gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:39:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: swdstudyvideos.com (suspended)  (Read 42066 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »

COMMENT  (as of October 18, 2018)

I have taken down the entire website until further notice. The reason is that the terms of using the website, as clearly defined on page one, have been violated. By going to page two, the user agrees to the terms of page one.

In those terms the viewer agrees that mistakes or errors may exist, however carefully the contents are checked for accuracy. In a civil discourse a simple statement of disagreement would be sufficient, but the ensuing bullying has become relentless and completely out-of-control. The terms have been violated. As stated, if the terms are violated, I “will personally take down the website.”

My website is (was) provided free of charge to anyone who wishes to avail themselves of its content and who abides by the rules set forth. Some “fans” seem to have forgotten that I pay for the website and for housing all the study-videos on Vimeo. Their response to a statement I made concerning a mix I did of Sail On, Sailor (SOS) has been twisted into a statement I did not make. All my website says is that Carl Wilson sang on the a cappello segment provided. I have never said that Blondie Chaplin did not sing the lead on SOS. In fact I have stated the opposite.

These twisted statements plus other negative comments of some fans are now appearing on other web forums as fact. Such ridicule puts my website in jeopardy since it exists, by way of the Fair Use Doctrine, at the courtesy of BRI and Capitol. These false statements imply that I am questioning the integrity of BRI, which I am not.

It is unfortunate that a few fans have made a mockery of my good name by focusing on one item, thus overshadowing the original intent of my book as a source of engineering technique and Beach Boy memories of 46 years ago.

After taking time away from equipment development, neurological research and my home life, to satisfy the requests from fans to publish the second part of my book, I am sorry that I must now close my website and re-group. I realize this ends access to all the study-videos and books that the majority of fans appreciate, but I cannot let a few belligerent fans endanger the website. Access to the website will remain closed until I determine when it is safe to republish.

Creating equi donati dentes non inspiciuntur !

~Stephen W. Desper  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:15:18 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »

Fantastic! I've watched "Til I Die" and "Surf's Up" segments so far, will definitely watch the new addition in full when I get home and can hook up decent speakers or my studio 'phones.

Amazing sounds and details. Confession...I could listen to "Til I Die" on an endless loop for hours and never tire of it. It was *great* to hear the details of how the sounds were recorded, especially the group vocals.

Amazing.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:07:25 AM »

Finally - some GOOD news!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »

I skipped right ahead to the "Fourth Of July" demo/development - AMAZING!  
EDIT: just saw your note about Kathy Dragon maybe playing the flute - thanks.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:34:15 AM by c-man » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »

Very exciting. I can hardly wait to get home to dig in. Thank you!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 11:59:44 AM »

Wonderful (oops,  wrong album Grin). Thanks, Steve!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 01:58:10 PM »

Thx so much, Stephen. Looking forward to this.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 01:59:32 PM »

Oh my gaaaaaaad.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 03:12:42 PM »

Thank you Mr Desper and Mr Conner!!!!!! Can’t wait to get home and listen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »

Great news!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
zachrwolfe
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:21:10 PM by zatch » Logged
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 06:51:24 PM »

That version of WIBNTLA is revelatory. Thank you for this.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 07:30:15 PM »

Stephen - Absolutely brilliant. Jaw-dropping.

Listening right now to Sail On Sailor a capella. All I can say is wow. A truly terrific track heard in a mind-blowing perspective. Wow.

Just listened to Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again demo. Revelatory indeed. Your comments about this track, had it been handled and released the right way, are spot-on. I think most fans would agree 100% with your opinion.

Every version I've heard, Dennis is singing his heart and soul out on these vocals. It feels like a similar feeling that Brian expressed regarding Pet Sounds, how he had to get this music out of his soul for the people to hear. This is Dennis just baring his soul. Even on this demo, he's going all out. Again...wow.

It still amazes me how this track sat on the shelf for so long.

Imagine this track - not just as a single - but on the album itself, in place of another lesser song. History changer for sure.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 10:36:11 PM »

The mix of "Take Good Care of Your Feet" is amazing. So many little details that I never heard before, or consciously realised were there. This is a good example of how The Beach Boys could be what I call "simplistically complicated". 

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 10:39:20 PM »

Stephen - Thank you so much for posting Recording the Beach Boys Part 2. I've been anxiously awaiting it's appearance in your Desper Study Videos collection, and it was well worth the wait. Thank you again for taking the time and effort to provide fans with this wonderful resource.

I do have a questing regarding "Sail On Sailor a Capella - Carl Wilson Lead Vocal". I hear Blondie Chaplin singing the lead on that one, so are you saying that if one listens carefully Carl's voice can be heard under his, or just that the listener should note how Blondie's phrasing on this track was heavily influenced by Carl's original phrasing?

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 12:00:59 AM »

WIBNTLA sounds majestic, wow!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 12:05:12 AM »

SOS doesn't sound like Carl on lead to my ears.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 04:34:22 AM »

SOS doesn't sound like Carl on lead to my ears.

I agree. Sounds like Blondie to my ears.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 04:42:19 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 05:32:28 AM »

Great news! Thanks Stephen and Mike C.! I'll listen later today when I have time. Can't wait for that
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:33:05 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 06:42:20 AM »

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:44:14 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 07:07:33 AM »

Great stuff Mr. Desper!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 08:44:25 AM »

Thank you so much Mr Desper! You treat us to many wonderful things I never thought I'd hear.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »

I'm through with "Side one" of Surf's Up. Really interesting and fascinating. To hear which sound was recorded by what instrument or item and in which way just makes the whole songs come to life in a different way. Man, you just want to be there and be part of the recording process; it must've been a lot of fun and creativity

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »

Cannot wait to devour these.

Thank you again SO much, Stephen.

Out of curiosity, how much of the BBs' studio catalog had you personally listened to before you started working with them? I wonder how much of a revelation their talent was when you started working with them, or if that was something you already were familiar with.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 01:44:31 PM »

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:45:08 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx