gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:07:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds-ish Songs by Brian & Other BBs  (Read 1742 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2018, 12:03:23 AM »

On song of the week thread at PSF, I said:
I don't concur with the view that Til' I Die is the last truly great song penned by Brian (there are still Sail On Sailor, Still I Dream of It, Love and Mercy & Midnight's Another Day to come), but I think it's the last truly phenomenal, "special" song by Brian. This was the last time Brian did what he did on Pet Sounds IMO.
Come to think of it, I realized there were a bunch of songs that shared, or tried to recapture the introspective atmosphere of Pet Sounds, either before and after 1966, and even after Til' I Die had been written around 1969. I compiled a playlist of such songs:

1. The Lonely Sea
2. In My Room
3. The Warmth of the Sun
4. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)

These four songs could've easily been on PS hadn't they included on previous albums, just like I'm Waiting for the Day.

5. Please Let Me Wonder
6. I'm So Young
7. Kiss Me, Baby
8. She Knows Me Too Well
9. In the Back of My Mind

Side Two of Today! is pre-PS in terms of either the lyrics and the music. It's much simpler, but the introspective vibe is pretty much on the same level.

10. Guess I'm Dumb
11. Let Him Run Wild
12. The Little Girl I Once Knew

They are PS songs - the only difference is they're not on PS.

13. All I Wanna Do
14. 'Til I Die

These two songs from late 60's are, in my opinion, probably the last time where Brian successfully managed to recapture the vibe of PS.

15. Had To Phone Ya

This is apparently a remake of PS outtake Trombone Dixie.

16. The Night Was So Young
17. I'll Bet He's Nice
18. Let's Put Our Hearts Together

Some consider Love You as Pet Sounds of 1970's; I'm afraid it's not. Rather, it's a fruit of what Brian had done on songs like "Busy Doin' Nothin'" "Games Two Can Play", "Funky Pretty" and Mt. Vernon, as well as a large part of The Bedroom Tapes. Still, this trilogy, whose lyrics can be interpreted to be personal, has a bit in common with PS.

19. Sherry She Needs Me

A lost song that could've worked similarly as Let Him Run Wild on Summer Days, thankfully revisited by Brian here.

20. My Diane
21. It's Over Now
22. Still I Dream of It

Pretty much the same as Love You.

23. Melt Away
24. Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long

If "Rio Grande" is Brian's attempt at recreating SMiLE, these two are his attempt at recreating PS. Particularly the later is considered a reference to "Caroline, No".

25. It's Not Easy Being Me

"Pet Sounds" Brian is clearly back here, with a little bit more self-pity. Too bad it's still left in the vaults.

26. Midnight's Another Day
27. Going Home
28. Southern California

29. From There To Back Again
30. Pacific Coast Highway
31. Summer's Gone

These two set of songs from Brian's resent albums are, to me, Brian's another attempt at recapturing the vibe of PS, in other words, "introspective" Brian that many of his fans adore. The result varied IMO - The former is a major success musically, whereas the latter falls short (I know it's an extremely unpopular opinion, but I've been reluctant about them - I honestly prefer Runaway D...ah, never mind   Sad )

Anyway, my questions here are:

1) Do you think the playlist above works for people who likes only Pet Sounds so far?
2) What songs do you consider that they share the same atmosphere/feeling as Pet Sounds? Are there any I'm missing or I mistakenly included?
3) Are there any non-BW composition that succeeded in recapturing the vibe?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:29:20 AM by Watamushi(Polly Poller) » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 12:25:06 AM »

"You're Still A Mystery" has a definite Pet Sounds vibe - the Leslie'd lead guitar, the chord changes, etc.

And from Denny - "Tug Of Love (Feel The Pull)" - bass harmonica, tympani, eerie sounds.

And from Any Paley (with Brian on backing vocals) - "In My Moondreams" - 6-string bass guitar and all. And, it's in Mono!
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »

This would be a great playlist or Brian Wilson "greatest hits"

I might add, I went to sleep, Time to get alone, Sail on Sailor, Busy Doin' Nothing
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:47:32 PM »

Denny's "Be With Me" would definitely qualify.

I could actually see that song as being on the album Pet Sounds.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 12:47:02 AM »

To me, Our Sweet Love has always felt like an attempt to recapture the magic of God Only Knows.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 12:06:21 AM »

To me, Our Sweet Love has always felt like an attempt to recapture the magic of God Only Knows.

The keyboard part especially.

Good ear.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx