gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:41:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys studio disasters and screwups?  (Read 22414 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »

Curious if anyone has compiled any sort of list of times when some sort of mistake happened (that would be something inherent to the analog tape era that most BBs songs were recorded in)... such as the engineer accidentally destructively taping over a section of audio on a studio song that was intended to be kept, or a tape that got damaged by spilling or something of that nature... that resulted in the final released recording being different than it would have otherwise turned out.

The closest incidents I can think of were a master tape (as I recall?) of Do It Again falling off a car and getting lost, and also the live shows that the band were recording themselves (for their own internal reviewing purposes) being taped over to save tape (this was intentional I think).

PS - not looking for examples of songs that stink and could be considered disasters  LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 02:43:34 PM »

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're after, but I'll give an example of what I think you're asking for. In the song Anna Lee, The Healer, you can hear a music stand and papers falling. At least that's what it sounds like. It's been quite a while since I've listened to it, so I can't say exactly when it happens in the song.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:44:58 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:48:36 PM »

Don't know if this cunts, but taping over Dennis' lead vocal on Sail on Sailor. Why oh why???
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »

Don't know if this cunts, but taping over Dennis' lead vocal on Sail on Sailor. Why oh why???

Yeah, I'm sort of thinking more along the lines of if Denny's vocal had been taped over (but it had been by accident).

Or if the tape of Denny (and the mystery lady's) "outro" of All I Want to Do had been lost, thus necessitating a full retake/re-record  LOL

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're after, but I'll give an example of what I think you're asking for. In the song Anna Lee, The Healer, you can hear a music stand and papers falling. At least that's what it sounds like. It's been quite a while since I've listened to it, so I can't say exactly when it happens in the song.

And not so much the papers falling down. More something where some actual vocal or instrument take was inadvertently destroyed or taped over/damaged/lost, resulting in having to re-record a given song/song section.

I would venture to guess this must have happened a time or two or three, particularly in the pre-digital age of destructive recording. Or perhaps a tape splice happened wrong, resulting in cutting a good section of tape, which then caused a vocal to need to be rerecorded.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 04:03:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 04:01:47 PM »

I agree, aside from a most unfortunate typo!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 10:29:26 PM »

Well that typo certainly made me laugh, however the operative word is correct for someone recording over a Dennis vocal  LOL
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:46:32 PM »

John Hanlon told me he was asked by Dennis to put a short guitar solo on the song "Dreamer" and punch out right before Dennis' previously recorded Fender Rhodes piano solo kicked in...Dennis was out of the room and Hanlon spaced and kept playing right through the spot where he was supposed to punch out, and unfortunately recorded over the track that contained the Dennis solo. He had to tell Dennis when he came back that his piano solo was gone. He said Dennis was pretty cool about it because he liked the guitar part.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 12:53:20 AM »

LOL

I don't know if it was a disaster that Dennis' vocal was taped over. Maybe it wasn't any good. Yes, I would like to hear it but a disaster?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 05:49:40 AM »

Well that typo certainly made me laugh, however the operative word is correct for someone recording over a Dennis vocal  LOL

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 11:00:48 AM »

John Hanlon told me he was asked by Dennis to put a short guitar solo on the song "Dreamer" and punch out right before Dennis' previously recorded Fender Rhodes piano solo kicked in...Dennis was out of the room and Hanlon spaced and kept playing right through the spot where he was supposed to punch out, and unfortunately recorded over the track that contained the Dennis solo. He had to tell Dennis when he came back that his piano solo was gone. He said Dennis was pretty cool about it because he liked the guitar part.

Thanks for sharing this story, Jon. This is just the type of story I was looking for.

I feel like this type of thing must have also happened other times throughout the history of the band (somebody forgetting to punch out).
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »

COMMENT to Tony S:  Because it wasn't good. It only took one take to realise Dennis was not the person to sing lead on this song.

Most leads or instrumental parts that do not please the performer are removed at the performer's request.

Brian's original lyrics and lead for Til' I Die that were almost ready for mixdown, were erased to make room for the present version. That was Carl's decision. (More on this in Part two of my book.

I once accidentally did not get out of an insert cut on the multi-track, thus wiping out $5,000 worth of a string sweetening session. (Also more detail in my book)
~swd
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:56:37 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 11:53:35 AM »

Thanks Stephen....would still like to have heard it though, understandably.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 12:03:03 PM »

COMMENT to Tony S:  Because it wasn't good. It only took one take to realise Dennis was not the person to sing lead on this song.

Most leads or instrumental parts that do not please the performer are removed at the performer's request.

Brian's original lyrics and lead for Til' I Die that were almost ready for mixdown, were erased to make room for the present version. That was Carl's decision. (More on this in Part two of my book.

I once accidentally did not get out of an insert cut on the multi-track, thus wiping out $5,000 worth of a string sweetening session. (Also more detail in my book)
~swd

Can't wait to read your book, Stephen!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »

~swd

I'm guessing destructive tape editing - even when one is very good at it - must be more nerve wracking than digital editing, since there's no CONTROL + Z to undo an incorrect punch or tapeover.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 12:34:39 PM »

~swd

I'm guessing destructive tape editing - even when one is very good at it - must be more nerve wracking than digital editing, since there's no CONTROL + Z to undo an incorrect punch or tapeover.

COMMENT to Century Deprived:   Actually it was constructive tape editing that solved the problem. Details in the book, but editing an analog tape is just as easy and accurate as in digital, provided the tape speed is 15IPS or faster.  AND, as you will lean in Part Two, there are some tricks you can do in analog that you cannot do in digital. ~swd
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »

Not Beach Boys-related, but still "studio disasters and screwups" related - most of the multi-track for Steely Dan's song "The Second Arrangement" was accidentally erased by an assistant engineer, forcing Becker and Fagen to use a different song in its place on the Gaucho LP. Pretty legendary story (bootlegs of the song do circulate, apparently sourced from an earlier rough mix).
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »

Not Beach Boys-related, but still "studio disasters and screwups" related - most of the multi-track for Steely Dan's song "The Second Arrangement" was accidentally erased by an assistant engineer, forcing Becker and Fagen to use a different song in its place on the Gaucho LP. Pretty legendary story (bootlegs of the song do circulate, apparently sourced from an earlier rough mix).

COMMENT to c-man:   Here's one you may not know.  It was a tracking session at GoldStar, Sunset, or Valentine OR one of the independent studios. Dennis was to provide the drumming, but arrived having had a little too much adult beverage in his blood and managed to trip over a mic stand near the drum kit. This propelled the mic boom arm to fall into the cymbal support, which knocked over the high-hat and this caused the snare to smash into the toms. No damage to the drums proper, but not a good thing to happen when you have all the drum mics open and the monitor up high to hear balances of the drums. So all of a sudden all hell broke loose with an atomic bomb level of sound emanating from the monitors in the control room. Unfortunately burning out one of the mid-range drivers of the monitor speakers. The boys covered the cost of the monitor fix, but the session was busted for the day until equipment repairs could be finished the following day.  ~swd
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 05:25:46 PM »

COMMENT to c-man:   Here's one you may not know.  It was a tracking session at GoldStar, Sunset, or Valentine OR one of the independent studios. Dennis was to provide the drumming, but arrived having had a little too much adult beverage in his blood and managed to trip over a mic stand near the drum kit. This propelled the mic boom arm to fall into the cymbal support, which knocked over the high-hat and this caused the snare to smash into the toms. No damage to the drums proper, but not a good thing to happen when you have all the drum mics open and the monitor up high to hear balances of the drums. So all of a sudden all hell broke loose with an atomic bomb level of sound emanating from the monitors in the control room. Unfortunately burning out one of the mid-range drivers of the monitor speakers. The boys covered the cost of the monitor fix, but the session was busted for the day until equipment repairs could be finished the following day.  ~swd

That almost sounds like something you'd see in a Chevy Chase routine!  Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 05:47:59 PM »

I was thinking about "The Second Arrangement" too! I'd vote that as perhaps the biggest or most infamous studio blunder in rock history, with added weight because of Becker and Fagen's OCD studio meticulousness.

Perhaps second to that is the story of "Rael" from the Who Sell Out sessions. Al Kooper (as he's known for doing) told the story since he was on that session in NY. They had finished up recording and left for the night. Someone left the reel of the day's sessions out on the console, they forgot to box it and put it away safely.

A member of the studio janitorial staff came in to clean up after hours, and for some reason threw the reel in the trash can. Then, proceeded to dump ashtrays, remnants of drinks, etc on top of it. When the engineer came in the next day, he had to tell Townshend what happened because the first part of the song had been ruined. He told Pete "Sometimes these things happen..."

Pete picked up the engineer's chair, threw it through the studio glass, shattering it, and said "Don't worry, sometimes these things happen..."

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 06:24:01 PM »

I was thinking about "The Second Arrangement" too! I'd vote that as perhaps the biggest or most infamous studio blunder in rock history, with added weight because of Becker and Fagen's OCD studio meticulousness.

Perhaps second to that is the story of "Rael" from the Who Sell Out sessions. Al Kooper (as he's known for doing) told the story since he was on that session in NY. They had finished up recording and left for the night. Someone left the reel of the day's sessions out on the console, they forgot to box it and put it away safely.

A member of the studio janitorial staff came in to clean up after hours, and for some reason threw the reel in the trash can. Then, proceeded to dump ashtrays, remnants of drinks, etc on top of it. When the engineer came in the next day, he had to tell Townshend what happened because the first part of the song had been ruined. He told Pete "Sometimes these things happen..."

Pete picked up the engineer's chair, threw it through the studio glass, shattering it, and said "Don't worry, sometimes these things happen..."

Wow...I guess it's a good thing Fagen just walked out without saying anything!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 07:44:38 PM »

Not to derail away from BB's studio mishaps...but I read years ago a studio story which I now cannot find anything to back it up. I swore it was U2's "Where The Streets Have No Name". Not the famous story about Eno almost wiping the tapes in frustration, but a story about how either the studio or the studio complex had caught fire, and an engineer actually risked his life to run back in and save the tapes.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I may have read it in something like Mix, Musician, or Pulse in the early 90's.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 07:53:53 PM »

Not to derail away from BB's studio mishaps...but I read years ago a studio story which I now cannot find anything to back it up. I swore it was U2's "Where The Streets Have No Name". Not the famous story about Eno almost wiping the tapes in frustration, but a story about how either the studio or the studio complex had caught fire, and an engineer actually risked his life to run back in and save the tapes.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I may have read it in something like Mix, Musician, or Pulse in the early 90's.

I seem to recall a Bill Wyman story about how he ran into the burning studio at Olympic to retrieve Jean Luc Goddard's raw footage of the "Sympathy For The Devil" sessions...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 08:26:56 PM »

I remember a story a few years ago that seemed to confirm that a copy of the version of Till I Die with the original lyrics exists. Of course, that doesn't mean that the original master itself was erased.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 11:18:34 PM »

I am so looking forward to Recording the Beach Boys Part 2.

Stephen, what is your best estimate as to when it will be available?

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2018, 12:36:37 AM »

Ooh, here's another one...according to Carli Muņoz, Carl recorded a solo for Dennis' Bambu opener "Under The Moonlight" that was "absolutely fantastic", but it was accidentally erased (the final solo we hear was performed by Ed Carter).
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx