gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:40:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1969-70 Copyright Extension Release Prediction Thread  (Read 19146 times)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »

Oh, I agree that it is not indicative of their total output, not by a long shot,  but I personally don't think it is the kind of thing that affects sales, and the fact is, they are known for the songs about teenage culture + Pet Sounds, so I get it. It really is safest to play up that aspect and let people discover the other sides of the band at this point. If it was 1971, of course, I'd say they should play up the other sides more. But my experience preaching the Beach Boys gospels is that most people really don't care about the other sides of the band. It's like, their minds are already made up.

That's why I think their GV Boxset look is the better route to take. Where the Beach Boys are known for surfing, and not really known as a school-related-activities band, I just think it makes more sense to market the former rather than the latter. I think CabinessenceKing said it best about MiC:

The set has a low aestethical appeal. That bland, bright orange cover. There is no contrast of colours or vividness in the colours used. There is no message in that cover; no Sounds of Summer, no Endless Summer!  That hideous 15 Big Ones logo (aesthetically awful and cheesy) blended into the background and the wave motif didn't work at all.

The GV Boxset was very clear about what it was, and I think it does a good job of drawing people in. So I'm not at all against them using their early years as a marketing tool to increase appeal of a boxset/set. But at least give it some appeal...make it obvious what you're going for at least. You can't even really tell it's a yearbook theme until you open the set up. Again I'll say: I like the set. But put the GV set (surfing) and MiC (yearbook) in front of a casual fan with $100 and I'd bet they would pic the more aesthetically pleasing GV set. Just my opinion.

I think we both agree that marketing the early years of the band is a good route to take though.
Yeah, I see what you are saying and I agree: the GV box had a good design, probably better than MIC. But I also see that they didn't want to repeat it.

What I actually think I disagree with just about everybody is that the design  really impacted sales. It's just a tough sell to casuals and fan-base folk alike. I bought it because it had 70 new songs, if you count the new mixes. (And yeah, some of those I had already, but it was nice to be able to actually purchase them.)

But I honestly think that the Beach Boys get right is embracing their early days (from a sales perspective). But Maybe a psychedelic looking cover a la Smiley Smile or Wild Honey might catch the eye of a few folks. But ultimately, I don't think that a $130 dollar box sets are sold because of the look of the box, anyway.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2019, 01:11:08 PM »

Oh, I agree that it is not indicative of their total output, not by a long shot,  but I personally don't think it is the kind of thing that affects sales, and the fact is, they are known for the songs about teenage culture + Pet Sounds, so I get it. It really is safest to play up that aspect and let people discover the other sides of the band at this point. If it was 1971, of course, I'd say they should play up the other sides more. But my experience preaching the Beach Boys gospels is that most people really don't care about the other sides of the band. It's like, their minds are already made up.

That's why I think their GV Boxset look is the better route to take. Where the Beach Boys are known for surfing, and not really known as a school-related-activities band, I just think it makes more sense to market the former rather than the latter. I think CabinessenceKing said it best about MiC:

The set has a low aestethical appeal. That bland, bright orange cover. There is no contrast of colours or vividness in the colours used. There is no message in that cover; no Sounds of Summer, no Endless Summer!  That hideous 15 Big Ones logo (aesthetically awful and cheesy) blended into the background and the wave motif didn't work at all.

The GV Boxset was very clear about what it was, and I think it does a good job of drawing people in. So I'm not at all against them using their early years as a marketing tool to increase appeal of a boxset/set. But at least give it some appeal...make it obvious what you're going for at least. You can't even really tell it's a yearbook theme until you open the set up. Again I'll say: I like the set. But put the GV set (surfing) and MiC (yearbook) in front of a casual fan with $100 and I'd bet they would pic the more aesthetically pleasing GV set. Just my opinion.

I think we both agree that marketing the early years of the band is a good route to take though.
Yeah, I see what you are saying and I agree: the GV box had a good design, probably better than MIC. But I also see that they didn't want to repeat it.

What I actually think I disagree with just about everybody is that the design  really impacted sales. It's just a tough sell to casuals and fan-base folk alike. I bought it because it had 70 new songs, if you count the new mixes. (And yeah, some of those I had already, but it was nice to be able to actually purchase them.)

But I honestly think that the Beach Boys get right is embracing their early days (from a sales perspective). But Maybe a psychedelic looking cover a la Smiley Smile or Wild Honey might catch the eye of a few folks. But ultimately, I don't think that a $130 dollar box sets are sold because of the look of the box, anyway.

To be fair to anyone involved in this convo, I think just one person implied that it really impacted sales. I will say that it was one of many reasons for it not to do well, but definitely not one of the main reasons...My initial post about the reasons behind MiC's lack of success didn't include the design.

And honestly design of a product are one of the reasons people pick up a set at a store or click on a link online. So while I don't think it made a major impact, even $130 items need to be eye candy. The SMiLE boxset was a friggin masterpiece of art. It's the best looking boxset I own (and likely will ever own), not because of the Smile artwork, but because of what they did with that artwork. So while it didn't impact whether or not I was going to buy it, I'd bet that someone was intrigued by the 3-dimensional artwork enough to pick it up at the store and get interested in what the contents of the box were. It all helps in the long run.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:14:11 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2019, 01:11:28 PM »

There is an aspect of this which is or could be a really deep discussion, and that is where it touches on the way these things are released and made available in general. It's even been touched on in the book discussion, how some are asking if a Kindle version would be made available, and how the actual physical copy's cost would be much higher due to international shipping concerns and the like.

The timing was there in 1993 for the GV box set - It was coming in the middle of what I call "Box Set Mania", where the labels and artists were opening their archives mostly for the first time and putting together these lavish CD box sets and fans who were a little older and had more disposable income to buy them were actually going to Tower and other brick and mortar shops and buying them. I remember Goldmine magazine when the Spector set came out had a rundown of what other boxes were coming out, everything from Chuck Berry to Chicago to CSN&Y, some much better than others. Then the labels started putting out the really lavish sets, the "sessions" type of collections where 6 discs might be devoted to how one album was created...and of course back in '94 the talk was of both a Pet Sounds and a Smile sessions project on the way...both of which finally came out.

But point is, there was a market for it, and people were willing to buy CD box sets.

When more people connected to the web, and that annoying Napster kid showed up as the face of online music with an algorithm allowing free downloads for those who wanted it, the game changed.

I'd say comparing the sales of the GV boxset with the MIC boxset may not be a fair contest, mainly because GV '93 came out in a market where the CD box was the primary delivery system for this kind of thing, and where people were still updating their collections from vinyl and tape. MIC, that came into a different world more or less.

It also doesn't help when the band itself has an image which is schizophrenic at best, and has been for several decades to where a set like Sunshine Tomorrow comes out at the same time a homemade video showing the Love-Stamos-McGrath trio comes out to plug an "updated" single release version of a Beach Boys hit from the 60's, and the band carrying the name barely promotes the archival release over the new remake(s). The lines are blurred to the point where fans have two entities of the same band and music, and one will suffer in terms of the less-invested fanbase deciding what is what.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 01:41:02 PM »

I'd say comparing the sales of the GV boxset with the MIC boxset may not be a fair contest, mainly because GV '93 came out in a market where the CD box was the primary delivery system for this kind of thing, and where people were still updating their collections from vinyl and tape. MIC, that came into a different world more or less.

It also doesn't help when the band itself has an image which is schizophrenic at best, and has been for several decades to where a set like Sunshine Tomorrow comes out at the same time a homemade video showing the Love-Stamos-McGrath trio comes out to plug an "updated" single release version of a Beach Boys hit from the 60's, and the band carrying the name barely promotes the archival release over the new remake(s). The lines are blurred to the point where fans have two entities of the same band and music, and one will suffer in terms of the less-invested fanbase deciding what is what.

Your entire post was great, but focussing on these two quoted points.

The first, I think you're right about the unfair comparison. And I agree that the climate these sets were released in has changed, which makes it more odd that they'd almost emulate the GV set (with updated rarities and mixes and a different look) rather than making a totally different beast. I know there are many differences between the two, but overall the discs follow the same template. Just my opinion. One of too many I've made in this thread LOL

The second point, couldn't agree more about the band image being all over the place. It's funny that some tend to think that stuff you mentioned doesn't matter, that the 60s music lives on and that nothing the band does these days will affect those things, but the proof is in all the absolute negative press this band gets from time to time anymore. Even when these guys get together the press has to mention the fractious relationship these guys have.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2019, 08:58:29 PM »

I do know someone but not Personally her name is Trisha Campo she can help she knows The Beach  Boys since 1972

I had a fast Life
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2019, 07:04:01 AM »

I do know someone but not Personally her name is Trisha Campo she can help she knows The Beach  Boys since 1972

Trisha Campo passed away a couple of years back.
stinkynimrod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2019, 06:47:50 AM »

just bumping this thread since there's been no activity in 3 months to say im EX CITED for whenever this stuff lands. especially for whatever's gonna involve All I Wanna Do and This Whole World.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2019, 07:26:44 AM »

A question that came to me when I listened to Audree singing on the 20/20 copyright extension set: Did "The Many Moods of Murry Wilson" get any type of extension release in 2017?
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2019, 03:04:05 PM »

"The Many Moods of Murry Wilson" is out on iTunes.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx