gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
644514 Posts in 25767 Topics by 3669 Members - Latest Member: ChristieSc March 18, 2019, 05:01:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin's THE BEACH BOYS' ENDLESS WAVE completed and published  (Read 25979 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 08, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »

In THIS way...Carl wasn't Dennis.  Carl was a gentle soul who  wasn't a warrior.  Carl chose NOT to attend in Vietnam.  He was never a typical 'one of the boys' kinda guy.   Carl was a creative musician.   And this big hulking 'Wheaties' eater cold cocks him?  It wasn't like Carl was trying to sneak a little crack into somebody's pipe.  He was 1/2 cut...3 sheets to the wind...schickered.    Hangin' out with that 'contingent'...I'd have been plowed too.  [daily]  Then along comes a dim-witted, morally challenged, jock-wearing 1/2 miler...ON THE PAYROLL...who decides he can just up and knock 'the boss' out cold 'cause he ran his mouth a little too far while he was obviously under the influence of too many drinky-poos...plus the medication for his REALLY BAD back?

Rocklette should have known his place...and someone should have, subsequently shown him the door and cut him loose then and there...leaving him to try and figure out what his next move would have been...down under.  If that had happened...he'd still be there.  And we wouldn't be here.  That little man couldn't rub two clues together to warm his bonnet on even a record setting scorcher of a day.  Ethically and literally...there's never been ANYONE home.  And we're here 'discussing' his wee booklet?  Whoever asked the apologist's question "did anybody read the book?" needs to soak his noggin in a big-ass bowl of Pamplin piss.  We all read enough to know that the only thing floating in this bowl are huge, fly attracting dollops of sea-worthy bull sh!t.

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! You ain't just whistlin' Dixie, Lee!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 08, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »

In THIS way...Carl wasn't Dennis.  Carl was a gentle soul who  wasn't a warrior.  Carl chose NOT to attend in Vietnam.  He was never a typical 'one of the boys' kinda guy.   Carl was a creative musician.   And this big hulking 'Wheaties' eater cold cocks him?  It wasn't like Carl was trying to sneak a little crack into somebody's pipe.  He was 1/2 cut...3 sheets to the wind...schickered.    Hangin' out with that 'contingent'...I'd have been plowed too.  [daily]  Then along comes a dim-witted, morally challenged, jock-wearing 1/2 miler...ON THE PAYROLL...who decides he can just up and knock 'the boss' out cold 'cause he ran his mouth a little too far while he was obviously under the influence of too many drinky-poos...plus the medication for his REALLY BAD back?

Rocklette should have known his place...and someone should have, subsequently shown him the door and cut him loose then and there...leaving him to try and figure out what his next move would have been...down under.  If that had happened...he'd still be there.  And we wouldn't be here.  That little man couldn't rub two clues together to warm his bonnet on even a record setting scorcher of a day.  Ethically and literally...there's never been ANYONE home.  And we're here 'discussing' his wee booklet?  Whoever asked the apologist's question "did anybody read the book?" needs to soak his noggin in a big-ass bowl of Pamplin piss.  We all read enough to know that the only thing floating in this bowl are huge, fly attracting dollops of sea-worthy bull sh!t.

This has been discussed and rehashed more than once, but I’ll say it again. Carl was on the payroll just like Rocky. David Frost was picking up the tab for the tour. He was the promoter. He funded it, was going to loose money on it if things went south. They were, big time. I was at the Christchurch show on the same tour. They sounded like sh!t. You would have continued funding that circus? Of course not. You would have got the muscle to straighten the instigators out, and David Frost did.
Again, ego’s, alcohol, drugs, testosterone, don’t mix. That’s my main point. Sure Carl was a class act, but he himself admitted he let himself down at that time (Perth). I don’t know if he ever did but had he been alive today it would not surprise me if he said the events of that tour turned his life around. Within 3 years he had sobered up and had a solo career.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 13, 2019, 06:11:05 AM »

When Stephen took over the reins and replaced Nick Grillo as manager in April, 1972, momentum was finally building as the Beach Boys’ concert tours became increasingly popular. One of Stephen’s first major decisions was to start a repayment program from the band to Brian and Marilyn for $330,000 they’d poured into the group over the previous few years (well over two million dollars in today’s money). Stephen had Brian’s back. When all the money was eventually repaid, Marilyn gratefully told Stephen, “Thanks for looking after us.”

Brian cried when he signed the CBS contract. Could he miraculously create another hit record? For Brian, the thought was painful and frightening; he really wanted no part of fame or success again. After all, look what it had brought him before, nothing but heartache and disappointment. Brian had been a broken man for almost a decade.

Did he have the mettle to put his fragile self, his talent, and his soul on the line again? That was the multi-million-dollar question. We were going to see if Stephen could prop Brian up, with my help and Stan’s, and get the golden goose to produce a hit record that would resonate with the times.

A lot had happened during the years that Brian had been in bed, not writing music, totally withdrawn from the band. Cocaine and heroin had become his drugs of choice. He would call his dealers at all hours, day or night, and tell them there was a thousand dollars in the mailbox (that always guaranteed a quick delivery). Brian was a physical and emotional wreck. At his peak weight, he carried over 300 pounds on his 6-foot, 3-inch frame, had greasy hair down past his shoulders, a scraggly beard, unclipped toenails, nicotine-stained fingers, and went unbathed for days, sometimes weeks at a time.

To further complicate the challenges he faced, Brian heard voices on a regular basis, voices sometimes telling him to harm people, or that people were about to harm him.
. He was in the throes of addiction, a seemingly hopeless lost cause, and he’d been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic. He had absolutely no interest in life, love, music or anything of value. Being a productive member of society was dead last on Brian’s list of priorities.
He was a defeated shell of a man, simply waiting to die. If ever there was a modern-day tragic Shakespearean character, Brian filled the role. He had, in the vernacular of surfers, wiped out.
Psychologist Eugene Landy was hired for the first time in 1975, but he was fired by Stephen after his fees climbed to over $22,000 a month. Marilyn reached the end of her rope in 1976, when she felt Brian was a danger to himself and to the family. She threatened to have him committed to a mental institution.
Stephen pleaded with Marilyn to delay committing Brian and to give it one more try, take one last chance to save Brian. He asked her permission to hire his younger brother, Stan, to enter their home and drag Brian out of bed—against his will, if necessary—to try and save Brian.
Marilyn would always push back. “You either do what Stan tells you to do, or you’re going to the mental hospital.”

Clearly, Stan needed more backup in the extremely demanding, nearly impossible task of saving a lost soul who would go to any length to get drugs. That’s when Stan suggested to Stephen that they bring me aboard to help.
Stephen’s last-ditch effort to avoid institutionalizing Brian worked, despite some surprising actions by Brian’s own brothers, and despite every wily effort Brian made to get drugs. Brian did come back from the edge, and Stephen’s "Brian’s Back" campaign made the band richer than it had been in its heyday in the Sixties.
This was an interesting thread.
To add to the comments about  the factual inaccuracies and the heroism of Mike Love, I would like to add the following thoughts:
1. If you feel that for legal reasons you can’t write an honest book, the ethical thing to do is not write it, and maybe write an article about the legal pressure to be either dishonest or silent.
2. Co-writing a nonfiction book behooves you to research the subject and fact-check.
3. The above quote recounts what was my main problem with Rocky before: the incredible inhumanity with which Brian Wilson was treated and the continued defense of it. It is clear from the set up that Brian Wilson has enough money to get proper treatment. It is also clear from the entire narrative that money for other members of the band  was the motivation behind Stephen Love’s and the other participants’ actions toward B Wilson, despite their justifications. The excerpt makes clear that all understood that he was suffering from severe mental illness, yet they decided to put him, at threat of physical abuse, in a stressful and damaging situation. To feign, among all the evidence of being motivated by finances, that the purpose was to save his life is pure gaslighting and justification for immoral exploitation of an extremely damaged and vulnerable person.
What they did to him then was not only immoral (IMO) but illegal (factually).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
The Dr. of Wilsonomics
Global Moderator

🍦🍦My daughter and I -23 Dec 2018 ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: March 13, 2019, 08:33:09 AM »

Well said, Emily

RIP Alexa Lestage (8 May 1995- 10 June 2018) .

https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-the-jurkowlaniecs

Lady:”Sir why you are drowning my son!!! “
Guy:“Maa’m, the ad clearly reads...SEA horse rides for a dollar “
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 13, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »

Welcome back emily!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 13, 2019, 04:49:35 PM »

I'll buy the book but only if i get to punch Rocky
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 14, 2019, 11:52:54 AM »

If Rocky tries to give drugs to Brian, I will punch him myself.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
The Dr. of Wilsonomics
Global Moderator

🍦🍦My daughter and I -23 Dec 2018 ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »

If that was true of everyone who wanted to punch Rocky, he’d have a best seller

RIP Alexa Lestage (8 May 1995- 10 June 2018) .

https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-the-jurkowlaniecs

Lady:”Sir why you are drowning my son!!! “
Guy:“Maa’m, the ad clearly reads...SEA horse rides for a dollar “
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx