gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680987 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 07:04:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's song obsessions  (Read 3180 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2006, 10:13:08 AM »

It seems that throughout Brian's career, there have been certain songs that he's obsessed over, creatively, playing them or recording them over a long period of time, in many variations, but rarely finishing them to his satisfaction.  These include Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains, Can't Wait Too Long, Shortenin' Bread, and Proud Mary.

Completed songs by others he's listened to obsessively include Be My Baby, Rhapsody in blue, and Sail Away.

Any common threads between all these songs?  Why did he get so fixated on certain songs/chord progressions, and not others?  Any other songs I'm forgetting?
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 10:38:48 AM »

Why did he get so fixated on certain songs/chord progressions, and not others?
Well, why are we on a board that is basically dedicated to ONE album? I really don´t know why, but I guess it´s just that certain pieces of art resonate more with certain persons than others. I for example can listen "Solsbury Hill" 24/7 without ever getting tired of it.

Any other songs I'm forgetting?
How about "Sherry She Needs Me", "She Says She Needs Me" and all the other variations/recordings? And then there´s of course his re-recording of "Let Him Run Wild", where he dissed his old (stunning) vocals. Once he was asked in an interview about the biggest mistake in his life. Off all the possible answers (and there's a lot), he mentioned that he wasn´t satisfied with the coda of "California Girls".
I think Brian is just a perfectionist in a very weird way. He rushes certain things, but gets obsessive about others. For example, he worked months on ONE song, but mixed a complete album, that meant a lot to him, in one day.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 10:40:34 AM »

P.S. Brian's obsessive behaviour is of course not limited to music. Birthday cakes, steaks, all kind of drugs, hawaii-shirts...

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
SG7
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 12:07:27 PM »

Young girls especially   Grin
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 12:10:15 PM »

I once read that Brian also has something with "Nights In White Satin"... It made him think of his own funeral or something, I believe.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 12:46:37 PM »

"Ol' Man River."

It isn't like Brian is the only musician to do this. Frank Zappa's entire catalogue--a big one--is littered with Louie Louie and Petrushka, which makes for quite a pair.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 01:43:09 PM »

I once read that Brian also has something with "Nights In White Satin"... It made him think of his own funeral or something, I believe.

Oh, you're talking about the song..... Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 04:39:36 AM »

Brian's obsession with listening to certain songs could also be perceived that he Enjoys the songs! They "move" him in such a way that,just like a Drug,he is always seeking that "feeling" that a particular song gives him.Just my take being a muscian mySelf.
In fact,I listen to "Our Sweet Love","At My Window","Cool,Cool Water","Day In The Life..Tree","'Til I Die" every single day here at work.Sometimes twice a day!  It's the "feeling" from the song,the harmonies that just send a shiver up my spine.It's how you "resonate" with certain tones and how the song moves you.
Could it really be obsession? Or just enjoyment?
Brian
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 12:17:37 PM »

anybody think Brian was obsessed with Nilsson's/Spector's This Could Be the Night?
He recorded a version for the Nilsson tribute album
He played it in concert on his first concert tour i believe in 99?
and he played on the Lonst Hotel tape...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 08:23:46 AM »

Reading Peter's book where Brian goes into a closet set up with studio monitors and listen to Be My Baby on a tape loop for several hours in the dark, yeah, I think it was an obsession - which doesn't mean enjoyment wasn't part of the obsession.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 08:38:37 AM »

...and listen to Be My Baby on a tape loop for several hours in the dark, yeah, I think it was an obsession
Especially since it was a tape-loop of just the chorus!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx