gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:48:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newer Sloop John B, Wouldn't It Be Nice recordings  (Read 2368 times)
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:00:34 PM »

Hi, new to the forum here.  Recently I was watching a couple videos on Youtube with Brian Wilson and Al Jardine recording Sloop John B and Wouldn't It Be Nice at Capitol Studios in 2016:

https://youtu.be/eDZgl7H-coQ

https://youtu.be/G_tWGUBFsz4 

My question is were these versions released on an album?  If so, which one?

Thanks a lot,
Steve
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:17:30 PM »

Welcome Steve! I'm pretty sure those were just one offs, not released any where else besides youtube. I could be wrong though
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »

They were indeed one offs

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »

Though an EP for sale on the tour would be nice.... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 09:16:19 AM »

I may be totally wrong on this but didn't Brian, Al and band re-record the complete Pet Sounds album for the 50th anniversary for iTunes or some other company and these two performances were part of that?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:18:31 AM »

YouTube exclusive?...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 02:14:48 PM »

Looking back through some threads and it was apparently for Spotify according to a band members FB account. Nothing was ever confirmed or announced I believe.
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »

Thanks for the info - hopefully they will be included on a release someday.  I especially like the endings (no fade-outs) on those tracks.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 06:21:21 AM »

My recollection is they did perform the entire Pet Sounds album in those sessions and it was to be released.

Sadly, I believe the accusations against Scott Bennett put the kibosh on that, since it was roughly around the same time both went down.

Or my 42-year-old memory is mixing things up again.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx