gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:43:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: How do you rate the entire Brian Wilson discography?
1 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
3 - 2 (15.4%)
4 - 9 (69.2%)
5 - 2 (15.4%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discuss & Rate Brian Wilson Songs Day by Day  (Read 95533 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 08, 2019, 03:13:36 AM »

Your ratings for Cabin Essence:
1-0 vote
2-0 vote
3-2 votes
4-0 vote
5-6 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 08, 2019, 03:14:09 AM »

Today's song is Wonderful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2TNisSSLuo
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 08, 2019, 08:14:28 AM »

Love love love it.

Brian sings so poignantly on this track, and the melding of the trumpet, harmonies, and the harpsichord (even if its a MIDI harpsichord) works perfectly. The fake harpsichord actually gives the album more whimsy - the original is almost creepy (although still beautiful) whereas the MIDI version has this bright charm to it that isn't on the '66 version.

5/5

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 08, 2019, 09:50:29 AM »

What can one say about this incredible track whether it be the original(my favorite) or the BWPS version. Perfection at every turn. 
yes! 2-E68-D02-C-CF02-40-DB-8-F0-F-D689-F2686-D05" border="0

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:12 AM »

Love love love it.

Brian sings so poignantly on this track, and the melding of the trumpet, harmonies, and the harpsichord (even if its a MIDI harpsichord) works perfectly. The fake harpsichord actually gives the album more whimsy - the original is almost creepy (although still beautiful) whereas the MIDI version has this bright charm to it that isn't on the '66 version.

5/5

To clarify, that is not a MIDI harpsichord sound, in fact far from it. The sounds heard on the studio version were some of the same sounds originally requested and custom-created for taking the Smile tour on the road. The harpsichord, Brian's detuned home piano heard all over Smiley and WH (and Friends), the mallet instruments like marimba/vibraphone, and others too...they were custom designed for the stage production so the sounds could be accessed and switched on the fly. The original studio tracks from 66-67 were used as the templates, and the technology used allowed the sounds to be shaped and built up according to the original reference recordings from the 60's. Kurzweil did the various jobs necessary to present Smile on stage as we saw and heard it, for reference just watch a Smile live video and check out the rigs they had on stage.

If I remember, those sounds designed for the road were done so well that they also went with them in the studio as heard on Wonderful, but that part can of course be clarified by those who were directly involved in the recordings. I just know personally who did the programming and shaping of those sounds, and he's one of the best in the business (someone I've known as a friend for 30 years and made music with in the past).

It was not MIDI, it was not a digital preset from a soundbank, etc - It was made specifically from and for the original tracks so they could be played live.

As far as the track on BWPS...Yes, 5 stars, but with an asterisk because I consider the more stripped down version heard on the GV box set to be one of the most beautiful recordings of all time, and I think all of that comic "rock with me henry" stuff cluttered it up too much...but the way it was presented in context on BWPS warrants the 5 stars since that's what Brian apparently wanted in '67 versus the more elegant version on that box set.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 08, 2019, 12:29:26 PM »

Love love love it.

5/5

To clarify, that is not a MIDI harpsichord sound, in fact far from it. The sounds heard on the studio version were some of the same sounds originally requested and custom-created for taking the Smile tour on the road. The harpsichord, Brian's detuned home piano heard all over Smiley and WH (and Friends), the mallet instruments like marimba/vibraphone, and others too...they were custom designed for the stage production so the sounds could be accessed and switched on the fly. The original studio tracks from 66-67 were used as the templates, and the technology used allowed the sounds to be shaped and built up according to the original reference recordings from the 60's. Kurzweil did the various jobs necessary to present Smile on stage as we saw and heard it, for reference just watch a Smile live video and check out the rigs they had on stage.

If I remember, those sounds designed for the road were done so well that they also went with them in the studio as heard on Wonderful, but that part can of course be clarified by those who were directly involved in the recordings. I just know personally who did the programming and shaping of those sounds, and he's one of the best in the business (someone I've known as a friend for 30 years and made music with in the past).

It was not MIDI, it was not a digital preset from a soundbank, etc - It was made specifically from and for the original tracks so they could be played live.

As far as the track on BWPS...Yes, 5 stars, but with an asterisk because I consider the more stripped down version heard on the GV box set to be one of the most beautiful recordings of all time, and I think all of that comic "rock with me henry" stuff cluttered it up too much...but the way it was presented in context on BWPS warrants the 5 stars since that's what Brian apparently wanted in '67 versus the more elegant version on that box set.

Thanks much, Guitarfool! When I got into Smile and started listening to BWPS I read a lot about how it was a MIDI harpsichord, and I remember reading quite a few angry comments about how "unfaithful" the BWPS harpsichord sound was to the original. Seeing Darian play the keyboard during those shows (and knowing nothing about how they put this show together) I didn't really question the idea that it was MIDI. Even based on the original instruments, I still say that it sounds so much brighter and charmed (for lack of a better term) than the original recordings, but that's probably due to the recording process?

Anyways, as always thanks for correcting that!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:30:35 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 09, 2019, 01:34:25 AM »

Your ratings for Wonderful:
1-0 vote
2-0 vote
3-1 vote
4-0 vote
5-6 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 09, 2019, 01:35:20 AM »

Today's song is Song for Children:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAGyK-gXoT0
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 09, 2019, 07:24:53 AM »

Hey Wata, I think you posted "Friends" but still enjoyed it as well.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 09, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »

Really like this song but prefer the original due to the dominant presence of the bass on the original. In the original the bass nears the levels of the 'Don't Talk' heartbeat, and in the BWPS version it is buried in the mix. Anywho, that's just my personal opinion.

Song For Children fits perfectly between Wonderful and Child, helps really pull together the spiritual suite.

5/5

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 10, 2019, 12:20:35 AM »

SFC is 5. I like this recreated version. As usual, I judge songs individually, not doing 60s vs. 2000s compare.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 10, 2019, 03:46:31 AM »

Your ratings for Song for Children:
1-0 vote
2-0 vote
3-1 vote
4-2 votes
5-1 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 10, 2019, 03:47:36 AM »

Today's song is Child Is Father of the Man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCoweCaRn5U
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 11, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »

Your ratings for Child Is Father of the Man:
1-0 vote
2-0 vote
3-0 vote
4-2 votes
5-1 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 11, 2019, 07:51:57 AM »

Today's song is Surf's Up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKqROGZbMAw
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 11, 2019, 12:17:02 PM »

Today's song is Child Is Father of the Man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCoweCaRn5U

Gah, I forgot to write a review about this!

I love the added lyrics and it really benefits the aura/atmosphere of the spiritual suite.

5/5
____

As for Surf's Up,

the coda on this one is incredible! 2005 was probably the most perfect time for Brian to work on this, as his voice in so many of the songs is perfectly on point. Though his voice during the Disney/Gershwin era was fantastic too.

5/5 from me.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 12, 2019, 06:51:12 AM »

Your ratings for Surf's Up:
1-0 vote
2-0 vote
3-1 vote
4-0 vote
5-7 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 12, 2019, 06:52:23 AM »

Today's song is I'm In Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbeuXomLeGw
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 12, 2019, 01:36:44 PM »

Splendid! SU got 7 5's! 3D Really good to see that people appreciate Brian-lead SU. I suspected it wouldn't rate well due to popular view that Carl/ Brian SU is definitive. To me, this is THE SU.

Today's song is 5. Cool fragments meshed together with creativity.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 13, 2019, 01:17:30 AM »

Your ratings for I'm In Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop:
1-0 vote
2-0 vote
3-2 votes
4-2 votes
5-1 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 13, 2019, 01:18:44 AM »

Today's song is Vega-Tables:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojNrJMHZpNo
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 13, 2019, 06:44:32 AM »

The harmonious coda was jaw dropping for me when I first heard this, and still is in ways. He's singing about eating vegetables but my goodness it sounds so beautiful! The 2011 SMiLE version is much more diverse/experimental, yet still cohesive. Yet the BWPS version has a real charm to it, too.

5/5

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 14, 2019, 02:48:54 AM »

Your ratings for Vega-Tables:
1-0 vote
2-0 vote
3-1 vote
4-2 votes
5-3 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate