gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:21:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what did Glen Campbell do on stage with the BB's?  (Read 8174 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 01:03:40 AM »

I've never seen any videos of Glen C. with the BB's, and I'm curious about what he did onstage. Obviously, he was technically replacing Brian, but...

1).  Was he playing bass?  I'm just wondering because he was normally a guitarist.  I suppose that they could have had Al play bass and Glen guitar. In one of the few pictures I've seen with them on stage, I can't see the instrument well, but from his fingers, it looks like he's playing a chord, which would suggest a guitar and not a bass. 

2).  Did he sing Brian's leads?  After Bruce joined, they seemed to have Bruce sing Brian's falsetto backup vox, but Al or Carl handled his leads.  Does anybody know if they did the same with Glen? 

My first ever concert was the Beach Boys  in May 1965 and I was a total fan at 14.  My mom dropped me off at the Springfield Municipal Auditorium to see my heroes.  Glen Campbell was playing bass in Brian's absence.  About mid way in the show, Mike introduced Glenn who sung the song "Tomorrow Never Comes," an Ernest Tubb song!  The set was very similar to the Beach Boys Concert album with the addition of "Do You Wanna Dance" and some other current songs.  Dennis was presented with a bed sheet with the painted words "Dennis the Sexy Drummer."

That's so cool that you got to see them with Glen! Thanks for the share. Do you remember if the other guys played on the song as well or was it only Glen and his guitar?
Glen recorded "Tomorrow never comes" for an album. Great song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LILjLzjpxB8   

And it was Glen's version that Elvis used as inspiration for his recording in 1970 for "Elvis Country":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVyOm-D94J4

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 03:59:34 AM »

Right that was May 13 1965 and I have an interview the boys did after the show (I think I excerpted it in my book with Jon). Bruce has no recollection of this but probably due to other commitments he didn’t take over full time till May 19-glen played most early May 1965 shows including Birmingham with the Stones, Springfield, Boston And New Haven. Everyone I’ve talked to who saw them at this time recalls him getting a quick solo spot-it’s great that you recall the actual song! I like Elvis 1970 (released 1971) version myself
Azmo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »

“That's so cool that you got to see them with Glen! Thanks for the share. Do you remember if the other guys played on the song as well or was it only Glen and his guitar?
Glen recorded "Tomorrow never comes" for an album. Great song!”

Everyone stayed on stage and backed Glen during his solo.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 05:52:35 PM »

He sure looks to be singing a lead on this one. Some great pictures. Good find!

It looks like hes really excited to be playing with The Beach Boys. Like reeealy excited.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 07:42:19 PM »

He sure looks to be singing a lead on this one. Some great pictures. Good find!

It looks like hes really excited to be playing with The Beach Boys. Like reeealy excited.
Well, what did you want him to do, jump around and scream with joy that "i'm just so garsh darned happy to be hear with the Beach Boys, yee-haw!" He's probably singing his solo here, and it's not exactly a party type of song.
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2018, 03:48:55 AM »

Whooosh.

It's hard here sometimes  ('scuse the pun) ....
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2018, 05:00:04 AM »

“That's so cool that you got to see them with Glen! Thanks for the share. Do you remember if the other guys played on the song as well or was it only Glen and his guitar?
Glen recorded "Tomorrow never comes" for an album. Great song!”

Everyone stayed on stage and backed Glen during his solo.

Thanks, Azmo! Really interesting to hear about that

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2018, 12:32:12 PM »

Whooosh.

Mr. Campbell, your package.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »

I wonder what Glen thought about Mike's corny stage banter and dance moves.

Also, curious to think about: did Glen ever see the BBs perform live (as an audience member, or as a VIP side stage) before he joined the band? Same question about Bruce.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »

Whooosh.

Mr. Campbell, your package.

I hope nobody starts a thread called Beach Boys Moose Knuckle Examples
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2018, 04:10:10 PM »

Bruce saw the BBs perform a few times before he joined them. He was in Hawaii in June 1963 when they played there and that was when he met them. He was on the same bill as them in Hawaii in July 1964
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx