gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:31:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Johnny B. Goode Appreciation Thread  (Read 1675 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2018, 05:43:13 PM »

Any of you, Smiley Smilers, listen to Beach Boys Concert & think that BBs "Johnny B. Goode" cover is really cool? 3D

& which BBs covers done live you really like? Lemme know what you think. Smiley

EDIT
Sad.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/news/20181001/peggy-sue-gerron-inspiration-for-buddy-holly-song-dies-in-lubbock

Gonna have to bust out my copy of MIU today (which I still contend is somewhat underrated).
Wonder what the news of death of BUDDY HOLLY song inspiration got to do with Beach Boys...
Anybody got the clue? Did any BBs dedicate song to her as well? Does the fact that Al sang it somehow is MORE related to BBs than Buddy Holly? Did the real Peggy Sue ever said she prefers Al-sung version, therefore this news about BUDDY HOLLY song inspiration is more relevant here, in the main board than General Music? Did, ACTUALLY, BBs inspire Holly to write song about that lady? She lived near BBs, same neighborhood, by chance?

Million questions. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:27:37 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:38:58 PM »

Cool thread idea. 3D Agree 100% with you, RRA1. Smiley
As to which cover done live I like...sorry, *really* like, I'd say "Barbara Ann". I don't hate it as many fans do, tbh. It's MUCH better than studio version which is still good but isn't huge fave.

Then there's "Runaway" by Al in the lead - great cover, great song. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 08:54:15 PM »

Ha ha

I like the Johnny B Goode on that album, also Little Old Lady from Pasadena.

They did record Peggy Sue so I think the post is germane. She lived only 1900 km from the Beach Boys. I guess by Siberian standards it would be practically the same neighborhood. :-)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 09:52:55 PM »

I'm not sure which reasoning to bring to make you, folks, get what precisely I say. In great detail, asking many rhetorical questions, I did explain why CD's OP got zero to do with BBs. Let's look at like this - if that poster said he likes that cover by BBs, written it in the subject, there'll be no problem.
But, he brought very random news about BUDDY HOLLY original song inspiration's death. It's thus related to Buddy Holly. I'm not sure what's the defending of CenturyDeprived for. Can't believe it's really difficult for you to see what precisely I say.

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 06:15:22 AM »

The thread is all over the place, but I love Carl's early guitar work - especially in Johnny B. Goode. He was just a kid and his solos sound well played and proficient, even without the studio sweetening. Great energy too.

I missed the days whey the Beach Boys stepped away from the lead guitar solos. Carl's work was always under-rated.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 06:24:13 AM »

[...] I love Carl's early guitar work - especially in Johnny B. Goode. He was just a kid and his solos sound well played and proficient, even without the studio sweetening. Great energy too.

[...] Carl's work was always under-rated.
Well said, Rick5150. At such young age, to play like this is big achievement. To me, Carl's best guitar playing is in live "Let's Go Trippin'". Sheer coolness. 3D

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 06:29:34 AM »

To me, Carl's best guitar playing is in live "Let's Go Trippin'". Sheer coolness. 3D

Agreed! Another monstrous song.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx