gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:21:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From Yahoo Entertainment...Mike discusses rift with Brian  (Read 6023 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »

Showed up in my news feed. Mike looking a bit rough these days

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mike-love-beach-boys-talks-180000189.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:40:31 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »

Unfortunately, it's "rift", not "riff".

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
SBonilla
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 12:39:37 PM »

But, you could say that folks have been riffing on that rift for a while now.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »

LOL Oops

SBonilla LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »

Aging
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 03:46:27 PM »

Yahoo: "Where did the rumor come from that you didn't like Pet Sounds?"

Mike: "I think it came from the heavy drugs taken by some members of the band."

LOL I'm not even kidding this is basically word-for-word said in the interview.

I do find it amazing that a major publisher of online news acknowledges that there are different camps in the fanbase (Mike vs Brian fans). I wish someone would write a completely unbiased book that reviews the history of Brian and Mike: where the differences started, the contents of the lawsuits, how Mike didn't get credited for a lot of songs, how Mike got 1/3 credit on an entire song for 4 words...no opinions from the author, just straight up facts so anyone could get a really solid overview of why this feud started and an honest look of why these guys are still separated to this day.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »

I do find it amazing that a major publisher of online news acknowledges that there are different camps in the fanbase (Mike vs Brian fans). I wish someone would write a completely unbiased book that reviews the history of Brian and Mike: where the differences started, the contents of the lawsuits, how Mike didn't get credited for a lot of songs, how Mike got 1/3 credit on an entire song for 4 words...no opinions from the author, just straight up facts so anyone could get a really solid overview of why this feud started and an honest look of why these guys are still separated to this day.

Yeah. A little different, and I haven't read it yet, but I'd love a Beach Boys book like Erin Torkelson Weber's Beatles and the Historians: An Analysis of Writings about the Fab Four.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:01:48 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 04:57:17 PM »

How about a Wes Anderson movie about C50? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 05:25:22 PM »

How about a Wes Anderson movie about C50? Grin

Possible titles:

Darjeeling, Limited By a Set End Date
Rushtour to Get Back to M&B
A Room Alone With Mike and Brian at The Grand Budapest Hotel

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:30:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »

Showed up in my news feed. Mike looking a bit rough these days

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mike-love-beach-boys-talks-180000189.html

Nothing new in the interview, but agreed - I hope Mike's doing ok.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »

What he actually says is "I think there was a them and us thing that arose through drugs" and that a schism arose in the group that wasn't there before...which is absolutely true and I think that is a huge factor in why Mike resisted some of the Smile material, which eventually morphed into "he hated Pet Sounds too" (with the help of unsubstantiated quotes like "Don't **** with the formula").  

I still think it's weird that both he and Al continue to deny ever taking heavy drugs when we have the original session for "Our Prayer" released on TSS.  Cool Guy
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »

What he actually says is "I think there was a them and us thing that arose through drugs" and that a schism arose in the group that wasn't there before...which is absolutely true and I think that is a huge factor in why Mike resisted some of the Smile material, which eventually morphed into "he hated Pet Sounds too" (with the help of unsubstantiated quotes like "Don't **** with the formula").  

I still think it's weird that both he and Al continue to deny ever taking heavy drugs when we have the original session for "Our Prayer" released on TSS.  Cool Guy

Well also, the fact that Mike to this day in recent interviews talks about how he should have added more lyrics to Pet Sounds (or maybe he said he wishes he'd have written all of them, I don't recall exactly), thus implying that his magic touch was missing and needed on that album... added to the other incident that Brian was nudged/coerced (?) to promise Mike "next time" for Mike getting to be the primary lyricist again (a promise that was thankfully broken on SMiLE)... even if some want to assume that Brian happily made that promise without prodding, that's still evidence of Brian trying to appease Mike... it's hard for Mike to make an argument that these things aren't pretty prime evidence of Mike being somewhat unhappy (even just passive aggressively) with a non-Mike direction, if only based out of ego and fear of no longer being as useful as Mike wished he'd be.

A bandmate who is happy with a direction of an album and genuinely loves/supports that album wouldn't continually be getting their bandmate to promise that they'll write in a manner different from said album next time around (twice in a row). Nor would they accept it (assuming the ridiculous argument some might make that Brian happily and without prodding made such a promise). It doesn't make much sense. Mike wants it both ways.  

In fact I'd say all of these are pretty obvious evidence of the general sentiment of the rumor being at least partially true, even if only from a passive aggressive standpoint.  "I love and fully support this great work of art you made, that's why next time I want you to write in a way that differs greatly from it, in a manner that suits me, my artistic sense, and my pocketbook".  Something doesn't add up with the (at least partially) revisionist history.

It's not that I don't get that Mike probably felt jealous and felt left out; he's only human. It's an understandable emotion that I assume he felt. Doesn't make him a jerk to feel jealous.  He just needs to own it, and then realize why these rumors grew out of some logical conclusions and extrapolations.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:57:18 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »

He says, "I didn't get into all the heavy drugs and stuff like that, and some others did." I guess I'm failing to see the connection between Pet Sounds and Brian's cocaine addiction...As marijuana and LSD are considered soft drugs, and marijuana was the primary drug of choice during the making of Pet Sounds.

My point in highlighting him bringing up heavy drugs is that Mike continuously has to bring up the heavy drug use of the Wilson brothers in interviews when it literally has nothing to do with the question he is being asked.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 06:26:38 PM »

My point in highlighting him bringing up heavy drugs is that Mike continuously has to bring up the heavy drug use of the Wilson brothers in interviews when it literally has nothing to do with the question he is being asked.

This is why the good will I try to muster up toward Mike sputters out so fast. It's obvious he still blames drugs on everything going wrong, and he extends that even to Brian using drugs now that he specifically needs to deal with mental illness. He's conflated those two in the past and said that's the reason he and Brian don't get along, when it should be obvious that they just have conflicting personalities that would more than explain the feud without dragging their drug use (recreational AND medical!) into it.

I still think it's weird that both he and Al continue to deny ever taking heavy drugs when we have the original session for "Our Prayer" released on TSS.  Cool Guy

Are those recordings the main evidence for the whole band taking acid? Because when I listen to it, it sounds like Brian joking about his music making you feel like you're on a trip, which he was definitely intentionally trying to do for some songs... I could see it either way.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 06:27:16 PM »

He says, "I didn't get into all the heavy drugs and stuff like that, and some others did." I guess I'm failing to see the connection between Pet Sounds and Brian's cocaine addiction...As marijuana and LSD are considered soft drugs, and marijuana was the primary drug of choice during the making of Pet Sounds.

Gotta stick to the narrative for all the uneducated "fans" watching this kind of thing who don't know the history. Show me one reporter or interviewer who would push back and challenge Mike on the usual talking points, just one.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 06:29:38 PM »

Howard Stern should get all of the surviving members together and have them argue it out.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »

Howard Stern should get all of the surviving members together and have them argue it out.

Would we see a repeat of the striped shirt debacle if they did? Or if they did a group Stern interview, Brian and Al should come in sporting those vintage "I'm A Fuckin' Genius" yellow T's... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 07:01:33 PM »

This is why the good will I try to muster up toward Mike sputters out so fast. It's obvious he still blames drugs on everything going wrong, and he extends that even to Brian using drugs now that he specifically needs to deal with mental illness. He's conflated those two in the past and said that's the reason he and Brian don't get along, when it should be obvious that they just have conflicting personalities that would more than explain the feud without dragging their drug use (recreational AND medical!) into it.

Yeah, and I think any fan will acknowledge that drugs were a problem for the band...but it's not the ONLY answer to why there were issues. There was jealousy, betrayal, tears shed, hostility, creative differences, personality differences, anxiety problems, ego problems...some of this stemmed from drugs but some of it stemmed from many, many other places. Drugs just seem to be any easy way for Mike to say in not so many words "none of this was my fault, it was the drugs taken by other people and the people who took those drugs."

And you're so right: it's really sad that Mike's petulance about the drug issue extends to Brian's current prescription drug regimen. Brian is 76 years old, after a lifetime of schizophrenic episodes, depression, life threatening drug abuse, major obesity, anxiety, you name it, Brian is still able to chug along with touring, recording, helping write a book and helping with an upcoming documentary...and considering his history that is friggin amazing that he almost in his 80s and still able to do this. But if you ask Mike about Brian's current condition you'd think Brian was being propped up like Bernie Lomax in Weekend at Bernies ("Brian is controlled and still medicated, it's not the street drugs anymore but prescription drugs"). It's just pretty sad when you think about it.

thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 07:25:39 PM »

Yeah, and I think any fan will acknowledge that drugs were a problem for the band...but it's not the ONLY answer to why there were issues. There was jealousy, betrayal, tears shed, hostility, creative differences, personality differences, anxiety problems, ego problems...some of this stemmed from drugs but some of it stemmed from many, many other places. Drugs just seem to be any easy way for Mike to say in not so many words "none of this was my fault, it was the drugs taken by other people and the people who took those drugs."

And you're so right: it's really sad that Mike's petulance about the drug issue extends to Brian's current prescription drug regimen. Brian is 76 years old, after a lifetime of schizophrenic episodes, depression, life threatening drug abuse, major obesity, anxiety, you name it, Brian is still able to chug along with touring, recording, helping write a book and helping with an upcoming documentary...and considering his history that is friggin amazing that he almost in his 80s and still able to do this. But if you ask Mike about Brian's current condition you'd think Brian was being propped up like Bernie Lomax in Weekend at Bernies ("Brian is controlled and still medicated, it's not the street drugs anymore but prescription drugs"). It's just pretty sad when you think about it.

Gonna frame this post. It says everything I wanted to. Brian is in agreement with Mike that he shouldn't have taken drugs when he was young, but Mike wants to continue using it as the defining difference between them -- which leads him to say completely whack stuff about mental illness that's frankly hurtful to a lot more people than just Brian. I just think Mike has had plenty of time and opportunity to learn more about it if he truly wanted to.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »

That happened today in the Whitehouse.....oh wait.....That was Trump, Pelosi and Schumer.  LOL
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 08:19:43 PM »

It's just so great to watch that old, silly clown make a complete fool of himself in interviews. He knows he hated Pet Sounds because HE wasn't called to write lyrics. He's lucky he was allowed to even sing on PS and no one could have written more cohesive lyrics than Tony Asher. It's ironic but Mike uses the drug issues to exonerate his tacky behavior and digs himself into far deeper territory with every revisionist sentence. I can envision an angry, jealous, ego infested ML stomping his feet on the floor screaming at Brian to include HIM and being a royal pain in the ass when Brian didn't. Sorry, this wart gets no mercy from me whatsoever. By the way, he looks like he's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 08:49:39 PM »

That happened today in the Whitehouse.....oh wait.....That was Trump, Pelosi and Schumer.  LOL

LOL

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 01:33:16 AM »

Well, Mike said a couple of times in recent interviews that he did his share of drugs before he met Maharishi, then he stopped. I believe he also said, that Al was the only Beach Boy who never did drugs. Don't know about Bruce though, as his not being at the '67 Hawaii shows sometimes gets connected to him not being happy about the drug situation.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 02:34:38 AM »

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »

Well, Mike said a couple of times in recent interviews that he did his share of drugs before he met Maharishi, then he stopped. I believe he also said, that Al was the only Beach Boy who never did drugs. Don't know about Bruce though, as his not being at the '67 Hawaii shows sometimes gets connected to him not being happy about the drug situation.

I think he has said he smoked a fair amount of weed and drank whiskey until around 1967.....Although he drinks now, he posts about wine tasting and stuff. I assume he just means "to excess" and not really 100% abstaining these days...i remember someone on here i think saying they saw him at a hotel bar in 1981 and he was drinking a beer...I wonder if his whole "i dont drink" thing is sort of bullshit and more just a thing to say to seem better/above the "smoking" beach boys
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:28:06 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx