gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:32:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys fan meeting in Baambrugge August 14th 2022  (Read 2677 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2022, 01:56:57 PM »

A couple of fans are currently busy trying to organize a Beach Boys meeting to celebrate 50 years of Holland. We'd like to hold this meeting in Café De Punt in Baambrugge, just accross the street where the Beach Boys largely recorded their Holland album. Not a big event, mind you, but an opportunity to meet and speak with fans. And if possible (with permission of the current owner of course) possibly a short visit to the former location of the studio.

But we'd like to get an idea of how many fans we can expect (in case we have to reserve part of the cafe).
Big chance of course that it's mostly Dutch fans... but we all speak English and/or German (or something that sounds like it), and we happily invite anyone that has the opportunity and would like to be here to come over and join this happy occasion.

Current possible dates are:
- Saturday August 6th or 13th
- Sunday August 7th of 14th

If you're interested please let me know.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 11:05:11 PM by smile-holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 12:34:34 PM »

What a nice idea, I'm interested, though I can't promise if I'll be able to make it.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 11:06:57 PM »

UPDATE: the date is set on Sunday August 14th. More details will follow.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 03:07:01 AM »

Put me down tentatively.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 07:47:04 AM »

A last update and reminder !

As announced before, there's a informal Beach Boys fan meeting in Baambrugge on August 14th (Sunday).

Time: 14:00 - 17:00PM

We don't have an official program, just a few hours of chatting with fans and sharing memories. There's room inside for the group to do so, and in that case we might be able to play some appropriate (and rare) music). But when weather permits, we're sitting outside of course.

No official program...but... we are allowed to visit the former site of the BBC2 studio, just across the street. For those who want to take the opportunity to be there: the gate will be opened for us at 15PM. I'll take some documentation with me, so we can locate and visualize the studio. And perhaps the current owner of the site can tell us a bit more (not on the recordings though).

Any questions? Reply or send me a PM.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 07:47:44 AM by smile-holland » Logged

patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 06:04:14 PM »

Did it happen? Please give us an update when you can. And pictures, if you've got 'em.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 11:00:23 PM »

It sure did happen!

It was a hot day (especially walking on the concrete underground during our tour on the site of the former studio), but we had a blast! I’ll tell more about it soon. Pictures of the event will follow the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:11:03 AM by smile-holland » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 08:12:56 AM »

Put me down tentatively.

It only just occurred to me that you were the Aussie from Germany who arrived a little later than the rest. Very cool!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 11:46:33 AM »

Here’s a look back on the Dutch Beach Boys meeting of August 14th 2022. My partner-in-crime for this day, Willem, made a reservation at Café De Punt in Baambrugge. That’s the café right across the street where the studio used to be. And where the boys would often go to for drink and a toast in between sessions. Yes, the café’s still there, and honestly, the interior hasn’t changed that much in 50 years… and they still have toasts on the menu. I arrived a bit early, and appropriately ordered a few toasts for lunch. The meeting was officially planned between 2-5PM, but the first fans started pouring in before that. We quickly figured out that the terrace that was reserved for us – although equipped with large parasols – was steaming hot (surrounded with fences and glass windows). So we soon moved to another terrace on the back, along the river, where the temperature was much more bearable.

The first was mostly used for handshakes and reminiscing. And lots of drinks! Many familiar faces, but also a few new ones. Really nice to finally shake hands with jk (active Endless Harmony board). But we even had a guest that came over from Germany (albeit a genuine Australian guy – mooger frooger, well known on the SmileySmile board) who arrived just in time to join during our visit at the ‘barn’.

At around 3PM we went for a short walk to the other side of the street where the current owner of the little business park (that is situated on the site where the studio used to be) was waiting for us. And to our happy surprise he didn’t just open the gate for us, but gave us a grand tour on the premises, and gave us an extensive explanation on the history of the barn, its functions prior to and during the making of Holland, and a more details on the exact location of the former BBC2 studio and a more accurate date on when the building was torn down. Regarding the book on Holland we’re working on, we still have some questions left, but thanks to the owner we now also know where to find the local historian of Baambrugge, so he might be able to tell us even more.

Half an hour later we happily returned to the café’s terrace (did I mention already it was HOT – especially standing and walking on a large piece of concrete!) for more drinks and conversation., and bragging on our individual extraordinary experiences with the Beach Boys (all true stories though). We also took the time to memorate our good friend Maarten, who was supposed to be here as well, but passed away suddenly shotly after he announced he would come over as well (his wife joined us for this occasion). As a former member of the Dutch vocal group Holland Smiles, and a great guys in general, we will surely miss him.

For those interested I even had a few copies of the new Drifting Sand CD-single with Al Jardine guesting on bv’s on ‘Best Summer Ever’, that some of the fans happily bought a copy off. Some of us brought memorabilia, and I was lucky enough to get hold on some older fan magazines (thanks Willem!!). Later on, I opened up the trunk of my car loaded with boxes filled with spare BB vinyl, cd’s and books/magazines, and a few fans happily took advantage of the occasion. And thanks to another fan a few of us were even able to listen to a live stream of the single In Concert album – even Bluetooth-ed through the stereo of my car it sounded great! Many thanks to him for giving us the chance to listen to it!

Afterwards we became aware that we actually hadn’t done trouble enough to spread the word on this meeting, as we heard from several German fans they would have loved to have been there. And tbh, I would have loved to have seen and meet them here (The California Saga fanclub has done some very cool meetings in the past as well. We’ll definitely do our best to promote our next meeting even better. I half expect that there will be another meeting in the near future, if only for the fact that the Holland album’s anniversary is next year and there’s a book to be presented. We’ll have to think of a good location to do this. There’s several possibilities, but if I may believe the owner of the business park, we might as well do it there. But that’s something to figure out later on.

Café De Punt

We were sitting on the terrace at the back along the river de Angstel. The site of the former studio is across the street just behind us.

Obligatory toast

Fans arriving

At the entrance of the former site of the studio; hasn’t changed since 1972

The owner gave us a tour on the site; here we are standing in front of the current building listening to his explanation on the companies that were here 50 years ago and where several buildings/barns were situated.

The current business units. The former studio was actually on the back side of these buildings

At the back of the building, standing on where the studio used to be

Remembering Maarten

After talk on the terrace

Got me some goodies…

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 12:49:55 PM by smile-holland » Logged

patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 04:02:13 PM »

Looks awesome! Thanks!
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 01:45:28 AM »

Sorry that I couldn't join !
Just a couple of questions:  The "Studio"s nabours; will they still open a Beach Boys-themed Bed & Breakfast.
And the " Holland"book: When is its release scheduled. And will it be in dutch, only?

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 12:21:10 PM »

Sorry that I couldn't join !
Just a couple of questions:  The "Studio"s nabours; will they still open a Beach Boys-themed Bed & Breakfast.
And the " Holland"book: When is its release scheduled. And will it be in dutch, only?

Ah, the neighbours with ideas on starting a BBBBB&B (Beach Boys BaamBrugge Bed & Breakfast)… no clue. We didn’t speak with them.

The scheduled release is March 2023. The publisher only made a deal for a Dutch publication. But the authors are allowed to find another publisher to publish this book in another language. I personally would welcome it, as I expect that an English release would interestva larger sales market. And the authors agree with that. There’s few vague ideas, but no concrete plans yet. Although a few fans already gave some suggestions.

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 01:36:27 PM »

Must say that I laughed out loud when I saw your photo with my old “Friends of The Beach Boys” issues!  Someone must have paid you to take them off their hands! Lol!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 10:37:50 PM »

One of the attendees made a cool little movie of the visit. Practice your Dutch if you want to understand any of it !  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC0GinhCRA4

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 10:42:08 PM »

Must say that I laughed out loud when I saw your photo with my old “Friends of The Beach Boys” issues!  Someone must have paid you to take them off their hands! Lol!

There’s nothing wrong with ‘old’ fanzines like yours. I love ‘em. They were part of a trade I did. And I actually already have nr 6 and 7, so if anyone’s interested… I’m still looking for #1&2 myself btw.

Did you know there was another fanzine called ‘Friends’?  Issued by the Dutch fanclub between 1971-74.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 10:49:30 PM by smile-holland » Logged

rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2022, 01:38:46 AM »

Here's hoping that next year's "HOLLAND"b¤¤k will also dig deep into the WILSONs' ancestral "DUTCHiness" coming to the fore in 1972 - or lack thereof?

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx