gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:46:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson Songs in the ASCAP Database  (Read 909 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2018, 06:21:43 PM »

Per Rob (Custom Machine)'s sleuthing, we have this link:

https://www.ascap.com/repertory#ace/writer/46471283/WILSON%20DENNIS%20C

Of the 98 titles (including some duplicates) listed with "Dennis C. Wilson" as composer or co-composer (and not counting a few that are definitely not by "our" Dennis C. Wilson - see thread for "Standard Lie Number One" on this board) - we have the following of particular interest:

BLACK HOLE OPENING SCENE - other writers are Atticus Ross, Leopold Lincoln Fitzgerald Ross, Roger Christian, Carl Wilson, and Mike Love
This is the opening montage from the "Love & Mercy" soundtrack (but notice there is no credit for Brian Wilson, or Al Jardine!)

CALIFORNIA FEELIN' DNU (sic) - listed as a Dennis Wilson-Stephen Kalinich composition (so, is it possible that DW also wrote music for Stevie's poetry piece, which was rejected in favor of BW's music for the same lyrics?)

I WANNA LIVE - DW/Kalinich - unknown to me

SLIP ON THROUGH - with Gregg Jakobson listed as cowriter (his name is missing from the original LP credits, but I think he is listed on some later CD reissues of Sunflower)

CARL'S SONG - known to be that '75-era instrumental track of Carl's, one or two musical parts of which were later reworked as "Angel Come Home" - but listed here as a DW, rather than a CW, composition

10,000 YEARS - listed as a cowrite with Mike Love (back in the late '70s or early '80s, Al Jardine had related the story that Mike wrote the song, then Dennis added ideas to it and cut an instrumental track - which we know from boots - but Mike didn't like the track and apparently rejected those additions when doing his own version)

MILLER DRIVE - the legendary DW/Gerry Beckley collaboration described in various DW biographies

THOUGHTS OF YOU - this one apparently shows up three times - once as simply "Thoughts" with a solo Dennis byline, once with the full title as a Dennis-Jim Dutch cowrite, and once with the full title as a cowrite between Dennis and one James B. Berry Marshall - interestingly, the name James B. Marshall also shows up on the AFM contract for a late 1977 Dennis Wilson recording session (no song title is provided on that contract)

JUST FOR YOU  - Dennis is the sole composer listed, and from the publishing credits (Dennis Wilson Music and Omniphonic Sounds), we can be certain it is "our" DW - man, I wish this database provided copyright dates, but it doesn't!

KAREN'S SONG - likewise

LONG ROAD - likewise

GOD LET ME OUT OF HERE - a variation of this title ("LORD Let Me Out Of Here") will be familiar to readers of my Bambu essay at beachboysarchives.com - it is a reworking of "Album Tag Song" recorded with members of The Load, and later overdubbed at Kaye-Smith in Seattle

And a couple of heretofore unheard of collaborations with Daryl Dragon:

BEFORE
HAWAII SONG

Plus all the other DW/Daryl Dragon and DW/Stephen Kalinich titles many of us are familiar with. Of further interest is that both "Make It Good" and "Cuddle Up" are credited to DW and CARMEN Dragon (Daryl's dad), rather than to DW and Daryl - although "Make It Good" does appear again with the proper Dragon credited.         
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:32:54 PM by c-man » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx