gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:45:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208797 times)
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 06, 2019, 12:42:31 AM »

Surf's Up - https://www.reddit.com/r/thebeachboys/comments/czxkr2/surfs_up_brian_wilson_the_joint_las_vegas_aug/

Thanks to Surrealicious on Reddit

Props to Matt Jardine for nailing those high notes even better than he was with his dad at the solo shows. I cannot sing that high.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:45:31 AM by UEF » Logged
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 06, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »

Shorter show tonight in Phoenix than the previous shows... about 1:20. I know they didn’t perform ‘Til I Die, sadly, but otherwise I didn’t count songs or keep a set list. Did the “in the cantina” version of H&V. When Brian did sing, I thought his voice was stronger than I have heard it in years & he had some terrific moments. “Meant for You” & “Little Bird” were just two of them. Overall, an excellent show... far exceeded my expectations!
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 07, 2019, 12:44:35 AM »

No Til I Die?! I'd be mostly showing up for that one
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: September 07, 2019, 01:39:26 AM »

Alan White of Yes is joining Brian on stage on the show on the 16th at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle

roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 07, 2019, 08:19:20 AM »

Same.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 07, 2019, 09:32:31 AM »

Same.

After looking at the previous set list, I think the only other deletion in Phoenix was “Passing By”.  I don’ believe there were any additions, just a shorter show.

BTW... Brian entered and left the stage using a walker... No wheelchair last night.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 07, 2019, 12:51:08 PM »

When Brian did sing, I thought his voice was stronger than I have heard it in years & he had some terrific moments. “Meant for You” & “Little Bird” were just two of them. Overall, an excellent show... far exceeded my expectations!

That's great!

Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 07, 2019, 01:51:45 PM »

It appears the Zombies now have their full lineup for Odyssey and Oracle, so I would guess that's why Brian's set got shortened. Of course, they removed Til I Die and Passing By, which are two of the songs I was most looking forward to.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 07, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »

Alan introduced “Lookin’ At Tomorrow” as “ the last song from “Surf’s Up” we”ll be doing... I think”, then looked in Brian’s direction and added “Yes”. So, maybe “‘Til I Die” was a last-minute scratch for some reason & hasn’t been permanently removed.

The Zombies’ set was just under 1 hour. They didn’t fool around & pretty much played one song right after another, with probably no more than four or five stops for brief comments or introductions.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 07, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »

Surprised they would remove "Till I Die"...probably the greatest post-Pet Sounds composition in Brian's catalog, totally fits the theming of this tour, too.

It's still such a missed opportunity that they didn't pair the Pet Sounds tour with the Zombies' O&O tour. That would've been mind-blowing to encompass live in one evening. Also, props to The Zombies on taking the shorter set time. Brian Wilson and The Zombies tend to fill venues of about equal size on their own, and could have easily billed this as more of a co-headlining production.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 07, 2019, 08:20:49 PM »

Glad Bri seems to be more engaged. I certainly hope to hear Til I Die and Passing By, as well as the other deep cuts shown off recently, when I see BW and co on the 22nd.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: September 07, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »

Call me crazy but I’d love to hear Brian do A day in the life of a Tree. It’ll never happen of course but I think it’d actually sound pretty good and somewhat poignant

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 07, 2019, 10:34:25 PM »

Call me crazy but I’d love to hear Brian do A day in the life of a Tree. It’ll never happen of course but I think it’d actually sound pretty good and somewhat poignant
Especially with his more aged voice. Now that would be an interesting way to end his career.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: September 08, 2019, 12:45:49 AM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/thebeachboys/comments/cygpis/most_of_busy_doin_nothin_brian_wilson_the_joint/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: September 08, 2019, 01:19:16 AM »

I was at tonight's show at Pala. Brian did well for most of the show, only doing his talking singing voice for the PS selections. The setlist was the same as Phoenix, minus Do It Again. The band was in great form and was having fun! There is a new percussionist, not sure what his name is, as they did not do band intros tonight.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: September 08, 2019, 01:45:40 AM »

His singing fits here quite nicely. A little laid back and ragged but not unpleasant.

Same.

After looking at the previous set list, I think the only other deletion in Phoenix was “Passing By”.  I don’ believe there were any additions, just a shorter show.

How strange to play a tour advertised as highlighting "Friends" and "Surf's up" and then the first songs getting cut from the shows are from these albums.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:46:39 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 08, 2019, 07:40:50 AM »

As good as Brian sounds compared to previous tours and even though the setlist is still solid my only real motivation to go was to hear Passing By and Till I Die and of course those were cut  Roll Eyes
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: September 08, 2019, 08:37:59 AM »

Here's a review of the Phoenix show...my brother and his daughter attended, and said it was all-in-all great:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/09/07/brian-wilson-zombies-do-their-legends-proud-something-great-68-tour-phoenix/2245682001/
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 08, 2019, 08:45:31 AM »

Same.

After looking at the previous set list, I think the only other deletion in Phoenix was “Passing By”.  I don’ believe there were any additions, just a shorter show.

How strange to play a tour advertised as highlighting "Friends" and "Surf's up" and then the first songs getting cut from the shows are from these albums.
[/quote]

My error. They also didn’t play “Do It Again” in Phoenix. Twenty-six songs, down from the start of the tour’s twenty-nine.
DisneySpirit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 08, 2019, 08:47:21 AM »

Alan introduced “Lookin’ At Tomorrow” as “ the last song from “Surf’s Up” we”ll be doing... I think”, then looked in Brian’s direction and added “Yes”. So, maybe “‘Til I Die” was a last-minute scratch for some reason & hasn’t been permanently removed.

The Zombies’ set was just under 1 hour. They didn’t fool around & pretty much played one song right after another, with probably no more than four or five stops for brief comments or introductions.

The other song not performed in Phoenix that was performed for the previous 2 venues was "Do It Again"  The concert in CA on 9/7 had the same set list as Phoenix of only 26 songs so it wasn't last minute. Also Blondie posted his paper set list for Phoenix on Facebook and it had just the 26 songs performed on it.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 08, 2019, 12:38:40 PM »

Honestly why does Brian bother taking lead vocal duties anymore? I keep wondering why he just doesn't stick to introducing the songs and takes a few lines, like the bridge in Surfer Girl. People are there to experience the music of Brian with Brian present. It's not like he must sing to please the audience. Brian didn't even perform for many years while the rest of the group sang his songs.

Is even really that motivated to sing the leads?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 08, 2019, 01:06:40 PM »

Honestly why does Brian bother taking lead vocal duties anymore? I keep wondering why he just doesn't stick to introducing the songs and takes a few lines, like the bridge in Surfer Girl. People are there to experience the music of Brian with Brian present. It's not like he must sing to please the audience. Brian didn't even perform for many years while the rest of the group sang his songs.

Brian loves to tour, Brian loves live performing.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 08, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »

I think Cabinessenceking's point was that when Brian was touring with The Beach Boys on and off in the 70's and 80's, he was barely taking any leads, disregarding 81 and Carl's absence,  (maybe Surfer Girl and Sloop), yet he was still TOURING. Maybe even at some points enjoying it, but we know that's a complicated history.

If Brian is in physical pain while singing, and sings in a certain way to prevent pain, I don't think any fans would be disappointed in the return to Surfer Girl Bridge/Sloop Intro format. And if he feels like singing lead , he will do so.  Say one night, out of the blue, Bri wants to play Marcella or Row Your Boat, let him go for it. But if he's more comfortable just playing piano and singing backgrounds, if at all, that would be totally fine with me! Hell, I'd say any band is made better by having Brian f*cking Wilson(!) filling in your mix with piano chord changes. Their HIS songs, so he would know the interesting chord voicings that make the songs unique, so having a BW show, with him just playing piano would be fine by me. I think it could be marketed just fine- he's the musical genius, behind the majestic grand piano... nonetheless, I remember instances where BW said he wants to be remembered as a singer (can't remember which interview video), and he's been singing his whole life.

I understand Brian likes touring, and I 100% encourage him to follow his heart, but if singing lead is *hurting* him (with back issues and what not), give it to one of the Jardines, Darian, hell- Gary is great, so are Jim, Randell, Ron, Probyn, etc... If Bri genuinely wants to tour, I think that's amazing and inspiring.   I still wish he'd strap on the bass for Barbara Ann and the encore, even if he was just sitting. When he did that it was so cool.  Cool
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:39:23 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: September 08, 2019, 01:45:28 PM »

Brian loves to tour, Brian loves live performing.

Brian has gone on record saying that when he’s on stage the auditory hallucinations don’t bother him as much. So rather than post some of the snarky comments you’ve been posting, maybe having just the tiniest bit of compassion would be the way to go?

Nate, I agree with you100%

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 08, 2019, 02:10:49 PM »

Quote: Brian Wilson has announced that he's postponing his upcoming tour to focus on his mental health. “As you may know in the last year or so I've had 3 surgeries on my back. The surgeries were successful and I'm physically stronger than i've been in a long time,” he explained in a new post on his official website.Jun 6, 2019

This from June. To have 3 ‘successful’ back surgeries in one year sounds like marketing b/s to me, and I am yet to be convinced things are actually getting better physically for the guy despite some improvement in his singing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx