gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:45:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: swdstudyvideos.com (suspended)  (Read 41954 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »

Forgive me if I get any of this wrong because I actually don't have access to this exchange at the moment.

But I have been chatting with Mr. Desper and he makes the very good point that because of the nature of his project (namely, using Beach Boys tracks as courtesy of BRI and Capitol) that he worries that any controversy about it could have it shut down. I think that's the main reason why he has taken the videos down. In that respect, no matter where any of us stand on the topic, I believe that it be best for all of us if we just put this particular controversy and this element of the conversation to rest and - this is definitely my own point - that includes the pointing of fingers about who was right and who was wrong in this discussion. Again, I think that the best thing for all parties is to let it go. Please forgive the Disney reference as I have young daughter.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:01:56 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
MsBecca
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »

Disregard this
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:32:20 AM by ChewBecca » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2018, 05:57:45 PM »

"Barker" deletes post
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:31:31 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MsBecca
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2018, 06:43:41 PM »

Go Broncos
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:31:53 AM by ChewBecca » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »

I do not know if I misread it
Well I do know you misread it. I don't remember telling anybody what to post. I'm apathetic to be that way. I just said what I see & brought mere suggestions. There's nothing to it. Edit: As I said in previous page somewhere, I'm neutral to this issue. I liked study videos, as I said too, & I don't care who sings it. Carl or Blondie, to me it sounded like the latter but so what? It doesn't matter. That you singled out me of ALL posters at Smiley is quite weird.
I see several in this same thread! I These suggestions are coming off like barking orders

Please check your PMs

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »

COMMENT to friends:

There seems to be some mis-information being posted about my book (part two) that I hope to correct with the following details:

Today I find myself thrust into a speculative scandal, created by a few Beach Boy fans and fuelled by today’s adversarial atmosphere.

It all started with the release of RECORDING THE BEACH BOYS part two, last week. Since then, all effort from 1998 of collecting my engineering techniques used on this album and other memories from those times has all fallen into the shadows, replaced by a spotlight focused on one bonus track at the end of the book.

That track in question comes from a cassette I made in late 1971 in Brian’s House Studio. I was chief engineer when I gathered some multi-track tapes (of songs in production at the time) I wished to mix in a cappella. I mixed the vocals directly to a high-end cassette for my own enjoyment. All the songs listed on the cassette were released around 1971, except Sail On, Sailor (SOS), which was released in ‘73.

In all innocence and without any intention of causing confrontation, I thought the fans would like to hear SOS with Carl singing the lead. Since I had an a cappella mix of SOS on this cassette, from a 1971 mix I did myself, using a vocal track I recorded myself, I decided to put the track into my book and labeled it for what it was, Carl’s lead for SOS.

I’ve had the cassette since I closed the House Studio of Brian’s in late ’71. I'm looking at this cassette right now. The song list is by my hand, but the handwriting on the holder’s spine and the cassette itself is by an assistant, whose handwriting I recognize (it's rather distinct). He spells A Capella with one “p” and a capital “A.” No big deal except that he moved to Mexico in 1971, died soon thereafter, so that confirms the date of the cassette for me.

Some years ago I loaned this cassette to Brother Records, Inc. (BRI) who copied a few of the a cappella tracks for release on a Beach Boy Box Set. Nothing was said about SOS when they returned the cassette.

I digitized the cassette track and it was edited into the book. After one day on the Internet, all hell broke loose. All of a sudden I was defending my ability to identify Blondie from Carl. To prove it was Blondie some inquiring and cleaver fans had taken the a cappello mix to a place I never envisioned. Using a computer they compared the a cappella version with the released version and found that they were in sync – or the same track – proving my track was mislabeled and the singer was mis-identified.

My understanding from looking at interviews is that Blondie and Rickie and the Beach Boys all say that after returning from Holland, SOS or at least Blondie’s lead, was recorded at Village Recorders around ‘73.  The dates they say it was recorded were after I closed the House Studio. The cassette in my hand was in my possession before it is said SOS was recorded. So how could that be?

I found a reference to Brian's Bedroom tapes on the Internet. The reference says that five fans heard a demo of SOS with Carl in the '70s, but now the tape has disappeared. So can't be substantiated.

There is evidently no record of the house studio 70’-’71 version of SOS with Carl singing lead, that is, no ruff mixes were made, except for the one I have. It seems the official recording of SOS began in ‘73.

In an interview Blondie said that Carl tried the lead, but thought Blondie could do better so let him record it. It is written as montage -- as if this happened over a few minutes time. That may be a writer’s license, but back in the real world I know for a fact that in early ‘71 Carl's lead was kept on the song's multi-track for months and was there when I left the BB organization in late '71. That is around the time I made the cassette. And that is why I still contend it is Carl singing.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone over this. I have no doubt that Blondie is singing on the album release, but I also have no doubt that Carl is singing on my cassette. I’ve heard them both sing SOS live. Both nailed it. Blondie is fabulous in concert. What puzzles me is that the dates don't match yet the tracks do. It would not be possible for me to have this recording if SOS had been recorded at Village Studios in 72-3. I was long-gone by then.

What we have here is a visit to the Twilight Zone. Another Rock & Roll mystery that until understood, will always be an enigma. Mysteries are fun.

I intend to listen and enjoy Sail On, Sailor just as I always have. I have memories of both men singing SOS that I can attach to what I hear.

I have suspended the publication of my book until further notice so I can make it more about recording technique and less about recording timelines. But when the book eventually is made available, I hope each of you will avail yourselves of a perusal. Thanks for reading this.

Good Listening ~ Stephen W. Desper

P.S. Contrary to the opinion of some folks, I can tell the difference between each Beach Boy’s vocal signature, between a violin and a viola, a standup bass and a bass guitar. That’s what 20,000 hours of time in the studio with them and mixing 1000’s of concerts of them will do for the ability to recognize voices. At 76 I can still hear 10k and walk my Dalmatian two miles a day. My health is good and I’m currently designing a unique piece of studio gear. I intend to bring it to market soon -- it will blow people’s minds.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 04:12:34 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »

Stephen, thank you for posting your comments and for taking the time to explain the situation at hand. Speaking for myself, but certainly many of not all fans reading this feel the same way, we are all extremely grateful that you shared your time and your many fascinating details and audio with us. We appreciate all of this very much and look forward to whatever you have to share and present in the future. Thank you. Everything is as usual both enjoyable and educational.

That said, would you consider perhaps reposting your latest "part 2" with the bonus track in question at the end edited out? I was fortunate enough to see it, but for those fans who did not, perhaps an edited version would be made available in the meantime?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2018, 05:06:40 PM »

And this is where we find ourselves after an ass or two presume to look a gift horse in the mouth? Huh  Thanks for weighing back in Stephen.  And, as always, thanks for adding some music to our day{s}. Cool Guy

MOST of us sincerely appreciate it.  ALL of it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:09:01 PM by Lee Marshall » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2018, 06:15:52 PM »

Stephen, thanks so much!  Besides the eventual return of Part Two, I'll be most interested to learn of this unique new studio gear you're working on - best of luck in that endeavor!

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2018, 06:37:02 PM »

There is a very obvious and glaring response to this, I have pm'd it to a person I have utmost respect for.
Thanks again for all the great work you have done and continue to do Stephen, I regret making my initial observation and the subsequent sh*t storm that followed.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
WyattFunderburk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2018, 07:03:26 PM »

You are a treasure, Mr. Desper.  I'm glad to know you.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2018, 07:19:56 PM »

Yes, exactly, you are a treasure Steve. You posses fantastic recall and attention to detail, much better than mine and I'm 5 years younger than you. Keep on keeping on and glad to hear that you're keeping yourself it good shape. Not only are you incredibly talented in what you do , but the fact that YOU WERE THERE is something I, and I hope others will keenly respect forever. DLTBGYD!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »

The truth is, if there were fairness in this world, Mr. Desper would be as well-known and universally respected as Geoff Emerick. Truth.

I cannot wait to see the latest Study Video when it is re-uploaded (crossing fingers!)

Tue story: Prior to it being taken down, I had already made plans to watch the video with a dear out-of-town friend (who is a fellow BBs fanatic of the '67-'73 era) who's coming into town to visit (we had planned to watch the latest study video this coming weekend together).  

I'm sure I speak for many, many others when I say how grateful I am for Stephen contributing his time and efforts to make them.
It's literally the best stuff on Earth. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:47:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2018, 10:37:49 PM »

I have a question for Mr. Desper, if I may. On the Carl Wilson version of SOS, does anything other than his vocal track exist? Any dialogue in between, etc

On a different subject, your version of A Day In The Life of A Tree as heard in your study video is incredible. Starting from the "Oh lord, I lay me down" lyric until the fade out is one of the most heavenly things I've ever heard in my life.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MsBecca
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2018, 11:57:41 PM »

I have a question for Mr. Desper, if I may. On the Carl Wilson version of SOS, does anything other than his vocal track exist? Any dialogue in between, etc

Ooh that brings me to quite a question: the version that Carl sang, how different did the backing track sound? The tempo sounded the same like instrumental track released on Hawthorne CA set so I imagine it sounded somewhat similar, but I am oh so curious. And apologies if you have answered this in the past but did you ever hear the cassette tape demo with Van Dyke Parks with Brian singing? That is one think I would have loved to have heard!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2018, 09:41:44 AM »

On a different subject, your version of A Day In The Life of A Tree as heard in your study video is incredible. Starting from the "Oh lord, I lay me down" lyric until the fade out is one of the most heavenly things I've ever heard in my life.

This. Most decidedly and emphatically, this.  Cheesy
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »

Thank you, Mr. Desper. As someone late to this party (if that is what to call it), where can I find the SOS track in question? I’m a fan of the band and would be curious to hear it. I am NOT curious in debating who is singing lead!
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »

Thank you for taking the time Mr Desper. That was a very eloquent rebuttal ...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »

COMMENT:

Thanks to all.   I found these three articles on the Internet. Not much there, but at least someone has heard Carl sing SOS and thought it good.

For what it's worth . . .

Steel Guitar Magazine   
   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author   Topic:   Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys
Chuck S. LettesMemberFrom: Denver, Colorado     posted 08 October 2001 09:25 AM     profile      I've read some posts by Steel Guitar Forum members about the Beach Boys, so here's my own two cents. Carl Wilson, the "heart" of the group, was a featured singer (God Only Knows, This Whole World) who loved performing and creating that tight Beach Boy sound. He was the quiet, dedicated one who always made the shows happen. There's a nice "never published" interview with Carl in this month's Guitar One Magazine. Also listed in the article is a website: www.carlwilsonfoundation.org Carl was one of my favorites, and I miss him. Any other people out there with some thoughts about Carl?Chuck
Rich WeissMemberFrom: Woodland Hills, CA, USA     posted 08 October 2001 03:20 PM     profile      Carl was a true gentleman. The first session I ever did on steel was for Carl. He was producing a friend of mine, back in 1973. I remember that he let me sit in his seat to listen to the playback. I'm sure I was way out of tune, I'd only been playing a couple of years, but he was kind and encouraging and never told me if I was. A great guy.
Jason StillwellMemberFrom: Soper, OK, USA     posted 08 October 2001 07:25 PM     profile      I just bought that Guitar One magazine last week. Of all the Beach Boys literature I've read over the past 14 years, it was the first info I've ever been able to find concerning Carl's guitar work. Did any of you ever get the chance to hear him sing "Sail On, Sailor"? Exquisite! When I saw the guys in Tulsa, 1996, I was about 6 rows back on Carl's side of the stage. When they broke into Sailor, I didn't know who would sing. I'd never heard the Boys perform this in concert, though Billy Hinsche had been known to sing the song now and then. Carl Dean broke into the lead vocal, and I don't think the Beach Boys and/or Carl have ever recorded anything comparable to what I heard that October night at the State Fair. One of the saddest days of my life was when I heard of Carl's passing. I never got to meet him, and it will go down in my life's history as one of those "what-if's" that never happened.--js

Discover ideas about Carl Wilson
The Beach Boys - Sail on Sailor live 1995 Yay-Carl sings it this time!
Carl WilsonThe Beach BoysSailorBbSinging
More information

Saved by
Sharon Beach Garrison

·   Home
·   News
·   Mini-Reviews
·   Artists
·   Grammys
·   Reviews
·   Pop Rock Nation Team
·   Contact Us!
Beach Boys’ Made in California Drops Tomorrow
Previous Next
Beach Boys’ Made in California Drops Tomorrow
A long overdue boxset hits shelves and digital download spots tomorrow when The Beach Boys’ Made in California drops.
And about that essay, which is in The Grammy museum exhibit about The Beach Boys.  Young Brian wrote “My Philosophy”, which included this classic line, “I don’t want to settle for a mediocre life, but make a name for myself in my life’s work, which I hope will be music.”
Beach Boys fans will want to hear these tracks first:
·   17 unreleased live tracks, including songs from the 1993 acoustic tour
·   BBC live cuts from 1964 of Wendy and When I Grow Up to be a Man
·   A remixed Rock and Roll Music with new lyrics
·   Covers of Da Doo Ron Ron and You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling
·   Outtakes from Don’t Worry Baby
·   The “lei’d in Hawaii” version of California Girls
Made in California includes several cuts featuring deceased brothers Dennis and Carl Wilson, including a haunting version of Carl singing Sail On, Sailor in 1995.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »

Carl singing the lead from that 96 tour your post referred to Stephen. Privileged to say I heard him sing it live several times. Along with GOKs, a highlight of any Beach Boys concert.

https://youtu.be/dZIqi9UnQH0
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2018, 02:28:46 PM »

Carl singing the lead from that 96 tour your post referred to Stephen. Privileged to say I heard him sing it live several times. Along with GOKs, a highlight of any Beach Boys concert.

Man alive. Carl sounds great there!

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »

Highly disenchanted dissing of Steve at the Hoffman board this afternoon by "Researcher Man" Doe.  Roll Eyes

Slower to apologize than pancake batter.
More girth than a locomotive,
Able to leap rat feces in a single bound!

Look! Down in the dumpster! It's a raccoon, it's a snake, it's Super Researcher!!
Yes, it's Super Researcher, strange being from somewhere around Mars who sadly plumetted to Earth with a solar system sized ego
and self acclaimed powers beyond those of mortal Beach Boys fans.
Super researcher, who can change the course of honest reporting, and bend the truth to his liking.
And who, disguised as someone who was there at every Beach Boy discussion and recording session,
fights a neverending battle for himself, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston and the fake Beach Boys Touring Group.  Evil

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2018, 08:40:33 PM »

Man alive. Carl sounds great there!

Now you could understand Carl sounding like Blondie in this clip from 96, but he doesn't...........

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2018, 08:58:00 PM »

Highly disenchanted dissing of Steve at the Hoffman board this afternoon by "Researcher Man" Doe.  Roll Eyes

Look! Down in the dumpster! It's a raccoon, it's a snake, it's Super Researcher!!
Yes, it's Super Researcher, strange being from somewhere around Mars who sadly plumetted to Earth with a solar system sized ego
Super researcher, who can change the course of honest reporting, and bend the truth to his liking.
And who, disguised as someone who was there at every Beach Boy discussion and recording session,
fights a neverending battle for himself, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston and the fake Beach Boys Touring Group.  Evil

Sigh what did he say this time?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »

What a sad state of affairs!

Stephen Desper has my utmost respect. I unfortunately did not have the chance to listen to any of Part 2 before everything went down this week.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx