gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:22:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keepin' the "Alternate" Summer Alive  (Read 9548 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2018, 12:11:11 AM »

Dick Rising talked on Discord about what if Bruce decided to include all the outtakes that were considered on KTSA. So I gave it a quick attempt.

Here it is:

https://open.spotify.com/user/little_lamb_dragonfly/playlist/3uLQf9W6ujSTmVjOf0r5aP?si=EYlWFcBqSymYkn4gbcFkww

I've been listening to it right now, and it somehow flows better than I expected.

Also, I first put Some of Your Love after Do You Like Worms, and found it extremely noisy and jarring. I like Some of Your Love on its own, but right after a SMiLE outtake the slightness of the production is very evident.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 06:12:33 AM »

Nice effort, but I don't think anything could've saved KTSA. Really awful album through and through.  Roll Eyes
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 06:15:30 AM »

Watamushi, will you show spotify tracklist? It isn't available where I live. Thanks.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 06:44:25 AM »

Watamushi, will you show spotify tracklist? It isn't available where I live. Thanks.
Here it is:

1. Do You Like Worms? (SMiLE Sessions Ver.)
2. San Miguel
3. Some of Your Love
4. When Girls Get Together
5. Keepin' the Summer Alive
6. Goin' On
7. Santa Ana Winds
8. The Lord's Prayer
9. Been Way Too Long (Sections)
10. Endless Harmony
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 06:47:11 AM »

Nice effort, but I don't think anything could've saved KTSA. Really awful album through and through.  Roll Eyes

Come on, there's some good stuff on there

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »

I think if the production had been better, it'd have been better received. Sonically as well, there were areas of opportunity. Using Endless Harmony as an example, the vocals sound "swimmy" and heavily processed. The  background vocals on School Days are poorly recorded and extremely repetitive.  Just fixing those two examples would be a huge improvement.

Nothing can save Oh Darlin' those, save using Brian's original vocal

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »

If I were doing my own mix, I would totally remove School Days and replace it with either Dah Do Ron Ron, or their version of Shake, Rattle and Roll, to keep with the "oldie" theme. I would add Goin' To The Beach in place of Sunshine, and possibly It's A Beautiful Day in place of When Girls Get Together.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 12:49:10 PM »

No, I love Sunshine!!!!

(Yeah I know that makes me one of like 3 people)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 01:43:42 PM »

If I were doing my own mix, I would totally remove School Days and replace it with either Dah Do Ron Ron, or their version of Shake, Rattle and Roll, to keep with the "oldie" theme. I would add Goin' To The Beach in place of Sunshine, and possibly It's A Beautiful Day in place of When Girls Get Together.
keep the oldies theme ? Doesn’t get much more oldier than School Days written by Check Berry.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 02:18:51 PM »

The  background vocals on School Days are poorly recorded and extremely repetitive.  Just fixing those two examples would be a huge improvement.

Agreed completely. For these reasons, it feels kind of like Barbara Ann '80.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »

The  background vocals on School Days are poorly recorded and extremely repetitive.  Just fixing those two examples would be a huge improvement.

I always thought the proposed 45 mix that was released on the vinyl version of Ten Years Of Harmony sounded better than the version on KTSA.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »

Goin' On is very, very underrated in my opinion.

It feels almost like a bridge between big hits of other famous bands of the time... sort of has one toe in the Queen late '70s vibe, and another toe in the Diamond David Lee Roth modern-yet-throwback style that was to come a few short years later.

Maybe Goin' On has some sorta crappy (for The BBs) harmonies that perhaps held it back from being much of a hit. Mike at his most nasal beginning to sound like a parody of himself, plus the general harmonies are just kinda off on that tune (maybe if it had the harmony vibes, even just Carl/Bruce, of just one year earlier on Good Timin' it would've improved Goin' On lots).

But composing-wise, and ESPECIALLY Carl's absolutely KILLER lead vocal parts, it deserved better and should be better known today. It's pretty much miles ahead of most everything else on the record, save for the end of the song Endless Harmony - which friggin' rules.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:50:35 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »

I always thought the proposed 45 mix that was released on the vinyl version of Ten Years Of Harmony sounded better than the version on KTSA.

I haven't heard it, will have to hunt it down. Thanks!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »

^ Same here

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 03:11:05 PM »

Here it is:

2. San Miguel
3. Some of Your Love
6. Goin' On
7. Santa Ana Winds
8. The Lord's Prayer
10. Endless Harmony
Ta. Disagree with this list & wouldn't agree with any such list when stupid song EH is there (Bruce songs bring typically boredom). The ending track will be cool exuberant positive sunshiney "Sunshine". What's BBs album without positive joyful song? C'mon.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »

Confession: Endless Harmony might be my least favorite song in the entire catalogue that's not named Cuckoo Clock or Long Tall Texans

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »

Confession: Endless Harmony might be my least favorite song in the entire catalogue that's not named Cuckoo Clock or Long Tall Texans

I admit it's hokey as f*ck, and I probably should hate it, but I totally love it a ton! I like the sound/tone of the keyboard Bruce is playing.

Plus since it's the last BBs song with Dennis drums released in his lifetime (was it the last recorded studio drum session he did for the BBs I wonder?) it has that extra "feels" factor for me, where the band suddenly sounds like an actual younger band as they did years earlier, with them all actually playing instruments for a brief moment at the end. It's like the last gasp of an actual band called The BBs, before the 1985 album with its cold, distant "not a real band playing real instruments" vibe (despite that I like a lot of that album anyway).

Also I'm not into its overt patriotism lyrics, but they don't really put me off particularly either considering the context of how the band got co-opted into that whole thing, partly by their own doing (oddly enough recorded/released during Carter - and not Reagan's - administration, since it seems very Reagany to me).

PS - I hate Ten Little Indians way more than Cuckoo Clock! (But CC ain't good either, lol)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:30:15 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »

I can see what you're saying but the vocals sound odd...I don't know what it is exactly, as my hands-on technical expertise generally starts in the late 90s, but it gets on my ever lasting nerves

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 04:36:05 PM »

I think the backing vocals on the KTSA version of Santa Ana Winds are the worst sounding vocals on a Beach Boys album, period.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »

I think the backing vocals on the KTSA version of Santa Ana Winds are the worst sounding vocals on a Beach Boys album, period.

Excepting the autotune disasters of TWGMTR, I know what you mean and largely agree. That song in particular, plus a bunch of MIU Album (like "Wontcha Come Out Tonight"), have a particular sound where everybody singing backing vox sounds like they're frogs. Not a frog in their throat, but actual Beach Boy frog members.

I don't quite understand it; it's not like the Brian/Denny smoking/coke ravaged voices sound that is also odd (which you hear all over Love You)... but these only slightly later songs have BB backing vocals that are different in another (bad) way that I can't wrap my fingers around. I don't understand it. Like they were trying to go for a specific sound or copying some old fashioned 50s doo wop thing but in a failed way? They just sound almost like BB imposters here.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:46:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 05:00:47 PM »

Excepting the autotune disasters of TWGMTR, I know what you mean and largely agree. That song in particular, plus a bunch of MIU Album (like "Wontcha Come Out Tonight"), have a particular sound where everybody singing backing vox sounds like they're frogs. Not a frog in their throat, but actual Beach Boy frog members.

I'll never be able to hear those songs in the same way again LOL  Not that it was a thrilling experience in the first place. Although it is good that they aren't boring; in fact, one could say hearing them is quite "ribbiting"

I'll see myself out

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »

Here it is:

2. San Miguel
3. Some of Your Love
6. Goin' On
7. Santa Ana Winds
8. The Lord's Prayer
10. Endless Harmony
Ta. Disagree with this list & wouldn't agree with any such list when stupid song EH is there (Bruce songs bring typically boredom). The ending track will be cool exuberant positive sunshiney "Sunshine". What's BBs album without positive joyful song? C'mon.
I added Endless Harmony, just because Dick brought it up. I wouldn't include it in my usual alt. album. I think it is decent, but underdeveloped.

Personally I'm not a fan of Sunshine. If I had to include a positive joyful song, I'd go with Goin' To The Beach, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 05:09:19 PM »

I think if the production had been better, it'd have been better received. Sonically as well, there were areas of opportunity. Using Endless Harmony as an example, the vocals sound "swimmy" and heavily processed. The  background vocals on School Days are poorly recorded and extremely repetitive.  Just fixing those two examples would be a huge improvement.

I'm sure letting someone other than Bruce produce the album would have done wonders. I respect Bruce as the guy who (co-)wrote Deirdre and Disney Girls, but by 1979 it seems he had forgotten his chop.

On KTSA, the songs are mostly okay to occasionally great, but the production is utterly mediocre, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 05:11:07 PM by Watamushi » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 05:11:19 PM »

I think if the production had been better, it'd have been better received. Sonically as well, there were areas of opportunity. Using Endless Harmony as an example, the vocals sound "swimmy" and heavily processed. The  background vocals on School Days are poorly recorded and extremely repetitive.  Just fixing those two examples would be a huge improvement.

I'm sure letting someone other than Bruce produce the album would have done wonders. I respect Bruce as the guy who (co-)wrote Deirdre and Disney Girls, but by 1979 it seems he had forgotten his chop.

Definitely agree.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »

I'll never be able to hear those songs in the same way again LOL  Not that it was a thrilling experience in the first place. Although it is good that they aren't boring; in fact, one could say hearing them is quite "ribbiting"

I'll see myself out

LOL LOL LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx