gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:22:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keepin' the "Alternate" Summer Alive  (Read 9549 times)
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 09:16:02 PM »

No, I love Sunshine!!!!

(Yeah I know that makes me one of like 3 people)
I'm one of those 3 as well.  Grin  I love the song. I'm honestly surprised people tend to be lukewarm on it when discussing KTSA. It's so sweet and joyful and a little zany.

Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 11:14:27 PM »

If I was to improve this album I would have to add some Dennis songs. So this would be my track listing

1. Some Of Your Love
2. Keepin’ The Summer Alive
3. Livin’ With A Heartache
4. School Day(Ring Ring Goes The Bell)
5. Goin’ To The Beach
6. Wild Situation

7. Goin’ On
8. Oh Darlin’
9. Sunshine
10. Santa Ana Winds
11. It’s Not Too Late
12. Endless Harmony
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2018, 12:12:59 AM »

Replace # 4 with Its a Beautiful Day and that’s actually a damn good album.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2018, 02:47:21 AM »

Actually yeah o agree with you
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2018, 03:36:17 AM »

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 03:58:10 AM by lance » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2018, 12:15:40 PM »

Keepin the Summer Alive was such a misfire, it would have to be re-recorded to have any chance to make it on a good album; School Days, should not be a Beach Boys' album; Goin To The Beach, how did this not make it onto the album, it's the liveliest and most pleasing track, perfect for summer; It's A Beautiful Day is ruined by Mike Love's odd vocal style on this song.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2018, 02:14:58 PM »

It's A Beautiful Day is ruined by Mike Love's odd vocal style on this song.

Agreed. Much material around this time (I'd say starting as early as the "sun ocean spray" lyric on "It's OK" and continuing into songs on KTSA and BB85) are to some degree ruined by Mike's vocals becoming almost a caricature.

It's odd because I don't think it was any sort of vocal deterioration, but more of an exaggerated attempt at overcompensating to resemble his vocal delivery from the early '60s. It's like somebody doing a bad Mike vocal impression as a joke, but it's Mike doing it to himself. I'm glad Mike eventually started singing more in the hushed Kokomo tone which resembles his Meant For You tone, both of which IMO suit his range MUCH better, especially as he got older.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2018, 04:04:05 PM »

He also sang in the same style on Santa Ana Winds, which I like, but it could have been much better without his vocal.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2018, 04:50:42 PM »

Agreed. Much material around this time (I'd say starting as early as the "sun ocean spray" lyric on "It's OK" and continuing into songs on KTSA and BB85) are to some degree ruined by Mike's vocals becoming almost a caricature.

It's odd because I don't think it was any sort of vocal deterioration, but more of an exaggerated attempt at overcompensating to resemble his vocal delivery from the early '60s. It's like somebody doing a bad Mike vocal impression as a joke, but it's Mike doing it to himself. I'm glad Mike eventually started singing more in the hushed Kokomo tone which resembles his Meant For You tone, both of which IMO suit his range MUCH better, especially as he got older.

What I’ve never understood about that was the fact that he was doing the very best vocals of his career right before then!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »

What I’ve never understood about that was the fact that he was doing the very best vocals of his career right before then!

I think it's because it was a very intentional (forced) attempt to "recapture" something for the past, coinciding with the band's massive post-Holland artistic decay. A very conscious attempt to make things sound "like they used to" usually spells death for art, and not just with Mike - for many musicians in general. Whereas Mike's vox on the early 70s BBs stuff was really - seemingly - an attempt to artistically mature. In these mid to late 70s and KTSA songs, Mike's voice often sounds like the scene from a documentary where Brian has Al pinch his nose at the piano.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »

To go off on a tangent from this for a second...what would be the track order for a BBs compilation where they decided to move away from their "established style" and swim in the currents of other dominant genres? Are there enough of those to make an LP? And on a scale of 1-10 just how excruciating etc. would it be? Start with "Louie Louie" and work your way up (or down, depending on your perspective) to the present day....
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »

That’s a great idea for another thread. I think there would’ve been enough

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2018, 11:27:02 AM »

"....the band's massive post-Holland artistic decay...."

I like it when a phrase turns up every now and then that really hits the nail on the head

I've told people, even those only half-interested, that there's no greater consecutive (studio) album release difference in approach, style, and performance to be found anywhere than Beach Boys HOLLAND vs.  15 BIG ONES

WTF's echoing for an eternity
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2018, 12:47:26 PM »

The band, individually and collectively, continued to write and in many cases record excellent material post-Holland. It's a matter of whether they released that material or not.

Dennis had tons of top notch stuff in the can while the band released "15 Big Ones" and "MIU", etc.

One of the best BB-related, certainly *commercial* items they did in the late 70s was "Almost Summer", which was relegated to a (relatively) obscure release through a side-band.

I think the tenor of the times by the late 70s and early 80s, especially in light of how the band presented themselves on stage, was such that I don't think even if they had released in 1980 an album culled from the absolute *best* unreleased material from the 70s, it still probably wouldn't have been a massive hit on the album charts.

In any event, there are DOZENS of top-notch post-Holland tracks. DISCS worth of material that bests what they put out, where you wouldn't have to approach it the way one does with something like "KTSA" where it's like picking the celery out of macaroni salad to make a "presentable" album.

There are late 70s and early 80s tracks we don't even *know* about.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »

In any event, there are DOZENS of top-notch post-Holland tracks. DISCS worth of material that bests what they put out, where you wouldn't have to approach it the way one does with something like "KTSA" where it's like picking the celery out of macaroni salad to make a "presentable" album.

Oh man that's a great analogy  LOL LOL
I've also heard someone refer to the diamonds in the rough for this band as being picking out gold nuggets amongst a sea of lard, or something like that. It really baffles, the disparity between the good and bad stuff - even in the context of songs on individual albums.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »

My "alternate" KTSU for what it's worth:

01. Keepin' the Summer Alive
02. Goin' On
03. Heaven
04. Going to the Beach
05. Oh Darlin'
06. Stevie
07. It's A Beautiful Day
08. Don't Fight the Sea
09. Santa Ana Winds
10. When Girls Get Together
11. All Alone
12. Endless Harmony

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2018, 05:45:12 PM »

I'm sure we'll be talking about the greatness of KTSA sessions, if there would indeed be a 1979/1980 set in 2029/2030.

Friends/20-20 set-like treatment would do any album of BB's a lot of favor.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »

No, I love Sunshine!!!!

There are 4 of us now. I'd go as far as to say it's my second favorite song off of the album, after Goin' On.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2018, 10:09:19 PM »

No, I love Sunshine!!!!

There are 4 of us now. I'd go as far as to say it's my second favorite song off of the album, after Goin' On.

Me too...IMO, there is nothing, NOTHING wrong with "Sunshine"!  Love it. Smiley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2018, 02:00:09 AM »

No, I love Sunshine!!!!

Me too...IMO, there is nothing, NOTHING wrong with "Sunshine"!  Love it. Smiley
Speaking of Sunshine, was there ever a more complete version of "Little Girl"(the song that morphed into "Sunshine") recorded, beyond the brief part that circulates?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx