gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:17:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Guitarist Ed King - "Incense And Peppermints", Lynyrd Skynyrd, BB's tours...  (Read 1662 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/lynyrd-skynyrd-guitarist-ed-king-dead-at-68-714847/

Most famous for his work with Skynyrd, Ed also played the fuzztone lead guitar on Incense And Peppermints as part of the group The Strawberry Alarm Clock. And Ed as part of the SAC toured with the Beach Boys as their opening act specifically in '67.

I wrote this on another page just as a brief reaction to the news, but anyone who likes psych-garage-punk from the 60's should take a listen to Ed's fuzz guitar track on "Incense And Peppermints". It's one of my obsessions as a guitarist, nailing *that tone*, and for me it is the best fuzz guitar tone ever recorded...RIP Ed.

Incense And Peppermints, vintage clip of the band miming on TV. Ed is on the far left playing a Gibson SG on the clip, but he played a Fender Telecaster on the session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rw1_FNdy-Y

What I wrote earlier about Ed and his influence:

Guitarist Ed King has passed away...and wanted to share a few thoughts on his influence. Obviously he's best known for being in Lynyrd Skynyrd, but when he was a young guitarist he played the fuzzed-out lead guitar on this track...which is one of the best, absolute BEST, of the 60's and the psych-pop genre. In terms of fuzz tone guitar, THIS song is for me the best fuzztone ever recorded. Absolutely defines the whole era for me in this tone, you can hear it breaking up and fizzing out on the track as if it or Ed's Fender tube amp is about to blow up at any second. Ed says he played a Fender Telecaster through a Gibson Maestro FZ-1A fuzztone, through a Fender tube amp to get that amazing tone. As previous posts of mine will attest, I am obsessed with that sound and tone. I have gone through a number of fuzz pedals to try copying it, and the closest and most affordable simulation I found and use is the Boss FZ5 "Fuzz" pedal. It had COSM modeling which replicates that sizzle and beautiful noise which happens as a sustained note starts dying out, as close to Ed's tone on Incense as I've found, even though it's digital. The Boss is even better than a pedal called the "Peppermint Fuzz" which was designed as a replica of this exact record, at least to my ears. Anyeay, this song and Ed King: The story is pretty fascinating, King actually was a writer of this song which became a big hit. But, his name was not listed as a writer, deliberately, which cheated him out of a lot of money in royalties. They were teens and young guys, who didn't know the ballgame, so that's what happened in showbiz with dishonest people running the show. However, in his words, Ed got the last laugh by writing "Sweet Home Alabama", which made even more money. And, he recorded one of the greatest lead guitar tracks of that era and beyond on this track. RIP Ed, you're an influence to a lot of us.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »

His solo on "Sweet Home Alabama"  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx