gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:41:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Al show in NYC just announced  (Read 2130 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:52:02 AM »

Thursday February 7th at the Iridium, near Times Square. I've never been there, but see that it's a small venue next door to the Famous StarDust diner. Walked past it many times. I went on line to view seating, but there doesn't appear to be a link that allows you to pick a seat, just a dollar amount, starting at GA for $85. There's Preferred seating at $95 and Front and Center at $125. Anybody ever seen a show there, and is this normal? If so how do you know where your seat is?
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 07:38:50 AM »

I haven’t been to Iridium but have heard a lot about it. It opened in 1994. Starting the next year, Les Paul played a regular weekly gig at the place almost without interruption until his death in 2009. You could often find some of the most famous guitarists on the planet jamming with him.

It’s surprising to hear Al’s playing there because it’s primarily a jazz club, leaning a bit toward the fusion end of the music. It has a capacity of 180 and like most jazz venues on the East Coast is a sit-down place so tickets for front and center would mean tables in that area.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:05:33 AM »

It’s surprising to hear Al’s playing there because it’s primarily a jazz club, leaning a bit toward the fusion end of the music. It has a capacity of 180 and like most jazz venues on the East Coast is a sit-down place so tickets for front and center would mean tables in that area.

That's the type of venue where he played in Minneapolis, too: the Dakota is primarily a jazz club. A couple hundred people tops, tables, etc. I think maybe that's the sort of venue he (or whoever does the booking) thinks is most appropriate. He probably can't sell out the theaters like he plays with Brian's band, and he and his audience don't really fit in the smaller (dirtier, standing-room only) kinds of bars/clubs that younger rock bands play.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:42:51 AM »

Sounds like a great venue for Al; I was curious about the seating and views. I'll be coming alone(my wife has zero interest, especially on a Thursday night) so wasn't sure  seating at a table, vs. separate seating, might be the way to go.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »

Great to see Al is coming back to NY! The Iridium is a lovely intimate club though the pricing is quite aggressive.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 05:46:28 AM »

Yeah it seems like it's priced pretty expensively for an All concert. My fear is this is not going to generate enough ticket sales based on the price of the tickets and it may end up getting cancelled. Hope not but I would have thought tickets would have been a little cheaper
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx