gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:49:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile Message Board Milestone - And General Words Of Thanks  (Read 57793 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »

As far as the new sets of music, yeah they're great, terrific listening - Kudos especially to Mark and Alan. But I'm proud to say I didn't pay a dime for them and got them for free online. My principle is, if certain names are attached and others left off of any project related to the Beach Boys, I don't give them a dime or a penny of my money. Best money I never spent.

Nah, was referring to the physical WH disc released last year. Out of curiousity, what was left off this year's release?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »

Ah I remember being a new fan as well. Twenty three years goes by quickly apparently!

What are your favorites?

And to re-direct the topic back to Billy's question upthread to me (sorry--I would have responded sooner but was out all day). My favorites shift around regularly, but "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Please Let Me Wonder," "God Only Knows," "Love and Mercy," Pet Sounds, SMiLE, and most through the late 1970s, and some pre-Pet Sounds songs. Also love the quirky Zappa-like songs of Brian Wilson (a long-time Zappa fan). Back to the BBs, I love what most of you on the board love, but became a fan on the spot after going to a Brian Wilson concert with someone else and was blown away--then started listening and reading. I am amazed at the knowledge here on the board.

Wild Honey through Holland are my favorite recordings by anybody....not just the Beach Boys, I mean literally everybody.

Here's a confession that I never thought I would make...as great as Pet Sounds and SMiLE are, I think Wild Honey and Friends are even better.

Billy, I hope I'm not throwing this thread off, but I just saw your post. When I met Brian in '69, he asked me, "what's your favorite album, I mean besides 'Pet Sound'." That final part was sweet and a little sad at the same time. When I replied "Friends," I think his response was the most excited I'd ever seen him, "Yes, me too, yes!" "Wild Honey" and "Friends" were both so brilliant as Brian went full-on into other genres and immediately mastered them. The brilliance is astoundng.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »

Guitarfool, to be fair, like you say, their readership and average poster figures are pretty low, and they'll stay low given the type of posting that goes on there (and the type of moderation we're seeing). So if 20 people are sitting in an echo-chamber/daycare-center disguised as a Beach Boys forum, I do think at this point: more power to em.
This board will continue to thrive, and places that allow shady moderation and a user base of liars, harassers, and gossipers will inevitably crumble apart under the weight of their own depravity and stupidity.

I will grant you that the certain name on these latest releases is really sad. I love the music and am ecstatic to hear these tracks, but when I see the name of someone who spread tabloid style garbage in the fan community on these releases, it makes the releases seem a bit dirty, for lack of a better way to word it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2018, 12:23:43 PM »

Ah I remember being a new fan as well. Twenty three years goes by quickly apparently!

What are your favorites?

And to re-direct the topic back to Billy's question upthread to me (sorry--I would have responded sooner but was out all day). My favorites shift around regularly, but "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Please Let Me Wonder," "God Only Knows," "Love and Mercy," Pet Sounds, SMiLE, and most through the late 1970s, and some pre-Pet Sounds songs. Also love the quirky Zappa-like songs of Brian Wilson (a long-time Zappa fan). Back to the BBs, I love what most of you on the board love, but became a fan on the spot after going to a Brian Wilson concert with someone else and was blown away--then started listening and reading. I am amazed at the knowledge here on the board.

Wild Honey through Holland are my favorite recordings by anybody....not just the Beach Boys, I mean literally everybody.

Here's a confession that I never thought I would make...as great as Pet Sounds and SMiLE are, I think Wild Honey and Friends are even better.

Billy, I hope I'm not throwing this thread off, but I just saw your post. When I met Brian in '69, he asked me, "what's your favorite album, I mean besides 'Pet Sound'." That final part was sweet and a little sad at the same time. When I replied "Friends," I think his response was the most excited I'd ever seen him, "Yes, me too, yes!" "Wild Honey" and "Friends" were both so brilliant as Brian went full-on into other genres and immediately mastered them. The brilliance is astoundng.

This story makes me so happy! Friends is my second favorite, and I consider it to be a part of Brian's select albums that deal with his life story: Pet Sounds, Friends, Love You, and No Pier Pressure. Each of those albums has some type of charm and eloquence that is pure Brian Wilson.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »

What are your favorites?

This story makes me so happy! Friends is my second favorite, and I consider it to be a part of Brian's select albums that deal with his life story: Pet Sounds, Friends, Love You, and No Pier Pressure. Each of those albums has some type of charm and eloquence that is pure Brian Wilson.

Rab - you nailed it. I hadn't through about it, but those albums really work.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »

What are your favorites?

What was eye opening to me (or rather, ear opening....) was hearing all of these little details that were buried previously.  These "lo-fi" albums were just as "heavily produced' as previous recordings, just in different genres!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2018, 12:42:51 PM »

I will grant you that the certain name on these latest releases is really sad. I love the music and am ecstatic to hear these tracks, but when I see the name of someone who spread tabloid style garbage in the fan community on these releases, it makes the releases seem a bit dirty, for lack of a better way to word it.

Ohhhhh.....never even noticed

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2018, 12:43:58 PM »

Yeah, but nothing's been done. Just like in the past. Thanks to spineless or incompetent moderators on PS Forum who openly lied and distorted to suit the needs of that place, this board is dragged through the mud, lies are allowed to stand, and it's swept under the carpet? No apologies, no comments about fixing things moving forward, taking future action to avoid this bullshit again...nothing.

Doesn't fly where I'm concerned. Sorry. If people are still posting lies and they're being believed, we just drop it and sing Kum-Bye-A together like nothing happened? Keep turning the other cheek and get cold-cocked until we have a jaw broken in multiple places? Nope. Not happenin'.

As far as the new sets of music, yeah they're great, terrific listening - Kudos especially to Mark and Alan. But I'm proud to say I didn't pay a dime for them and got them for free online. My principle is, if certain names are attached and others left off of any project related to the Beach Boys, I don't give them a dime or a penny of my money. Best money I never spent.

GF - I haven't commented much about this part of the thread, since I've never visited PS forum, nor will I. I don't have the stomach to deal with any of those people anymore.  What I can say is I truly appreciate your insistence on correcting lies wherever you see them. That's really admirable. Selfishly, some of the lies were probably more than once, about me, so that's appreciated too. So, thanks again.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2018, 12:50:28 PM »

What are your favorites?

What was eye opening to me (or rather, ear opening....) was hearing all of these little details that were buried previously.  These "lo-fi" albums were just as "heavily produced' as previous recordings, just in different genres!

That's what really blew my mind about Wild Honey - that album sounded so muddy to me for many years but when that stereo version came out it was like going from a 5" black and white tv to a 100" vivid color HDTV. Brian is firing on so many creative cylinders at this point, and sometimes it was buried in a mono mix or some mix that didn't show all the working parts to the song.

I really wish that Friends would get a sonic remix like the Sgt. Pepper remix we got earlier this year.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »

Yeah, but nothing's been done. Just like in the past. Thanks to spineless or incompetent moderators on PS Forum who openly lied and distorted to suit the needs of that place, this board is dragged through the mud, lies are allowed to stand, and it's swept under the carpet? No apologies, no comments about fixing things moving forward, taking future action to avoid this bullshit again...nothing.

Doesn't fly where I'm concerned. Sorry. If people are still posting lies and they're being believed, we just drop it and sing Kum-Bye-A together like nothing happened? Keep turning the other cheek and get cold-cocked until we have a jaw broken in multiple places? Nope. Not happenin'.

GF - I haven't commented much about this part of the thread, since I've never visited PS forum, nor will I. I don't have the stomach to deal with any of those people anymore.  What I can say is I truly appreciate your insistence on correcting lies wherever you see them. That's really admirable. Selfishly, some of the lies were probably more than once, about me, so that's appreciated too. So, thanks again.

I second this. While I don't think this topic should be dwelled upon constantly (edit: not saying that anyone is dwelling on it constantly, didn't mean to imply this), I also think that the events of the past should not be forgotten. Craig went to the PS Forum and acted like the civil adult he is and he ended up getting banned for no logical reason whatsoever. He comes out the bigger person in all of this. He has put up with a lot of nonsense for years and yet he is still here helping run a very successful forum about our favorite band. It really is commendable. And to the children lurking from the PS Forum: this isn't ass-kissing, just sharing some courtesy to a guy who has put up with too much of your bullshit for the past few years.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:05:38 PM by rab2591 » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2018, 01:08:07 PM »

^

I feel you. I for a brief moment used to browse PSF and it's not the majority of the members there but a small handful of people who are the issue (and we've discussed them ad nauseum)...but those handful really irk me.  Hypocrisy and lies do not sit well with me.

wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2018, 01:24:25 PM »

Would like to take this opportunity to shill the Beach Boys Discord server, where approximately none of this inter-board drama has happened and it continues to not happen. And Alan and Mark are joining us in the near future for a Q&A. Lovely stuff.

Coincidentally the server owner is our local Dick Rising, who - as I'm sure everyone there can vouch for - does a perfectly fine job. Word.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2018, 06:17:36 PM »

It’s a crazy world we live in today.  Let’s hope love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control prevail in these crazy times. Happy holidays to everyone.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »

It’s a crazy world we live in today.  Let’s hope love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control prevail in these crazy times. Happy holidays to everyone.

^ Seconded!

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »

^ Seconded!

Agreed!
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »

Appalling.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2018, 08:21:21 PM »

Appalling.

When the tracks are on the Beach Boys official YouTube channel, how is it appalling to listen there?

What's appalling is to see a person who exhibited bad behavior, in some cases the words and comments bordering on slanderous and extending from trashing other fans to gossiping about and slandering band members and families, getting acknowledged. If someone insults, lies about, or in any other way wrongs people I consider friends, they're off the radar. And I don't support their future endeavors where their name is attached.

Sorry if that's offensive, but maybe a lot of people still don't know what went on and how dirty it got. Maybe I'm old fashioned but words matter and actions have consequences. In this case, that credit put a stain on an otherwise terrific project.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2018, 08:34:15 PM »

Would like to take this opportunity to shill the Beach Boys Discord server, where approximately none of this inter-board drama has happened and it continues to not happen. And Alan and Mark are joining us in the near future for a Q&A. Lovely stuff.

Coincidentally the server owner is our local Dick Rising, who - as I'm sure everyone there can vouch for - does a perfectly fine job. Word.

After what happened with Dick's bungling the moderating on the PS Forum and helping expose what's going on over there with favored posters who are above the rules and lies allowed to stand unchecked, no thanks. In fact I thought you were joking when I read this after what happened in the past 48 hours.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »

Maybe Mr. Boyd paid attention to the way you phrased it "got them for free", as in downloaded in illegal file-sharing site.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »

I second this. While I don't think this topic should be dwelled upon constantly (edit: not saying that anyone is dwelling on it constantly, didn't mean to imply this), I also think that the events of the past should not be forgotten. Craig went to the PS Forum and acted like the civil adult he is and he ended up getting banned for no logical reason whatsoever. He comes out the bigger person in all of this. He has put up with a lot of nonsense for years and yet he is still here helping run a very successful forum about our favorite band. It really is commendable. And to the children lurking from the PS Forum: this isn't ass-kissing, just sharing some courtesy to a guy who has put up with too much of your bullshit for the past few years.
You're absolutely right rab, if by acting "like the civil adult he is and he ended up getting banned for no logical reason whatsoever," you meant going over there for seemingly the sole purpose of stirring the pot and only using his account to constantly argue with people he knows do not like him, and by "comes out the bigger person in all of this," you meant deciding to attack two posters by name on another board and creating an environment where they are seemingly not welcomed (which, by my understanding, is against the rules). If that's what you meant by those two statements, then you're 100% right!
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2018, 08:40:07 PM »

After what happened with Dick's bungling the moderating on the PS Forum and helping expose what's going on over there with favored posters who are above the rules and lies allowed to stand unchecked, no thanks. In fact I thought you were joking when I read this after what happened in the past 48 hours.

That's cool, the invite isn't extended to everyone.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »

Maybe Mr. Boyd paid attention to the way you phrased it "got them for free", as in downloaded in illegal file-sharing site.

Well if that's the case, that's not accurate. I don't do that. I wouldn't do that, and I do not use illegal file sharing sites at all. In this case the albums were on the ***official*** Beach Boys YouTube channel. Available to listen - for free. And I listened. If that's appalling, then take it up with the people running the YouTube channel. If it's a misunderstanding to where the thought was I was using illegal file shares, I was not.

What I stand behind is what I said about acknowledging bad behavior. That, to me, is appalling. But that's my hang-up and mine alone.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2018, 08:49:04 PM »

Good, then stop shilling for it here in a topic where it has nothing to do with anything. Dick screwed up - If the dishonesty and favoritism shown by his moderating on the PS Forum extends over to "Discord", you'll be averaging 20 readers just like the forum he moderates.

Oh, and this is off-topic, so maybe take any further shilling or whatever you're doing to the "Discord" thread where it's on-topic. Here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25934.0.html

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 08:49:57 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2018, 08:56:13 PM »

Appalling.
Completely agree 100%, and I don't care who I piss off by saying that. I'm all for getting rid of bullies and liars, but not paying or supporting something just because a certain person is involved is downright insulting. Having a board member say it is one thing, but that it's a moderator, somebody who represents an online community....there are no words for it. Craig has let his hatred for Doe and PSF get in the way of basic logic, and common decency. I will walk away from this site for good over this if I have to.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »

Good, then stop shilling for it here in a topic where it has nothing to do with anything. Dick screwed up - If the dishonesty and favoritism shown by his moderating on the PS Forum extends over to "Discord", you'll be averaging 20 readers just like the forum he moderates.

Oh, and this is off-topic, so maybe take any further shilling or whatever you're doing to the "Discord" thread where it's on-topic. Here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25934.0.html

We usually have more activity than both forums together actually, but no problem. Sorry for bringing it up in the wrong topic.

Discord is a funny word but it is a site that exists and isn't made up, so the quotation marks are a lil unnecessary.

Edit: Just to add to this, I think it's perfectly on-topic to bring up in the context of someone I consider a friend being unjustly badmouthed (and compared to Rocky Pamplin?? oh, you) again and again over several pages of a thread. I would've thought the tiny incredibly subtle connection between exactly what's happening here now and the reason for what happened in the first place would've maybe been self explanatory but...no, I'll stop myself there.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:26:34 PM by wjcrerar » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx