gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:45:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love is in the white house  (Read 13110 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:10:42 AM »

Anybody just see that?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:17:12 AM »

Yep.

https://www.stereogum.com/2018351/kanye-west-kid-rock-donald-trump-music-modernization-act/video/

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »

Seems he spoke, must watch later  LOL

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 09:25:07 AM »

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter to Mike's right...and is that Carlos Santana to Trump's left?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 09:26:15 AM »

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter to Mike's right...and is that Carlos Santana to Trump's left?

...or Father Guido Sarducci?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 09:35:49 AM »

Asshole Central... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »

...or Father Guido Sarducci?

Kid Rock

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »

Some background, please correct if anything is incorrect: The bill being signed addressed copyright and royalty payment issues with a focus on "legacy" artists and the 50-year copyright provisions. I'm thinking it would also affect the way royalties and shares are calculated and how the Beach Boys' "copyright extension" releases which we've been seeing at every 50-year mark get translated into payment for the artists.

Sirius XM was one of the main voices against this bill. A list of major artists who supported it had been published as they all signed some petition of support. The bill passed unanimously in the US House, and the Senate confirmed it. Now it's signed.

It's rather confusing, and I've read through the details multiple times and am still not exactly sure what the actions will be in the wake of this becoming law...but it seeks to update the way artists/writers/creators are compensated for the use and broadcast of their work. As soon as streaming and satellite services entered the game, the way publishers and rights organizations would tabulate "plays" became obsolete, as many guidelines were literally using a standard that existed 40+ years ago, and still used terms like "needle drop" and surveys to calculate how many times a certain record was played and therefore how much compensation the artists are due for those plays and pays.

The bill has Orrin Hatch's name attached as a courtesy since he is set to retire - In other words, symbolic gestures rather than Sen. Hatch actually being the driving force behind a music-driven bill. As far as I know.

But in terms of a bill that sought to get artists a more fair compensation in the modern streaming and digital age, it seems to be a good thing. The public photo-op seen today is just that - The current administration seems to have gathered some of their friends in the music biz for this ceremony. I don't know. But these events are and always were photo-ops and nothing more.

If this gets songwriters, performers, and artists of any kind who created works that are being used and broadcast (digitally or otherwise) for profit more of a fair shake in terms of compensation for using someone's work for profit, it seems to be a good thing.

I never understood why writers and performers who created a work should be so poorly compensated when someone like Sirius XM makes billions on subscriptions and advertising on the backs of those works. But that's me and my 2 cents.

If Mike delivered a speech today I'm curious to hear what he said too, and if he gets in any plugs for his latest projects.  LOL

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »

Father Guido Sarducci!  LOL  "Find-a da Pope in-a da pizza"

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 09:44:53 AM »

Philly’s favorite priest! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »

And now Mike is trending on twitter   LOL

I'm reading he spoke about Trump trying to save Whitney Houstons life or something

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »

Facepalm...

D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »

Interesting trade-off.

The artist should make money.  Sirius XM should make money.

The artist owns the art.  You can say that Sirius XM "uses" the art to make money.
But you also can say Sirius acts as an arm of the artist...promoting the art. And
should be paid.

Sirius always wants more money.  Mike Love always wants more money.  It's a grand world.

I hold shares in Sirius, and Mike Love is a lousy singer. 

So you know where I stand. 
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 10:33:05 AM »

FYI for the video embedded at the bottom of that article, you need to skip ahead 30 minutes before the actual video starts. Mike Love comes on at 44:15. 
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »

Facepalm...

+1

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »

It's times like this when I have a problem with Mike representing The Beach Boys, because ultimately him not just being there but also making a speech gets it to look like the whole Beach Boys family supports Trump, even though Carl and Dennis are dead, and Al and Brian are impartial. A sh*t ton of controversy, that regardless of what people's politics are, drags The Beach Boys family through the mud so Mike can get his time in the spotlight.

Consider that guitarist Johnny Ramone was known as one of Punk's few conservatives, imagine him representing the other 3 Ramones members for something like this, I don't think they'd have been to happy about that, especially Joey.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 10:46:41 AM »

Interesting trade-off.

The artist should make money.  Sirius XM should make money.

The artist owns the art.  You can say that Sirius XM "uses" the art to make money.
But you also can say Sirius acts as an arm of the artist...promoting the art. And
should be paid.

Sirius always wants more money.  Mike Love always wants more money.  It's a grand world.

I hold shares in Sirius, and Mike Love is a lousy singer. 

So you know where I stand. 

Ahh, a debate brewing!  Grin

Mike is just there as I mentioned, for the photo-op consisting of musicians friendly with the current White House. He has little or nothing to do with the actual bill and all the procedures that went down leading up to this. Typical DC photo-op.

But Sirius XM...Their opposition to this really sends up a red flag. Why exactly is Sirius opposed to this? As in, what specifics are there in this legislation that would hurt Sirius enough to be so vocally opposed to it?

It comes down to money. As 99.9999999% of everything does.

If Sirius has entire channels dedicated to "legacy" artists, such as the Beatles, Beach Boys, etc...now or in the future, and the previous 50-year copyright standards would allow them to play the legacy artists' songs and creations while charging users a fee to listen, and the 50-year loophole somehow removed potentially millions of dollars in royalties and license/play fees from those artists...is that a fair deal for the artists?

I know this is a ridiculous and absurd comparison, but here it goes. I'm going to go to a high-end restaurant and ask them to provide enough food to cater a 100 person event. If the bill comes to, say, $4,000...I will give them 40 bucks for the spread, and that's it. I will put it in my own banquet hall, charge 100 ticketed guests 50 bucks a ticket to have a meal with the catered food.

I'm providing promotion for the restaurant, right? They should be satisfied that I'm paying them a 1% fee for the use of their food and the promotion that the event will give their products.

In the meantime, I'm making $5,000 in tickets and I feel good that I gave the makers and "owners" of those recipes and those meal items a 1% share.

Most artists get less than 1% whenever a song is streamed or downloaded online. In the old iTunes figures, if someone bought a single song for 99 cents, the artist would get a penny or less from it. Some don't even get that. When a streaming subscription would stream songs all day, the ways in which the individual artists would get compensated was antiquated beyond belief.

The difference is no restaurant in their right mind would agree to such a deal. $40 bucks on 4 grand worth of food, a 1% split, while the person who runs the paid-ticketed event and has the hall to host it makes $4,960 in cold profit based on selling a restaurant's food for less than the restaurant would be able to sell it or would agree to sell it.

The restaurant has that choice. The artists often do not.

Not sure what exactly this law will do, but the situation is a bit unfair, don't you think?

D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 11:36:21 AM »

GF-2... I love it.  Although I am now picturing Al Jardine as one of the waiters.

All good cheer. The end of my post was meant to be somewhat cynical/comical.  There is that
frustration of wanting Brian to get his paycheck from Sirius...Mike not so much.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »

The last Fear 2 Stop album we put out had about half a million streams. After the costs of digital distribution after a year I made a profit of about $13.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObIPOnmRZqs
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »

And now Mike is trending on twitter   LOL

I'm reading he spoke about Trump trying to save Whitney Houstons life or something

Reading a few news stories it seems possible however there were probably dozens of others trying to do the same. Everyone knew she was in bad shape and hoped she would get her life sorted. Tragically it was not to be.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 02:14:54 PM »

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 02:34:58 PM »

Trump and his merry band of privileged white men.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 03:43:21 PM »

Trump and his merry band of privileged white men.

Like Sam Moore of Sam and Dave?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 04:36:55 PM »

Asshole Central... Roll Eyes

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx