gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:30:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Smiley Smile Message Board's Song & Album Rankings - 2022 Results  (Read 18177 times)
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2018, 05:37:21 AM »

Hi everybody! 2022's results are here:
(Rank-difference in parenthesis)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Smiley Smile Message Board's Top 10 Songs:
1. Surf's Up - 283 Points (-)
2. God Only Knows - 221 Points (-)
3. Good Vibrations - 204 Points (-)
4. 'Til I Die - 197 Points (-)
5. Wouldn't It Be Nice - 189 Points (-)
6. This Whole World - 133 Points (-)
7. Cabin Essence - 110 Points (-)
8. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times - 105 Points (-)
9. Please Let Me Wonder - 100 Points (-)
10. All I Wanna Do - 98 Points (-)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Smiley Smile Message Board's Top 10 Albums:
1. Pet Sounds - 497 Points (-)
2. Sunflower - 334 Points (-)
3. The SMiLE Sessions - 333 Points (-)
4. The Beach Boys Today! - 275 Points (-)
5. Wild Honey - 236 Points (-)
6. Friends - 211 Points (-)
7. Surf's Up - 210 Points (-)
8. The Beach Boys Love You - 177 Points (-)
9. Smiley Smile - 147 Points (-)
10. Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) - 129 Points (-)
In this spreadsheet, you're able to have a complete view of how the points were given, earlier rankings, and how the work proceeded:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yqIdZhZRxf8kZZO2F48iE1jIRzkoAK5Ainqvn2aD2OM/edit?usp=sharing

You're still able to add or edit your lists 'til next years results (2024) on:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26075.0.html (Albums)
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26041.0.html (Songs)

Feel free to discuss and comment!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 06:35:21 AM by Doobidoo » Logged

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »

Mad props to the one person who had “Drip Drop (Teardrops on My Bed)” in their top 10!

Very pleased to see “Surf’s Up” take the #1 spot, that song deserves all the praise and more Cool

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 12:37:59 PM »

The surprise for me is All I Wanna Do making the top ten - a deep cut well known to Beach Boy fanatics but not usuallly ranked up with the likes of God Only Knows and Good Vibrations.  This Whole World is not unexpected.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more responses to the poll.  How many members does the board have?  This should be something everyone, even just lurkers and readers who usually don’t post, could participate in.
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 09:56:33 PM »

The surprise for me is All I Wanna Do making the top ten - a deep cut well known to Beach Boy fanatics but not usuallly ranked up with the likes of God Only Knows and Good Vibrations.  This Whole World is not unexpected.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more responses to the poll.  How many members does the board have?  This should be something everyone, even just lurkers and readers who usually don’t post, could participate in.

It would be better if it was restricted to album tracks. As much as I'd hate to deny members their more esotoric choices, I think a narrower focus would lead to clearer results. Not that the top ten here looks bad, I realise I'm in the small minority of people that don't enjoy Surf's Up much until the coda.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 08:01:51 AM »

That's a great top ten list, encompassing so much of what I love about them. If I were told I could only hear ten songs from the band ever again, it's not precisely the list I might choose but I'd be very, very happy with it.

At the same time, it's wild just how far removed it is from the list you'd get if you asked most casual fans for a top ten list of their favorite Beach Boys songs. Only God Only Knows, Good Vibrations and Wouldn't It Be Nice would make both lists. The list here is heavily loaded with '66-'71 material which is virtually unknown to most people, and iconic songs like Surfer Girl and California Girls didn't make the cut. Not a new insight but it is a uniquely fascinating tension with this group.

krabklaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »

I'm surprised Warmth of the Sun isn't on that list but the list is heavily weighted to post-Pet Sounds years (compared to popular opinion), what much of the Beach Boys hard core would consider the cool years.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:05:29 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »

Disagree with PLMW, AIWD, TID, TWW, IJWMFTT isn't big PS fave. CE shouldn't be just 8th place. But, given these precise 10 songs, I'd place it like this - CE, SU, GOK, GV, WIBN, IJWMFTT, TWW, TID, PLMW, AIWD.

Smiley Smile Message Board's Top 10 Albums - This will be released 15/9
Nice to see smb. write date like that, it isn't super-weird 9/15. As if the day will be 9th Fiftenber.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 06:46:26 PM »

[quote author=Bicyclerider link=topic=26093.msg640169#msg640169 date=1535225879

[/quote]

In my case, the only reason I didn’t reply to this one was that I honestly couldn’t pick a top ten.  A top twenty, sure, but top ten was too hard.  Too many great songs. 

On a more pedantic note, could we please change the title of this and the other threads to definitive, not definite?  It hurts my eyes every time I see it. 
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 12:54:46 AM »

On a more pedantic note, could we please change the title of this and the other threads to definitive, not definite?  It hurts my eyes every time I see it. 
Thanks for correction. I changed the title of the album one, which I made.
MsBecca
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »

Disagree with PLMW, AIWD, TID, TWW, IJWMFTT isn't big PS fave. CE shouldn't be just 8th place. But, given these precise 10 songs, I'd place it like this - CE, SU, GOK, GV, WIBN, IJWMFTT, TWW, TID, PLMW, AIWD.

OMG all those acronyms lol
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 02:30:58 PM »

OMG all those acronyms lol
The funny thing is 99/100 we all know exactly what they stand for!  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 02:31:59 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 02:43:41 PM »

^ very true.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 07:02:01 AM »

The Album Results are here!

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »

Smiley Smile Message Board's Top 10 Albums - This will be released 15/9
Nice to see smb. write date like that, it isn't super-weird 9/15. As if the day will be 9th Fiftenber.
Hey, everybody who's here must not be American! Isn't that how most countries write it?

Some thoughts:
It was sad to see that Funky Pretty and My Diane only got to recieve 1 point. Especially considering My Diane, thinking about how people tend to praise it
In the same thing that MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm spoke about: It's worth mentioning that Kokomo didn't recieve a single point  LOL

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »

The Album Results are here!
Someone recognizing their list, i.e. did someone rank them in the exact same order as what turned up as the total top 10?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 12:30:23 AM »

Wrong post
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:31:09 AM by Doobidoo » Logged

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 06:55:22 AM »

Hard to argue with that top ten album list - I would have had 20/20 in there somewhere though.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »

Someone should go back and look at the earlier, far more extensively voted-in album/song polls done back before the "Great Schism" here just to see how this compares to that. I'm facing too many deadlines on current projects, so I won't get to it for awhile, but if someone else is interested in doing that, I think it would make for a worthwhile comparison...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 09:42:13 AM »

I agree Don

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
michel neurophile
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 01:26:42 PM »

No vote for "Surfin' Safari", "15 Big Ones", "Still Cruisin', "Summer In Paradise" and "Stars And Stripes" !

Michel.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 06:35:22 PM »

My biggest surprise is that Holland did not make top 10 albums. And no Dennis songs could crack the top 10? I guess Brian is just that much better than anyone else.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »

And I'm surprised to see All This Is That and Feel Flows above Forever.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 11:23:54 AM »

My biggest surprise is that Holland did not make top 10 albums. And no Dennis songs could crack the top 10? I guess Brian is just that much better than anyone else.

I would’ve thought so too. Should’ve been #10. Surprised that SDASN made it

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 07:11:19 AM »

It would be better if it was restricted to album tracks. As much as I'd hate to deny members their more esotoric choices, I think a narrower focus would lead to clearer results. Not that the top ten here looks bad, I realise I'm in the small minority of people that don't enjoy Surf's Up much until the coda.

I'm confused. What songs listed are not album tracks? Every song listed was on an album! Do you mean singles? That would be boring. Might as well go to a casual fans board.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »

The new results of 2019 are here!

Holland got close to grab Summer Days 10th place this year (Only 1 point away!).
File Attached shows you what difference the new people did in points (not including how earlier posters edit their list)

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx