gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:37:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Brian Wilson Play Guitar?  (Read 6014 times)
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:27:55 PM »

I realize this is probably a stupid question, but I've just noticed that I've never heard of Brian playing guitar on a session or live at a concert. I know that he pretty much picked up the bass as "his" touring instrument, but did he ever learn guitar?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 09:56:58 PM »

I realize this is probably a stupid question, but I've just noticed that I've never heard of Brian playing guitar on a session or live at a concert. I know that he pretty much picked up the bass as "his" touring instrument, but did he ever learn guitar?
I remember back in 86/87, BBFUN mentioning that Brian would be playing a variety of instruments on his solo album, including Fender guitar. Maybe they meant Fender bass.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 10:04:13 PM »

He played guitar on Where is She and Break Away if I am correct.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 10:37:16 PM »

Didn’t he also play guitar on “After the Game”?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 05:25:10 AM »

Lee Dempsey and David Beard had interviewed Brian for ESQ during the sessions for IMAGINATION, during which, Brian picked up a guitar and started strumming some chords prompting Dempsey to say “Brian, I didn’t know you could play guitar!”

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 06:07:56 AM »

COMMENT to John Brode:  Brian Wilson is proficient at playing any keyboard instrument, any 12-string guitar, 6-string guitar, bass guitar and you would be amazed at how good he is playing the drums too.

He prefers to play the keyboard because he relates to music as harmony as well as melody. Harmony is best expressed by the polyphonic keyboard.
~swd
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 06:21:00 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »

COMMENT to John Brode:  Brian Wilson is proficient at playing any keyboard instrument, any 12-string guitar, 6-string guitar, bass guitar and you would be amazed at how good he is playing the drums too.

He prefers to play the keyboard because he relates to music as harmony as well as melody. Harmony is best expressed by the polyphonic keyboard.
~swd
Very cool. I've seen so many videos of him playing bass, piano, and even some drums, but I had come to the realization this morning that I'd never heard anything about him playing guitar. A talented man indeed.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 03:23:02 PM »

~swd

Stephen - Thx. I saw Brian playing drums in 1964 while Dennis sang "The Wanderer." When a friend mentioned that to him in the past few years, he said he didn't remember doing it. I'm glad you were a witness.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 04:19:58 PM »

~swd

And THIS is why we come here. Thanks SWD!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »

~swd

Stephen - Thx. I saw Brian playing drums in 1964 while Dennis sang "The Wanderer." When a friend mentioned that to him in the past few years, he said he didn't remember doing it. I'm glad you were a witness.

COMMENT to Debbie KL:  I think what you saw was even more rare than my "witnessing."  The first time I saw Brian behind a drum kit was in the studio. He was trying to explain a movement -- beat -- progression -- he wanted on drums. Finally, he just went up to the drums, the drummer slid off the throne (drum seat) to make room for (the then) big-ass Brian who pickup up the sticks and like a pro, showed this sideman (hired drummer) what he wanted by doing it. For me, I was floored. I mean, after being around this singing and bass playing talent -- all of a sudden he was no stranger to the kit. He was good. Quite good. I had no idea he even knew one end of the stick from the other. And unlike his brother, he did hold the sticks correctly. AND he was just not holding a beat between the kick and snare, he was all over the toms and cymbals. Later he told me that he did not like drumming that much because it was hard for him to hear the beat -- and I can see that. I saw him play the drums several times in the studio, but never to be recorded, at least by me -- and never in concert. So consider your experience evidence of his talent almost never seen in public.  ~swd 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 06:01:56 PM »

That’s awesome Stephen... thanks for sharing!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 06:57:09 PM »

Brian rocking the guitar:

https://youtu.be/Z7zwg2Z3SF4?t=19m46s

I think in the Endless Harmony documentary there is a quick clip of Brian hitting the drums.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »

Brian rocking the guitar:

https://youtu.be/Z7zwg2Z3SF4?t=19m46s

I think in the Endless Harmony documentary there is a quick clip of Brian hitting the drums.

Cool guitar in that clip -- anyone know what it is?  Looks kinda like a Kay - -Teisco or some other Japanese brand?

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »

~swd

COMMENT to Debbie KL:  I think what you saw was even more rare than my "witnessing."  The first time I saw Brian behind a drum kit was in the studio. He was trying to explain a movement -- beat -- progression -- he wanted on drums. Finally, he just went up to the drums, the drummer slid off the throne (drum seat) to make room for (the then) big-ass Brian who pickup up the sticks and like a pro, showed this sideman (hired drummer) what he wanted by doing it. For me, I was floored. I mean, after being around this singing and bass playing talent -- all of a sudden he was no stranger to the kit. He was good. Quite good. I had no idea he even knew one end of the stick from the other. And unlike his brother, he did hold the sticks correctly. AND he was just not holding a beat between the kick and snare, he was all over the toms and cymbals. Later he told me that he did not like drumming that much because it was hard for him to hear the beat -- and I can see that. I saw him play the drums several times in the studio, but never to be recorded, at least by me -- and never in concert. So consider your experience evidence of his talent almost never seen in public.  ~swd 

Thx again! I just assumed that Brian played the drums when Dennis sang "The Wanderer" throughout the summer tour.  Maybe I got lucky and he was just in the mood to do it that night. It was July 12, 1964 in Kansas City (if my memory hasn't failed me).
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 02:10:54 PM »

I believe Brian plays drums on the Beach Boys Concert version of The Wanderer.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 04:31:32 PM »

I believe Brian plays drums on the Beach Boys Concert version of The Wanderer.

He's also known to have played the drums on "Do You Wanna Dance" when Dennis sang it at the NY Academy Of Music in early '65.
jparis51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 05:16:34 PM »

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:17:49 PM by jparis51 » Logged
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 08:57:01 PM »

Brian has played drums on quite a few recordings pretty funky, till I die, most of Love You. He played guitar on Love You didn’t he? Wonder which tracks.

Played all the instruments for You’ve lost that loving feeling.

Wasn’t aware he played guitar on Where Is She. Was this on the linear notes?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:58:27 PM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »

Brian has played drums on quite a few recordings pretty funky, till I die, most of Love You. He played guitar on Love You didn’t he? Wonder which tracks.

Brian played all the instruments on "Where Is She", and sang all the vocals.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 12:18:36 AM »

Brian played all the instruments on "Where Is She", and sang all the vocals.

Ahh that’s c-man. This is news to me.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 12:32:25 AM »

I was under the impression that a lot of the instruments on "Love You" are Brian overdubbing himself. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 04:37:24 AM »

Debbie-maybe you recall this-a letter was in the Kansas City star a few days later for from a fan complaining about the audience. A girl was upset that someone in the audience threw something at Dennis that knocked him off his kit and he had to exit the show. She was very concerned that the BBs would never return to kc but of course they came back the following year
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »

Debbie-maybe you recall this-a letter was in the Kansas City star a few days later for from a fan complaining about the audience. A girl was upset that someone in the audience threw something at Dennis that knocked him off his kit and he had to exit the show. She was very concerned that the BBs would never return to kc but of course they came back the following year

Was that supposed to be in 1964? I was in the 2nd row and have no memory of that happening. It seems like something that would have stood out. Maybe my view was blocked or something? I know I got his autograph (and Al's) after the show - they used to stand behind a barricade and fans could line up for one. He looked fine to me. I remember his being chased before the show by a group of screaming girls (about 4 of them). I think he loved that stuff. He came out into the huge hall where a large crowd of fans waited to enter the show and was chased down the stairs to a lower level where the garage was. Brian & Mike peeked out from the door with big smiles on their faces around that time. Dennis loved the drama of being a rock star.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »

He's also known to have played the drums on "Do You Wanna Dance" when Dennis sang it at the NY Academy Of Music in early '65.

Photo here:
http://www.beachboysfanclub.org/bwdrums.html
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx