gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:00:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barney's Mando-Guitar  (Read 1148 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2018, 06:33:13 AM »

Hey everyone - regarding Barney Kessel's now-famous Gibson mando-guitar - which we've now pretty much definitively concluded was used for the opening notes of "Wouldn't It Be Nice"...

There's the photo from the Pet Sounds sessions box set where Barney is seen cradling the instrument at some session (not necessarily a BW/Beach Boys session, and most likely not)...but I could swear someone posted an alternate shot of the thing where we can see either a pickup or a jack plug at the bottom of the body...I tried the search engine here, with no luck. Am I imagining that, or is there such a photo?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 08:56:46 AM »

Hey everyone - regarding Barney Kessel's now-famous Gibson mando-guitar - which we've now pretty much definitively concluded was used for the opening notes of "Wouldn't It Be Nice"...

There's the photo from the Pet Sounds sessions box set where Barney is seen cradling the instrument at some session (not necessarily a BW/Beach Boys session, and most likely not)...but I could swear someone posted an alternate shot of the thing where we can see either a pickup or a jack plug at the bottom of the body...I tried the search engine here, with no luck. Am I imagining that, or is there such a photo?

C-Man: To the best of my knowledge no such alternate photo from that same day exists, at least I haven't seen it and a few of us here like my friend "H" spent a lot of time and correspondence trying to crack this case!  Cheesy I hope I'm wrong and there is a photo. You may have seen some photo manipulations and closeups of that same PS box photo, I know I did a few photoshops of it to try getting the details. I agree...despite what some opinions have pegged that photo to the actual WIBN session, I do not think it is. And the instrument in that photo is close-mic'ed as you can see the boom stand in the foreground. More on that...

However...you beat me to the punch in terms of this topic, and I was getting a post together as you posted yours.

Some VERY VERY interesting developments regarding this instrument happened within the day and I'll post the results shortly.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx