gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:08:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208831 times)
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: September 23, 2019, 06:53:20 PM »

I agree that last night was more than just an "off night". Brian either looked terrified or spaced out. It reminded me a little of some early 80's clips...

I don't even know how to recognize a good from a bad Brian night. The last show I saw was a Christmas show in Minneapolis, and Brian seemed a fair bit more engaged and better vocally. Relatively better, but not what you'd call good.
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 23, 2019, 07:41:53 PM »

I agree that last night was more than just an "off night". Brian either looked terrified or spaced out. It reminded me a little of some early 80's clips...

Good call. His demeanor last night was akin to when I saw the Beach Boys in Peoria in 1981. It was that unsettling. I just hope it was a severe anomaly and he bounces back in Cincy tonight.
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 23, 2019, 07:43:13 PM »

I don't even know how to recognize a good from a bad Brian night. The last show I saw was a Christmas show in Minneapolis, and Brian seemed a fair bit more engaged and better vocally. Relatively better, but not what you'd call good.

Trust me, if you were there in Milwaukee, you would have recognized it.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 23, 2019, 07:58:18 PM »

I just watched some clips of Brian from Milwaukee. His pitch is still pretty good, but it seems like he really labored breathing through God Only Knows.

It's an odd dichotomy to hear the perfect instrumentals and vocals of his band, and then Brian's singing. In an ideal world, we'd have some sort of combination of 1980 and C50. Al and Mike could do the heavy lifting. Matt, Bruce and Blondie would supplement them. And then Brian would sing the bridge to Surfer Girl and maybe one or two other songs.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 23, 2019, 09:20:58 PM »

I think some people are forgetting Brian’s back issues and the effect they can have on his day to day functionality. Having had some very painful back issues myself over the years, I can’t imagine Brian having to do a show on a bad back day.

When you consider the rigors of touring - travel, buses, planes, cars, different hotel beds - it is a testament to his determination and commitment that he carries on show after show.  Brian is a real trooper and is going to always give his best when “the show must go on”.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 23, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »

I also suffer from back pain and couldn't imagine having to sing onstage during an episode of particular pain. BW is an inspiration in so many ways.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #681 on: September 23, 2019, 10:32:06 PM »

Definitely. It messes with me pretty bad and I’m only 41. I can’t imagine dealing with that at 77

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 23, 2019, 11:39:01 PM »

I just got home from Milwaukee where I saw last night’s show. My Brian show count is somewhere in the 30’s starting with the first Pet Sounds tour in 2000 with the most recent one being the Final Pet Sounds Tour (seriously, we mean it this time) in 2017. I had seen clips from the last two years and have followed the debates and even chimed in on occasion.  I have heard from people whose opinions I respect and trust that, yes, Brian’s decision to continue is his, and not someone else’s. He also has severe physical limitations that affects how he performs, so naturally, various band members pick up more of the lead vocals that he used to do in the peak days of his touring career.  But knowing all of that never prepared me for how bittersweet the night was.

First off, we had the Zombies in their current lineup: Rod Argent, Colin Blunstone, both  founding members of the band, accompanied by Tom Toomey, Steve Rodford, and Soren Koch starting the evening off with a mini set of the Zombies 1965 hits mixed with more recent material that showed why they have become a sleeper sensation in the rock and roll touring world. After the mini set, they brought out the other surviving founding members of the Zombies: bassist Chris White, and drummer Hugh Grundy where they, accompanied by the current Zombies as well as Vivian Boucherat on backing vocals and Mr. Sahanaja on additional keyboards, performed a pitch perfect Oddesey And Oracle From front to back. From the buoyant cheek of Care Of Cell 44 to the gorgeous Hung Up On A Dream to the moving and uplifting This Will Be Our Year to the haunting Butcher’s Tale (movingly sung by its composer Chris White) and finally to the sleek sexiness of Time Of The Season, this classic album was rendered with love, care, and precision.  On a night where various late Beach Boys, a Brian band member, and an old friend and fellow BB fan were not very far from my mind, I thought of two people from the Zombies world that were not there because they had passed on: original guitarist Paul Atkinson (who played the masterful solo on Hung Up On A Dream that current guitarist Tom Toomey had nailed) and former bassist Jim Rodford, Rod Argent’s cousin who had also played with Rod in his post-Zombies prog band Argent. That added to the bittersweet tinge of the evening.

After a half an hour, the headliners took the stage and delivered what was probably the most eclectic setlist I had heard from a Brian show in at least 17 years. The Friends and Surf’s Up material were played as if the Brian band was absolutely born to play that particular era of the BB catalogue. Yes, Diamond Head was the standout, but for me the jaw dropper was Passing By. I had to look at the stage to make sure that I wasn’t listening to the record.  Matt killed it on Don’t Worry Baby And Surf’s Up and Darian nailed Darlin’ and I Can Hear Music (please, oh please keep I Can Hear Music in the set list). But what made this emotional was Blondie paying homage to Carl on both Feel Flows and Long Promised Road and Brian paying homage to D Nani’s with Little Bird.  As for Brian himself?  As mentioned, he struggled through the night. But you know what, I saw a guy who was putting forth the effort to make this work. Did he succeed, not always. But, appropriately enough, his best vocal was during Love And Mercy. He seemed to be saying “I know I am struggling, but I still have something to give”.

As long as he wants to, I will be there.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 24, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »

I just got home from Milwaukee where I saw last night’s show. My Brian show count is somewhere in the 30’s starting with the first Pet Sounds tour in 2000 with the most recent one being the Final Pet Sounds Tour (seriously, we mean it this time) in 2017. I had seen clips from the last two years and have followed the debates and even chimed in on occasion.  I have heard from people whose opinions I respect and trust that, yes, Brian’s decision to continue is his, and not someone else’s. He also has severe physical limitations that affects how he performs, so naturally, various band members pick up more of the lead vocals that he used to do in the peak days of his touring career.  But knowing all of that never prepared me for how bittersweet the night was.

First off, we had the Zombies in their current lineup: Rod Argent, Colin Blunstone, both  founding members of the band, accompanied by Tom Toomey, Steve Rodford, and Soren Koch starting the evening off with a mini set of the Zombies 1965 hits mixed with more recent material that showed why they have become a sleeper sensation in the rock and roll touring world. After the mini set, they brought out the other surviving founding members of the Zombies: bassist Chris White, and drummer Hugh Grundy where they, accompanied by the current Zombies as well as Vivian Boucherat on backing vocals and Mr. Sahanaja on additional keyboards, performed a pitch perfect Oddesey And Oracle From front to back. From the buoyant cheek of Care Of Cell 44 to the gorgeous Hung Up On A Dream to the moving and uplifting This Will Be Our Year to the haunting Butcher’s Tale (movingly sung by its composer Chris White) and finally to the sleek sexiness of Time Of The Season, this classic album was rendered with love, care, and precision.  On a night where various late Beach Boys, a Brian band member, and an old friend and fellow BB fan were not very far from my mind, I thought of two people from the Zombies world that were not there because they had passed on: original guitarist Paul Atkinson (who played the masterful solo on Hung Up On A Dream that current guitarist Tom Toomey had nailed) and former bassist Jim Rodford, Rod Argent’s cousin who had also played with Rod in his post-Zombies prog band Argent. That added to the bittersweet tinge of the evening.

After a half an hour, the headliners took the stage and delivered what was probably the most eclectic setlist I had heard from a Brian show in at least 17 years. The Friends and Surf’s Up material were played as if the Brian band was absolutely born to play that particular era of the BB catalogue. Yes, Diamond Head was the standout, but for me the jaw dropper was Passing By. I had to look at the stage to make sure that I wasn’t listening to the record.  Matt killed it on Don’t Worry Baby And Surf’s Up and Darian nailed Darlin’ and I Can Hear Music (please, oh please keep I Can Hear Music in the set list). But what made this emotional was Blondie paying homage to Carl on both Feel Flows and Long Promised Road and Brian paying homage to D Nani’s with Little Bird.  As for Brian himself?  As mentioned, he struggled through the night. But you know what, I saw a guy who was putting forth the effort to make this work. Did he succeed, not always. But, appropriately enough, his best vocal was during Love And Mercy. He seemed to be saying “I know I am struggling, but I still have something to give”.

As long as he wants to, I will be there.

This is a well-written review, and I agree entirely with about all of it. This was a setlist I've been dreaming about for years!! Please understand that my comments above were written through the lens of a veteran BW concert-goer. I was commenting based on the continuum of the usual BW performance scale. I've seen shows where he's enthusiastically spoken between each song and was totally engaged with the music and his environs. Then, I've seen shows where it was obvious he wasn't in his element for mental or physical reasons. All I was saying is that, from my vantage point, Milwaukee was even lower than the bottom of the continuum to which I've been accustomed.

Was Milwaukee the first show of the Something Great from '68 tour where the curtain closed between shows?  It could explain that there was some serious physical issues that day above and beyond the usual back pain that would have required some serious convalescence care in moving him to the piano. That would explain a lot.

My only point is that it appeared to me that something very awful was going on Sunday evening, and it pained me as a BW devotee.  I can only imagine what the casual observer thought, and based upon chatter outside after the show, those people left confused and somewhat jilted about what they just paid to watch. I hope I never witness him in this physical or mental state onstage again.   But, like you, as long as he wants to give to the fans, I will also be there.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #684 on: September 24, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »

I too was at the Milwaukee show...and I gotta say, it's not the worst I've seen Brian, and of course by far not the best. He was ill. Literally (nasty cold or something): during one song his vocal was suddenly interrupted by a coughing fit, and other times when he'd sing, he obviously needed to clear his throat. In terms of his singing...he sounded a bit tired, but always on key. He had trouble with the high notes on "God Only Knows." Sounded great doing the bridge on "Long Promised Road."

Brian didn't really say much; Al did most of the talking. Maybe Brian would announce a song or introduce Blondie or Darian to sing a song, but that was it. But I did notice he was more peppy than he had been in the last two years...more of his (in)famous gesturing than I've seen in a long time, and he didn't zone out nearly as much. Most of the time he was pretty engaged. Even in songs when he didn't contribute a thing, he was still kind of bopping along, and from my seat, it looked like he was playing along on his keyboard.

If what I saw last night is something that I'll have to see again...I'm okay with it. Again, not Brian's worst, and I sure felt a HELL of a lot better last night than I did when I saw the Mike'n'Bruce version of the Beach Boys back in July. It felt right. It felt home. And "Diamond Head"...wow...just stunning!

I almost shed a few tears looking over and not seeing Nick, but dammit...Rob put on some amazing performances!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 24, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »

Solid review. I've had some perspective in the day or two following the show. Sure, Brian was not at his best and he did struggle at times. I don't know if it was mental or physical or exhaustion or a combination of several things. I do know he hung in there for the 90 minute set and for the most part he was an active participant. Brian has never been that great of a live performer - even back in the early 60's. That isn't what we love about him. We love him for the music he created and somehow after all of these years - he's still out there performing his music. There have been times where it has been hard to watch - including several on Sunday night - but it is still an honor to get to "hang out" with Brian.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 24, 2019, 02:03:06 PM »

He was ill. Literally (nasty cold or something): during one song his vocal was suddenly interrupted by a coughing fit, and other times when he'd sing, he obviously needed to clear his throat.

Someone else who posted a clip of the Milwaukee show on Youtube also thought that Brian was under the weather. I'm crossing fingers that that was the reason for the particularly rough Milwaukee show. Sad I'll be seeing the NY show in a few days.

roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 24, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »

Trust me, if you were there in Milwaukee, you would have recognized it.
I was in Milwaukee. It was rough. I'm saying his Minneapolis Christmas show was rougher. I don't know if I've seen a "good night", barring the time I saw him in 2009.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 05:46:05 PM by roffels » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 24, 2019, 10:00:17 PM »

Just got back from the Royal Oak, MI show. Setlist was the same as the previous night in Cincinnati.

I saw his Christmas show last December and left the place thinking that would be my last Brian show. It was just getting too uncomfortable. But then they announced a tour with the Zombies and I had to see that. "O&O" is one of my favorite albums of all-time and they did NOT disappoint. Rod Argent is the man and I love being able to see Chris White in the flesh. His bass was up loud and he was killin' it while still barely moving. A total bad ass. Colin was also super strong. The guys were much better than I expected. I do wish the drums were louder, though. I love this venue but the shows always seem quiet to me and I just want to push that fader up on the drum mics every show I go to there. It was originally to be at the Masonic Theater in Detroit which would have been way too big for this. Being downsized to this place was much welcome and ideal in every way. My seat was better. The place was packed with enthusiastic fans.

Brian & the gang.. well, what can I say that hasn't already been said. It was better than the Christmas tour, that's for sure. Brian wasn't given many lead vocals, but had his moments. Al sang more than usual, which is good, though I still don't know why Matt does "Wouldn't It Be Nice." Surely people would rather hear Al do it. He can handle it. Matt's voice seems whinier than last time, though he seemed to having trouble with his ear pieces all night. The band was excellent. Being able to hear so many obscure songs was much better in person than seeing it on paper. Their recreations of "Diamond Head" and "Passing By" were flawless. I never thought I'd see Al sing "Lookin' at Tomorrow." He did great on "Wake the World" too. I think they elongated those last two songs for obvious reasons. Darian was great on "Darlin'" and "I Can Hear Music." Blondie is always solid, though these Carl songs are usually quite dull to me, he breathed life into them. I do wish Brian was more active in "Sail On Sailor." He used to really get into that one and singing those great "sail on"'s at the end, but he didn't move today.

He looked like he was in pain. Drinking a lot of water. He could move his arms around fine but when he would reach up to his forehead his hand would shake very hard. He started out fine the first two songs and seeing him sing "Meant For You" and the bridge to "Long Promised Road" was really touching. He was enjoying "Darlin'" and "Wake the World," swinging his arms around...even looked like the Brian of old on "I Get Around" with the hang gestures. The band did great on "Busy Doin' Nothing" but Brian lost his place in the first verse and took some time to find it again. He even sang the first two verses to "H&V" really strong but then quit and nobody sang the next two. He did part of the cantina section and was done. "God Only Knows" included asking Al for water and a throat clearing and "Surf's Up" was basically the Matt Jardine show. It was nice to see Brian do "Little Bird," a nice Dennis tribute they executed well.

"Love & Mercy" was one of those moments. Brian nailed it. It was very moving. Someone shouted "we love you Brian" after the first verse and he said "thank you" and I was worried he would then lose his place again and torpedo the song, but he didn't, and all went well. I was all tearing up. The crowd rose to their feet. People get it. It's almost forgiven. People love this guy. The outpouring of love for him, when he's clearly not physically up to this and looks downright miserable, is strong. I'm guessing people gave standing ovations to songs he kinda screwed up like "H&V" and "Surf's Up," more likely due to the bands performance and what those tracks mean in Brian's history.

I didn't leave this show disappointed like I did with the Christmas tour. That was just a weird scene. I give the band credit for doing a riskier setlist and spreading out the leads better. It felt longer than 90-95 minutes, but there was no encore break, no band introductions, and no stories told. Brian did bust out laughing at a mistake he made, then shooed the invisible mistake away and carried on. Asking for water during "God Only Knows" kind of shows me he wants to do a good job. He had the greatest voice ever. He was a slave driving perfectionist with those guys in the 60s. I'm sure it kills him he can't do what he used to do. He apparently wants to keep doing this while also assuming he's letting people down. The love for him is there.. we all hope he can feel it. But we also want him to chill if that is what he'd rather do as well.

A great night though.. the Zombies were incredible.. very impressive. It's awesome for me seeing Chris White as I love the songs he wrote for the group. "Beechwood Park" is one of my favorite things ever. It's great seeing Probyn and Darian and Paul, Al, Blondie, all the guys again. Better than the Christmas tour. The crowd tonight seemed to understand. I hope they went home happy.
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 24, 2019, 10:50:49 PM »

Couldn't really agree more with what was said above. Tonight in Royal Oak was a really enjoyable night for me.  I was a little nervous because it was my mom's first time seeing Brian and I wasn't quite sure how well my parents would understand as they go to 20+ classic rock shows a year and know a good show from the lackluster.  They both really seemed to enjoy it while admittedly not "getting" Friends and Smile era tracks.  They love the early songs though and my mom's fav is "Don't worry Baby" which I knew Matt wouldn't disapoint.  My Dad's fav is "Little Deuce Coupe" and "Shut Down" which they seem to play at every show I go to without him but never makes the set list when he is there lol

I wasn't planning on going to see him again but after it was announced that it would focus on tracks from Friends and Surf's Up, I just couldn't resist.  Brian sang more this time around than the first Pet Sounds show I went to at the Fox a couple years back,  I really felt he did well.  "Busy Doing Nothing" and Diamond Head" were the highlights despite Brian's flub on the former, but it's not an easy song, the lyrics are simple yet intricate.  

Being in the third row is definitely the closest I've been seeing him and that was really enjoyable, I was worried our tickets wouldn't transfer well with the venue change.  Other than that, I'm very happy my wife was finally able to hear H&V live as it didn't make the set list the 2 other times she has attended.

Only disagreement I have with the above post is that I love "Feel Flows" and "Long Promised Road".  I had seen Blondie sing FF in the past and just hoped and hoped he'd do LPR as well this time.  Also hearing "Til I Die" live is great, now I'm realizing I could go on and on.  I hate to say it's my last show, but it is a high note to go out on,  I genuinely hope it could be the end of touring for him,  I couldn't help but tear up with his arms outstretched on "Til I Die" and the noticeable shaking,  I want him to be well and wish him all the best.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 12:13:19 PM by VanDykeParksAndRec » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: September 25, 2019, 06:28:31 AM »

Nice reviews, thank you guys.

ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 25, 2019, 03:26:18 PM »

Last night's show in MI was a great one. I took my brother who I don't think really knew any Odessey and Oracle, Friends or Surf's Up and he seemed blown away by the entire event. It was nice to hear all the rarely played songs. Diamond Head is usually one of my lesser picks off Friends but they brought another element with it live and it was way better. My only regret is not staying for Love and Mercy as I usually leave during the encore.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 25, 2019, 04:20:34 PM »

As for Brian himself?  As mentioned, he struggled through the night. But you know what, I saw a guy who was putting forth the effort to make this work. Did he succeed, not always. But, appropriately enough, his best vocal was during Love And Mercy. He seemed to be saying “I know I am struggling, but I still have something to give”.

This got me all farklempt.  I felt exactly the same way - "rage, rage against the dying of the light". 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
ficuswhisperer
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 25, 2019, 10:55:09 PM »

One interesting part was when someone from the back of the room shouted loudly "We love you Brian!", to which Brian responded with a "Thank You." He then gave a strong performance on Heroes and Villains, which seemed to be his best vocals of the night. Little Bird was not to bad either.

I was at that show as well. That was a really great moment that you called out.  I didn’t see Brian respond from my vantage point so it’s heartening to hear that he reacted. Brian definitely seemed to be struggling and that was sad to see - often looking very uncomfortable. He opened strong and closed strong but everything in between was at times rough. Al seemed to be picking up a lot of slack. That said, as always his band was incredible, Blondie was amazing and really picked up the energy mid-show with multiple extended guitar solos, and Al sounded great as well.

Here’s a brief video of Blondie: https://youtu.be/DDdFt2fT0c8

The Zombies also blew me away. They sounded so good and hearing them perform Odyssey and Oracle so flawlessly was something to behold.

In all it was an unforgettable show and while I wish Brian had been having a better night, it was still an experience I’ll hold dear.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 10:58:05 PM by ficuswhisperer » Logged
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 26, 2019, 10:27:02 PM »

Very good show tonight at the Beacon. Brian was in much better voice compared to when I saw him during the Christmas tour. Tonight he seemed to struggle with breath support, hit some bum notes here and there, and missed certain cues, but his voice was generally strong and he was putting effort into his vocals. The crowd definitely noticed and appreciated this. The cues he missed tonight seem to be the same cues I've heard or read about him missing on other nights during this tour, which indicates that these aren't just random miscues; there's a clear pattern as to which portions of songs he misses his cue or just chooses to not sing at all. Al, Blondie, and the rest of the band were spectacular as usual.

The setlist was either very similar or identical to other recent shows. I managed to capture most of the Friends and Surf's Up material that was played:

Meant for You / Friends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ePWrn1RFk

Wake the World:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWNfVsI4Fg4

Busy Doin' Nothin':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKyDr4BCWEs

Feel Flows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQJEK8jQjjw

Long Promised Road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnTAlqdbXLg

Little Bird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlxFZVP5-lo

Diamond Head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt5x9R8LnkE

Passing By:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbJOHBHA7XU

'Til I Die / Surf's Up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83PljGCuCKY

Lookin' At Tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNwc9NV4EQk
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 27, 2019, 06:28:14 AM »

Great review and clips! I was there too and really loved the show. It's probably good that I had read the recent tough reviews of Milwaukee etc here and had some sense of what to expect.

Brian came out with a walker and an assistant as the band began California Girls and sat down at the piano. He looked very subdued and I did think he sounded quite rough on California Girls and I Get Around, made more apparent because the band was so tight and sharp on those songs. And oddly, Al sounded rocky on Help Me Rhonda which was in the #3 slot... I thought perhaps Al had a bad cold, but he sounded like his old self on all the other vocals so not really sure what happened on that one song.

But I loved the Friends material and it felt like Brian was getting into it too. There were at least a dozen or so moments scattered during the show where Brian's vocal would suddenly dig in and find the groove of the song and the crowd would go wild. A lot of love for Brian in the audience.

There were 10 to 12 musicians on stage for every song. The harmonies were gorgeous and the instrumentation never sounded busy.

The Pet Sounds songs (Wouldn't It Be Nice, Sloop John B, God Only Knows) sounded lovely. Brian gave a very tender vocal to the first two verses of God Only Knows, and got a robust standing ovation when it was done.

I thought Blondie killed in on Feel Flows and Long Promised Road... very cool to hear those live... and Sail on Sailor absolutely cooked, one of the clear highlights of the night.

I Can Hear Music is a particular favorite of mine and I loved hearing it live. That acapella break towards the end is just so cool.

Brian really gave it his all on Little Bird. I believe before the song started Al mentioned that it was one of Dennis's.

Diamond Head was another big highlight. Almost felt like we were sitting in on a Smile session or something, watching it unfold and wondering where it was going. If I'm honest I would not have even known what the song was. It sounded awesome and the band was having fun with it and really pushed it. Passing By sounded great too.

Til I Die was powerful, with Brian and the band giving it real commitment. And my jaw dropped open when they started Surf's Up... I haven't been peeking at the setlists so I really wasn't expecting it. Again, Brian seems fragile but clearly put real effort into the complicated phrasings of those early lines. Really quite moving to finally hear this one live.

A great Lookin' at Tomorrow from Al. I heard him do it on his club tour last year, and that was a mournful, intimate version. This was a strong funky one with the band really getting into it at the end.

Brian sounded good on Heroes and Villains... he seems to love that one and kept the groove all the way. They did the Cantina section too.

Then Good Vibrations (really nice from Brian and the band) and Fun Fun Fun (sounded rougher, with Brian's vocal struggling to keep up).

Finally, Love and Mercy with the whole band standing behind Brian and his piano linking arms, which is a lovely visual. Almost like they are all giving him a hug. Brian clearly wanted to get this one right, and other than an unfortunate cough on the first chorus it was just beautiful. Very moving and a perfect note to end on.

I would be curious what other folks in the crowd thought, as I'm sure there must have been some Zombies fans there and some people who came expecting to hear a greatest-hits package, and to get a lot of unfamiliar material with Brian seemingly diminished might have felt like a one-two punch. But very few people left early and it did feel like there was a generally happy buzz as the crowd filed out.

Many thanks to Brian and band for this tour. It was quite a special night.

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 27, 2019, 06:56:08 AM »

Was also at the Beacon show, don’t want to take the time to write a full review, but wanted to note here that after the show was over, none other than Bruce Johnston came out from backstage to talk to someone as things were getting packed up. Also, while a group of us were lurking around the buses afterwards, spotted Scott Totten and Tim Bonhomme coming out of a side exit as well. (No other Beach Boy sightings though, unfortunately…) They must have headed over to Brian’s show right after their performance at the George H.W. Bush Points of Light Awards Gala.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 06:58:27 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 27, 2019, 07:03:15 AM »

Was also at the Beacon show, don’t want to take the time to write a full review, but wanted to note here that after the show was over, none other than Bruce Johnston came out from backstage to talk to someone as things were getting packed up. Also, while a group of us were lurking around the buses, spotted Scott Totten and Tim Bonhomme coming out of a side exit as well. (No other Beach Boy sightings though, unfortunately…) They must have headed over to Brian’s show right after their performance at the George H.W. Bush Points of Light Awards Gala.

That's awesome! I wonder if Bruce got a chance to talk with Brian at all.

Really glad to see the positive reviews here...Nice to see and hear that Brian is putting in effort (obviously he isn't 20 years old anymore and isn't in tip-top shape, but you can tell he's trying), I really wish I could've gotten to one of his shows this year.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 27, 2019, 11:39:57 AM »

Pretty cool to hear about Bruce.

Interesting to note that nearly all the Beach Boys were in New York that night.
Brian, Al and Blondie at the Beacon, Mike and Bruce at the Bush gala and Ricky Fataar happened to be in town as well.
Apparently Blondie and Ricky (and Steve Fataar) bumped into each other in the streets on NYC! Photo evidence below.

Imagine if they all took the chance to meet for a photo op..

Anyone knows where Dave was that night? Smiley

https://imgur.com/FI2auYq

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:53:57 PM by STE » Logged
BigRed
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 27, 2019, 12:02:35 PM »

I’ve been wondering this for awhile....anyone know why Dave no longer tours with Brian & Al?  Would have been great to see them all together.

Sorry, I’m a bit new here!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx