gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:24:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys - early radio broadcasts  (Read 7372 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2018, 08:50:21 AM »

I was wondering, what exists in radio station's archives or in the Beach Boys' vaults in terms of radio broadcasts (live in studio or in concert). Especially from the early years. The Beatles have their BBC sessions series, the Stones also have their releases. Since the Beach Boys were just as big and touring so much, what could be out there, let's say from the very beginning 'til 1966?

I know of an australian broadcast ("What'd I say" comes from that) from '63, the '63 Y-Day- performance at the Hollywood Bowl, the swedish show (1964) and the BBC sessions from MIC (also 1964 iirc). The first two were as part of a bigger lineup. What about their european dates? Do you know of anything more?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 11:20:45 AM »

Sadly, probably not much - the '64 BBC session doesn't even exist in the radio vaults anymore; the source for the MIC release was some fan who taped it off the airwaves!
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 11:51:37 PM »

Back in 1978 when the Beach Boys toured Australia and New Zealand the Christchurch show was filmed and broadcast on TVNZ I remember watching it. Probably languishing some where on a dusty shelf

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 12:21:25 AM »

Back in 1978 when the Beach Boys toured Australia and New Zealand the Christchurch show was filmed and broadcast on TVNZ I remember watching it. Probably languishing some where on a dusty shelf
Do you have any specific memories you could share?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 01:19:20 AM »

I do. My first concert ever (16). Easily impressed but they were probably pretty bad, as was most of the tour. As mentioned, it was filmed and played once. QE 2 stadium which was destroyed in the Christchurch earthquake of 2011, and now demolished.
A few years back a poster here did say a friend of his went partying with Dennis after the show but could provide no details. I do remember a story in the main paper as it was a pretty big deal for a city of 300k. I think it was a sell-out of about 10k.

This audio is from the show apparently.

https://youtu.be/BgXCpFCaQGs

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 01:48:23 AM »

Thanks for the info. I'm very curios about this whole tour(perhaps only in what some would call a morbid way). It's odd that no footage of this show has turned up, given the fact that it was broadcast on tv. Were NZ behind the times, as far as tv preservation goes?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 04:39:14 AM »

The footage exists in the tv vault-it just hasn’t been booted or uploaded to YouTube. As I discussed in my book-the tour had a lot of problems. The performances are probably similar to the Melbourne show available online
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 08:08:29 AM »

But the interview the day after that show was uploaded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVTSzP2RdM

Sadly, probably not much - the '64 BBC session doesn't even exist in the radio vaults anymore; the source for the MIC release was some fan who taped it off the airwaves!

Too bad! I would have thought an act as big as the Beach Boys had more appearances like that or that more of their shows were broadcast.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 10:13:57 AM »

That after show interview is Perth.

Re the TV broadcast. You have to appreciate the situation in NZ at the time. We had our own Trump style leader with a ‘government knows best’ mindset. One TV channel govt run,later two, not in a propaganda style but a ‘why do you need more?’.

It would not surprise me in the slightest that another reason it has never resurfaced is the group prefer it that way. NZ has gone completely the other way 40 years later and I’m sure it could be available if management asked for it.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 10:19:27 AM »

Right-if you read my book-you will see that Carl got a bit wasted prior to the first Perth show and stumbled and mumbled throughout the show-he had to apologize on tv the next day and made it clear to the nervous promoters that it wouldn’t happen again
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 10:30:24 AM »

Carl actually also apologized during the second Perth show. You can hear Carl mention it on the circulating tape. Although I'm not to clear on exactly what Carl was apologizing for. I believe he apologizes to Brian for giving him a hard time on stage during the first show?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:31:24 AM by Jay » Logged

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 03:14:56 PM »

The tape I’ve heard is the first Perth show that Carlin describes in his Brian biography-with Brian singing the hum-de-dum section of good vibrations to get Carl to end the song
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 09:51:56 PM »

I've never really understood the argument that Brian started singing that part to get Carl to finish the song, because they did that part regularly in concert at the time.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 04:16:05 AM »

They did??? Not that I’m aware
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »

They didn't sing the hum-de-dum parts but did some other scatting. There's no clue that it was Smile-related other than the first example we have of it is on the Hawaii-rehearsal we can hear on "Hawthorne, CA", I think. I don't think the hum-de-dums were ever performed until Brian's solo touring.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »

They did??? Not that I’m aware
They performed the "hum be dum" part at Christchurch, New Zealand on February 28th, at Brisbane Australia on March 3rd, and the show in Perth. I have recordings of each show. I'm not sure if they did it at any of the other shows from that year, or if it was just for that short tour of New Zealand and Australia.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 04:17:26 PM »

Another interesting point I had never heard is the long outro to California Girls on the Christchurch tape. Was that regular for the time?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 09:41:46 AM »

Another interesting point I had never heard is the long outro to California Girls on the Christchurch tape. Was that regular for the time?
I haven't listened to that song on the tape. What's different/special about it?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 10:54:17 AM »

Go to 2.30 on the clip. Over a minute follows of the ‘I wish they all could be California Girls’ outro.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 07:39:06 AM »

Regarding radio broadcasts: How was that usually handled? Did the Beach Boys always keep a copy of each broadcast for their archives so that we can assume that they are still there and in presumably great quality? Or where they only kept by the radio station that did the broadcast (if at all)?

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 07:49:22 AM »

Regarding radio broadcasts: How was that usually handled? Did the Beach Boys always keep a copy of each broadcast for their archives so that we can assume that they are still there and in presumably great quality? Or where they only kept by the radio station that did the broadcast (if at all)?

I think the general answer is usually "probably not" and/or "maybe."

While the band captured multi-track (and/or live soundboard) audio on a number of concerts over the years (and also some pro-shot video), radio shows were generally under the purview of the station, and I'm guessing it's a total crapshoot as to whether a given station kept recordings. Often not I would assume. Sometimes, especially on later era multi-market simulcasts of live concerts (as opposed to in-studio radio shows), the chain of custody on tapes (and ownership of tapes) can get murky. Thus, a small group of BB shows have been ostensibly "released" by "Wolfgang's Vault" and related companies, usually because the Bill Graham operation (or other concert/radio concerns from back in the day) broadcast the shows and have tapes. So we've seen them release some 1979 and 1980 shows, and a few others (Fillmore East '71, Philly '95, etc.).

Famously, the BBC didn't keep many Beatles performances, and had to turn to home tapers and overseas tapes/transcription discs, etc. to release BBC recordings.

Apart from unique oddities done on TV and radio that *weren't* done in concert (e.g. "Slip on Through" in 1970), the BBs have plenty of live recordings in their own archive that they could release (both as individual shows and as compilations) that they wouldn't have to turn to radio broadcasts, especially for the later era.

The folks in the BB archives know what's rare and what's not; hence they knew they had something pretty unique with that 1964 BBC tape that was released on the "Made in California" set.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:50:22 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »

That sounds reasonable. Just wondered what might still be out there.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »

I think, with the Beach Boys, while they did do a number of local TV and radio gigs in the very early era, and then also other radio and TV stuff in the early-mid 60s, there just isn't the type of cache of material like what's available for the Beatles. There was no equivalent for the Beach Boys to the Beatles having that regular outlet recording and airing stuff on BBC for a good three years, amounting to hundreds of performances including dozens of songs they never recorded in the studio. Plus, it seems as though the Beatles had a pretty ardent fan base even very early on in the UK, thus a lot more people were likely taping the Beatles at home off of the BBC compared to what the BBs were doing on the radio.

Where there is a pretty nice wealth of material is recordings (made independently, or by the band themselves) of live concerts.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 11:36:02 AM »

Also there isn’t sadly the same demand as there is for ALL things Beatles. Hence things that may exist remain in a box. I have noticed it with photos-i have never found a photo of the proto-BBs before Dave but I guarantee they existed. So much value attached to the Beatles-that such artifacts are found and treated reverentially-not so the poor old bbs
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »

Also there isn’t sadly the same demand as there is for ALL things Beatles. Hence things that may exist remain in a box. I have noticed it with photos-i have never found a photo of the proto-BBs before Dave but I guarantee they existed. So much value attached to the Beatles-that such artifacts are found and treated reverentially-not so the poor old bbs

I've always been fascinated by the fact that no photo of Dave and Carl together post-1963 seems to have surfaced. Granted, they didn't cross paths a ton. But Dave was in their orb around 1971 for a bit, and appeared on stage now and then in the 80s and 90s. I wonder if some fan from a random (probably Southern California) gig in the 80s or 90s has a pic that has the two of them both in frame.

Similarly, Blondie supposedly popped up at show a few times in the 80s and/or 90s, and I'm not sure any post-1973 pics exist of Carl and Blondie.

The BBs kind of had/have the opposite problem on the back side of their career in that, while they toured incessantly in the 80s and 90s, there are proportionately few photos of some of that time. For instance, there are only a few audio recordings of the 1997 tour with Carl, only a few photos, and little in the way of video.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx