gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:28:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"  (Read 5564 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »

Some of you may remember when this topic first came up, three years back...
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20776.50.html

Well, this evening I got around to listening to the DTS Digital 5.1 mix of Pet Sounds from the DVD-A for the first time. After that absolutely stunning mix of the album finished playing, I let the bonus tracks play out...including the a capella mix of "IJWMFTT", and I gotta tell ya...I'm more convinced then ever that remnants of Dennis' lost lead vocal remain, at the end of the verse lines. If you have that mix and the equipment to play it on (mine are a basic BluRay player and two Bose speakers plus subwoofer hooked up to my giant TV), listen to the end of the first two lines... the words "my mind", and especially "be-hind". The timbre is such that it's quite obviously two guys on those words, rather than one double-tracked - and the dominant voice, particularly on the second line's ending words "be-hind" is classic mid--'60s Dennis Wilson. Listen to the box set vocals-only mix through headphones, and you'll hear micro-second "breaks" prior to those syllables, where a tape machine was quite obviously turned off (as is also evident in the vocals-only mix of "Kiss Me Baby"). Which convinces me that when Brian laid down his vocals (erasing Dennis'), he had the engineer stop the tape before those last two syllables (at least on one track). When Brian doubled his lead, he probably sang with Dennis, so that the end result is a blend of both of them on those last two syllables of each verse line. Very clever, almost spooky, and definitely cool.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »

Some of you may remember when this topic first came up, three years back...
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20776.50.html

Well, this evening I got around to listening to the DTS Digital 5.1 mix of Pet Sounds from the DVD-A for the first time. After that absolutely stunning mix of the album finished playing, I let the bonus tracks play out...including the a capella mix of "IJWMFTT", and I gotta tell ya...I'm more convinced then ever that remnants of Dennis' lost lead vocal remain, at the end of the verse lines. If you have that mix and the equipment to play it on (mine are a basic BluRay player and two Bose speakers plus subwoofer hooked up to my giant TV), listen to the end of the first two lines... the words "my mind", and especially "be-hind". The timbre is such that it's quite obviously two guys on those words, rather than one double-tracked - and the dominant voice, particularly on the second line's ending words "be-hind" is classic mid--'60s Dennis Wilson. Listen to the box set vocals-only mix through headphones, and you'll hear micro-second "breaks" prior to those syllables, where a tape machine was quite obviously turned off (as is also evident in the vocals-only mix of "Kiss Me Baby"). Which convinces me that when Brian laid down his vocals (erasing Dennis'), he had the engineer stop the tape before those last two syllables (at least on one track). When Brian doubled his lead, he probably sang with Dennis, so that the end result is a blend of both of them on those last two syllables of each verse line. Very clever, almost spooky, and definitely cool.

That is so cool. I have to dust off my old DVD-A of Pet Sounds to hear it again too for this (I had Brian autograph my DVD-A version back during the Getting In Over My Head autograph in-store appearance that Brian did, and I've sometimes wondered how many Brian-autographed copies exist of this unusual format of the album).

I hope somebody can ask Brian someday about this very question to get confirmation of Denny's remaining parts. I have a hunch he'd remember this detail too.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »

I can hear it too. You don't need a surround sound mix. Just listen closely  in stereo with headphones and you can hear it.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 01:03:43 AM »

My daughter kept telling me it was Dennis by himself at the end of the behind part , without asking her why . Once you hear it, you really can’t unhear it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 01:34:57 AM »

I've always heard Dennis on that song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 01:43:47 AM »

Now it’s so obvious to me. Hell if an 11 year old can hear it I should’ve LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 02:06:11 AM »

I actually thought it was public knowledge until I started going on message boards. I never thought to question it because I thought it was well known.  Grin
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:07:13 AM by Jay » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 02:12:50 AM »

Wow. I feel like a complete dumbass LOL

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 03:00:50 AM »

You are, but we still love you.  Razz

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 03:09:53 AM »

I really want to believe this theory, but I honestly can't hear it and a listen to the first lead vocal overdub of the song confirms (to me) that it's just Brian singing throughout.  Here is a remix of that track on the SOT set isolated as much as I could: https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/ijwmftt-lead-vocal

You can obviously hear tape punches after certain sections, but that doesn't really prove that Dennis is the one singing those parts.  There are tape punches and general anomalies all over the vocals throughout Pet Sounds (heard clearer in the mono mix).  The only thing giving credence to this theory is the bit of Dennis at the very end, a fragment of an earlier take that was likely completely recorded over that does not remain in the final mix.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:12:27 AM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 07:12:41 AM »

It is obviously Dennis' '66 voice on the brief syllables just as C-man described. The more you isolate those snippets the easier it is to hear it. I appreciate that Craig uncovered this some years ago and the closer you can zero in on exactly where he's talking about in the song it becomes clear that there's a trace of Dennis that finishes the words "mind" and "behind".
C-man has the best ears and the focus and patience that only the best and most accurate researchers bring to the table. This is one of his most intriguing discoveries because it had been hiding in plain sight on one of Brian's most scrutinized recordings, and now it seems so obvious, but it took Craig's unique skill to sift it out.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 07:25:49 AM »

I really want to believe this theory, but I honestly can't hear it and a listen to the first lead vocal overdub of the song confirms (to me) that it's just Brian singing throughout.  Here is a remix of that track on the SOT set isolated as much as I could: https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/ijwmftt-lead-vocal

You can obviously hear tape punches after certain sections, but that doesn't really prove that Dennis is the one singing those parts.  There are tape punches and general anomalies all over the vocals throughout Pet Sounds (heard clearer in the mono mix).  The only thing giving credence to this theory is the bit of Dennis at the very end, a fragment of an earlier take that was likely completely recorded over that does not remain in the final mix.
i think you need the double track vocal to hear what Craig is pointing out,You can really hear the DW presence here on the word "behind" https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K9bcgSHfeOk
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:38:43 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 09:14:59 AM »

I hear what you're saying, and agree in terms of that first lead vocal overdub - and I'll point out that even on the next SOT track, where the second lead vocal overdub is added, it's not real obvious, either. But, I'll also point out that in that SOT mix where the second lead is added, the second lead seems to be less prominent level-wise, so you're still mostly hearing the first lead. After listening to those, I returned to the "vocals-only" mix from the Capitol box set and the DTS 5.1 mix, and to me, the final word of each line (especially the last syllable, but not necessarily "just" the last syllable) has Dennis' voice in there. So, perhaps Brian redid the entire "1st lead" but kept Denny's final word on each line from the "2nd lead", and it's just not as obvious on the SOT presentation, but way obvious on the official mixes.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »

So, are we all in agreement now that a good portion of this early mix features Dennis' vocal in unison w/ Brian?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EvHbli4oGY

I'd be willing to bet this is an early mix of the exact vocal that was mostly erased. The first "ain't doing me no gooooood" clearly features Dennis, louder than Brian. And the second "what's it all about?" is a very soft Dennis, or Carl.

My theory is:

Brian recorded a guide vocal for Dennis, Dennis had a go at it and Brian found it to lack the special sauce he was looking for, he heard them played back together, found it promising and made a demo mix of them both together. Decided he wanted a softer feel for the vocal but liked Dennis' phrasing on the final syllables, so overdubbed one of his leads with Dennis' remaining. Keep in mind the entire backing track was on 1 track of the 8-track, so they had 7 tracks to play with -- and no backing vocals are taking up space on the verses.

Some of the early mix above is actually the same performance as on the final -- at least the last chorus ... different mix though.

Also, as I've mentioned a few times before, we can never be certain what is on the 8-track are the same discrete elements that are on the original mono mix. Clearly, there are several instances where overdubs were made later than what ended up on the original record (MIke's bridge on "Wouldn't It Be Nice", Brian's tag on "God Only Knows" etc.). So the original mono is always my main reference (which is also relevant to the "Aren't You Glad" vocal thread ... where the mono has different performances in parts than the newer stereo mix).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:14:16 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »

That's only one of two lead vocal tracks though. Any all bets are off when the SOT boot is the source. My opinion is whoever was making these "mixes" was not paying much attention, they were getting a fast and dirty "transfer". Additionally, see my comments above re: existing multis.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:11:51 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 03:32:04 PM »

That's only one of two lead vocal tracks though. Any all bets are off when the SOT boot is the source. My opinion is whoever was making these "mixes" was not paying much attention, they were getting a fast and dirty "transfer". Additionally, see my comments above re: existing multis.

It's not audibly clear that there's another voice in the mix with the 2nd overdub either.  These are the exact same tracks that they used to make the vocal only mix from the box set that is being cited as evidence.  The Be-"HIND" part that people think sounds like Dennis (at :23 in the link I posted) is just Brian.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »

It's not audibly clear that there's another voice in the mix with the 2nd overdub either.  These are the exact same tracks that they used to make the vocal only mix from the box set that is being cited as evidence.  The Be-"HIND" part that people think sounds like Dennis (at :23 in the link I posted) is just Brian.

Do you have the second overdub from SOT isolated and readily available as well -- I'd like to hear it if so. I agree that the link you posted above sounds like it's probably all Brian, however I'm not convinced the stereo mix has exactly the same elements as the original mono mix. And certainly we don't know if all tracks were used for SOT (there could be 7 lead vocal tracks for all we know).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:48:50 PM by DonnyL » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 05:21:57 PM »

You are, but we still love you.  Razz

LOL

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 05:24:15 PM »

Do you have the second overdub from SOT isolated and readily available as well -- I'd like to hear it if so. I agree that the link you posted above sounds like it's probably all Brian, however I'm not convinced the stereo mix has exactly the same elements as the original mono mix. And certainly we don't know if all tracks were used for SOT (there could be 7 lead vocal tracks for all we know).

Here is that track with the 2nd lead separated as much as I could: https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/ijwmftt-lead-vocal-2nd-overdub  I could also post a mono version of this with less of the backing track audible if that's more desirable.

The tracks on the SOT boot are a sequential dump of each track laid on top of eachother and after the 2nd overdub track turns into a mess.  Most of the tracks are just Brian (though there are two with the group vocals...the wordless oohs and the part in spanish...which I assume Dennis sang on).  I'm not discounting the theory completely, but given the evidence I think people are hearing Dennis when it's just Brian whining in a lower register.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:27:45 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 10:48:27 PM »

So, are we all in agreement now that a good portion of this early mix features Dennis' vocal in unison w/ Brian?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EvHbli4oGY

I'd be willing to bet this is an early mix of the exact vocal that was mostly erased. The first "ain't doing me no gooooood" clearly features Dennis, louder than Brian. And the second "what's it all about?" is a very soft Dennis, or Carl.

My theory is:

Brian recorded a guide vocal for Dennis, Dennis had a go at it and Brian found it to lack the special sauce he was looking for, he heard them played back together, found it promising and made a demo mix of them both together. Decided he wanted a softer feel for the vocal but liked Dennis' phrasing on the final syllables, so overdubbed one of his leads with Dennis' remaining. Keep in mind the entire backing track was on 1 track of the 8-track, so they had 7 tracks to play with -- and no backing vocals are taking up space on the verses.

Some of the early mix above is actually the same performance as on the final -- at least the last chorus ... different mix though.

Also, as I've mentioned a few times before, we can never be certain what is on the 8-track are the same discrete elements that are on the original mono mix. Clearly, there are several instances where overdubs were made later than what ended up on the original record (MIke's bridge on "Wouldn't It Be Nice", Brian's tag on "God Only Knows" etc.). So the original mono is always my main reference (which is also relevant to the "Aren't You Glad" vocal thread ... where the mono has different performances in parts than the newer stereo mix).

This is all very interesting and of course slightly frustrating because it's impossible to really know the true answer, but I think that it's very possible that Denny is on there.

I wonder if anyone sees a throughline from Denny's vocal on "In the Back of My Mind" to this song.  Am I correct in remembering that Brian at some point expressed displeasure with the final Denny lead vocal and that song in some interview? It seems that  ITBOMM was the only other time where he attempted to give Denny a sensitive, soft, highly personal ballad... and I suppose Brian felt  IJWMFTT just  had to have his own lead on it (a wise choice IMO)...  

But the thing that really ties these songs together for me in relation to this conversation, is that for the longest time I had thought that Denny - and just Denny - was the one singing those beautiful "I try to rationalize..." bits on ITBOMM - that somehow he had just phrased them very sweetly, only to find out that Brian had in fact doubled them (at least I think that is the going consensus, that those parts are actually a blend of both Brian and Denny?)… In my view this was almost an attempt to trick the listener into thinking that it was Denny singing those lines.  And it almost seems to be similar to what happened here on IJWMFTT as well,  except this time instead of Brian shadowing Denny, Denny was shadowing Brian.

Not all that different from how Brian punched himself in to the very high parts on Good Vibrations, almost tricking the listener into thinking that it was Carl singing those parts.  Brian was really experimenting with vocal blending and audio trickery... It's like he left us all a puzzle.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:59:14 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 01:19:19 AM »

Yes, for me, it isn't Brian on the "hind", it is Dennis! It's strange, but I really think it is Dennis
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 05:03:58 AM »

But the thing that really ties these songs together for me in relation to this conversation, is that for the longest time I had thought that Denny - and just Denny - was the one singing those beautiful "I try to rationalize..." bits on ITBOMM - that somehow he had just phrased them very sweetly, only to find out that Brian had in fact doubled them (at least I think that is the going consensus, that those parts are actually a blend of both Brian and Denny?)… In my view this was almost an attempt to trick the listener into thinking that it was Denny singing those lines.  And it almost seems to be similar to what happened here on IJWMFTT as well,  except this time instead of Brian shadowing Denny, Denny was shadowing Brian.

Not all that different from how Brian punched himself in to the very high parts on Good Vibrations, almost tricking the listener into thinking that it was Carl singing those parts.  Brian was really experimenting with vocal blending and audio trickery... It's like he left us all a puzzle.

That's Carl doubling Dennis on the bridge of "In The Back Of My Mind".
EDIT: likewise, Carl sings a lead line on Dennis' "Little Bird" ("What a day, what a day, oh what a beautiful day it is"). Took me years to realize that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:11:13 AM by c-man » Logged
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 06:12:05 AM »

But the thing that really ties these songs together for me in relation to this conversation, is that for the longest time I had thought that Denny - and just Denny - was the one singing those beautiful "I try to rationalize..." bits on ITBOMM - that somehow he had just phrased them very sweetly, only to find out that Brian had in fact doubled them (at least I think that is the going consensus, that those parts are actually a blend of both Brian and Denny?)… In my view this was almost an attempt to trick the listener into thinking that it was Denny singing those lines.  And it almost seems to be similar to what happened here on IJWMFTT as well,  except this time instead of Brian shadowing Denny, Denny was shadowing Brian.

That's Carl doubling Dennis on the bridge of "In The Back Of My Mind".
EDIT: likewise, Carl sings a lead line on Dennis' "Little Bird" ("What a day, what a day, oh what a beautiful day it is"). Took me years to realize that.

are you sure?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 08:53:25 AM »

I'm on the fence on this one. I agree that it depends on which version, whether the released, remixed stereo, or original 1966 mono pressings you listen to.

I listened to "Ebb and Flow's Soundcloud mixes, including the one where he isolated Dennis' voice on the sessions. The one just posted sounds like Brian to me. Obviously on that Soundcloud you can A/B the Brian and Dennis vocal bits and listen for the timbres of the voices.

But I will say I always heard that touch of Dennis' voice on the "old" mixes. On those last syllables especially. I could be wrong. But that was a judgement call to where some of those ending syllables sounded like Dennis.

However...when session rough mixes, dub-downs, attempts to "stack" vocals, reference mixes, and anything captured at a specific moment in the process is used as a reference, it gets REALLY cloudy. We don't know what we're hearing. It could have been a Tuesday session where Brian was laying down vocals as guides...then you'd get a Friday session where he'd have, say, Dennis come in and try some parts based on those guides...then a week later Brian would come back and re-do a vocal over Denny's because he wasn't vibing with it after listening to a rough mix at home for a few days. That's how the process works.

Now, add to it the fact that Pet Sounds pushed the limits of what was available in 1966 in terms of mixing, track availability, sub-mixing or bouncing tracks, etc...up to the limits of the equipment itself. We know there were parts flown in or punched in during what we call final mix sessions. Parts that did not exist prior to the attempt to do the full, final mixdown. Heck, that even happened as late as 1969 with George Harrison's "Something" guitar solo...the tracks were already so full, he had exactly one chance to nail it "live" as the tracks were being mixed. He of course did, but consider this was 1969 and not 1966. So it was still a valid issue when mixing tracks in the 60's. Similar to the solo on Help Me Rhonda in '65.

It just shows how one line or one part could have been present for weeks, and then wiped when the final mix was happening to be replaced by something else (or someone else). With those parameters, some tracks become nearly impossible to suss out using session tracks leading up to the final, released version.

Also worth noting, that gets forgotten yet can be heard on select excerpts, is how many single lines or phrases of vocals were "punched" in, versus having a continuously sung verse or even several lines of a section. You hear a bit of that in Ebb And Flow's Soundcloud, but of course punching in wasn't as clean as it would later become. You can often hear the "bweeeepth" (haha, I know...) sound of the punch if you listen for it.

And consider this too - If you listen to the standard, run of the mill UK mix of Revolver with the right headphones (in my case, a cheap pair of Sony discman phones that miraculously brought these frequencies out) you can hear many edits, splices, and punches flying out of the mix. It was revelatory. If you know what to listen for.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 02:18:10 PM »

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, and I think I've come up with a little "test" to help us out. Somebody noted that it's most obvious on the "hind" in the word "behind". Now, with that in mind, listen to the Smiley Smile version of Wind Chimes. Particularly the "im" sound. It's that same slightly nasal sounding whine.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx