gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:43:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was there an original cover for Sweet Insanity  (Read 2874 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »

We've seen the boots with the dodgy artwork, but was there an official cover, before the album was shelved by Sire?

Spotted on amazon.co.uk, a mounted mini poster, the image taken from a rare rock art book:

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 01:02:42 AM »

That has to be the most early 90s-looking artwork I've ever seen. So damn bland, it's like some foofoo artwork that Landy would have stood at a gallery admiring circa 1990.

Good question though. It most certainly wouldn't have been the awful artwork as seen on the boot versions, so maybe this was what was actually considered for "real" artwork.

One interesting question to ponder: what would the fate of the album have been had it actually been released, with regards to reissues and just plain old acknowledgement of its existence? Obviously the title is in bad taste (and almost certainly a Landy idea too), and seeing as Landy's name has been removed from previous BBs/BW releases, would this album be treated much like SIP, where it's not even acknowledged in the BW catalog in an "official" capacity?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 01:04:02 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 01:38:01 AM »

One interesting question to ponder: what would the fate of the album have been had it actually been released, with regards to reissues and just plain old acknowledgement of its existence? Obviously the title is in bad taste (and almost certainly a Landy idea too), and seeing as Landy's name has been removed from previous BBs/BW releases, would this album be treated much like SIP, where it's not even acknowledged in the BW catalog in an "official" capacity?
It probably wouldn't have been on online streaming service, just like Gettin' In Over My Head.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 03:58:03 PM »

It probably wouldn't have been on online streaming service, just like Gettin' In Over My Head.

Why isn't Gettin' In Over My Head on any online streaming service?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »

Good question! Live at the Roxy isn’t either, and it’s pretty darn good!
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »

I want that cover to put on to my sweet insanity boot...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »

I was just thinking about this the other day. I wondered if it was the record company (Rhino) just not allowing their music to be streamed (as some I think do). But a quick search and Rhino definitely distributes on streaming services.

I can’t imagine it’s because someone thinks it’s not worth bothering with. It’s not the best album but it’s got some pretty decent songs on it too. Would love to see this and Roxy put up.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 07:45:41 PM »

I was just thinking about this the other day. I wondered if it was the record company (Rhino) just not allowing their music to be streamed (as some I think do). But a quick search and Rhino definitely distributes on streaming services.

I can’t imagine it’s because someone thinks it’s not worth bothering with. It’s not the best album but it’s got some pretty decent songs on it too. Would love to see this and Roxy put up.

Could it be indicative of a legal issue with regards to Eugene Landy's name having been removed from the credits of songs on GIOMH?  

Despite the fact that he was a terrible human, I've always found it suspicious that his name could just be removed from credits, because if he wrote some lyrics ( I assume that some lyrics which he actually contributed are still part of those re-recorded releases, despite him trying to overreach with credits)... it's similar to rewriting history to pretend that he didn't. Maybe this is completely not the reason why that album is missing from streaming services, but it did just cross my mind.  

Could he have surrendered all of his credits permanently in 1992 when he was legally forced to stay away from Brian?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:50:04 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 06:10:41 AM »

That has to be the most early 90s-looking artwork I've ever seen. So damn bland, it's like some foofoo artwork that Landy would have stood at a gallery admiring circa 1990.

Good question though. It most certainly wouldn't have been the awful artwork as seen on the boot versions, so maybe this was what was actually considered for "real" artwork.

I think, considering SI would have occured under relatively similar circumstances to the BW '88 album (e.g. heavy Landy involvement, originally released through Warner/Sire Records, Landy's name stripped from song credits in later years), it would have likely remained in print in a similar fashion as BW '88. Maybe SI wouldn't have gotten a deluxe treatment the way the '88 album did in 2000, assuming SI would have been a commercial/critical relative failure. But, much like BW '88 was around for awhile, then went OOP (but was still attainable for a relatively cheap price on the used market), and was eventually reissued a few times, a similar fate could have occurred with SI.

It's possible, I suppose, that SI would have been more closely tied into the super awkward, messy extraction of Brian from Landy circa 1992.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 06:13:51 AM »

I believe Brian/BriMel owns the rights to both albums. If you look at copies of GIOMH, it's owned by BriMel and licensed to Rhino/Warner. In the case of Roxy, it initially was released direct by BriMel on the internet, eventually finding some indie distributors for a couple of reissues.

It could be that the labels licensing those albums have a say in their distribution, but I'm guessing both of these albums have probably reverted to BriMel and for whatever reason they haven't seen fit to put them back out digitally.

They did, of course, place songs from both albums on the "Playback" compilation.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx