for quite a bit more 4-5 years ago when he was touring as much. Once he started touring more and signed during meet and greets, the value took a bit of a dip. As he has stopped signing personal items the past 12-18 months, prices have steadily gone up, but nothing near what it was a 4-5 years ago.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 08:50:03 AM »

LOL LOL LOL Pirate High Five Happy Dance w00t! w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up Drinking Buddies

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 09:01:44 AM »

I don't closely follow the autograph market and don't collect them; I've just ended up with some.

But I think the value of a Brian autograph has also been impacted by multiple official releases that have included his autograph, including the Barnes & Noble exclusive "No Pier Pressure" vinyl and the PBS Soundstage release.

Same thing with Al and Mike; they've both sold (and otherwise sent out) autographed items.

It's frankly probably a bit harder to get Bruce's signature than some of the other guys, as you'd probably *have* to catch him at a Mike/Bruce show.

All five BB sigs (possible alleged Foskett sig notwithstanding) on an 8x10 C50 publicity photo could be purchased on the C50 tour for $50, with the tour program signed by all five going for $100.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 09:07:20 AM »

I would personally have no interest in a Pet Sounds album signed by Brian, Al and Blondie

Imagining Blondie's voice on the original album disturbs me.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »

I mean, part of me thinks that it could be slightly hurtful to Dave: having been pushed out of the band (I guess he quit, but I think it was due to Murry's bullying behavior) and now he's handed albums to sign that he could have played on had he stayed with the band post-'63

Like, if an NFL player were traded to another team, and his initial team then went on to win the Super Bowl, and during some NFL Convention he's asked to sign a replica Super Bowl trophy commemorating the win that he missed out on, it would probably be offensive and hurtful to the player...both that the "fan" didn't know that he wasn't on the team at that time, and that he is now reminded yet again that he wasn't around for this ultimate Championship victory.

So, I can see how it could be hurtful. That being said, I think Dave was probably just happy that he was a part of the C50 and that he was in the fandom spotlight again. Just my uneducated take on the matter.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 10:19:11 AM »

2 years ago Al would refuse signing a Surfin' Safari copy explaining he isn't even on the album.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 11:33:41 AM »

2 years ago Al would refuse signing a Surfin' Safari copy explaining he isn't even on the album.

But doesn't he play on the song "Surfin'"? Maybe Al forgot this?
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 03:11:21 AM »

On a related note, I did the meet and greet at Brian’s show a few years ago. I brought along Pet Sounds and Holland. I asked if Brian and Al only could sign Pet Sounds. But Blondie signed it anyway! I had mixed feelings being a bit of purist, but laughing at myself for being annoyed that two many Beach Boys had signed my record!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx