gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:40:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile Message Board Milestone - And General Words Of Thanks  (Read 57791 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2018, 09:52:07 AM »

Ah I remember being a new fan as well. Twenty three years goes by quickly apparently!

What are your favorites?

And to re-direct the topic back to Billy's question upthread to me (sorry--I would have responded sooner but was out all day). My favorites shift around regularly, but "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Please Let Me Wonder," "God Only Knows," "Love and Mercy," Pet Sounds, SMiLE, and most through the late 1970s, and some pre-Pet Sounds songs. Also love the quirky Zappa-like songs of Brian Wilson (a long-time Zappa fan). Back to the BBs, I love what most of you on the board love, but became a fan on the spot after going to a Brian Wilson concert with someone else and was blown away--then started listening and reading. I am amazed at the knowledge here on the board.

Wild Honey through Holland are my favorite recordings by anybody....not just the Beach Boys, I mean literally everybody.

Here's a confession that I never thought I would make...as great as Pet Sounds and SMiLE are, I think Wild Honey and Friends are even better.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »

Looks like Filledeplage got suspended too, by one of the two mods. Hmmm. Too little too late? The backpedaling after the fact is a little frustrating, considering all of this was allowed to stand while others got scapegoated for doing far less or for doing nothing at all. The best way to stop that kind of thing (like Filledeplage) from infecting a board is to simply enforce the rules and step in when they're broken as openly as they were in this and similar situations, by the same person with a history of doing the exact same thing. Just sayin'.

So even though Watamushi falsely said I was there "solely to squabble about off-topic issues", the person who actually started the off-topic old-grudge bullshit who had done so repeatedly in the past and allowed to do so unchecked is now suspended too, retroactive or after-the-fact or something...

Perhaps when I replied to her bullshit and distortions in the middle of on-topic discussions, then went back to the on-topic discussions, I actually wasn't the one to blame for taking it off-topic?

Nice job guys, or guy in this case since it seems Watamushi was alone in putting the ban on Filledeplage and perhaps Dick found the whole thing too "draining" and didn't agree with banning a favored member.

A little honesty would have been nice, guys. As such, the credibility level is still somewhere around Rocky and Stan levels...Hope it's worth it to keep that shield around those favored members and/or benefactors and keep the 20 or so average readers content.
I'm pretty sure filldepage was suspended yesterday along with mikesbeard and SJS.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MsBecca
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2018, 09:58:09 AM »

I believe  you all, let me restate, after yesterday I BELIEVE YOU ALL, Ik denk dat u alle,  

H'mm. Google Translate, methinks. LOL

How about: Ik geloof jullie allemaal. Grin

That said, CB, I appreciate your input in this topic (using the word in its broadest sense) here and across the road. Smiley

Thank you JK and I actually used the Babelfish it was me making a funny saying the same thing in different ways so like everyone can understand what I meant but I could have done like a better job
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »

Looks like Filledeplage got suspended too, by one of the two mods. Hmmm. Too little too late? The backpedaling after the fact is a little frustrating, considering all of this was allowed to stand while others got scapegoated for doing far less or for doing nothing at all. The best way to stop that kind of thing (like Filledeplage) from infecting a board is to simply enforce the rules and step in when they're broken as openly as they were in this and similar situations, by the same person with a history of doing the exact same thing. Just sayin'.

So even though Watamushi falsely said I was there "solely to squabble about off-topic issues", the person who actually started the off-topic old-grudge bullshit who had done so repeatedly in the past and allowed to do so unchecked is now suspended too, retroactive or after-the-fact or something...

Perhaps when I replied to her bullshit and distortions in the middle of on-topic discussions, then went back to the on-topic discussions, I actually wasn't the one to blame for taking it off-topic?

Nice job guys, or guy in this case since it seems Watamushi was alone in putting the ban on Filledeplage and perhaps Dick found the whole thing too "draining" and didn't agree with banning a favored member.

A little honesty would have been nice, guys. As such, the credibility level is still somewhere around Rocky and Stan levels...Hope it's worth it to keep that shield around those favored members and/or benefactors and keep the 20 or so average readers content.
I'm pretty sure filldepage was suspended yesterday along with mikesbeard and SJS.

No, it came later, after the fact, and Watamushi even posted that he should have done it at the same time as the other bans but did not. And Watamushi specifically said it was done on his own accord, suggesting Dick either didn't agree with banning Filledeplage, or maybe he didn't want to step on the toes of the favored few over there who are perhaps above the board rules.

So that's a glimpse into the moderation over there under the two new mods. It's posted openly for all to see.

And what the mods posted earlier still stands as a bullshit excuse that doesn't match what actually happened at all. If it did, if their reasoning was solid, Filledeplage would not have been banned.

Clusterfuck of the highest order.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MsBecca
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2018, 10:00:47 AM »

Oh my gee I forgot like the most important part of this discussion! Thank you all for having me here and not looking at my sideeyed because I post elsewhere as well
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2018, 11:29:55 AM »

No, it came later, after the fact, and Watamushi even posted that he should have done it at the same time as the other bans but did not. And Watamushi specifically said it was done on his own accord, suggesting Dick either didn't agree with banning Filledeplage, or maybe he didn't want to step on the toes of the favored few over there who are perhaps above the board rules.

So that's a glimpse into the moderation over there under the two new mods. It's posted openly for all to see.

And what the mods posted earlier still stands as a bullshit excuse that doesn't match what actually happened at all. If it did, if their reasoning was solid, Filledeplage would not have been banned.

You're right, I went back and checked. Let me say here and now that I absolutely agree with you, and am on your side on this particular issue. Filldepage was allowed to not only bring up "old grudges", but was allowed to lie about us publicly. It was Filledpage that constantly brought up "old grudges" in an attempt to bait you, but you were the one banned for supposedly doing the same thing?

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2018, 11:51:46 AM »

OK I almost never comment on the inter-relations between boards and as most of you know, I do not go out of my way to curry favour with anyone. Even Guitarfool and I have been on very opposite sides before on an several issues on this board.

But, my God, given the sheer amount of jibes about his "lengthy posts," alone, he should have been rewarded for his patience if anything, and that's not even taking into account the amount of times he had to defend himself on a topic that had nothing to do with the thread.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:52:24 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2018, 02:27:12 PM »

While we are making confessions  LOL

I genuinely believe AGD should be allowed back, he's far too valuable

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »

You guys never saw the worst of what he did , and considering that included threatening Phil Cohen and his family, that speaks volumes.  And yes I have proof

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2018, 02:49:08 PM »

While we are making confessions  LOL

This question is not in the realm of inter-board squabbles, but is rather engaging on a topic about a Beach Boys historian. In what way do you consider him to be valuable? From someone who does academic research for a living, I genuinely don't understand why he would be considered a good historian and I felt that way even before he was discovered to be throwing around groundless claims.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:50:39 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2018, 02:57:16 PM »

Valuable to whom? It is a documented fact that he abused his status as a "historian" to spread lies and nonsense about Brian and Melinda Wilson and about people who still post here on this forum (I mean, the claim that Melinda Wilson was posting as Smile Brian is utterly hilarious for it's absurdity. I think SB and I are ranked near the top of how much time we spend on this forum - it's laughable to think that anyone would believe that Melinda Wilson would spend the last 10 years posting thousands of posts here). He tried to paint me as a liar regarding the issue and soon after the record showed that I was the one telling the truth. One major thing I am thankful for about this forum is that the moderators who work hard to run it realize that AGD should never be allowed back under any circumstance. Something I proposed (which actually got shot down here, and funny enough was adopted on the PS Forum) was the forum keeping a public record of all the bans that had taken place here - the people who were banned and why they were banned.

Every now and then someone will come along and request that certain members be let back, where if there was a place easily accessible to see all the horrible crap those banned members did to get banned perhaps people wouldn't be so quick to ask for these banned members to come back. Such a record could possibly have given the current and past moderators of the PS Forum a bit more knowledge about some of the posters on their own forum...and perhaps they would have made some better decisions regarding who they allow to post there...but given the latest move to ban Guitarfool over him replying to some off-topic comments I doubt that any amount of information could help the mods there make good decisions.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »

Wrong rab, I am Al Jardine....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:19:12 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »

Let me thrown in quickly my response was not a slam against you Shady just there’s way more to the story than many know and Doe’s got a better chance of winning the Kentucky Derby than ever showing back up here, and you can bet on that.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »

2 SB: Trashing Al ain't good thing to do.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2018, 04:18:12 PM »

Agreed, it was an ugly time...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »

Let me thrown in quickly my response was not a slam against you Shady just there’s way more to the story than many know and Doe’s got a better chance of winning the Kentucky Derby than ever showing back up here, and you can bet on that.

Completely understand

Honestly I thought AGD was banned for a couple of unfortunate posts that I read, all this other stuff I was unaware of.

I have such respect for all of the BB's historians that have come and gone on this site, the work they do to me is personally invaluable and I have learned a lot from AGD and others but all of this sounds unfortunate and have no doubt the right course of action was taken

Rab, shake man.. thanks for the insight
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:07:56 PM by Shady » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »

Completely understand

Honestly I thought AGD was banned for a couple of unfortunate posts that I read, all this other stuff I was unaware of.

I have such respect for all of the BB's historians that have come and gone on this site, the work they do to me is personally invaluable and I have learned a lot from AGD and others but all of this sounds unfortunate and have no doubt the right course of action was taken

Hey, sorry that I responded so harshly. Remembering those days gets my blood pressure up haha. I’m really glad you’ve been such an active member of this forum, and it’s great to see your positivity throughout many of the threads! No hard feelings meant from me Hug

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2018, 06:44:33 PM »

Completely understand

Hey, sorry that I responded so harshly. Remembering those days gets my blood pressure up haha. I’m really glad you’ve been such an active member of this forum, and it’s great to see your positivity throughout many of the threads! No hard feelings meant from me Hug

Thanks so much though I didn't sense any harshness   Grin

And back at ya, happy to see everyone's still active and posting  Smiley

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »

And with that , I’m currently listening to my daughter sing along with Passing By right now, a reminder of this wonderful music that has brought us all here

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2018, 06:50:50 PM »

Billy that’s awesome! My fiancé and I just finished listening to the Friends album on vinyl and she loved it. This music brings us all together in the end.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »

The copy of Sunshine Tomorrow we have is actually hers although she “lets me borrow it Roll Eyes  “

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2018, 06:16:03 AM »

After catching up on reading this since yesterday, several good points were posted about current and past issues as well as some good suggestions.

Ultimately what happened on the Pet Sounds Forum is the two new mods bungled a situation that even outside observers are seeing by simply reading how it actually played out. Dick/Kane and Watamushi were either afraid of upsetting certain favored posters there, or they had marching orders to follow from other sources, or they're simply not good at moderating a board that averages between 20-30 readers and hasn't grown beyond that in over two years. That may say it all.

If they're going to run that place based on lies and allowing lies to stand (and liars to do whatever the f*** they want...), they'll have no credibility. They're on the level of Stan and Rocky, or even more pathetic, on the level of original admin Dirk/drBeachBoy who ran the board from Doe's back pocket until he flipped out on the mods he chose as the original admin and got banned from his own board for not following the rules.

For anyone thinking "let it go, move on, etc" I'd like to do that. But not when lies were told about me personally, and about this board, and other issues surrounding all of this, and the two moderators made decisions and judgement calls based on lies (and perhaps listening to liars or being afraid of them?) . That is not right, and if it's not corrected at least those being lied about have a voice to correct and inform.

So there is that.

Rab - The idea of posting the reasons for bans is perhaps a good one. However, what prevents us from doing that is in some specific cases the privacy element and the ability for anonymity when reporting more sensitive or personal issues. The ability for people to report anonymously what they felt was bullying, harassment, and similar issues was something we began to take more seriously as more issues like that came to light. To publish details would possibly expose those reporting these things, and that was not advisable. So some of these bans have to remain anonymous.

Which, unfortunately also allows people with barely a thread of moral fiber and the penchant for lies and bullshit to spin their bans into whatever they want, including how a rogue moderator here was banning people he didn't like at the flick of a switch. Which, as proven yet again by Dick and Watamushi buying into these liars and joining the club, is simply not the case despite what people on the Pet Sounds Forum might say.

We have the facts and the history archived and available if anyone disputes these bans, and reasons, and anything else.

And yes, that was the case with a few of the "bigger names" now welcomed and active on the Pet Sounds Forum who continue to lie and distort the reasons why they were banned from this forum.

If the current mods and readership there want to believe them, go ahead - But you're believing lies and liars, if you're ok with that. And again, for the mods, if you buy into this bullshit, you're as credible as Rocky.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:16:34 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2018, 11:36:20 AM »

Guitarfool, you mentioned that drawback about my idea when I first brought it up and I completely forgot about it...thanks for the reminder. It's a shame that such a thing even has to be debated.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »

The good news is, the truth is out now...there shouldn't be any question of what went down and why. If it comes back up again, we have that. Otherwise, IMHO I do think at this point, the point is made and so clear that Stevie Wonder could see it.

So with that in mind...I'm going to turn on Sunshine Tomorrow at my desk at a low volume and annoy my co-workers Smiley

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »

Yeah, but nothing's been done. Just like in the past. Thanks to spineless or incompetent moderators on PS Forum who openly lied and distorted to suit the needs of that place, this board is dragged through the mud, lies are allowed to stand, and it's swept under the carpet? No apologies, no comments about fixing things moving forward, taking future action to avoid this bullshit again...nothing.

Doesn't fly where I'm concerned. Sorry. If people are still posting lies and they're being believed, we just drop it and sing Kum-Bye-A together like nothing happened? Keep turning the other cheek and get cold-cocked until we have a jaw broken in multiple places? Nope. Not happenin'.

As far as the new sets of music, yeah they're great, terrific listening - Kudos especially to Mark and Alan. But I'm proud to say I didn't pay a dime for them and got them for free online. My principle is, if certain names are attached and others left off of any project related to the Beach Boys, I don't give them a dime or a penny of my money. Best money I never spent.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx