gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:26:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 209775 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: August 30, 2019, 10:47:30 AM »

Thanks for your thoughtful posts, Rab! You've brought up good points and questions.

Non-English speakers' tone and statements can be harsher than expected, as we have definitely found out on this board. The OP certainly has a lot of love for Brian, and maybe it is helpful to keep that in mind when they make a statement like "using him like a puppet". I agree, in English that's very bad. But, you can also just decide to give them the benefit of the doubt and not consider it board-bannable slander. Smiley

On the other hand, it is hilarious when the guy who has spent tens of thousands of hours graffiti-ing Mike Love hatred all around the internet is so quick to support an internet ban due to slander.

It would help all of us to remember that only a small minority of the detractors actually think that there is a group conspiracy to mine resources out of Brian. It could be that Brian is, after all these years, actually doing what he wants, but he also knows that lots of people are relying on him (and keeping him going) and as such he is choosing to "take one for the team" sometimes. Given his history and the grand scale of his touring machine that can appear nefarious from certain outside perspectives. Just food for thought.

I understand and respect your opinions, but just to remind readers of the post which started all this, here it is:

I often read that it is not the real beach boys who are touring today. Hum... who will try to make me believe that Brian's shows are really Brian's shows. He can't move, can't sing, the backing band does all the job. Brian is not here for the rehearsals, but in the shows, it's the same. So sad to watch his wife using him like a puppet. And some people love those shows...awfull! His personnal renditions are an offense to his great songs. He should really stay at home.
Some people are happy to watch those rehearsals. The fendertons do the same, but they don't try to make us believe that Brian is a part of this.
And believe me... I really love Brian Wilson, my heroe.

No language differences would explain away the tone of those comments.  They're right there for all to read. And the irony yet again is after a loaded post like that, the poster says he's going to leave because of the "hate". So the comments above came from a place of love and respect? Ironic indeed.

Further irony comes when you see the poster's own YouTube channel where he posted multiple videos from one of Brian's shows he saw in July 2017 and still has them available to watch. If they're so "awful", why have them on your own channel?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSyOFGmpFFY  The awful part of that rendition of L&M is the guy either in the audience or holding the phone/camera singing off-key with the song.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 30, 2019, 11:03:01 AM »

Yeah man, I know lol, I am trying real hard to give him the L&M treatment with that rant.  LOL
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 30, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »

I'd like to know what David Leaf thinks of Brian's live performances in the last 3 or 4 years - this was the guy who chastised the Beach Boys family for parading Brian around onstage in the late 70's like he was a circus animal. In Leaf's view, it didn't matter to the BB's and the family that Brian just sat frozen onstage behind his grand piano most of the time; people wanted to see Brian, so, here he is...even if most of the time he looks like he would rather be ANYWHERE but on that stage in front of all those people. But somehow, in 2019, that is not an issue, because Brian repeatedly tells the press that he loves touring.
If I believed every word that comes out of Brian's mouth, then i'd also have to believe him everytime he told a reporter that Gene Landy saved his life, that he had not been brainwashed by Landy, that he was a willing participant in the Landy program.
Well, maybe the guy has a really good poker face, maybe he does love being on stage and everything else that goes with touring. If that's the case, then I wish him well. Maybe he just feels responsible for keeping his band employed.
Maybe Leaf did have a change of heart once he got to know Brian. When he wrote the book back in the late 70's, he hadn't met the man himself. Back at that time, he had the view - based partially on conversations with various insiders - that Brian was being manipulated, controlled, etc. He pointed that finger directly at the Beach Boys themselves, Brian's family, Dr. Landy - i would think that's gotta be just as offensive as blaming the people around him today? Or was that more of a consensus view at the time, "the Beach Boys are dragging him onstage against his will", "the Beach Boys are forcing him to contribute to the albums against his will", "they are ignoring his personal problems, it's just all about that cash cow"?

I recall reading a post on this very board describing a backstage scene in the early- or mid-2000s where David Leaf was observed yelling at Brian for his unwillingness to take the stage at a particular show. Was that hypocricy, or a case of Leaf finally realizing that going onstage was in Brian's best interest, despite how he felt at that particular moment?

As far as Landy saving Brian's life - he certainly did, just as Murry was responsible in many ways for the band's early success. Doesn't mean either of them was a good person and didn't also do despicable things to Brian, but it's the truth.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 30, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »

I'd like to know what David Leaf thinks of Brian's live performances in the last 3 or 4 years - this was the guy who chastised the Beach Boys family for parading Brian around onstage in the late 70's like he was a circus animal. In Leaf's view, it didn't matter to the BB's and the family that Brian just sat frozen onstage behind his grand piano most of the time; people wanted to see Brian, so, here he is...even if most of the time he looks like he would rather be ANYWHERE but on that stage in front of all those people. But somehow, in 2019, that is not an issue, because Brian repeatedly tells the press that he loves touring.
If I believed every word that comes out of Brian's mouth, then i'd also have to believe him everytime he told a reporter that Gene Landy saved his life, that he had not been brainwashed by Landy, that he was a willing participant in the Landy program.
Well, maybe the guy has a really good poker face, maybe he does love being on stage and everything else that goes with touring. If that's the case, then I wish him well. Maybe he just feels responsible for keeping his band employed.
Maybe Leaf did have a change of heart once he got to know Brian. When he wrote the book back in the late 70's, he hadn't met the man himself. Back at that time, he had the view - based partially on conversations with various insiders - that Brian was being manipulated, controlled, etc. He pointed that finger directly at the Beach Boys themselves, Brian's family, Dr. Landy - i would think that's gotta be just as offensive as blaming the people around him today? Or was that more of a consensus view at the time, "the Beach Boys are dragging him onstage against his will", "the Beach Boys are forcing him to contribute to the albums against his will", "they are ignoring his personal problems, it's just all about that cash cow"?

I recall reading a post on this very board describing a backstage scene in the early- or mid-2000s where David Leaf was observed yelling at Brian for his unwillingness to take the stage at a particular show. Was that hypocricy, or a case of Leaf finally realizing that going onstage was in Brian's best interest, despite how he felt at that particular moment?

As far as Landy saving Brian's life - he certainly did, just as Murry was responsible in many ways for the band's early success. Doesn't mean either of them was a good person and didn't also do despicable things to Brian, but it's the truth.

Where did the idea come from that David never spoke with Brian while writing the book? I was around at the time, and - as long as it's been - I'm quite certain he said he had spoken with Brian.

Ray Lawlor has already spoken about the "David yelling at Brian" incident on these pages I'm sure. I don't have the time for a search but I'm sure it's available here. While I don't remember all the details, Ray essentially said that Brian asked and thanked people for demanding the best from him.

The whole, annoyingly repeated accusation that Melinda is forcing Brian to tour is just stupid. I know she was hoping to retire several years ago. It's Brian who wants to stay on the road. At least a lot of the good people who I know who doubted my word about this are happily, friends of the band, and they confirmed this.

As far as David's opinion of the shows today, you'd have to ask him.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 30, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »

I think there are just lots of grey areas happening here, and lots of stuff that it's absolutely impossible to qualify from the outside.

Ultimately it is damn near impossible for an outsider to objectively look at Brian's actions/decisions in the same manner as that outsider would look at the actions/decisions made by a person other than Brian Wilson, due to his unique history and personality. He has done/said so many contradictory things publicly over the years, that people sometimes feel they can apply a "Choose Your Own Adventure" scenario to further an agenda that they either feels makes the most logical sense, or confirms some bias that they have. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I absolutely think it does not make logical sense to think that all of the bandmates in The Brian Wilson Band would idly sit by for literally decades watching Brian being forced to do stuff he just plain doesn't want to do.  Let's remember the Beautiful Dreamer doc: they've also witnessed Brian looking depressed on a couch during the SMiLE tour prep sessions, only to watch a triumphant Brian reap the emotional rewards of pushing through those tough times a short time later. I'm sure that type of stuff happens with Brian a lot. Negative and outwardly (by Brian himself) bad vibes, but pushing through for a positive reward at the end.

That said... is Melinda controlling, and perhaps too much so sometimes? Well possibly to a degree, and again this is something we can only speculate on. Ultimately, I'm sure she has her husband's best wishes in mind. She's only human herself, and imperfect I'm sure. I do think she's doing the best she can, given the very unique situation that Brian is in. Much like Marilyn, Melinda finds herself in a very, very unique and challenging situation as a spouse. Yet Melinda's actions must sometimes - and even understandably so - give off the vibe of being too controlling sometimes. Carnie at one point as I recall did publicly call her Me-landy, but that was a long time ago.  I mention that only because I think it must be easy - even for a family member - to at first glance misinterpret some of what Melinda probably has to do for her husband's sake.  With them, surely things were rough behind the scenes at one point, and maybe they didn't get along for many reasons.  IMO, I don't think of Melinda as a saint or incapable of making bad decisions. Among other things, I think the fact that Brian was nudged away from Paley and to Autotune Joe is ridiculous, to put it lightly.  

However - and this is a big however - the fact that Carnie did *not* continue with making those types of remarks tells me that she's had a change of heart, even if she and her stepmom are likely not BFFs. To suggest otherwise is pretty unthinkable. There's no big conspiracy of people close to Brian/family being paid off to shut up and be muzzled about legit concern for Brian being forced to do touring against his will. Do people think this? It almost seems to be implied by some people's posts.  

I don't buy it. The situation is nuanced, complicated and complex I'm sure, well beyond what any of us can comprehend. But unless in 2019 Brian's band and loved ones are publicly showing concern that Brian is being forced/coerced, I think it's fair to think that suggesting Brian is being forced/coerced is not in fact an accurate statement. Now would every single family member and friend of Brian agree 100% with every life/career choice that Brian has made during his solo era? I'm sure not. Everyone's going to have their opinion about a whole lot of stuff. I'm sure some people are more right about some choices and others more right about others. Imperfect people making imperfect decisions. But Brian is still here, against all odds. It is possible to think Melinda is worthy of criticism and yet also think she is not some evil person forcing Brian to tour against his will. Just remember that.

I think most people around Brian would agree that if Brian did not have a support system in place, he'd be in a far worse place in his life, or would not have made it this far. I'm sure Brian needs pep talks and coaxing for his own benefit. Touring for Brian in 2019 may to some degree possibly be considered both by Brian and his loved ones as the lesser of two evils. In that, maybe it's something Brian is starting to become weary of to some degree (about certain elements of touring)... but perhaps he fears the unknowns or slipping into bad habits and depression that might happen if he doesn't have shows to distract him. I'm sure there's still joy Brian's getting from touring, and maybe there's no other way to get that joy he craves.

Is that really so hard for some people to fathom? Same with Mike at this point, frankly. These guys grew up doing music stuff all the time, and having their schedule filled with the next show, the next recording session, interview, etc. They're wired for it.

Let's face it - I wish Brian was still writing songs, but if he doesn't have writing new material left in him at this point, but his brain has been wired to do one of two things: either be productive doing music stuff, or get depressed hearing voices/thinking about his late brothers/slipping into bad habits... then perhaps touring in 2019 is the closest thing he's able to do (to replicate the keeping busy doing music stuff type of lifestyle) that he is able to accomplish at 77. I think both Brian and his wife realize this. Give him (and her) a break.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 03:32:55 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 30, 2019, 06:22:07 PM »

https://www.desertsun.com/story/life/2019/08/29/brian-wilson-writing-songs-beach-boys-founder-unsure-new-album-touring-zombies/2152535001/

Can we read this article and just agree we love the music? Doesn’t matter who or what entity is in control let’s just be happy the beach boys music is out there! I’m just tryin to “Keep the summer Alive” I’m only 24 I’ve been to 35 Beach Boys related concerts and I’ve loved ever single one’!

Love & Mercy

Derek
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:23:03 PM by baseball95 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: August 30, 2019, 06:24:55 PM »

The whole, annoyingly repeated accusation that Melinda is forcing Brian to tour is just stupid. I know she was hoping to retire several years ago. It's Brian who wants to stay on the road. At least a lot of the good people who I know who doubted my word about this are happily, friends of the band, and they confirmed this.  

EXACTLY. God, I wish I could use that as my signature, but even then people wouldn't believe it. I've said it, what, how many times now? About 50, 60 million times?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 30, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »

Thanks for your thoughtful posts, Rab! You've brought up good points and questions.

Non-English speakers' tone and statements can be harsher than expected, as we have definitely found out on this board. The OP certainly has a lot of love for Brian, and maybe it is helpful to keep that in mind when they make a statement like "using him like a puppet". I agree, in English that's very bad. But, you can also just decide to give them the benefit of the doubt and not consider it board-bannable slander. Smiley

On the other hand, it is hilarious when the guy who has spent tens of thousands of hours graffiti-ing Mike Love hatred all around the internet is so quick to support an internet ban due to slander.

It would help all of us to remember that only a small minority of the detractors actually think that there is a group conspiracy to mine resources out of Brian. It could be that Brian is, after all these years, actually doing what he wants, but he also knows that lots of people are relying on him (and keeping him going) and as such he is choosing to "take one for the team" sometimes. Given his history and the grand scale of his touring machine that can appear nefarious from certain outside perspectives. Just food for thought.

As I said before, Mike Love gets what he gives. Many, hundreds of others who are not necessarily affiliated with this board, have expressed their dislike for Mike Love in the same vein as I have. In fact, there are several sites that dedicate themselves to their distaste of him "all around the internet" which by your post, you've been an active reader. As a band member who certainly owes his lifestyle to another band member, Mike Love has taken liberty to infest his interview comments with negative references to the man that kept him from working in a metal fabrication shop. So, regardless of while you spread your food for thought LOL, Think about this KP, Mike Love readily deserves, yes deserves any negative comment he gets, and that's getting off very lightly indeed.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: August 30, 2019, 08:28:25 PM »

I didn’t think about the fact that he’s not a native English speaker, but I can’t think of any language where it wouldn’t come off as nice once “wife” was included, along with the nature of the other posts the OP made. A language barrier doesn’t excuse acting like an ass. Just saying
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:28:53 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: August 30, 2019, 08:30:30 PM »

https://www.desertsun.com/story/life/2019/08/29/brian-wilson-writing-songs-beach-boys-founder-unsure-new-album-touring-zombies/2152535001/

Can we read this article and just agree we love the music? Doesn’t matter who or what entity is in control let’s just be happy the beach boys music is out there! I’m just tryin to “Keep the summer Alive” I’m only 24 I’ve been to 35 Beach Boys related concerts and I’ve loved ever single one’!

Love & Mercy

Derek

Works for me!

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 30, 2019, 09:38:17 PM »

I often read that it is not the real beach boys who are touring today. Hum... who will try to make me believe that Brian's shows are really Brian's shows. He can't move, can't sing, the backing band does all the job. Brian is not here for the rehearsals, but in the shows, it's the same. So sad to watch his wife using him like a puppet. And some people love those shows...awfull! His personnal renditions are an offense to his great songs. He should really stay at home.
Some people are happy to watch those rehearsals. The fendertons do the same, but they don't try to make us believe that Brian is a part of this.

After posting this, how can this mustomax say he loves Brian Wilson and that he's his heroE Huh Huh Looks fairly contradictory to me.  Roll Eyes

Watching a guy who have nothing to do on a stage is a love proof. Sure... "this mustomax" really doesn't care what a guy like you can think.  If you're happy to see Brian on a wheel chair behind a piano not able to play or to sing that's good for you. If you like the show posted on youtube 2 monthes ago watch it again and again. I stopped aftet 15 minutes. It made me cry..

Mustomax, in case you haven’t left, I want to gently suggest that you think carefully about your comments about the wheelchair.  You seem to suggest that because Brian is in a wheelchair...what, he shouldn’t be onstage?  He should just stay home?  Would this same logic apply to all artists - able-bodied only, please, disabled need not apply?  You can think what you want about his performance, i.e. singing and playing, but the fact that he uses a wheelchair is completely irrelevant.  He’s a musician, not a ####ing ballerina, so what difference does it make if he’s in a wheelchair?  The fact that he uses one does not mean he’s to be pitied, it does not mean he’s somehow “less”.  On the contrary, I see it as proof of his strength and determination.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:40:42 PM by marcella27 » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #486 on: August 30, 2019, 09:47:01 PM »

Is anybody else going to see Brian & The Zombies tomorrow night in Las Vegas? My son and I are going and we would like to meet some more fans before the show. Feel free to send me a Private Message.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: August 30, 2019, 10:29:49 PM »

After posting this, how can this mustomax say he loves Brian Wilson and that he's his heroE Huh Huh Looks fairly contradictory to me.  Roll Eyes

Watching a guy who have nothing to do on a stage is a love proof. Sure... "this mustomax" really doesn't care what a guy like you can think.  If you're happy to see Brian on a wheel chair behind a piano not able to play or to sing that's good for you. If you like the show posted on youtube 2 monthes ago watch it again and again. I stopped aftet 15 minutes. It made me cry..

Mustomax, in case you haven’t left, I want to gently suggest that you think carefully about your comments about the wheelchair.  You seem to suggest that because Brian is in a wheelchair...what, he shouldn’t be onstage?  He should just stay home?  Would this same logic apply to all artists - able-bodied only, please, disabled need not apply?  You can think what you want about his performance, i.e. singing and playing, but the fact that he uses a wheelchair is completely irrelevant.  He’s a musician, not a ####ing ballerina, so what difference does it make if he’s in a wheelchair?  The fact that he uses one does not mean he’s to be pitied, it does not mean he’s somehow “less”.  On the contrary, I see it as proof of his strength and determination. 

100% agreed

twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 31, 2019, 04:34:16 AM »

After posting this, how can this mustomax say he loves Brian Wilson and that he's his heroE Huh Huh Looks fairly contradictory to me.  Roll Eyes

Watching a guy who have nothing to do on a stage is a love proof. Sure... "this mustomax" really doesn't care what a guy like you can think.  If you're happy to see Brian on a wheel chair behind a piano not able to play or to sing that's good for you. If you like the show posted on youtube 2 monthes ago watch it again and again. I stopped aftet 15 minutes. It made me cry..

Mustomax, in case you haven’t left, I want to gently suggest that you think carefully about your comments about the wheelchair.  You seem to suggest that because Brian is in a wheelchair...what, he shouldn’t be onstage?  He should just stay home?  Would this same logic apply to all artists - able-bodied only, please, disabled need not apply?  You can think what you want about his performance, i.e. singing and playing, but the fact that he uses a wheelchair is completely irrelevant.  He’s a musician, not a ####ing ballerina, so what difference does it make if he’s in a wheelchair?  The fact that he uses one does not mean he’s to be pitied, it does not mean he’s somehow “less”.  On the contrary, I see it as proof of his strength and determination.  

Hahaha, You have to understand what he/she meant, that was not a dig at the unfortunate disabled people. It was a dig at Brian being a puppet on stage nowadays.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:38:22 AM by twentytwenty » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: August 31, 2019, 10:28:29 AM »

Except he’s NOT a damn puppet.

Someone copy paste me and Debbie ‘s posts because I’m tired of saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 31, 2019, 10:48:27 AM »

"Unfortunate disabled people"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 31, 2019, 02:30:57 PM »

Brian wants to tour. He’s touring.

Like it? Great. Don’t like it? Fine.

That’s it. Anything else, beyond discussing the content of the shows themselves, is masturbatory hyperbole.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 31, 2019, 02:45:24 PM »

That’s it. Anything else, beyond discussing the content of the shows themselves, is masturbatory hyperbole.

Game. Set. Match.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
rogerlancelot
« Reply #493 on: August 31, 2019, 04:02:19 PM »

And Masturbatory Hyperbole is the name of a Kansas City based jam band.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: August 31, 2019, 04:06:41 PM »

That’s probably the second weirdest band name I’ve heard, right after a band I produced about 20 years ago named (I sh*t you not) Kunte Kinte and his wheat-eating bees “

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: August 31, 2019, 09:47:22 PM »

Is anybody else going to see Brian & The Zombies tomorrow night in Las Vegas? My son and I are going and we would like to meet some more fans before the show. Feel free to send me a Private Message.

Let us know how it goes!

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 31, 2019, 11:14:11 PM »

Couple of early clips. Credit where due, his singing seems to have improved!

https://youtu.be/UYgKDbk9GU8

https://youtu.be/Qhe8LCrvF84
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 31, 2019, 11:25:24 PM »

Much more confident vocals from Brian in those clips, but those hits typically do have more confident vocals...especially "California Girls". Anxious to see the setlist...despite Brian's deterioration this year, I'd still love to see this tour and am truly bummed it isn't coming close enough.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 31, 2019, 11:54:07 PM »

The setlist for today's concert can be found here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2019/the-joint-at-hard-rock-hotel-las-vegas-nv-6b9f6e82.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:55:16 PM by Wata » Logged
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 01, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »

Set additions from “Friends”:

Meant for You
Friends
Wake the World
Be Here in the Morning
Little Bird
Passing By