gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:08:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll to the Rescue  (Read 8771 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »

I would love to know the backstory on this song.  It is surprising to me that a Mike and Terry Melcher song would feature a lead vocal by Brian in 1986.  Maybe it was a condition of Landy's to have Brian involved (speculation on my part).  I also find it interesting that apparently on the tape box it says that Brian was a co-producer, but he didn't get a producers credit.  I would have thought that Landy would be getting credit for Brian for anything he did.  Does anyone know the backstory on this song, and how Brian came to be the lead singer?

BTW, I think that Carl sings the hell out of his parts.  I love hearing him grit it out.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »

I would love to know the backstory on this song.  It is surprising to me that a Mike and Terry Melcher song would feature a lead vocal by Brian in 1986.  Maybe it was a condition of Landy's to have Brian involved (speculation on my part).  I also find it interesting that apparently on the tape box it says that Brian was a co-producer, but he didn't get a producers credit.  I would have thought that Landy would be getting credit for Brian for anything he did.  Does anyone know the backstory on this song, and how Brian came to be the lead singer?

BTW, I think that Carl sings the hell out of his parts.  I love hearing him grit it out.

I think this song is quite underrated. I want to know its backstory too.

I was surprised that Robin Leach mentioned it by doing a "Rock N Roll to the Rescue" pun in his narration as late as 1990 with Mike's appearance on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous (surely the last-known mention of this song anywhere in the BBs universe, I'd think).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »

The story I've read (from someone who allegedly asked Melcher) is that Brian and Terry started out coproducing the track, then Landy pulled Brian out mid-production to have a stress test in Hawaii. Melcher was pissed, and removed his name at that point.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »

The story I've read (from someone who allegedly asked Melcher) is that Brian and Terry started out coproducing the track, then Landy pulled Brian out mid-production to have a stress test in Hawaii. Melcher was pissed, and removed his name at that point.

I heard Brian relate that exact set of events in a radio interview maybe 20 years ago

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 07:16:51 PM »

I heard Brian relate that exact set of events in a radio interview maybe 20 years ago

Well...maybe THAT'S where I heard it, too! 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 09:08:40 PM »

Fascinating. Was that Brian and Terry's only collab (or attempt at one)? I guess Brian and Terry may (?) have collaborated in some way for Getcha Back, though maybe not in a co-production sense.

Side note: when I hear the term "stress test", I think of Scientology, although I'll assume this was not that.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 05:10:20 AM »

Side note: when I hear the term "stress test", I think of Scientology, although I'll assume this was not that.

I think it more likely involved a tread mill - not sure why that couldn't have been accomplished in Southern California, though...
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 05:31:33 AM »

Landy probably wanted a free trip to Hawaii.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 06:58:38 AM »

It‘s probably my favorite late-Brian lead. He is getting a super rocking sound. But all the guys put on great vocals on this one imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »

The song resulted in another a long line of slightly weird, awkward TV appearances where Brian and the band mimed the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxJfuml6ir8

And then they did it live at Farm Aid, with Al singing Brian's lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfwxe0W9h2A

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »

The song resulted in another a long line of slightly weird, awkward TV appearances where Brian and the band mimed the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxJfuml6ir8

And then they did it live at Farm Aid, with Al singing Brian's lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfwxe0W9h2A

Al and Mike share Brian's vocals in that Farm Aid live performance. Rough start and Al is uncharacteristically hoarse, but the song comes off alright once they get into it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »

If the song had become a Kokomo level hit, I wonder if Howard Stern would play the song on air, and add his "Hey now!" audio clip repeatedly on top of all of the "hey nows" on the second verse.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 06:08:38 AM »

Thanks for the information!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »

I thought the song was alright, but Brian's voice was in rough shape and detracted from the track.  Al or Carl would have been the better choice.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »

I thought the song was alright, but Brian's voice was in rough shape and detracted from the track.  Al or Carl would have been the better choice.

It's all opinion of course, but I respectfully disagree. While Brian was certainly trying out a new type of voice (I'm not sure he's ever sung a full lead that sounds quite like this), I don't think he sounds bad at all. It's almost his '80s voice doing a cross between a "You're So Good to Me" or "Wouldn't it Be Nice" type of lead, with a little more of a layed-back (and only very slightly wacky) vibe.

Most importantly to me, he sounds like he's having fun, and seems legit engaged and excited to be singing this lead.

Maybe it's just because his voice is in so much better shape than material released in subsequent decades to this song, but I think it's Brian giving it his '80s all, and surprisingly succeeding in a general sense. Not to mention the backing harmonies are TOP notch... the "hey nows" sound as Beach Boys as it gets (recalling their 60s harmonies), perhaps for the 2nd or 3rd to last time ever (the only BBs songs released after Rock N Roll to the Rescue that have that very specific GROUP vocal blend that sounds exactly like it came out of the '60s would be Make it Big and Island Girl (intro).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:46:41 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 03:42:39 PM »

I also think Brian's vocal on rock and roll to the rescue its pretty good. Certainly very different from any other vocals we heard from him during this time or since.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 03:53:25 PM »

BW sounds good on it! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 10:02:33 PM »

I like the song, but I would've chosen Al to be the lead singer on this song. Mike would be the natural choice, and that's why I choose Al - just because he sounds great on it, and he needs more lead vocals.  Afro
jparis51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 05:49:47 AM »

Well I was driving when I first heard it and it was one of those times I had to just pull over to take in a song. I was stunned, I love nearly everything about it and I would have put it on both the 1993 and 2013 box sets following Kokomo. The autobiographical nature would have capped those playlists perfectly and erased some of Kokomo's aftertaste.

I love the way the whoo-ooh vocals, surf guitar (Carl?), handclaps, piano and sax each rotate in during the first verse. Love the energy of the acoustic rhythm guitar. But most of all I love Brian's vocal, he's engaged and I've laughed out loud when he sings "it happened I was lookin' through my mama's things" and later when he practically spits out "I lose my in-hi-BI-tions when I move across the stage." And I love Al doing the second verse but it seems like the song was written for Brian to sing.

Also completely agree with CenturyDeprived about both Brian and the group vocal sound. And Brian playing the keyboard with his fist 1:11 in on the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxJfuml6ir8 video makes me laugh too, I guess I'm just easily amused.

I did say I love nearly everything, I'm a fan of Terry Melcher's production but I hate the programmed drums on this. I wish Mark Linett would remix it substituting John Cowsill on real drums. Also the beginning is weirdly abrupt, I have to keep the volume low to start and then raise it when I feel like blasting this on my stereo. Which happens a few times each year.

This is my first post by the way, so hello and I'm sorry for lurking for years and never jumping in before. I'll do better going forward, I've got other unpopular opinions to share! Smiley I'm an old guy and hardcore BB fan since I bought the first release of Surfin' USA.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:56:16 AM by jparis51 » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 01:44:39 PM »

Coming out of my cave to say: one more vote for loving Brian's vocal.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 05:54:21 PM »

Yes, I dig the track -- dig the video too.  Shoulda been a hit.  One more thing -- I always felt a poignancy in Brian singing "I said it rescued me and it'll rescue you".  Sort  of a Higher Power tip of the cap to Brian being up and at 'em and not where he was.  Well for me anyway.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 06:11:07 PM »

Eh, the song is definitely not essential listening, but I kind of dig it's scrappy little stomp beat.  Carl's vocal contributions are quite nice. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 12:02:11 PM »

Brian's vocal is fun, but Al's vocal is like Brian's 1960s vocals.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »

The intro is so great! and Carl...
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »

The Brian vocal reminds me a little of Male Ego but less gruff and more relaxed

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx