gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:49:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Mt. Vernon & Fairway artwork + have any BBs members done visual art?  (Read 3333 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2018, 03:58:51 PM »

Other than the Mt. Vernon & Fairway artwork, do we have any other examples of Brian (or anyone else in the band) doing visual illustrations?  

There might be some obvious examples that I'm just not thinking of, but I can't seem to recall ever seeing Brian do another drawing/marker illustration of any kind, nor can I recall any other members doing any visual art. Which I guess is a bit surprising that they didn't dabble a bit in that field, considering the immense musical talent they had/have.

Also... where did Brian's Mt. Vernon & Fairway artwork go? Does a collector (or Brian) own it today?

And do we know if it was intended at the time he drew it to be the artwork, or I wonder if it was suggested to him after the fact.
It sure looks like Brian used a kid's set of Crayola markers. Maybe he used Carnie's?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:00:09 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »

Blondie is an artist. He was selling prints of his abstract, brightly-colored portrait of Brian at tours earlier this year. That was the one thing I was really hoping to score at Brian's Atlanta show, but they didn't have any of Blondie's art there.

Also, I own an original sketch by Dennis Wilson. It's a very quick, simplified woman's face.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 03:57:07 AM »

I think Brian did the drawing on the 45 of Love and Mercy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 04:27:57 AM »

Wasn't the original album cover for "Imagination" supposed to be an illustration by Brian?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 06:41:23 AM »

Also, I own an original sketch by Dennis Wilson. It's a very quick, simplified woman's face.

Really??!! Now that's a real treasure, Em. Roll Eyes

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:24:09 PM »

Could you post a photo of this, by any chance?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »

Could you post a photo of this, by any chance?

Also, where was the sketch obtained? That is super cool.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 07:49:55 PM »

Not sure I have a photo of this handy (and the original is tucked away in a portfolio that I can't get to without a lot of work), but it was once used in a DW issue of ESQ.

I was at a BB concert back when I was in art school in 1968. Dennis came out into the audience during one of the opening acts, to play with the soundboard. I had my sketchbook with me, because I had an assignment to do gesture sketches of people -- so why not the BBs, heh? So I went over to Dennis at the soundboard, did a quick sketch of him working the board, and introduced myself. He signed the page with my drawing of him and did one for me in return.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 07:58:47 PM »

Wasn't the original album cover for "Imagination" supposed to be an illustration by Brian?

You mean this from the promo CD?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 08:00:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 09:56:02 AM »

Shocked I can think of very few albums with a greater mismatch between album art and music style, had that been the cover. That's like Brian's version of Munch's The Scream.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 10:26:49 AM »

Shocked I can think of very few albums with a greater mismatch between album art and music style, had that been the cover. That's like Brian's version of Munch's The Scream.

Yep, that promo CD art is not to my liking and most definitely doesn't match the album's vibe, but then again I really, really don't like the final artwork with the heavily Photoshopped Brian profile, either.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx