gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:45:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys studio disasters and screwups?  (Read 22420 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2018, 02:29:47 PM »

Sad, indeed. Please tell me it wasn't POB.

It wasn't!

COMMENT to Debbie KL"  What do you mean by POB?   Are you speaking about Phenoxybenzamine, an alpha-blocker?  ~swd
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 02:39:36 PM »

I did have to change my phone number and actually move when Tandyn was at his worst (a long story) because I didn't feel safe and was hiding from him, so I knew he was a real problem as he descended into his hole

Oh my God...that's crazy

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2018, 02:47:59 PM »

COMMENT to guitarfool2002:  If you rent a room to someone it becomes their room. By renting you relinquish your property rights. If you understand that concept, then when the brand (the Beach Boy Corporation) pays for the right to use that room in that house, and pays for it month after month, that area becomes less of the rentee's and more of the renter's to use at their discretion. The studio was built to facilitate the completion of an album (or several). It was not built for the sole enjoyment of Brian.

Brian's home was at least twice a large as anyone else's.  You will understand why the studio was built in Brian's house when Part two of Recording The Beach Boys is published. I would write more, but I'm just repeating myself.
~swd

renter vs rentee -- did I get that right?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:56:03 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »

I did have to change my phone number and actually move when Tandyn was at his worst (a long story) because I didn't feel safe and was hiding from him, so I knew he was a real problem as he descended into his hole

Oh my God...that's crazy

COMMENT to ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮:  Not crazy if you're dealing with a snake. ~swd
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »

It wasn't!

COMMENT to Debbie KL"  What do you mean by POB?   Are you speaking about Phenoxybenzamine, an alpha-blocker?  ~swd

He was referencing "Pacific Ocean Blue" as I understand it.  Frankly, I didn't know any of these drug terms you're referencing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:45:01 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »

I'm not sure who to believe about Tandyn Almer - Mr. Desper ("snake") or Debbie K ("truly brilliant"). But think Mr. Desper's Tandyn's description is right.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »

I'm not sure who to believe about Tandyn Almer - Mr. Desper ("snake") or Debbie K ("truly brilliant"). But think Mr. Desper's Tandyn's description is right.

Brilliant people can be snakes. Read a few more of my posts. When I try to describe complex people, I'm always amazing that one word defines what I said.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2018, 05:41:56 PM »

Either way, I give zero care about Tandyn Almer. Things I listened to written by him didn't impress one bit, including muchly overrated "Along Comes Mary". If he's brilliant snake, that's fine.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2018, 08:38:28 PM »

COMMENT go RangeRoverA1:  We are both right. Drugs and their abuse took their tool on the otherwise creative talent of Mr. Almer. In the metaphor, drugs are the snake. Both Tandyn and Brian were victims of the snake.

But with all this discussion, we must not loose sight of the fact that when Brian fell, he got up, found help and with the love of those around him and around the world, he overcame addiction and re-invented himself for the better. He is still entertaining thousands.

~swd
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:41:06 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2018, 02:35:51 AM »

This is an interesting read.  I have gotten criticised on here before for saying that the standard SSMB narrative/L&M narrative regarding Brian and drugs (including the 'came across some bad LSD that forever changed him') doesn't check out, and I think a lot of the information contained here paints a much more nuanced and "everyman" picture of his struggles than what is more commonly accepted.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2018, 08:29:24 AM »

Imagine the band members trying to impress him with their solo efforts, after they denied him his own.

I saw it. It was sad.

I don't know that I could say Brian was bitter, but he - understandably - wasn't happy. He didn't say anything, at least when I was there, but he made his displeasure known with his expressions and his silence. One time I did see Brian slam his hand down on a vinyl that was playing so hard that the music stopped. The band member hoping to impress him said, "Okay Brian. I guess you've heard enough, Brian," as he scampered out of the room. It was 3 songs in to the record.

It was complicated.

It wasn't!

LBWL?
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »

COMMENT go RangeRoverA1:  We are both right. Drugs and their abuse took their tool on the otherwise creative talent of Mr. Almer. In the metaphor, drugs are the snake. Both Tandyn and Brian were victims of the snake.

But with all this discussion, we must not loose sight of the fact that when Brian fell, he got up, found help and with the love of those around him and around the world, he overcame addiction and re-invented himself for the better. He is still entertaining thousands.

~swd

I think we're both telling the same story here. Brian, with all of the abuse he endured as a child - along with the love he received in a damaged environment, found his own ways to cope and survive. The mystery is how such beautiful creations came from that love and pain. Remarkably, some of this came from situations that descended into chaos. Brian needed many people around him who loved him and would drop everything to support him in surviving, along with his talent. Thankfully, he has that support to this day. I love these people - his family, band, etc. - as I love the people who have done it through the years. Someone once said, "it takes a village."  Wink Brian gets that. He knows exactly who he is and what it takes. When I met him in '69, he knew who he was. I think the painful process we observed was his learning what it takes to be that massive talent, evoking our deepest fears and joys. It was messy, but it succeeded, bringing great work along the way.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:07:42 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »

brian & tandyn @ whiskey-a-go-go supposedly 1970:

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+brian+wilson+tandyn+almer&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=2bhvIKirL8Yw9M%253A%252C2dMvGsJOK2ge7M%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRLaY8C_KpvfpWLJgZVbXGOM4raRg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiyyrb7-dvdAhXm7oMKHUWoCasQ9QEwAXoECAYQBA#imgrc=2bhvIKirL8Yw9M:
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2018, 01:46:59 PM »

COMMENT go RangeRoverA1:  We are both right. Drugs and their abuse took their tool on the otherwise creative talent of Mr. Almer. In the metaphor, drugs are the snake. Both Tandyn and Brian were victims of the snake.

~swd

I think we're both telling the same story here. Brian, with all of the abuse he endured as a child - along with the love he received in a damaged environment, found his own ways to cope and survive. The mystery is how such beautiful creations came from that love and pain. Remarkably, some of this came from situations that descended into chaos. Brian needed many people around him who loved him and would drop everything to support him in surviving, along with his talent. Thankfully, he has that support to this day. I love these people - his family, band, etc. - as I love the people who have done it through the years. Someone once said, "it takes a village."  Wink Brian gets that. He knows exactly who he is and what it takes. When I met him in '69, he knew who he was. I think the painful process we observed was his learning what it takes to be that massive talent, evoking our deepest fears and joys. It was messy, but it succeeded, bringing great work along the way.

Beautifully said

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »

~swd

I think we're both telling the same story here. Brian, with all of the abuse he endured as a child - along with the love he received in a damaged environment, found his own ways to cope and survive. The mystery is how such beautiful creations came from that love and pain. Remarkably, some of this came from situations that descended into chaos. Brian needed many people around him who loved him and would drop everything to support him in surviving, along with his talent. Thankfully, he has that support to this day. I love these people - his family, band, etc. - as I love the people who have done it through the years. Someone once said, "it takes a village."  Wink Brian gets that. He knows exactly who he is and what it takes. When I met him in '69, he knew who he was. I think the painful process we observed was his learning what it takes to be that massive talent, evoking our deepest fears and joys. It was messy, but it succeeded, bringing great work along the way.

Beautifully said

Thx, Billy. Being an artist is a courageous act. Sometimes things are messy, as the theme of this thread indicates. I think that's what helps make it so real. I always loved hearing Brian and family and Brian and his band breathing in between their powerful vocalizations. I always loved the fact that Brian left in a few little background sounds in his recording. Some would suggest he just got bored or was lazy. Maybe he was that brilliant. In any case the humanity it brought to this works.

There are so many technical details that make music great - obviously essential to the process - and Stephen was one of the BBs' best. I think all of the people I mentioned above, being human, brought the relatability that makes us love what they do so much.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:22:47 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2018, 01:20:59 AM »

Thank you Debbie and Steven for your insights, and painting a fuller picture of that whole period of his life. Brian is definitely the ultimate definition of a survivor. That he's still with us and has so many people in his circle who love him is a miracle for us all.

You're right about the humanity aspect of his music Debbie. I picked up on it immediately the first time I listened to Pet Sounds, and it's what I hear in so many of his compositions, from Surfer Girl to 'Til I Die to Still I Dream Of It to Love and Mercy ect. Through the ups and downs, rarely can an artist channel their emotions into their music as artfully as Brian. Dennis was also a master at channelling that pain into his songs.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2018, 11:07:46 AM »

Thank you Debbie and Steven for your insights, and painting a fuller picture of that whole period of his life. Brian is definitely the ultimate definition of a survivor. That he's still with us and has so many people in his circle who love him is a miracle for us all.

You're right about the humanity aspect of his music Debbie. I picked up on it immediately the first time I listened to Pet Sounds, and it's what I hear in so many of his compositions, from Surfer Girl to 'Til I Die to Still I Dream Of It to Love and Mercy ect. Through the ups and downs, rarely can an artist channel their emotions into their music as artfully as Brian. Dennis was also a master at channelling that pain into his songs.

Somehow, I always knew that Brian would survive it all. He was completely devoted to the gifts he had to offer. He definitely pushed the limits of his health, but he always had people there who would help him out, when needed.

And, thx - what a wonderful description of the emotions/music element, SamMcK. It takes a lot of courage to express them to the world.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx