gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:43:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Day In The Life Of A Tree Oh lord lay me down  (Read 3016 times)
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2018, 05:57:35 PM »

The little section “oh lord lay me down my branches to the ground there’s nothing left for me” I always thought it was Al singing.
Mr Desper has said in his past study video that it’s Brian voice.

It kind of reminds me for the “Daddy Dear” situation where at times it sounds like it could be either one of them.

What do you guys think?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 06:53:01 PM »

I feel pretty good about my ears telling me that’s Alan Jardine . It has his phrasing .
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »

The phrasing of "branches to the ground" is a dead giveaway. It's Al.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 09:54:12 PM »

While Brian and Al can oftentimes sound remarkably similar (I Know There's An Answer, Al taking Brian's leads live, etc....) but with that being said, based on what I can, I have doubt in my mind that it's Al singing.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 04:13:48 AM »

I think "Oh lord, I lay me down" is Jack, but the rest is Al.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 04:37:01 AM »

The first voice in the tag is Jack, centered as he is throughout the song, going into falsetto to sing "Oh Lord, I lay me down, my life's not to be found, there's nothing left for me" - followed by Van Dyke entering in the right channel, singing "Trees like me weren't meant to live", etc. - followed by Al, entering rather abruptly on the left, singing "I lay me down, my branches to the ground, there's nothing left for me / Oh Lord, I lay me down, my branches to the ground." After that, it's just the background voices. Again, if you focus on how that last voice sings "branches to the ground" both times he sings it, you'll surely see that it's Al.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 04:40:42 AM »

The first voice in the tag is Jack, centered as he is throughout the song, going into falsetto to sing "Oh Lord, I lay me down, my life's not to be found, there's nothing left for me" - followed by Van Dyke entering in the right channel, singing "Trees like me weren't meant to live", etc. - followed by Al, entering rather abruptly on the left, singing "I lay me down, my branches to the ground, there's nothing left for me / Oh Lord, I lay me down, my branches to the ground." After that, it's just the background voices. Again, if you focus on how that last voice sings "branches to the ground" both times he sings it, you'll surely see that it's Al.
You're right, of course.  Smiley I didn't realize at first that everybody was talking about the "round of harmony" at the very end.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »

Does Brian sing on this track at all?

I always imagined he was singing the three-toned "bah bah bah" and the "dada daaa da" together with Al. Does he contribute anything else?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 10:20:45 AM »

Is this the only instance of the VDP singing audibly on a song by The BBs?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 10:50:43 AM »

Is this the only instance of the VDP singing audibly on a song by The BBs?

I believe so. He played piano on many of the SMiLE tracks, but as for singing, I think this is it.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »

Does Brian sing on this track at all?

I always imagined he was singing the three-toned "bah bah bah" and the "dada daaa da" together with Al. Does he contribute anything else?

Pretty sure his singing a backing harmony in the ending tag.
From memory Jack mentioned Brian even got his house keeper to join.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 06:49:39 AM »

Al. Definitely.  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx