gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:36:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: what did Glen Campbell do on stage with the BB's?  (Read 8173 times)
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:00:13 AM »

I've never seen any videos of Glen C. with the BB's, and I'm curious about what he did onstage. Obviously, he was technically replacing Brian, but...

1).  Was he playing bass?  I'm just wondering because he was normally a guitarist.  I suppose that they could have had Al play bass and Glen guitar. In one of the few pictures I've seen with them on stage, I can't see the instrument well, but from his fingers, it looks like he's playing a chord, which would suggest a guitar and not a bass. 

2).  Did he sing Brian's leads?  After Bruce joined, they seemed to have Bruce sing Brian's falsetto backup vox, but Al or Carl handled his leads.  Does anybody know if they did the same with Glen? 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 02:12:05 AM »

AFAIK Glen played bass and sang at least some of Brian's high voice parts. Since Bruce and Al shared some of those parts I could see the same concept executed while Glen was there.

Source: https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/glen-campbell-plays-last-show-beach-boy/

Source: https://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/2016/04/01/beatles-land-calgary

Source: http://kuplramblings.blogspot.com/2017/08/he-may-not-miss-us-but-were-sure-gonna.html

Source: https://twitter.com/beachboyslegacy/status/895163020883656704

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/archivesmontreal/39465353880

Source: http://archivesdemontreal.com/2018/04/09/les-beach-boys-et-jb-and-the-playboys-a-larena-maurice-richard-19-fevrier-1965/08_vm94-s32-013/

Source: https://www.gettyimages.fr/album/7-things-you-might-not-know-about-glen-campbell--_rLSL0Qf-Ei6a4IgR-yARA#/singer-glen-campbell-of-the-rock-and-roll-band-the-beach-boys-in-picture-id74253655

He's definitely holding a - probably Al's - Strat on the last picture while Al is playing bass.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:15:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 07:29:15 AM »

He was also given a short banjo showcase at some of their shows.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »

Fantastic pics Rocker. I've never seen most of them.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »

Fantastic pics Rocker. I've never seen most of them.

Yeah, some were new to me as well. I only did a quick search on Google.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 10:56:04 AM »

What the hell are Glen and Dennis suggesting in that picture?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 11:25:29 AM »

What the hell are Glen and Dennis suggesting in that picture?

LOL LOL I don't know but I think Glen was measuring the size of something and Denny said "bullsh*t Glen, it's more like this!"  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 11:36:15 AM »

The glory days!! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »

Real shame that there appears to be no concert recordings from Glen's tenure with the road band...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 12:21:45 PM »

He sure looks to be singing a lead on this one. Some great pictures. Good find!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »

"Guess I'm Dumb"?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 12:58:23 PM »

Disclaimer: Some of these images and info might be in Ian Rusten's website and book, I don't have access to check before posting, but for this discussion -

This series of images and material is from a concert played Jan 2, 1965 hosted by radio station WGH in Virginia (hence the banners and advertising behind the band)

First, the keeper of the lot - Glen taking over the drum kit most likely doing what Brian would do when he took over the skins for Dennis' solo spotlight, whether it was The Wanderer or Do You Wanna Dance or whenever else Denny came to the mics at front:

Next, the WGH survey (taken from a WGH history site) which came out after the concert. Note the photo of Glen and Carl sharing the mic to the left while Al appears to be taking a lead (?). The write-up on the survey says both concerts sold out, and were a big success:

Finally a promo shot of the Beach Boys backstage with Glen, and the team of WGH disc jockeys (taken from one of the DJ's personal sites/collections)

Two points:

The Beach Boys seemed to be *very* popular in this region and on this particular radio station WGH. Not only going by the copy on that survey above, but on subsequent surveys from this time, strangely enough the album "In Concert" was topping the station's survey chart for week after week, even fending off the Beatles. Their end of '65 top album winner went to Beach Boys Today, again topping the Beatles who were unstoppable in '65. So this region was very, very big into the Beach Boys judging by their literature which was coming out weekly.

The photo of Glen on drums...This was included in an online auction, maybe 3 years ago, of a set of 10 color photos of the band with Glen playing the WGH show(s). Did anyone else copy or save the set from the auction's listing? I have them somewhere...but cannot find them. It would be cool to see what was posted again if anyone else grabbed them at the time.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:34:52 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »

Another guitar related point to bring up: You see Carl playing what was an early prototype of a Fender Electric XII...a rare prototype as you'll notice some details and graphics looking different from the production model that would eventually hit the stores. It's seen in photos from other gigs at this time too. Wondering what happened to it, and why Carl is pictured with the DJ's holding his more familiar Rickenbacker 12-string electric.

It seemed Carl would switch back and forth as shown in some of the photos above, although with a full line of Fender gear and what would eventually be a Fender endorsement, I'm surprised to not see him play the "matching" white Fender 12-string more often. Just rambling thoughts.

Glen could be singing any of Brian's parts in the photo, it looks like Mike is taking a break in the back while whatever song it is was being performed. And scratch my previous comment about Al taking a lead, that just seemed to be his spot on stage as shown in multiple photos. The single "Help Me Rhonda" wasn't even cut until the week after this Jan 65 Virginia gig, so chances are he's not doing a lead in that photo after all. Or is he?  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »

That gig was in my hometown!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »

Al could have been singing one of Brian's leads at the solo mic - like "Surfer Girl" (although Denny would often take the "solo" bridge part on that in those days).

Regarding Carl's 12-strings - I don't recall seeing (until now) shots of Carl's Rickenbacker with Glen in the lineup - and I'd assumed that was because his Rick 12 was stolen in Omaha during the band's late December '64 appearance here (with Glen). I figured the reason for him being seen with the Fender 12 in those early '65 shots was because it took a while for him to get a replacement Rick (I was guessing they'd be on back order, due to the huge demand for them starting in August '64, when "A Hard Day's Night" hit movie screens around the globe). And, to my ears, the 12-string intro on "Please Let Me Wonder" (cut that January) sounds more like a solid-body (Fender) sound then a semi-hollow (Rick) sound. On the other hand, they cut the track for what became "California Girls" in early April, and to me that sounds more like a Rick (despite Al Jardine remembering it as the Fender 12 on Sirius recently) - and it very well could be, since that session was April 6th, and the following day they taped an appearance for "Shindig", performing "Help Me, Rhonda" - with Carl playing a Rick 12. So I was assuming that in January, Carl was Rick-less and played the Fender 12 on "Please Let Me Wonder", but by April, he'd acquired a replacement Rick. However, since Carl's seen with a Rick 12 in some January '65 shots, that theory is at least partially blown. He could very well have acquired the Fender 12 as a temporary replacement for the stolen Rick 12 (or perhaps he already had it as a backup), but he apparently received his new Rick 12 earlier than I thought.

And I doubt that Beach Boys Today! would have won any end of '64 top album winner polls...considering that it wasn't released until March '65!  Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 01:33:56 PM »

1965, of course. A typo on my part now corrected

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »

I am pretty positive the big shot of them in striped shirts is from the second Virginia Beach show on May 12 1965, the last tour with glen in the band. The January photo from the survey is in my book.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »

Dont know if it helps, but Carl played tbe Rickenbacker as far as I can recollect on tv in UK in late Niv/ early December 64. I saw it at the time....and am fairly sure mention was made in music press of it being like the one in Hard Days Night
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »

Right but what cman is discussing is that after the European tour the BBs, now with glen, were in Omaha and their guitars were stolen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 02:08:19 PM »

Sidebar on the Rickenbacker issue: The one pictured with the DJ's (that's WGH DJ and TV host Dick Lamb strumming Carl's guitar BTW) has the rounded off, stubby cutaway under the neck and no binding around the body. The one which I'm assuming was stolen was the guitar he played on I Get Around on Sullivan, the more pointy lower cutaway and binding around the body.

It's much like George Harrison's Rickenbacker 12-strings: That first iconic one he got in New York when they played Sullivan was the 2nd one ever made, a model made in 1963, and also had the pointy cutaway and more ornate binding. This was later replaced by the rounded cutaway model without the binding which was considered the "1965" model year. It seems Rickenbacker changed the design for '65.

So Carl and George Harrison kind of followed the same path regarding which models they played going into 1965, I have to think it may have been a deliberate "push" from Rickenbacker to get their new design seen by all those fans to translate into sales.

But what is confusing beyond that is how Carl can be seen in '66 and in one famous Smile studio session at Western #3 control room playing the pointy/bound model Rickenbacker. And there are concert photos of him playing that design yet again from this later era. Did he either recover the lost guitar, or did he get what was an earlier design from Rickenbacker to replace it? I'd think he'd be playing the rounded off model in the '66 shots since he had obviously gotten that updated design by Jan 1965 when they played this WGH gig (and others).

I'd also question why he didn't use the Fender Electric XII...Again just like Harrison, Fender had basically given him a prototype model which was not what eventually came out to the public, and it was done I'm almost 99.9% sure in a matching white color specifically to go with the Beach Boys lineup of Fender instruments at that time. I'm pretty sure they had a Fender endorsement too as a lot of people remember Carl being one of the first major artists to be seen playing a Jaguar - The model did not take off and Carl was one of the only name players to be using one in '64. I'm thinking Fender wanted Carl to use this to advertise a new 12-string model just as Rickenbacker had done with Harrison's first 12-string. And I've heard from guitarists who were playing or learning at the time that the cover of "In Concert" became something of an iconic image for young bands, who wanted to aspire to that BB's look of having matching white Fenders on stage when they made it in the business, haha. Fender was, of course, trying to jump on the market Rickenbacker and George Harrison almost single-handedly created.

Another irony...One of the more identifiable 12-string players at the time who actually cut an album specifically for 12-string guitar (acoustic)...was Glen Campbell! "The Astounding 12-String Guitar Of Glen Campbell", produced by Nik Venet.  And he spent most of his time on stage with the BB's thumping away on bass. Here is Glen playing a Rick 12-string on Shivaree in May '65, just showing what he did on that instrument: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOJ_NARFLz4

Another conundrum in the whole saga. One of the hottest 6-string guitarists in LA and one of the better-known 12-string players at the time mostly played neither on stage with the BB's.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:09:28 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »

Not to sidebar too much with the Rickenbackers...but it's easy to spot the guitar which I'm assuming is the one which got stolen at the end of 1964.

The difference is it's a Rose-Morris "1993" model Rickenbacker. It has violin-styled F-holes as the soundholes rather than the trademark Rickenbacker wing-shaped holes. The Rose-Morris guitars were made specifically for the European market by Rickenbacker. Like an export model.

Very, very rare guitars.

Without getting too much more into the saga, ignore what I said earlier about Carl getting that stolen Rose-Morris guitar back. The Smile session photo shows him with a regular US model Rickenbacker, different model than these shows with Glen, but *not* the one which got stolen. Carl's Rose-Morris "1993" which was seen on television and in concert throughout 1964 is apparently missing to this day. (?)

People thought he bought it in England, since they were so rare. Apparently Carl and David bought their Rose-Morris Rickenbackers at a shop in Hawthorne. As of what was posted here back in 2010, Jeff Foskett was the new/latest owner of David's Rickenbacker after David sold his in the 60's.

And Carl's - unless new info short of the guitar itself hiding in plain sight in a collection somewhere can be turned up - is still missing from 1964.

Go figure.  Smiley

Obviously Carl got Rickenbacker's 1965 year model (the rounded off model, no F-holes) to replace his Rose-Morris "1993" after it got stolen in late '64.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 03:11:31 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 03:40:18 PM »

1965, of course. A typo on my part now corrected

So great to see the Boys at the top of a year-end album list for 1965!  Interesting that their only appearance on the same station's Top 30 singles list is towards the middle, with "Help Me Rhonda" (and yet no "California Girls"), amidst a sea of Beatles and Stones hits - which indicates that Virginia listeners, at least, were hip enough to dig the sophisticated rock 'n' roll artistry and introspective ballads of Today! (more so than Summer Days, which charted higher nationally), to a greater extent than that year's Beatles albums - even though the Beatles and Stones did better there with singles!  Could it be that the hipper, "older" teens (and early 20 somethings) were mature enough to realize that album rock was the wave of the future, while their teeny-bopper siblings were the ones buying all the singles?  Intriguing (if nonetheless pointless) to ponder....
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »

I am pretty positive the big shot of them in striped shirts is from the second Virginia Beach show on May 12 1965, the last tour with glen in the band. The January photo from the survey is in my book.

If so, this gets even more interesting, because it means that Carl was using the two 12-strings interchanably at that point...with the Fender XII making an onstage appearnce as late as May, even though his second Rick (with the rounded body and no binding) was used in use by early April. Maybe the Fender was kept as a backup, and something (like a string breaking) happened to the Rick prior to that Virignia Beach shot.
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »

Guitarfool2002 - Thanks for your posts here...

If only I had a tenth of your knowledge!

Any suggestions why the Fender Jaguar didn't actually 'catch on'?
Azmo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 11:06:49 PM »

I've never seen any videos of Glen C. with the BB's, and I'm curious about what he did onstage. Obviously, he was technically replacing Brian, but...

1).  Was he playing bass?  I'm just wondering because he was normally a guitarist.  I suppose that they could have had Al play bass and Glen guitar. In one of the few pictures I've seen with them on stage, I can't see the instrument well, but from his fingers, it looks like he's playing a chord, which would suggest a guitar and not a bass. 

2).  Did he sing Brian's leads?  After Bruce joined, they seemed to have Bruce sing Brian's falsetto backup vox, but Al or Carl handled his leads.  Does anybody know if they did the same with Glen? 

My first ever concert was the Beach Boys  in May 1965 and I was a total fan at 14.  My mom dropped me off at the Springfield Municipal Auditorium to see my heroes.  Glen Campbell was playing bass in Brian's absence.  About mid way in the show, Mike introduced Glenn who sung the song "Tomorrow Never Comes," an Ernest Tubb song!  The set was very similar to the Beach Boys Concert album with the addition of "Do You Wanna Dance" and some other current songs.  Dennis was presented with a bed sheet with the painted words "Dennis the Sexy Drummer."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx