gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:18:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Been Way Too Long  (Read 4736 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2018, 04:00:53 PM »

If we were ever to get a best attempt at a "finished" Can't Wait Too Long/Been Way Too Long, today's release would have been the time.  So it doesn't look like that will happen -- but a lot of pieces are there.

What thoughts do people have as to what goes where?  Anyone thinking of improving on previous efforts to create a fan finished version??
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »

Honestly I like it best as is...it works as a finished song even as joined snippets  IMHO

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 05:37:16 PM »

It’s like they said with the SMiLE sessions, “roll your own.” This version has all the goodies for us to piece together our own. I can’t wait to see what some fans come up with!

When I get the time I’m going to write more about this amazing. This far, jaw droppingly awesome.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »

Honestly I like it best as is...it works as a finished song even as joined snippets  IMHO

For me it's the 2fer version (the one I heard first), although it does mean "thinking in" the spoken passages from the GV box set...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
MsBecca
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »

It’s like they said with the SMiLE sessions, “roll your own.” This version has all the goodies for us to piece together our own. I can’t wait to see what some fans come up with!

When I get the time I’m going to write more about this amazing. This far, jaw droppingly awesome.

I know more than a little about “rolling your own “ ☺️ But anyways I really dig this version of one of my favorite songs of all time but I got a question. I read somewhere that they continued to work on this until 1980 for the Keeping the Summer Alive album?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 04:18:29 PM »

^ Not sure if there was any further work done but yes it was indeed slated to be in the album. Now if it was re-record or the existing track would’ve been on there or not is a different story completely. I’m not sure on that one. Perhaps c-man could enlighten us.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 04:21:43 PM »

This new version is breathtaking.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:24:01 PM »

Roll your own beach boys.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 11:23:42 AM »

"Sections" is certainly better than anything we've had before.  If they had left off roughly the first 2:10 and last :45, that would have been even better IMO, but then that's easy enough to do at home.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »

Curious to know if the new pieces that were added to this version newly-discovered in the vaults?

Or was it just a case of previously-released versions of this song simply didn't use every available asset/morsel purely for creative choices?
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 04:58:31 AM »

Hi everyone

Apologies I’m not tech savy enough to just post the song link but I found this the other night and having searched on here noticed it’s not been added. Personally my fav version is on the 2ffer SmileySmile bonus but this version has parts I’ve not heard before.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/making-sense-of-cant-wait-too-long-by-the-beach-boys.904798/page-2
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 06:04:14 AM »

Hi everyone

Apologies I’m not tech savy enough to just post the song link but I found this the other night and having searched on here noticed it’s not been added. Personally my fav version is on the 2ffer SmileySmile bonus but this version has parts I’ve not heard before.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/making-sense-of-cant-wait-too-long-by-the-beach-boys.904798/page-2

Ah managed to do it now, sorry about that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBJQDh_GBVA&feature=emb_logo
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 04:00:36 PM »

I haven't heard those harpsichord parts before.

I'm not sure about the legitimacy of these, do they sound like sample instruments to anyone else? If I was going to add Brian Wilson style harpsichord to a pre-existing track, it would be in that pattern. I am listening on a tablet though.

Those vocals at the end sound legit though.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 06:34:03 AM »

I'm not sure about the legitimacy of these, do they sound like sample instruments to anyone else? If I was going to add Brian Wilson style harpsichord to a pre-existing track, it would be in that pattern. I am listening on a tablet though.

They're all from the version of the 20/20 Sessions release from 2018. Check it out!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 08:23:22 AM »

They're all from the version of the 20/20 Sessions release from 2018. Check it out!

You're right. I must be getting old. Although sitting on the toilet listening to a tablet isn't the ideal conditions for an audiophile.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 08:53:02 AM »

My favorite version of ‘Can’t Wait Too Long’ would be like GV box set mix with the descending bass outro from the twofer mix stuck on the end, fading out.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 03:00:30 PM »

I just edited a new version recently. Using only "finished" sections from the 1968 sessions. No spoken word segments.

https://youtu.be/SBJQDh_GBVA
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx