gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:08:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al in Oakland  (Read 2791 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2018, 08:03:00 AM »

Anyone else planning on seeing Al's show at Yoshi's on Sunday (10/7)? Haven't seen any mention about it on this board.

RadiantRadish6
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »

I'll be there! Cheesy
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »

There's a thread here for Al's tour:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25616.0.html

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 07:25:17 PM »

Thanks, didn't realize that ... and see you there Radish

baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 01:24:23 PM »

Looking over on setlist.fm i saw Al did Surf’s Up! Knowing how inaccurate that can be i did some research and several Facebook posts about the show confirmed it! Would love to hear how that sounded.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 06:28:11 PM »

Looking over on setlist.fm i saw Al did Surf’s Up! Knowing how inaccurate that can be i did some research and several Facebook posts about the show confirmed it! Would love to hear how that sounded.

Wow, too cool!  Smiley

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »

Yep he did -- Al played stand up bass and Matt J sang the lead. Al also played the same bass on "God Only Knows". Al is an underrated musician -- he did the surf solos too. Also played a Gibson 335-12.

"Surf's Up" was a bit of a surprise ... it sounded cool. I'll try to post a very short clip tomorrow (no video allowed but I snuck a couple bits here and there).

"Vegetables" and "Santa Ana Winds" were the only other rarities.

I met Al after and asked him why no "Lookin At Tomorrow", and he became quite serious and said "It's too depressing ..."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 09:36:24 PM »

Yep he did -- Al played stand up bass and Matt J sang the lead. Al also played the same bass on "God Only Knows". Al is an underrated musician -- he did the surf solos too. Also played a Gibson 335-12.

"Surf's Up" was a bit of a surprise ... it sounded cool. I'll try to post a very short clip tomorrow (no video allowed but I snuck a couple bits here and there).

"Vegetables" and "Santa Ana Winds" were the only other rarities.

I met Al after and asked him why no "Lookin At Tomorrow", and he became quite serious and said "It's too depressing ..."

Al can cut loose on guitar! His bass work in the sessionography is very impressive, some classic tunes where Al was in the bass chair that most non-hardcore fans wouldn't have guessed. And yes, he is underrated primarily due to his role in the band. He never showed off, and when he did or does with a few leads, it always surprises people because for decades he was never in that role.

You should have asked him if he ever had to get the headstock on that 335-12 repaired.  Grin 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »

Al was a very good bass player, but every time I can hear his guitar audibly I'm surprised at how good he is. Not for nothing, but he really is the Beach Boys's secret weapon over their career

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 06:48:52 AM »

"Too depressing", that's pretty funny. He did it at the NYC show in April and it went over well. It's like a two-minute song!   LOL

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »

"Too depressing", that's pretty funny. He did it at the NYC show in April and it went over well. It's like a two-minute song!   LOL

He seemed quite serious, and honestly his response made me feel a bit awkward. He seemed like he was trying to say something else but didn't finish, like "It's too depressing ... it doesn't fit --" ... I was thinking maybe it doesn't fit with the "Postcard from California" concept for this set of shows maybe. I should have asked about "Take a Load Off Your Feet" instead ha.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 06:40:48 PM »

Can someone pick me up? I live in Dallas!   LOL

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx