gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:16:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys - early radio broadcasts  (Read 7379 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 12:20:09 PM »

Similarly, Blondie supposedly popped up at show a few times in the 80s and/or 90s, and I'm not sure any post-1973 pics exist of Carl and Blondie.

Yeah, I think Blondie joined them in '95 or '96. Also during the 2012 the Boys and Blondie played the same city on the same day or one day apart and I had hoped he would show up at their concert, but he didn't.

Also there isn’t sadly the same demand as there is for ALL things Beatles. Hence things that may exist remain in a box. I have noticed it with photos-i have never found a photo of the proto-BBs before Dave but I guarantee they existed. So much value attached to the Beatles-that such artifacts are found and treated reverentially-not so the poor old bbs

Yes, every now and then some new pictures of the wild days turn up. But it really doesn't get much attention compared to the Beatles or Elvis. I can understand that in some way, but considering that the Beach Boys are often seen as the biggest american band, they are frightingly un-relevant (which imo has to do with how the band sold themselfes over the last decades, but that is another topic) in the public's eye.

Just to be clear, my question regarding keeping radio broadcasts in their archives was of course about later shows, when their show where regularly broadcasted.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 12:27:01 PM »

Yes, every now and then some new pictures of the wild days turn up. But it really doesn't get much attention compared to the Beatles or Elvis. I can understand that in some way, but considering that the Beach Boys are often seen as the biggest american band, they are frightingly un-relevant (which imo has to do with how the band sold themselfes over the last decades, but that is another topic) in the public's eye.

I think one big factor is how ubiquitous the Beach Boys have been, especially on the touring circuit, since the 60s. One of the reasons it's still a big deal when five random new photos surface of some mid-west stadium gig on the Beatles 1966 tour is that they didn't do a ton of touring in the US. I don't have the exact numbers, but I think the Beatles did a total of something around 60 shows in the US across three tours in 64, 65, and 66.

The Beach Boys by 1963 or 64 were first regionally, and then later nationally (and worldwide to some degree) regularly out there touring.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 04:15:47 PM »

I do. My first concert ever (16). Easily impressed but they were probably pretty bad, as was most of the tour. As mentioned, it was filmed and played once. QE 2 stadium which was destroyed in the Christchurch earthquake of 2011, and now demolished.
A few years back a poster here did say a friend of his went partying with Dennis after the show but could provide no details. I do remember a story in the main paper as it was a pretty big deal for a city of 300k. I think it was a sell-out of about 10k.

This audio is from the show apparently.

https://youtu.be/BgXCpFCaQGs

I may have been the poster you refer to. My friend, then aged in his late teens, spent time with Dennis although his encounter could not be described as partying. We both attended the show in Auckland but foolishly I declined his invitation to join him in Christchurch where he met Dennis and Brian and perhaps others. Photos were published in a short lived NZ fanzine he produced around the same time. I no longer have copies.

The BBs arrived in Auckland from LA and traveled onto Christchurch. Their arrival and an interview with Dennis was screened that evening on our main TV news. That’s how much of a big deal they were in NZ then. They flew back to Auckland the following day for the show. I went out to the airport and only got to see them boarding their bus. I later saw Carl in a limo at what appeared to be a one man soundcheck. He smiled and waved at me but what I recall was how pale he looked. Brian was also interviewed by Rip It Up magazine. The interviewer much later told me it was one of saddest and strangest interviews he'd ever done.

As for the Christchurch film. I wrote to TVNZ in 1980 with a view to obtaining a copy for showing at a NZ fan convention. I received a courteous reply declining my request on the basis that the rights were held by BRI or something like that. Ironically about 100 metres from where we held the fan convention Mike Love would spend several days more than 20 years later and my friend referred to above would chauffeur Brian and Jeff around Wellington after being asked to by Jeff rather than wait for their organised transport.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:19:01 PM by kiwi surfer » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx