gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:23:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All I Wanna Do - What were The BBs trying to achieve with it?  (Read 15945 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »

It just dawned on me that there is a great fuzz guitar part that is buried in the mix during the chorus.

I would've had to have heard this with previous listens, but I don't think I ever acknowledged it. Man there's so much in this mix, I don't want to say "buried" in the mix because much of the atmospherics are intentionally nestled lower in the mix over the vocals. All the more reason for that Sunflower boxset...

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2019, 07:56:03 AM »

The production is reminiscent of Chip Douglas's work for the Turtles Present the Battle of the Bands (1968) -- that lush, shimmering, floating sound. Listen, for instance, to the song 'You Showed Me'.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »

I don't see this song as Psychedelic but more of a Sunshine Pop song with tons of delay and a crunchy keyboard texture. Things on Smile, Smiley Smile, 20/20 and even GV's have more of a classic Psych vibe than All I Wanna Do. It is closer to what the Turtles were doing but with an added production gauze that makes it trippier than the composition really is. Take all that away and Mikes vocal is pretty straight, the song pretty simple. Give Carl credit for pulling together an interesting mix that takes it to an artistic level that is unique in the Beach Boys canon.

Yes, Jon, I think it's really largely about the sonic trippy textures as well as the mix. I adore the sound of how near the end of the fadeout, the lyrics "my moon and the stars shine nightly" start to get out of sync from the song (I see this as a trippy artistic decision, although I suppose it's possible it was just a goof that sounds cool). I guess it's more just very interesting sonic textures and a mixing/production gauze that is fascinating.

It seems there's a whole generation of musicians who are gradually growing to see this song as a forerunner to modern psychedelic bands like My Bloody Valentine, Tame Impala, Slowdive, etc, and I definitely see a through-line too. It's unbelievavbly modern-sounding in certain ways, and it's particularly peculiar/baffling that The BBs never ever did another song that remotely sounds like it, in my opinion.

It's like they just reached into the future and gifted the world with a forerunner to a modern sound for one brief moment, then went back to 1969 and kept making music that sounded totally different from it.
I agree that the track is warped in a really good way, probably happy semi-mistakes in over-wetting and over-delaying and creating a very cool sonic traffic jam that if you've taken acid is probably familiar. Glad they left it weird and didn't try to clean it up. There is such a happy euphoric feel that then devolves into uncertainty and semi-cacophony. BTW I do hear Brian in the vocal mix for sure. I guess I have difficulty with this being thought of as pioneering psychedelia due to the fact that the composition just isn't and the fact that it was released quite a few years after the psychedelic genre had been defined and perfected and even moved on from by those who did it best. All I Wanna Do is either post-psychedelia impressionistic residue, or as you said it's pioneering something else entirely, like maybe surrealist synthy bliss rock. Anyway, great track, and it fascinated me the second it hit my ears back in the 70's.

That's an interesting and I feel accurate assertion with regards to its context and genre.

I think "pioneering surrealist synthy bliss rock" is the most accurate description I've ever heard for this song  Smiley

Also would be a suitable description for the Cigarettes After Sex album, of which All I Wanna Do is surely a precursor if not a direct influence, to add to upthread references of the likes of  Tame Impala etc.

It just dawned on me that there is a great fuzz guitar part that is buried in the mix during the chorus.

I'd never noticed that until Scott Totten decided to emphasise it for recent live performances...very cool that he did that though I personally like that it isn't too prominent in the studio version.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »

Mike's lyric: "Oo let these little words of love
Come romance and light your way" is sublime.

Almost as good as "I don't know where but she sends me there."

Actually, it's "become the lamps that light your way". According to the official sheet music.  Smiley
Even cooler!

It's infinitely better, thank you  Smokin Afro

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2019, 10:12:14 AM »

I don't see this song as Psychedelic but more of a Sunshine Pop song with tons of delay and a crunchy keyboard texture. Things on Smile, Smiley Smile, 20/20 and even GV's have more of a classic Psych vibe than All I Wanna Do. It is closer to what the Turtles were doing but with an added production gauze that makes it trippier than the composition really is. Take all that away and Mikes vocal is pretty straight, the song pretty simple. Give Carl credit for pulling together an interesting mix that takes it to an artistic level that is unique in the Beach Boys canon.

Calling this psychedelic is like calling the Kinks' song Lazy Old Sun psychedelic.  It has a soundscape similarly drenched with reverb and delay, but the lyrics and the intent were anything but psychedelic, even though Lazy Old Sun was at least produced in the prime psychedelic time period of 1967.  In fact the only song by the Kinks I would label as psychedelic is Lavender Hill, although Ray has subsequently claimed he was making fun of the hippies with that song (I'm not convinced that was the case).
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2019, 12:34:28 PM »

Calling this psychedelic is like calling the Kinks' song Lazy Old Sun psychedelic.  It has a soundscape similarly drenched with reverb and delay, but the lyrics and the intent were anything but psychedelic, even though Lazy Old Sun was at least produced in the prime psychedelic time period of 1967.  In fact the only song by the Kinks I would label as psychedelic is Lavender Hill, although Ray has subsequently claimed he was making fun of the hippies with that song (I'm not convinced that was the case).

Perhaps the song isn't best categorized as "Psychedelic" in terms of the Psychedelic 1960s Genre, where attributes of that as an actual genre are probably more clearly defined.
But to my ears, without a doubt, the song is very psychedelic in nature, in terms of a descriptive term (not necessarily adhering to the genre of the same name).

I feel like in modern music terms, people would at least partly apply "Psychedelic" in terms of a genre name to a song like All I Wanna Do, because I think "Psychedelic" has become more of a general term these days, without the parameters of 1960s Psychedelia.

Either way, the song and it's production/mix (props to Stephen and Carl!) was definitely pioneering some genre bending stuff, and seems to be a precursor to the genres of Shoegaze, Dreampop, and Chillwave, in a manner that I've never heard from any other artist of this era. Just breathtaking.

I'm so, so, soooo looking forward to hearing this song dissected on the next Copyright Extension Release.
Crossing my fingers for:

-a brand new remix of the full song
- a vocals-only mix
- a backing track only-mix
- a backing track + backing vocals only mix
- session outtakes

I'd die a happy man if we could get those.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:40:10 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2019, 02:07:25 PM »

I'm not sure about it being psychedelic.

It does seem to be considered a forerunner to shoegaze / one of the first examples of chillwave though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chillwave

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2019, 04:24:42 PM »

Not sure why you'd want "a brand new remix of the full song" - the released version is absolutely perfect, and any remix attempt would likely not live up to that.
I can see the value in releasing the other configurations you're hoping for.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2019, 09:54:57 PM »

Not sure why you'd want "a brand new remix of the full song" - the released version is absolutely perfect, and any remix attempt would likely not live up to that.
I can see the value in releasing the other configurations you're hoping for.

I agree it is perfect as is. I guess I meant I've just heard "spruced-up" new/fresh mixes of BBs songs that breath even more new life into already amazing productions.

Mainly I suppose I am thinking of my past jaw-dropping glee upon hearing new stereo mixes of songs previously only heard in mono BW mixes, which are often revelatory. Please Let Me Wonder and the entire Wild Honey album being good examples to my ears.

I should also add that while I'd be curious to hear a fresh All I Wanna Do mix that adheres to the basis principles of the original mix, I am also one of (rare-ish?) fans of the 2013 MIC work done on Sail Plane Song, since we always have the original version on EH to listen to. So I wouldn't be opposed to a special extra spacey liberty-taking new mix on AIWD, either Smiley
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:59:44 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2019, 10:27:56 PM »

I'm not sure about it being psychedelic.

It does seem to be considered a forerunner to shoegaze / one of the first examples of chillwave though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chillwave

Definitely. I myself was heavily influenced by it. I find it to be absolutely perfect in all aspects

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx