gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680773 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 01:56:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: bb on summer of love video clip  (Read 5595 times)
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2006, 10:14:14 AM »

The Beach Boys - Crocodile Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeBPdw9l1es

Baywatch:
The Beach Boys - Summer Of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIPS9CEKsWs

really dig the video of Summer of Love, all the guys togheter. Why was this not a hit. Mike looks realy cool. Enjoy like i did. I found these on another website and borrowed them.
Wyndham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 10:29:42 AM »

Summer of Love is really horrendous.

I kind of like Crocodile Rock, but I've got to say Carl looked really creepy with that big grey beard, the shades and the hat.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 11:36:57 AM »

The Beach Boys - Crocodile Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeBPdw9l1es

Baywatch:
The Beach Boys - Summer Of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIPS9CEKsWs

really dig the video of Summer of Love, all the guys togheter. Why was this not a hit. Mike looks realy cool. Enjoy like i did. I found these on another website and borrowed them.

Why was this not a hit ?

Because it sucks !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 12:01:50 PM »

The horror..the horror...
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 12:05:46 PM »

I watched the Summer of Love video but had Caroline, No playing instead (speakers are hooked up to ipod)...they somehow seem to perfectly fit.

Shrug

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:48:52 PM »

Judging from the expression on Brian's face, that was the first time he'd ever heard the song.

I still think it would have been acceptable had they stuck with the original choice for lead vocal.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 01:37:12 PM »

Judging from the expression on Brian's face, that was the first time he'd ever heard the song.

I was thinking the exact same thing. But I'm even more curious as to why Brian consented to appear on the video to "Summer Of Love", when he wasn't even on the song, or the album. That is correct isn't it, that Brian had nothing to do with the Summer In Paradise album?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 01:55:38 PM »

Brian's only representation on SIP is as co-composer of "Surfin'".

sailonsailor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 02:46:17 PM »

Carl reminds me of ZZ Top's granddad in that Crocodile Rock video. And what's with Al's extensions?? But it again points out how the band just absolutely had no sense of fashion from day one, from the horrendous album covers to the goofy clothes to the refusal to make Mike Love stop his "Elaine Benes" dance moves to the old-guys-acting-like-teenagers videos (although CALIFORNIA DREAMING was pretty decent.) We can all agree that they were geniuses musically, but their refusal to understand the style part of the job has always fascinated me. How can you be so brilliant musically and so tone-deaf on the rest of the package? You'd think a band that had been through the hip wringer as many times as the Beach Boys had could have hired a consultant to help them help themselves by the time videos came along. God, I love them, but still...
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 02:58:24 PM »

Carl reminds me of ZZ Top's granddad in that Crocodile Rock video. And what's with Al's extensions?? But it again points out how the band just absolutely had no sense of fashion from day one, from the horrendous album covers to the goofy clothes to the refusal to make Mike Love stop his "Elaine Benes" dance moves to the old-guys-acting-like-teenagers videos (although CALIFORNIA DREAMING was pretty decent.) We can all agree that they were geniuses musically, but their refusal to understand the style part of the job has always fascinated me. How can you be so brilliant musically and so tone-deaf on the rest of the package? You'd think a band that had been through the hip wringer as many times as the Beach Boys had could have hired a consultant to help them help themselves by the time videos came along. God, I love them, but still...
i totally 100% w/o a doubt agree...
may this very reason is why Dennis was a no-show so much?
i tell ya, if i had to cavort around with these dorks on video...
pretty soon, i'd think my macho rep wa at stake...nevermind the alcohol & drugs that fueled it!!!
 i know there are less than flattering pic's of Dennis , but, face it, the bb's were narcisists who hogged the spotlight and pushed Denny outta the way, til one day Denny died and there was no more Denny to push aside.

Now here we have the boys in the stupidest getups ever...with no one to blame but themselves and their terrible fashion sense!!!

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 03:06:08 PM »

Because it sucks !

But why does it sucks. in my opinion its got a catcy rythem and i dont listen to the meaning of the lyrics. And i still think mike does look great. The thing i dont understand is that brian is there. The reason being so thats filmed in 1995 when brian got back with the guys
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 03:29:23 PM »

AGD you mentioned had they stuck with the original choice for lead vocal, I am assuming you are referring to Summer of Love there (not Crocodile), who was the originial choice for lead vocal on Summer of Love?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 03:36:19 PM »

I still think it would have been acceptable had they stuck with the original choice for lead vocal.
Who was the original choice for lead vocal?

I remember in 1995 being appalled at them blowing their big chance...a chance to debut a new song on the most-watched TV show in the WORLD...and they choose "Summer Of Love"?  What an embarassment!  "Island Fever", "Strange Things Happen" or "Lahaina Aloha" would have made much better choices, with the first two having hit single potential in other countries.  Everyone I play this song for either laughs or wonders  if it is a serious song, or both.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 04:29:04 AM »

BTW:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 05:23:26 AM »

AGD you mentioned had they stuck with the original choice for lead vocal, I am assuming you are referring to Summer of Love there (not Crocodile), who was the originial choice for lead vocal on Summer of Love?

You're not going to believe this, but it's true. Originally "Summer Of Love" was going to have a lead vocal by...

Bart Simpson.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 05:27:22 AM »

Because it sucks !

But why does it sucks. in my opinion its got a catcy rythem and i dont listen to the meaning of the lyrics. And i still think mike does look great. The thing i dont understand is that brian is there. The reason being so thats filmed in 1995 when brian got back with the guys

It sucks on every level you can concieve. 

The lyrics - written by the "summer/fun/girls" cliche computer...

The delivery - Mike at his very worst (and the video makes my flesh crawl)...

The track - musical painting by numbers...

The production - I use the term loosely.

As a comedy track with a Bart lead vocal, it would have been a doozy, and maybe even a hit.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 06:13:07 AM »

You're not going to believe this, but it's true. Originally "Summer Of Love" was going to have a lead vocal by...

Bart Simpson.

Well, I for one really can't believe this. But if you tell us one ore time that it's true, I might change my mind....
Do the Bart-man !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 11:30:12 AM »

I guess Brian is there cause he felt like a day at the beach. You can tell by the black leather jacket and doc-martins. police
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 04:16:41 PM »

Who was the original choice for lead vocal?

I remember in 1995 being appalled at them blowing their big chance...a chance to debut a new song on the most-watched TV show in the WORLD...and they choose "Summer Of Love"?  What an embarassment!  "Island Fever", "Strange Things Happen" or "Lahaina Aloha" would have made much better choices, with the first two having hit single potential in other countries.  Everyone I play this song for either laughs or wonders  if it is a serious song, or both.
i feel the same way...they should've gone Grunge instead of Rap!!! haha
SG7
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 06:36:08 PM »

Brian would have fit the bill then  Grin
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 06:52:01 PM »

For all of you fashion critics, the whole point of everyone's (not just the BB's) "look" in the "Crocodile Rock" video was intentionally tacky and retro-cheesy. That's why they're wearing the garish duds (like Al's plaid jackets) and the unflattering hats. For heaven's sake, Bruce is dressed like a hitman in some shots! It's a joke, son.

Anyway, it's sure not how they dressed normally, although that was Al's real hair (he wore it in a ponytail in the early '90s).
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 07:05:02 PM »

Cheezy like wiz, dude. i had to face my friends  in'91 sayin the Beach Boys were the bomb?!

i'm sure tey were into nirvana & soundgarden and here i was into crocodile rock?
sailonsailor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 07:52:44 PM »

Yeah, but they were cheesy before it was retro. I don't want to beat up on them, but they have never understood the importance of image in marketing their music, and it hurt them, well, i was going to say for years, but I think it essentially continues to this day.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 03:41:11 AM »

Yeah, but they were cheesy before it was retro. I don't want to beat up on them, but they have never understood the importance of image in marketing their music, and it hurt them, well, i was going to say for years, but I think it essentially continues to this day.

Totally agree !

BTW I'd like to hear a Nirvana-version of "I'm broke"  Grin

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 01:08:22 AM »

I think they looked cool until about 76-77. The shorts on stage is when it all went wrong.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx