gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:48:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis’s Women  (Read 12675 times)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »

Patti Reagan?

According to her book, yes.

I met Patti at Ed Roach's and Trisha Campo's (then Roach) home around '72 or so(?), and she was quite open about her relationship with Dennis. She repeated a really funny story about something Dennis said to her, but I haven't read her book, so don't know if I should repeat it. I believe her dad approved his burial at sea that was unusual for someone out of the military.

As far as older women, that was fine with him, too. ;-) There are several of those stories, at least one of them being famous. I have no idea about Princess Margaret, but if so, they probably had fun. Dennis liked women and the favor was returned.

Many of the temper explosions I heard from Grillo's office on Ivar in '69-'70, had to do with lawsuits and Dennis's exploits. He was very, very busy.

I don't doubt MTaber's estimate of #'s, nor the 5 days' off ;-) - good one.

Dennis was prolific in so many ways, but when he was in love with a particular woman, he was madly in love, that was fun to watch.

He was one of a kind.

Thanks for the recollections, Debbie. It makes me think that Denny might have had a more prolific music (and/or acting) career if he wasn't as busy gettin' busy!  LOL

Well, there's that! Then again, I think some of the women inspired his best music. I did also get to see Dennis at Christine McVie's. He was genuinely awed by her talents (she was a sculptor as well as a recording artist) and  was proud to introduce her to brother Brian.  Christine was amazing.

I know a lot of people are a bit hostile to Karen. I didn't feel that way. She was highly complex, had a very difficult, abusive childhood and was really funny. Dennis described her (during a bad period) as "really entertaining." They both were. And they both "gave as good as they got". Later in her life she was an animal activist.

Not long ago, I was watching a DVD of the oft-forgotten '70s TV show, Harry-O (starring David Janssen)... anyway, in the pilot episode, I saw that Karen had an acting role, and I nearly did a spit-take. Made me wonder how many TV show/movie sets Denny may have visited with Karen around that time.

I'm not certain how many sets he visited. Obviously, she was on the BB special with the SNL cast, and in "Almost Summer" - Sean Penn's break out movie.

I used to hear the stories about her visiting the studio in Santa Monica and those were not dull events. I happened to be driving past one day doing an errand for work (seriously) when she jumped out of her sea foam green Mercedes, blonde hair flying, and she was hard to miss - the perfect look at that time.  Chris Kable or Ed Roach would know a lot more.
\
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2018, 03:24:30 PM »

Patti Reagan?

I met Patti at Ed Roach's and Trisha Campo's (then Roach) home around '72 or so(?), and she was quite open about her relationship with Dennis. She repeated a really funny story about something Dennis said to her, but I haven't read her book, so don't know if I should repeat it. I believe her dad approved his burial at sea that was unusual for someone out of the military.

As far as older women, that was fine with him, too. ;-) There are several of those stories, at least one of them being famous. I have no idea about Princess Margaret, but if so, they probably had fun. Dennis liked women and the favor was returned.

Many of the temper explosions I heard from Grillo's office on Ivar in '69-'70, had to do with lawsuits and Dennis's exploits. He was very, very busy.

Dennis was prolific in so many ways, but when he was in love with a particular woman, he was madly in love, that was fun to watch.

He was one of a kind.

Thanks for the recollections, Debbie. It makes me think that Denny might have had a more prolific music (and/or acting) career if he wasn't as busy gettin' busy!  LOL

Well, there's that! Then again, I think some of the women inspired his best music. I did also get to see Dennis at Christine McVie's. He was genuinely awed by her talents (she was a sculptor as well as a recording artist) and  was proud to introduce her to brother Brian.  Christine was amazing.

I know a lot of people are a bit hostile to Karen. I didn't feel that way. She was highly complex, had a very difficult, abusive childhood and was really funny. Dennis described her (during a bad period) as "really entertaining." They both were. And they both "gave as good as they got". Later in her life she was an animal activist.

Not long ago, I was watching a DVD of the oft-forgotten '70s TV show, Harry-O (starring David Janssen)... anyway, in the pilot episode, I saw that Karen had an acting role, and I nearly did a spit-take. Made me wonder how many TV show/movie sets Denny may have visited with Karen around that time.

I'm not certain how many sets he visited. Obviously, she was on the BB special with the SNL cast, and in "Almost Summer" - Sean Penn's break out movie.

I used to hear the stories about her visiting the studio in Santa Monica and those were not dull events. I happened to be driving past one day doing an errand for work (seriously) when she jumped out of her sea foam green Mercedes, blonde hair flying, and she was hard to miss - the perfect look at that time.  Chris Kable or Ed Roach would know a lot more.
\

I love hearing these little stories, thanks Debbie. Do you have any other BBs-related memories involving Santa Monica where the studio was? (other than the oft-told Dennis stories hanging out at Chez Jay's). Did the band members ever visit the 3rd street promenade or the pier, or any other places nearby? I'd tend to think that being there so much, they'd probably have some favorite Santa Monica haunts, or at least order food from some local joints...
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »

Patti Reagan?

He was one of a kind.

Thanks for the recollections, Debbie. It makes me think that Denny might have had a more prolific music (and/or acting) career if he wasn't as busy gettin' busy!  LOL

Well, there's that! Then again, I think some of the women inspired his best music. I did also get to see Dennis at Christine McVie's. He was genuinely awed by her talents (she was a sculptor as well as a recording artist) and  was proud to introduce her to brother Brian.  Christine was amazing.

I used to hear the stories about her visiting the studio in Santa Monica and those were not dull events. I happened to be driving past one day doing an errand for work (seriously) when she jumped out of her sea foam green Mercedes, blonde hair flying, and she was hard to miss - the perfect look at that time.  Chris Kable or Ed Roach would know a lot more.
\

I love hearing these little stories, thanks Debbie. Do you have any other BBs-related memories involving Santa Monica where the studio was? (other than the oft-told Dennis stories hanging out at Chez Jay's). Did the band members ever visit the 3rd street promenade or the pier, or any other places nearby? I'd tend to think that being there so much, they'd probably have some favorite Santa Monica haunts, or at least order food from some local joints...

The Promenade wasn't exactly the place to be during those times. It was handy due to the parking structures, but otherwise, not a cool place. Where Dennis used to eat in the early days when he was recording at Brother Studios was a French restaurant up Ocean Ave (I just found it online - jogged my memory) Belle-Vue. I hired the hostess from that restaurant as one of my receptionists - a lovely French-Canadian woman who was older than my mother, and she absolutely loved Dennis (of course). Her beautiful daughter, Chantal, was my age and a major success story as an agent in Hollywood. Her mother made me the best crepes ever.

Living in that area at that time always made a person 6-or-less degrees from pretty much anyone.

I forgot to mention Trisha Campo telling stories of Dennis giving his ETA at Brother Records (he was drivin
g from Malibu) and everyone would think, "he can't possibly make it in 10 min./whatever." He always managed to make it when he said. He was the master of Pacific Coast Hwy!

Another great one. A friend and I were opening fan mail at the Ivar offices (okay, I was working) she apparently contacted Dennis and gave him the phone # where we were staying. She answered the phone and came back and told me that she had set up a date with Dennis. When all the details were handled he asked her, "oh, BTW, which one are you?" Yeah, I'm thinking he wasn't that picky  LOL
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:21:43 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »

Patti Reagan?

He was one of a kind.

Thanks for the recollections, Debbie. It makes me think that Denny might have had a more prolific music (and/or acting) career if he wasn't as busy gettin' busy!  LOL

Well, there's that! Then again, I think some of the women inspired his best music. I did also get to see Dennis at Christine McVie's. He was genuinely awed by her talents (she was a sculptor as well as a recording artist) and  was proud to introduce her to brother Brian.  Christine was amazing.

I used to hear the stories about her visiting the studio in Santa Monica and those were not dull events. I happened to be driving past one day doing an errand for work (seriously) when she jumped out of her sea foam green Mercedes, blonde hair flying, and she was hard to miss - the perfect look at that time.  Chris Kable or Ed Roach would know a lot more.
\

The Promenade wasn't exactly the place to be during those times. It was handy due to the parking structures, but otherwise, not a cool place. Where Dennis used to eat in the early days when he was recording at Brother Studios was a French restaurant up Ocean Ave (I just found it online - jogged my memory) Belle-Vue. I hired the hostess from that restaurant as one of my receptionists - a lovely French-Canadian woman who was older than my mother, and she absolutely loved Dennis (of course). Her beautiful daughter, Chantal, was my age and a major success story as an agent in Hollywood. Her mother made me the best crepes ever.

Living in that area at that time always made a person 6-or-less degrees from pretty much anyone.

I forgot to mention Trisha Campo telling stories of Dennis giving his ETA at Brother Records (he was drivin
g from Malibu) and everyone would think, "he can't possibly make it in 10 min./whatever." He always managed to make it when he said. He was the master of Pacific Coast Hwy!

Another great one. A friend and I were opening fan mail at the Ivar offices (okay, I was working) she apparently contacted Dennis and gave him the phone # where we were staying. She answered the phone and came back and told me that she had set up a date with Dennis. When all the details were handled he asked her, "oh, BTW, which one are you?" Yeah, I'm thinking he wasn't that picky  LOL

Love that story, thanks Debbie. The exterior location of where the Belle-Vue restaurant was is also a filming location from the film National Lampoon's Vacation (near the end of the movie where the Family Truckster wagon drives by it), next time you see the film, look for it:

PS - I just pictured a BBs version of that film, with Murry as the Clark Griswold character, and Brian, Denny, and Carl sitting in the back seat causing mayhem  LOL

For yet another walk down memory lane of that intersection where Denny frequented the restaurant, check this out:

http://www.perrymasontvseries.com/wiki/index.php/Extras/Show224
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:36:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2018, 04:56:22 PM »

Patti Reagan?

He was one of a kind.

\

Another great one. A friend and I were opening fan mail at the Ivar offices (okay, I was working) she apparently contacted Dennis and gave him the phone # where we were staying. She answered the phone and came back and told me that she had set up a date with Dennis. When all the details were handled he asked her, "oh, BTW, which one are you?" Yeah, I'm thinking he wasn't that picky  LOL

Love that story, thanks Debbie. The exterior location of where the Belle-Vue restaurant was is also a filming location from the film National Lampoon's Vacation (near the end of the movie where the Family Truckster wagon drives by it), next time you see the film, look for it:

PS - I just pictured a BBs version of that film, with Murry as the Clark Griswold character, and Brian, Denny, and Carl sitting in the back seat causing mayhem  LOL

For yet another walk down memory lane of that intersection where Denny frequented the restaurant, check this out:

http://www.perrymasontvseries.com/wiki/index.php/Extras/Show224

Memory Lane, it is. I never ate at Belle-Vue, but Dennis obviously loved it, just a few blocks from Brother Studios. I absolutely loved Chez Jay - funky with great food. I think that became Denny's late-night haunt (maybe literally?). I think people love envisioning him there. Who knows? I understand, people also "saw' him on Pacific Coast Highway. Can't say I had that experience, but I don't deny the experiences of others.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2018, 07:18:47 PM »

I don’t think anyone’s commented on the series ‘Goliath’ where Chez Jay is the hangout for the lawyer Billy Bob Thornton plays. I’ve only watched the first episode but it’s a main setting for the character.

https://www.moviefone.com/2016/10/14/david-e-kelley-goliath-interview/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »

I don’t think anyone’s commented on the series ‘Goliath’ where Chez Jay is the hangout for the lawyer Billy Bob Thornton plays. I’ve only watched the first episode but it’s a main setting for the character.

https://www.moviefone.com/2016/10/14/david-e-kelley-goliath-interview/

Whoah, that's super cool!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2018, 01:04:29 AM »

Patti Reagan?

He was one of a kind.

\

Sean Penn was not in Almost Summer.  Karen was, that was 1978.  Penn was in Taps in 1981.  The movie you are thinking of was Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982).  He played the surfer dude, Jeff Spicoli.  It was considered his break through movie.  You got that part right.  I thought Taps was better.  My favorite of his early roles was Falcon and the Snowman.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 10:54:33 AM »

Patti Reagan?

He was one of a kind.

\

Sean Penn was not in Almost Summer.  Karen was, that was 1978.  Penn was in Taps in 1981.  The movie you are thinking of was Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982).  He played the surfer dude, Jeff Spicoli.  It was considered his break through movie.  You got that part right.  I thought Taps was better.  My favorite of his early roles was Falcon and the Snowman.

I wonder if any of the Beach Boys, especially Denny, ever saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Especially since the surfer dude, Spicoli, was such a comical stereotype of the surf image in Southern Cali. Wonder if Denny would've gotten a laugh out of that. I know Ed Roach said Denny saw E.T. in the theater in the same year.

Brian might have enjoyed Fast Times for its inclusion of a Phil Spector Christmas song. One thing that's always struck me as chillingly odd is that Lana Clarkson, who Phil Spector shot and killed, has a small role (as Mr. Sanka's gorgeous wife) in the same film that has a Phil Spector song on the soundtrack.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:55:04 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 05:57:59 PM »

See Dennis and Karen all glammed up!

http://www.wabi-sabi-me.com/2011/04/rumours-complexity-of-memories-and-love.html

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »

Those are some great pics, thanks for sharing. I was trying to read the small magazine text, but don't think it stated what I'm about to ask... does anyone know what car that is which Denny and Karen are posed with? And was that one of his actual cars?
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 07:06:15 PM »

One time i saw a short clip of an interview with Karen from when she was older, must've been the 1990's....i forget where i saw it (in a youtube vid maybe?) but does anyone know where to find the whole thing?
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »

Plus a custom t-shirt.... Smokin
Wasn't there a car with "Golden Penetrators" painted on it?  I think I read in the Gaines book that it was parked at Gregg Jakobson's house.

If so, membership would include access to a "Custom Machine" ;-)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 11:49:35 AM »

Wasn't there a car with "Golden Penetrators" painted on it?  I think I read in the Gaines book that it was parked at Gregg Jakobson's house.

I'd love to think one day this car will show up on Craigslist, with the faded/rusted "Golden Penetrators" logo, described ineptly by a seller who has no idea what the origins are.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »

I'd love to think one day this car will show up on Craigslist, with the faded/rusted "Golden Penetrators" logo, described ineptly by a seller who has no idea what the origins are.
Hahaha, we should watch L.A craigslist closely! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 12:58:23 PM »

Wasn't there a car with "Golden Penetrators" painted on it?  I think I read in the Gaines book that it was parked at Gregg Jakobson's house.

Hahaha, we should watch L.A craigslist closely! Cool Guy

Wouldn't it be great if someone discovers that Denny secretly carved a "Golden Penetrators" logo into the inner trunk of the '55 Chevy when he did Two-Lane Blacktop, and someone spots this "easter egg" decades later upon inspecting the car?  LOL
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:59:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »

Unbelievable use of the song Pacific Ocean Blues in Season 2 of Goliath!  Can't find it right now, but pretty sure it's on YouTube
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »

Unbelievable use of the song Pacific Ocean Blues in Season 2 of Goliath!  Can't find it right now, but pretty sure it's on YouTube

So great, Ed.

I wonder, what the earliest instance of a Denny song licensed in film/TV? Perhaps it was Forever on Full House? (Or was the original Sunflower version of that song ever heard on the show?)

And what was the 1st time any songs from POB were licensed in film/TV?

So great that these songs are finally getting out there via current media.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »

So great, Ed.

I wonder, what the earliest instance of a Denny song licensed in film/TV? Perhaps it was Forever on Full House? (Or was the original Sunflower version of that song ever heard on the show?)

And what was the 1st time any songs from POB were licensed in film/TV?

So great that these songs are finally getting out there via current media.

Can't say for sure if it was the first time for a POB song to be licensed in such a way, but remember that "River Song" turned up in "Marley and Me" a decade ago.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2018, 05:03:02 PM »

Patti Reagan?

He was one of a kind.

\

Sean Penn was not in Almost Summer.  Karen was, that was 1978.  Penn was in Taps in 1981.  The movie you are thinking of was Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982).  He played the surfer dude, Jeff Spicoli.  It was considered his break through movie.  You got that part right.  I thought Taps was better.  My favorite of his early roles was Falcon and the Snowman.

Thx for the correction. I do pretty well off the top of my head on personal experiences, not so much other details unless I google them!  Grin
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »

Ed - so glad to see you commenting. You're the guy who really knows it all.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »

Season 2 episode 2 for those with Amazon Prime

https://www.tunefind.com/show/goliath/season-2/64432
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2018, 07:30:09 PM »

Patti Reagan?

He was one of a kind.

I saw Karen in a minor role on an episode of Kojak (pre-Dennis ... maybe '74-ish?), playing John Ritter's girlfriend. Super cool
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:54:52 PM by DonnyL » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »

Patti Reagan?

He was one of a kind.

I saw Karen in a minor role on an episode of Kojak (pre-Dennis ... maybe '74-ish?), playing John Ritter's girlfriend. Super cool

Cool find. And of course, 15+ years later, John Ritter was in the epic masterpiece of film, Problem Child, with title theme song by none other than The Beach Boys. The circle is complete!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:05:06 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2018, 10:58:50 PM »

You forgot Americathon Smiley

I actually like John Ritter a lot ... Problem Child (the song or movie), not so much ha

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx