gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
637864 Posts in 25496 Topics by 3625 Members - Latest Member: spgass September 23, 2018, 02:11:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Perkins  (Read 310 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2018, 01:32:17 AM »

The thread about Carl and the Beach Boys in the main section made me think that a thread about Carl would be nice, maybe talking about different releases and aspects of his career. Although there are many good releases, I think it is not always easy to find those CDs.

So my first post is this fabulous live CD:

Silver Eagle Cross Country Presents Live: Carl Perkins

1 Intro

2 Matchbox

3 Got My Mojo Working

4 Gone, Gone, Gone

5 Hi-Heel Sneakers

6 Honey Don't

7 Tennessee Waltz

8 Dixie Fried

9 I Got a Woman (actually this is "Mean woman blues")

10 That's All Right

11 Blue Suede Shoes

This is an edited show from 1983 that was broadcasted on radio. Carl actually played two (or maybe three?) shows and they are available on bootleg and during one show he even performed an impromptu "Get it" which he recorded with Paul McCartney for the latter's "Tug of war" album.
Carl and his band (including his sons Stan on drums and Greg on bass) are in excellent form. From the very first note of "Matchbox" the wholw house is rocking and doesn't stop until the end. "Hi-heel sneakers" was performed often by Carl during these times, but with "Tennesse waltz" and "Got my mojo working" we even have a couple of somewhat rare cuts I believe (although he cut a studio recording of "Got my mojo" in the 80s and there is a live version from the early 90s on youtube). I think "Dixie fried" wasn't performed all that often either.
In comparison to his shows at Gilley's (that's for another time) this one has less of a honky tonk feel but that of a New York night club (as I would imagine it) which is probably to be expected as that's what it was.
So, if you'd like to have a great introduction to Carl's live shows and an album you can rock out to you should definitely own this.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 06:58:03 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »

Danke schön, Rocker. You da man! Cheesy

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 07:46:57 PM »

I remember getting Tug of War, and really enjoying "Get it", but I kept reading about another song Carl recorded with McCartney called "My Old Friend". Everytime i'd see a new Carl Perkins album, i'd look for that song, but no luck....until, finally, it appeared on Go Cat Go in 1996. I'd also seen some pics of Carl in the studio with Paul and Denny Laine, jamming on some of the classics. Somewhere i'll bet there is a reel of tape of these 3 guys having fun with some of those great old songs. Probably not likely to be released any time soon, though. Tug of War already got the deluxe treatment, and there was very little in terms of outtakes and rare tracks.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 02:48:35 AM »

I'm only trying   Cheesy

I remember getting Tug of War, and really enjoying "Get it", but I kept reading about another song Carl recorded with McCartney called "My Old Friend". Everytime i'd see a new Carl Perkins album, i'd look for that song, but no luck....until, finally, it appeared on Go Cat Go in 1996. I'd also seen some pics of Carl in the studio with Paul and Denny Laine, jamming on some of the classics. Somewhere i'll bet there is a reel of tape of these 3 guys having fun with some of those great old songs. Probably not likely to be released any time soon, though. Tug of War already got the deluxe treatment, and there was very little in terms of outtakes and rare tracks.

These pictures are the only ones I could find right now. I guess they come frome those session, don't they?

I heard about rumours that "Get it" was actually co-written by Carl. I am not sure right now if Carl mentions that even on the unedited show at Lone Star Café, I'd have to listen to that again. There are certainly parts that sound like they could come from him in that song, but otherwise there is no need to think McCartney couldn't have written them himself. Also I'd think that Carl would've gotten a credit if he really did substantially write a part of that song.

"My old friend" was indeed often talked about by Carl as it seems. He even performed it solo in an interview with Bobby Bare in the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHH-4q8kA00

7:28 mins.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:54:36 PM »

I'm only trying   Cheesy

These pictures are the only ones I could find right now. I guess they come frome those session, don't they?

I heard about rumours that "Get it" was actually co-written by Carl. I am not sure right now if Carl mentions that even on the unedited show at Lone Star Café, I'd have to listen to that again. There are certainly parts that sound like they could come from him in that song, but otherwise there is no need to think McCartney couldn't have written them himself. Also I'd think that Carl would've gotten a credit if he really did substantially write a part of that song.

"My old friend" was indeed often talked about by Carl as it seems. He even performed it solo in an interview with Bobby Bare in the 80s:

Those 2 pics look familiar; there were a few others in the deluxe reissue of Tug of War.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 03:55:46 AM »

Here are two video I only saw a couple of days ago for the first time. Speaking of Carl's outfits, I think he definitely should've gone with the ones seen in the videos rather than the jumpsuits he wore around that time as well.

"Gone, Gone, Gone" - That Nashville Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm37tXgZpd4

"Blue suede shoes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwtxS2NtnR0
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:29:32 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 03:29:53 AM »

I‘d like to talk about Carl´s 1992 album „Friends, family & legends“. The band features Paul Shaffer. I‘m not sure how and where they met the first time but Paul was the bandleader for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame‘s house band and therefore at Carl‘s induction in 1987. Also, Carl appeared on Letterman in 1986 and 1990

Friends Family & Legends

1 Pink Cadillac

2 Birth Of Rock & Roll

3 Book Faded Brown

4 Don't Stop The Music

5 Wild Texas Wind

6 Half The Time

7 Make It Right

8 Godfather Of Rock & Roll

9 Of Love

10 Don't Let Go

As seems to have been one of the problems of Carl not being a commercially top artist, the album features a lot of guest artists, including Chet Atkins, Joan Jett and Charlie Daniels. Thankfully their contributions are not vocally but by adding instruments.
The production is very early 90s when it comes to synth. horns and the overall way the record sounds. The lead vocals seem to have been mastered with the same heavy reverb throughout every song.
During the recording of this album Carl was diagnosed with lung cancer and his vocals seem a little thin on some tracks.

The album opener is a strong version of Springsteen‘s Pink Cadillac . Carl‘s vocals are great and I love the „dreck“ he puts into the performance.
A couple of songs where written or co-written by his kids and some come from outside sources. Except for „Godfather of Rock&Roll“, which is exactly that kind of nostalgia song that for the most part where a mis-use of his writing skills imo, the strongest contributions come from Carl himself. We get a re-recording of „Birth of Rock&Roll“ which was the lead single for the Class of ´55 album in 1985 and back then even got it´s own music video. Unfortunately I can‘t find it on YouTube so here is a contemporary live performance. This song actually works in contrast to „Godfather...“ but I like the 1985 recording better. The new version features more prominent horns, a somewhat grittier vocal and Chet Atkins.

A highlight for me is Carl‘s „Wild Texas wind“ which he re-recorded with Willie Nelson for Perkins‘ last album „Go Cat Go!“ but which also is the title song to a Dolly Parton made-for-TV movie from 1991. She sings a beautiful version in that movie, unfortunately it never was released on record. I updated the wikipedia topic with the info about Carl. The whole movie is on YouTube. Dolly recorded a couple of songs written by Carl like „Silver and gold“ but that‘s for another time.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:28:06 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 06:26:08 AM »

I'm only trying   Cheesy

Those 2 pics look familiar; there were a few others in the deluxe reissue of Tug of War.

I just looked at the "Back on top" boxset on Bear Family's site and you can see that in the booklet there are a couple more pictures from those sessions:

https://www.bear-family.de/perkins-carl-back-on-top-4-cd-box-set.html

EDIT:

BTW, I came across this review of a british show in '64 (probably the tour when Carl got to know the Beatles).

In my opinion, Carl Perkins is the best in the show. No one had really heard of him before he arrived for this tour - which is his first in Britain, but he's winning them over - it's been like that since the show started.

The most touching memory I have of this tour took place in Bournemouth. A number of art students who must have spent all their time designing placards threw them on stage for Carl to sign. There were 20 or 30 of them with different placards for his various numbers. The sketches of Carl's face were fantastically lifelike and he was really moved by the tribute. In fact, he was able to keep one of them and is taking it back to America with him, together with a banner which reads 'Welcome Carl (Beatle-basher) Perkins.' He's really proud of that one.

Carl showed me one of his inventions - a tremelo arm on the head of his guitar, instead of at the bottom. This enables the player to operate the tremelo with his thumb instead of using the whole hand. Fender are very interested in the idea.

When we were at Hammersmith the safety curtain was dropped on Chuck Berry - the audience were crowding onstage, bowing down to him and throwing garlands of flowers.

Liverpool Odeon handbill for Chuck Berry, Swinging Blue Jeans, Carl Perkins, Kingsize Taylor and The AnimalsAt one of the parties on the tour we met Jimmy Tarbuck. He's got a fantastic sense of humour. A man was commenting on the green and yellow dress a girl wore. "That's a nice shade," he said. "Let's see your teeth again, love" Jimmy quipped.

The Animals have always gone down very well. At some places they've had to work very hard to get an audience - but when they have to, the lead singer Eric, will rip off his shirt, bounce about the stage - and do anything to win them over.

Although the lads back Chuck Berry on stage they've never had a rehearsal with him. He came in one day, played half an hour of twelve-bar blues - and that was that.

We will all be remaining in Britain, and following this tour we have six weeks of ballroom dates.

Two days prior to arriving in England we recorded ten tracks with Franklyn Boyd of Aberbach Music - and a new single is due for release from Decca early next month.

Source: http://www.triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/archives/carlperkins-show.shtml

There seems to be a bootleg recording of a show from this time. I have never heard it, did any of you?  The title seems to be "Carl Lee Perkins -- British Tour 1964 (Doctor Kollector, 1984)"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 11:46:03 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 05:02:38 AM »

Here's an amazing song by Carl from 1972, "The Trip". I totally forgot about it, but what a gem! And imo more prove that with the right management he could've made it big in the country and later country rock field. "Cotton top" and "Me without you" were small hits, "Restless" a bigger one. With more promotion I think there was definitely an audience for his new songs.
Anyway, enjoy this. It's perfect for such a late-summer day as we have it today in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8krkjtDPfN8

Unfortunately only a neelde-drop- It's available in great sound on the "Back on top"-boxset.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 10:06:18 PM »

Here's an amazing song by Carl from 1972, "The Trip". I totally forgot about it, but what a gem! And imo more prove that with the right management he could've made it big in the country and later country rock field. "Cotton top" and "Me without you" were small hits, "Restless" a bigger one. With more promotion I think there was definitely an audience for his new songs.
Anyway, enjoy this. It's perfect for such a late-summer day as we have it today in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8krkjtDPfN8

Unfortunately only a neelde-drop- It's available in great sound on the "Back on top"-boxset.
There's an ad on spotify now that uses Restless. I don't know who's doing it, but glad one of Carl's best songs is getting exposure.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx