gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:45:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin's THE BEACH BOYS' ENDLESS WAVE completed and published  (Read 136734 times)
Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »

Hi All,

Via a long and winding road, Rocky's original manuscript, WIPEOUT, is finally done and published. Now titled THE BEACH BOYS' ENDLESS WAVE, its up on Amazon Books.
I wanted you all to know about this for a bunch of reasons, the most surprising of which is that I ended up authoring this with Rocky. I'm pleased and honored to be included in the project and I have the Smile board in many ways to thank for it. It was the interest in the project from this very site that inspired me to get involved.
Rocky and I have asked the publisher to give the members a discount through the site if they are interested.
Check it out on the Amazon page. Scroll down and read the description and let us know. I know this can be a tough crowd and this is sort of like "leading with the chin" but we worked long and hard to create something that members would be interested in reading.
I'm hoping my Momma didn't raise no dummies so please have a look.

Ron

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:48:01 AM by Reynaldo » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »

I bought it and read it. I’ll admit it is entertaining and interesting but I wish it didn’t leave such a bitter aftertaste-the portrayal of Dennis and Carl are almost wholly negative (Mike only positive). Obviously this is Rocky’s experiences but the book needs some balance. A few tacked on words about how Carl And Dennis were not that bad just didn’t cut it
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »

I see the book went from 35 chapters (the titles of which Rocky originally posted on this board) to 28. He also posted some excerpts. Does the text in the current book bear much resemblance to the excerpts posted here around three years ago? At one point Rocky described the book as the autobiography of his friend Steve Love. Would you still characterize it as such? What was Steve Love's level involvement in the book?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:56:23 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 08:21:36 PM »

I bought it and read it. I’ll admit it is entertaining and interesting but I wish it didn’t leave such a bitter aftertaste-the portrayal of Dennis and Carl are almost wholly negative (Mike only positive). Obviously this is Rocky’s experiences but the book needs some balance. A few tacked on words about how Carl And Dennis were not that bad just didn’t cut it

I'm pleased to hear you found the book "entertaining and interesting." Thanks for that.
We certainly did not mean to leave a negative portrayal of Dennis and Carl. I'm a little surprised that that is the result for you.

Dennis was a tragic figure by any standards, all that talent destroyed by drugs. No way to whitewash that. It's just the way it went.
As for Carl, things went down a certain way, the reader can judge for themselves. Thanks for getting the book in any case.

I'm sure Rocky would like to weigh in on this topic. Do you know how he could be allowed back on the site, what he'd have to do to get back on?

Ron
Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »

By the way, how'd you like the pictures? Most were from Stan Love's private collection. He was very kind to let us use them.
Ron
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 05:57:35 AM »

Yes some good photos-though some are miscaptioned. The photo of Brian In a help me Rhonda shirt smoking “reefer” is from the 1970s not the mid 60s and there is a photo of Brian, Carl and Steve labeled 1978 that is clearly from the late 1980s not 1978
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 06:40:26 AM »

I'm pleased to hear you found the book "entertaining and interesting." Thanks for that.
We certainly did not mean to leave a negative portrayal of Dennis and Carl. I'm a little surprised that that is the result for you.

Dennis was a tragic figure by any standards, all that talent destroyed by drugs. No way to whitewash that. It's just the way it went.
As for Carl, things went down a certain way, the reader can judge for themselves. Thanks for getting the book in any case.

I'm sure Rocky would like to weigh in on this topic. Do you know how he could be allowed back on the site, what he'd have to do to get back on?

Ron
With all due respect(to you), there isn't a chance in hell of him ever being allowed back bere. He was permanently banned from this board, with good reason. You might want to take a look through his posting history to get an idea of why he's not welcome here.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 07:24:56 AM »

So this HUNK O' POOP 'booklette' from one of the sorriest [and clearly insignificant] bystanders in the history of the Beach Boys has sadly oozed to the surface for its 15 minutes of well clouded-over daylight?

What a shame it is that the gutless somehow garner attention, entirely after the fact, when all they really deserve is to be completely ignored.

Let that coward back in here to pump his jaded and tainted view?  Not a chance.  I vote unequivocally NO!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 09:04:33 AM »

Unless I'm mixing up discussions from a few years ago, or maybe it was something Stan wrote independent of this book, but wasn't there supposed to be some more detailed information on Mike's early 90's song credit lawsuit and some possible behind-the-scenes activities and details related to that case? I seem to remember some posts asking for more info after the topic was mentioned and it kept coming back as replies suggesting "wait for the book"...Is there any info on that topic and the lawsuit in this book or would that be something else?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 09:25:17 AM »

https://www.minclaw.com/legal-resource-center/what-is-defamation/can-dead-people-defamed/

I haven't read the new book, but as a general rule, the above is always worth keeping mind when a book delves into both deceased and still-living individuals. It's easier to be much more "honest" about deceased individuals.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 01:42:41 PM »

No the book does not go into the copyright thing.  It is mainly about his year and a half minding Brian and his few subsequent interactions with the BBs
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »

Rocky got the "book" published?  This is a bad dream, right?

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »

Just went on Amazon and read the product description for the book - says the band. led by Mike, was fighting off the British Invasion in 1976!  Geez, that was a LONG British Invasion!  And the two book reviews are obviously written by Rocky himself.  This is a bad dream...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 02:51:07 PM »

Geez, that was a LONG British Invasion! 

Yeah - even the Bay City Rollers "invasion" was over by late '76!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 03:47:11 PM »

You dummies...’The Beach Boys’ we’re head to head with ‘The Sex Pistols’ in 76.

Calling yourselves fans.  Wink

http://www.eastportlandblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/BrianWilsonJohnnyRotten.jpg
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:50:25 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 04:26:54 PM »

Yes some good photos-though some are miscaptioned. The photo of Brian In a help me Rhonda shirt smoking “reefer” is from the 1970s not the mid 60s and there is a photo of Brian, Carl and Steve labeled 1978 that is clearly from the late 1980s not 1978

Thanks for the info on the pics. That was the information we received on them. The dim and distant past, eh.

Ron
Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »

Just went on Amazon and read the product description for the book - says the band. led by Mike, was fighting off the British Invasion in 1976!  Geez, that was a LONG British Invasion!  And the two book reviews are obviously written by Rocky himself.  This is a bad dream...

Actually the book reviews were NOT written by Rocky. But this is what "leading with your chin" gets ya. Why don't you read it and actually see what you think of the book?
Like I said, Rocky and I got the publisher to agree to give the Smile site a discount. You guys and this site are in fact, special to the evolution of the book into it's present form.
I am quite thankful for all of the enthusiasm, positive and negative.
Ron
Reynaldo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »

So this HUNK O' POOP 'booklette' from one of the sorriest [and clearly insignificant] bystanders in the history of the Beach Boys has sadly oozed to the surface for its 15 minutes of well clouded-over daylight?

What a shame it is that the gutless somehow garner attention, entirely after the fact, when all they really deserve is to be completely ignored.

Let that coward back in here to pump his jaded and tainted view?  Not a chance.  I vote unequivocally NO!!!

Hi Lee,

Clearly, I think you've got it wrong when it comes to Rocky. A flawed individual, like the rest of us, no doubt, but he was there, along with Stan Love, behind the scenes, embedded with the band and Brian for quite some time. You can thank your lucky stars that Stan and Rocky were brought into Brian's life. Their intervention was essential to Brian's recovery. Say what you will, it was that pivotal time that they were there, with Brian, day in and day out, for the better part of 3 years that kept him from slipping into oblivion.
Were you there, living at Brian's house, getting him back in shape to end up writing music, and touring again? How do you think that happened? Check out the "before and after" pics of Brian in the book starting with page 9 where Brian was at 312+ pounds and then on page 33 and 83 when the diligent work and care that went into bringing Brian back
got him back down to under 200.
Have a look at the book before you relegate it to the scrap heap. You may be pleasantly surprised.
You may not, but contempt prior to investigation seems a shallow way to go.
As for letting Rocky back on the site. That's above my pay grade.

Ron

This is a good time to address the Steve Love thing and the embezzlement charges levied against him which I would like everyone to be aware of going forward.
I've seen the court docs. He was exonerated.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 05:50:47 PM »

Ron
With all due respect(to you), there isn't a chance in hell of him ever being allowed back bere. He was permanently banned from this board, with good reason. You might want to take a look through his posting history to get an idea of why he's not welcome here.

Agreed

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23627.msg568651.html#msg568651

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 12:20:32 AM »

Ron,

Since you didn't reply to my earlier questions, I'll ask 'em again and add a few more:

1. The book went from 35 chapters (the titles of which Rocky originally posted on this board) to 28. Does the text in the current book bear much resemblance to the excerpts Mr. Pamplin posted here around three years ago, or was the book partially or completely reworked?

2. At one point Rocky described the book as the autobiography of his friend Steve Love. Would you still characterize it as such? What was Steve Love's level involvement in the book?

3. In his posts of roughly three years ago, Rocky often cast Mike and Stan Love in a negative light, but I see that Stan contributed pics to the book, and Ian says Mike was cast only in a positive light. How do you account for this change? Other than the pictures contributed by Stan, were either he or Mike involved in determining the content of the book?

4. Moderators, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's OK for Ron to post info Rocky told him about the book (eg, "Concerning the book, Rocky told me blah blah blah") as long as Ron does not act as a conduit for Mr. Pamplin to engage in back and forth conversation with members of the board.

5. Ron, I'm assuming you have read Rocky's posts in Rocky Pamplin Book About the Beach Boys? and Is Steve Love a Credible Source? and are thus well aware of the fact that your writing style is completely different from Mr. Pamplin's. Due to a number of his past actions (involving Carl, Dennis, and Marilyn), Rocky received justifiable criticism from members of this board, but he frequently responded with rather juvenile sounding posts and name calling - certainly a poor course of action for someone dealing with people to whom he is hoping to sell his book. How would you characterize Mr. Pamplin's demeanor and personality in your dealings with him?

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 04:36:06 AM »

Custom Machine - a well-written post.  I think you've asked legit questions.  In response to Ron having suggested that I read the book before judging it, my answer is this.  If the book has anything to do with Rocky's version of Beach Boys history, in which Rocky is a self-proclaimed hero and savior of Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys, and the universe in general, I decline the offer.  It sickens me, after having read Rocky's crap on this board a few years ago, to think that there are people who may actually BELIEVE him after reading a book that had his input.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 09:11:25 AM »

I'll ask my question again, to Ron:

Unless I'm not remembering this correctly (and I can go back to find some of the quotes time-permitting), when Rocky was posting here and teasing the forthcoming book a few years ago, some posters were asking for more details about Mike's songwriting credit lawsuit in the early 90's. I could have sworn there were mentions made of this topic that would be discussed in the book to come, and we'd have to read it for more info.

So now the book has come out, and the lawsuit issues seem to have been chopped out of the final version. If I'm remembering correctly, why was this topic mentioned and teased (whether by Stan or Rocky or whoever else is/was connected) when it's not a part of the book?

What happened in the interim?

And a postscript, I find it both ironic and comical that it seems some were trying a preemptive move to discredit Rocky and/or Stan perhaps because of concerns with the portrayal of Mike based on comments from Stan and Rocky (and Steve), yet the book itself seems to be complimentary of Mike, if anything. Just wondering if those who were launching the preemptive strikes would now backpedal and embrace some of the positive portrayals or if they would stand behind their earlier attempts to discredit Rocky-Stan-Steve and any writings or commentary from them regarding Mike Love.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 09:15:30 AM »

Let's get Rocky back on the board to answer all these, and other pressing questions!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »

And loose all credibility in a banning to promote a dubious book? No need for any further discussion really is there.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:33:55 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 12:44:15 PM »

Ron, were you a Beach Boys fan before working on the project? What did you see in that thread about the book that made you want to get involved?

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx