gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:57:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin's THE BEACH BOYS' ENDLESS WAVE completed and published  (Read 136693 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 20, 2019, 04:28:26 PM »

Rocky using a burner account? Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 20, 2019, 04:29:26 PM »

Funny how Ron's writing style is morphing into Rocky's...anyone else notice that ??  police
I suspected it waaay before you. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 20, 2019, 11:33:25 PM »

Funny how Ron's writing style is morphing into Rocky's...anyone else notice that ??  police
I've thought it was him all along.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 21, 2019, 09:47:42 AM »

I've thought it was him all along.

You guys are fun. I ain't Rocky. Simple as that. Those of you who think you figured it out sooner give me a giggle.
By the way I'd like to post the Palisadian Post review. Can someone instruct me as to how? I'd appreciate it.

Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 21, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »

The BB are still here and it is because of Mike Love, for better or for worse, but that's the fact.
CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.

Did you even read what I wrote? It seems like you are clueless. If we are talking about there being a band out on the road named "The Beach Boys" because of Mike Love, sure, I'll buy that. But as far as the group being anywhere near pop culture...once again, here are the reasons they've mattered since we lost Carl...

You just don't get it man. Just because he kept the "name" out there doesn't mean he did any good. Seeing him and his band on the CW channel doing his solo tunes isn't doing The Beach Boys name any good. And honestly, why are The Beach Boys really in the public consciousness since Carl died, Al was kicked out and Brian basically quit working within the group framework in the late '90s? Here's why (in roughly chronological fashion)...

Brian touring. Obviously this was a big deal. Nobody thought Brian would really end up being a road warrior. And now look!

The Stamos movie. This kept them in the popular conscience, but not necessarily in a great way. Definitely reinforced the "Brian as a zombie" from the SMiLE sessions and onward theory. But regardless, it did get some people interested in the group again surely, which can't be a bad thing.

Pet Sounds. The legend has grown and grown. You had The Pet Sounds Sessions set in 1997 and things have kept going since then. And you have Brian touring it in the early 2000s.

Sounds of Summer. This was a big, unexpected hit in 2003. The Beatles had 1 and that did great and The Beach Boys followed it with their own compilation and did big business as well. If somebody was to say this didn't matter to the Boys trajectory post '98, well....they're wrong.

Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE. 2004 was huge as far as the name Brian Wilson (and therefore The Beach Boys) was concerned. Just as Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy and Dr. Dre's Compton made their mark in 2008 and 2015 respectively, it was a huge story that The Beach Boys resident songwriter was finally completing and performing his lost masterpiece. And then the album. Highest Beach Boys chart placement since, what, 15 Big Ones?

Mike Love and Bruce Johnston touring. Yes it matters. But not to the extent Ronnie Raygun puts it. It's good for some spots in the local newspaper and a ticket giveaway on your local sh*t-rock station, but beyond that nothing. Really nothing. There's really no word of mouth among the world at large about Mike and Bruce Beach Boys shows.

The SMiLE Sessions. Obviously this was huge as well. It's The Beach Boys version of SMiLE and then some. There wasn't any way this wasn't gonna be a hit.

The reunion and That's Why God Made The Radio. This is where it all coalesced and I'd say The Beach Boys as an entity were at their highest recognition since...what? 1976? 1989? Regardless, this is where The Beach Boys name should be. And what happens you ask? The guy who is "keeping the band together" and "keeping it going" decided to rip the band apart, freezing out the songwriter and another founding member, along with their guitarist. So yeah, thanks Mikey boy!

If you disagree with this, fine. But if you're gonna go and do that, prove me wrong. Don't just say "hey man, Mike is why the Beach Boys still matter and fuckk you if you disagree."

You don't have to get insulting. I did not say or imply that Mike is the reason the BB still matter and I certainly did not say "f*#k you if you disagree. If someone wants to see the band that has been continuously on the road for 5 decades, it's because of Mike Love. There, I've proved you wrong.
I don't recall insulting anyone on this site except for the guys that took cheap shots at the book in a public forum. That was just rude and insulting and needless harm was caused. Calling my work a "waste of money" was hurtful. Perhaps you've had enough of me on this site.
Fair enough. I grow weary of some of you as well. But I repeat I never said "f*#k you" if you disagree.
My apologies to the rest of the Smile members for my part in engendering that kind of response.
I'm not Rocky by the way as I've said elsewhere. That's simply not true.
All The Best, Smilers. "I'm still here."

And again, I'd be pleased to post the Palisadian Review. Some of you may enjoy seeing it and without paying $30.00 for a subscription, that will not be possible.
If someone can instruct me as to how to post a PDF file on here, I'll put it up. Thanks.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 21, 2019, 10:13:32 AM »

If someone wants to see the band that has been continuously on the road for 5 decades, it's because of Mike Love. There, I've proved you wrong.

But surely there is a difference between saying that "Because of Mike Love, people have been able to see the band for five decades" vs. saying "Because of Mike Love, people have wanted to see the band for five decades." Do you not see a distinction there?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:56:14 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 21, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »

You don't have to get insulting. I did not say or imply that Mike is the reason the BB still matter and I certainly did not say "f*#k you if you disagree. If someone wants to see the band that has been continuously on the road for 5 decades, it's because of Mike Love. There, I've proved you wrong.
I don't recall insulting anyone on this site except for the guys that took cheap shots at the book in a public forum. That was just rude and insulting and needless harm was caused. Calling my work a "waste of money" was hurtful. Perhaps you've had enough of me on this site.
Fair enough. I grow weary of some of you as well. But I repeat I never said "f*#k you" if you disagree.
My apologies to the rest of the Smile members for my part in engendering that kind of response.
I'm not Rocky by the way as I've said elsewhere. That's simply not true.
All The Best, Smilers. "I'm still here."

And again, I'd be pleased to post the Palisadian Review. Some of you may enjoy seeing it and without paying $30.00 for a subscription, that will not be possible.
If someone can instruct me as to how to post a PDF file on here, I'll put it up. Thanks.

I do not think I was insulting at all. In fact, I feel very insulted that you haven't deemed it appropriate to engage me in real conversation after I went point by point refuting your claim.

Now, lets get to your point about Mike Love. Your initial point was not "If someone wants to see the band that has been continuously on the road for 5 decades, it's because of Mike Love." It was more along the lines of, "The reason the band is still alive and still exists to the rank and file out there on Planet Earth is the one and only "Mike Love."

Now if you mean, that Mike Love is the only original Beach Boy that people can see perform as "The Beach Boys" then yes, you're correct. But even, the fact that you said the "reason the band is still alive and still exists" is to due Mike Love, that's incorrect. The reason Brian and Al, who are still legally Beach Boys can't tour with The Beach Boys is because Mike Love has paid to have the license. If Mike truly cared about "keeping the legacy alive" and bringing us the music "the way it should be" shouldn't he have allowed the main songwriter and also a very, very important voice to keep touring with him?

And if you say, he keeps the music out there....well, so does Brian and Al. And even David Marks. Though I have a feeling you don't know who David Marks is, so I'll let you know. He was in the group early on, played on quite a few hit singles and appeared on their first four albums, and also on the group's latest, 2012's That's Why God Made The Radio.

Also, you said something like, "the fact that the BB are still around, unlike the Beatles or Jimmy Hendricks, for instance, is a show business miracle in many ways. It's not just the music," is alluding to Mike Love touring I presume. And last I checked he's one guy. So by that reasoning, if Paul McCartney decided he wanted to tour as "The Beatles" starting next week would that mean that the group "The Beatles" were once again a real, current performing group? Because by your rationale, that's what this means. Also, who is Jimmy Hendricks?

Lastly, I for one do not care one iota about the Palisadian Review, though I wish you luck with your book and may at some point purchase a copy. Though I'm disappointed by all the mistakes I've heard about, I may still give it a chance.

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 21, 2019, 02:02:58 PM »

Since Ron's problem with me is primarily connected to my posting a one-star rating on Amazon after only reading one chapter of the book, I think that everyone on this site who has read the entire book should go on Amazon and post their own rating. 

Of course, Ron only thinks the ratings are legitimate if the reviewer gives the book 5 stars. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 21, 2019, 04:48:09 PM »

Mtaber, your newsletters deserve more stars.... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 21, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »

Mtaber "gets" it! Grin

Mtaber rocks! LuHv the "tongue in cheek" approach. Maybe someday Reynaldo will get religion concerning the crumbster lovester.
Exactly, plus the patience of a saint to deal with Ro(n)cky...

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 21, 2019, 07:05:02 PM »

Smile Brian - my newsletters would get 5 stars, but only on a scale of 1-100 stars! Wink
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 22, 2019, 12:55:59 AM »

Since Ron's problem with me is primarily connected to my posting a one-star rating on Amazon after only reading one chapter of the book, I think that everyone on this site who has read the entire book should go on Amazon and post their own rating. 

Of course, Ron only thinks the ratings are legitimate if the reviewer gives the book 5 stars. 

You're correct, read the full thing then give a review  LOL
Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 23, 2019, 03:05:51 PM »

Finally, something you and I can agree on. It deserves 5 stars, take my word for it. Of course I'm being facetious. However to call it a waste of money is just rude.
The time and effort Rocky, the editor, the publisher and Stan Love, who donated never before seen pics from his personal collection, put into this is nobody's waste of time or money.
We are never going to please the aficionados on this site when it comes to details or taste. You all are way above my pay grade in that arena. But I promise you the insights I brought to the bigger picture are based on years of show business experience in the record, film, management and publishing areas and they will be if interest if you keep an open mind. It was done with hard work and good intentions.

Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 23, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »

If someone wants to see the band that has been continuously on the road for 5 decades, it's because of Mike Love. There, I've proved you wrong.

But surely there is a difference between saying that "Because of Mike Love, people have been able to see the band for five decades" vs. saying "Because of Mike Love, people have wanted to see the band for five decades." Do you not see a distinction there?

Yes I do and it is a valid one. People can still see the Temptations, hear their music, enjoy the brand and music associated with them. Not so bad. For purists, that may even be considered an insult. I get your point.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2019, 12:20:06 AM »

I think it's pretty funny how Reynaldo can boast about years of experience in the entertainment field, yet get literally every single thing wrong about the subject he's writing about. He can't even quote the correct lyrics to "Let It Be", a song by arguably the most famous and well known musical group in the world.

Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 02, 2019, 10:40:34 AM »

I think it's pretty funny how Reynaldo can boast about years of experience in the entertainment field, yet get literally every single thing wrong about the subject he's writing about. He can't even quote the correct lyrics to "Let It Be", a song by arguably the most famous and well known musical group in the world.

I luv hyperbole. Every single thing, huh? Must be some kind of record. Wait, I'm guessing we got a few names spelled right. I'm guessing that we revealed hitherto unexamined sibling rivalries, talent/management interplay and how they impacted the band's career. Wait, I can't keep track. Are you the guy that hasn't even read the book, or the guy who read it and labeled it a waste of money. I'm having trouble keeping track of which petty little sniper I'm hearing from. btw, which Beatle lyrics did I miss quote? Sound grievous, but I'm curious to hear and fess up, Mr Fact checker. Let's hear it.
Let's get into the details, shall we, since the big picture of an insightful take on this great band and a fascinating account of a guy who was actually there eludes you entirely.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 03, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »

Ron, you've made your points. We've made ours. Some of us will buy Rocky's book, some won't. Some will wait until it shows up at a price that we feel is more appropriate to pay for the accounts of someone whose biggest claim to fame is cold-cocking Carl Wilson, who had more talent in his little finger than Rocky has in his entire body--which very likely the case for you and me as well. Were the BBs messed up in the late 70s? You better believe it. Did Mike Love help keep the band alive? Sure he did. But in the years after Rocky's "services" were no longer required, Carl Wilson was the musical anchor of the band until he became too ill to continue. It's pretty clear that the BBs were running on fumes from 1998-2012 until they agreed to reunite for a 50th tour. From 1998 to 2012 Brian Wilson was out touring with his own band, and THAT was at least as important to the viability of a reunion as anything Mike did. Without Brian, a 50th anniversary show would have been a total joke and a complete non-starter.

If you can't see that, then I think all of us here, regardless of our varying levels of hostility to Rocky and--by proxy--to you, as you continue to stir the pot for little or no good reason, should just walk away from this thread and chalk things up to the fact that we tried to set you straight about the actual history of the band. We tried--and failed. Time to for everyone to move on: there's nothing left to say--or see--here. Best of luck with your product, but be grateful that the sons of Carl Wilson are mellow and tolerant guys and will likely consider the source once they become aware of how badly their father was treated in the pages of Rocky's book. If it were Mike you'd done that to, you'd very likely open your door one day and find someone standing there with a subpoena in his hand.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 03, 2019, 04:21:12 PM »

Ron, you've made your points. We've made ours. Some of us will buy Rocky's book, some won't. Some will wait until it shows up at a price that we feel is more appropriate to pay for the accounts of someone whose biggest claim to fame is cold-cocking Carl Wilson, who had more talent in his little finger than Rocky has in his entire body--which very likely the case for you and me as well. Were the BBs messed up in the late 70s? You better believe it. Did Mike Love help keep the band alive? Sure he did. But in the years after Rocky's "services" were no longer required, Carl Wilson was the musical anchor of the band until he became too ill to continue. It's pretty clear that the BBs were running on fumes from 1998-2012 until they agreed to reunite for a 50th tour. From 1998 to 2012 Brian Wilson was out touring with his own band, and THAT was at least as important to the viability of a reunion as anything Mike did. Without Brian, a 50th anniversary show would have been a total joke and a complete non-starter.

If you can't see that, then I think all of us here, regardless of our varying levels of hostility to Rocky and--by proxy--to you, as you continue to stir the pot for little or no good reason, should just walk away from this thread and chalk things up to the fact that we tried to set you straight about the actual history of the band. We tried--and failed. Time to for everyone to move on: there's nothing left to say--or see--here. Best of luck with your product, but be grateful that the sons of Carl Wilson are mellow and tolerant guys and will likely consider the source once they become aware of how badly their father was treated in the pages of Rocky's book. If it were Mike you'd done that to, you'd very likely open your door one day and find someone standing there with a subpoena in his hand.

Thread winner for sure. Nice job Mr. Malcom.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 03, 2019, 09:42:03 PM »

I luv hyperbole. Every single thing, huh? Must be some kind of record. Wait, I'm guessing we got a few names spelled right. I'm guessing that we revealed hitherto unexamined sibling rivalries, talent/management interplay and how they impacted the band's career. Wait, I can't keep track. Are you the guy that hasn't even read the book, or the guy who read it and labeled it a waste of money. I'm having trouble keeping track of which petty little sniper I'm hearing from. btw, which Beatle lyrics did I miss quote? Sound grievous, but I'm curious to hear and fess up, Mr Fact checker. Let's hear it.
Let's get into the details, shall we, since the big picture of an insightful take on this great band and a fascinating account of a guy who was actually there eludes you entirely.

Since you asked politely, the Beatles song you quoted from is "Let It Be". The lyric as quoted in the book is "Crystal words of wisdom, let it be". The correct lyric is "Whisper words of wisdom, let it be". If you had read your own book you wouldn't have to ask.

By the way, the word is "misquote", not "miss quote".

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 04, 2019, 05:04:22 AM »

Jay - are you implying that Ron hasn't read his own book?   Shocked  If that were true, he wouldn't be qualified to comment on it, according to what he's told me! Grin
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 04, 2019, 05:55:24 AM »

Jay - are you implying that Ron hasn't read his own book?   Shocked  If that were true, he wouldn't be qualified to comment on it, according to what he's told me! Grin
No, I'm flat out saying it.  Grin He most likely was given pamplin's incoherent, rambling mess of a "manuscript" , did his best to edit it down and shape it into a readable book, and sent it to a publisher to deal with. He probably didn't give one iota of a thought to fact checking it, having lost to many brain cells already after reading the "manuscript".

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 04, 2019, 06:04:45 AM »

Let's everybody just insult him, it's amazing that despite this guy trolling & this thread being useless, you still treat him with politeness. Just listen to me, I'm talking real business here. You'll be better. Jay? mtaber? Malcolm? Folks? Is it the deal?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 04, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »

Let's everybody just insult him....

Seriously? Let’s not....
Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 05, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »

Let's everybody just insult him, it's amazing that despite this guy trolling & this thread being useless, you still treat him with politeness. Just listen to me, I'm talking real business here. You'll be better. Jay? mtaber? Malcolm? Folks? Is it the deal?

Bring it on guys. I've spent my life in show business. I know we did good work on this book. If you've actually read it, bring it. If you're just into sniping, bring it, but note that you're blowing smoke, and don't pretend to comment on something you haven't read with any expectation of respect from me.

Thanks for the correction on the Beatles quote. That is a dumb oversight. I'll try and get it corrected. Hey, if one steps into the public forum, one takes his chances.

No one is giving me the instructions so I can post the Palisadian Post review here. Haven't figured out how to post a PDF file. Happy to give you all a pro's take on the book. It's a good one. Also, I could post a PDF review from MUSIC COLLECTOR, the "Rolling Stone" of Great Britain.

Are we having fun yet?

By the way, I'm in earnest about a limited series about the Band. 6-8 hours would give this amazing story time to breathe.

What's the take on Bohemian Rhapsody? I liked it.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 05, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »

Ron, do you mean Record Collector  ?  Or is it a Miss Quote    LOL
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:52:53 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx