gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:07:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208946 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2019, 10:48:44 AM »

I completely agree with the idea that as long as people pay to see Brian perform, then ultimately that is the marker.

Personally speaking, I disagree and I think most people would disagree with that as a principle. For example, if I produced heroin, there would probably be a huge and endless market for it. That being said, I wouldn't personally feel good about continuing to supply people with heroin, even if they wanted it and kept coming back for it.

Now, surely, someone will miss my point here and interpret this as me comparing going to a Brian Wilson concert to taking heroin, which I'm not doing. What I am doing is saying that we don't really accept as a principle that we should keep supplying a product as long as there is a market for it.

Sure, and I get what you are saying...and let's face it we encounter inferior goods and services pretty much every day of our lives, and some we continue to consume, and some we decide that no, there isn't any value for us in purchasing. And some still, are removed from the marketplace for legal, ethical and safety reasons. Some continue to exist in 'black' markets, obviously based on demand.

I guess my point is that since everything is subjective, there may be a lot of people who want to buy tickets to see Brian perform, regardless of the quality of 'his' performance: vocally or otherwise. A hardcore Brianista might be happy to shell out big bucks just to be in the same venue as Brian...and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Well, I know you didn't say otherwise, but again personally I do think it's a bit strange if people are paying money just to be in the same venue as someone else. Again, if I was doing that, I would seriously sit down and re-evaluate some things about who I am but I'm not going to put that on someone else.

Furthermore, in a very hypothetical situation, if I felt that my buying a ticket to see someone do a concert was preventing that person from dealing with their issues in the healthiest way possible, then I might actually consider there being something wrong with that. To give an example that some of you might know, there's a comedian named Artie Lange who is a very troubled person. I don't follow his constant activities so he might be in jail now or he might not be. For years, many people close to Lange told him that he had to stop doing stand-up shows because it was a big factor in him turning back to drug and alcohol abuse; however, for him, the money factor was just too great. To pass up these shows meant passing up big money. But I think it is absolutely the case that buying a ticket to see his shows was in some ways contributing to his issues.

You could make the same case about any number of entertainers through the years. Look at Britney Spears, who just had a very successful and profitable Vegas residency, after some very disturbing mental health related meltdowns, followed by even more of the same after the residency ended. Were people buying tickets to her shows contributing to all she was dealing with?

I'd also look further back to the 50's and 60's - Were people watching TV and laughing at Oscar Levant and Jonathan Winters, to name two, contributing to their mental health issues? These two were hilarious guests, however they also were dealing with severe mental health issues that required treatment at psychiatric facilities, and in some appearances viewers would watch and laugh at Oscar Levant literally zoning out on TV due to his issues, and laughing like it was his schtick or some kind of a comedy bit.

But maybe - and I honestly don't know - performing for the public was how they were dealing with the issues. The power to make people happy and make them laugh is a really, really strong emotion just the same, and I don't know how much I'd guilt audiences who would go see them no matter what their reasons.

I think that you could make that case with the people you mention, yes.

And I'm not trying to make people feel guilty about this - people can make those decisions for themselves. But I just want to put a bit of pressure on your point that "performing for the public was how they were dealing with the issues." In many ways, that's part of what I have been touching on. In fact, Brian Wilson himself has said that when he is on stage, he doesn't hear the voices in his head as much. Now on the surface, we can look at that and say, that's great! Being on stage is helping. On the other hand, I think some people might look at that and say that he (or, take whoever you want, Britney Spears, Rodney Dangerfield, etc.) is using the stage as a temporary fix and a way of avoiding confronting their demons. Indeed, someone like say Rodney Dangerfield probably did feel best when he was on stage but he was ultimately very unhappy throughout his life because and maybe it was because he used audience laughter the way other people use drugs and alcohol (also, he used drugs and alcohol the way other people use drugs and alcohol). So that leads me back to my initial point which is whether in any of these cases there were other things that these performers could have done that would have been helpful to them.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »

Something I’ve realized as I’ve gotten older is that basically our entire entertainment infrastructure in this country — music, movies, TV, theater, you name it — is built on the backs of desperately unhappy people. Normal, well-adjusted folks are not driven to seek out audiences at all costs.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »

Something I’ve realized as I’ve gotten older is that basically our entire entertainment infrastructure in this country — music, movies, TV, theater, you name it — is built on the backs of desperately unhappy people. Normal, well-adjusted folks are not driven to seek out audiences at all costs.

Yes, I think there's a lot of truth to this.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: August 09, 2019, 11:31:41 AM »

This is probably a piece of speculation that is going a bit too far, I understand if I'm called out for it. I do not believe anyone is making tour but Brian Wilson himself. Is it possible that Brian is forcing himself to do this? Is he actually causing himself physical pain and making himself get out on the road and on stage even when he isn't physically or mentally for it? Pressure to do this could come from a past of NOT doing it that much, the success of recent years, a desire to keep the music alive on stage etc. Maybe those around him should try and convince him of a different performance arrangement. Maybe he could work out a residency arrangement close to home at a theatre somewhere, like Billy Joel has done at MSG and do one or two appearances in big cities elsewhere in the country at his leisure.

Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 09, 2019, 12:01:55 PM »

I believe that often the personality profile of many of these types of performers have large amounts of dissociation, aka being on stage is self-understood as being someone completely different than who you have to deal with on a daily basis.  This can catch up with them, be very exhausting, and make the life of a performance artist very difficult and susceptible to burnout.  I think this ties in with what Wirestone posted.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: August 09, 2019, 12:15:25 PM »

Don't wanna get this thread too bogged down with a bunch of talk of what the reunion tour should have done seven years ago (and believe me, I can go on and on when it comes to that subject!), but when I was discussing a Vegas residency, I was talking pretty much exclusively about the reunion lineup. I don't think any of the respective offshoot bands (Brian or Mike, or any other iteration) would sustain the larger, high-end, multi-year contract lucrative residencies.

I'll also say that Vegas shows now, actual rock/pop concerts, are not what they were like 30-40+ years ago. Had the reunion band taken on a Vegas residency, it wouldn't have been back to cheerleaders and fake palm trees. It would have and could have been the C50 stage set (I guess minus the "50" logo eventually?), and could have been the same show. Yes, on the shorter end. But Vegas isn't 50 cent hot dog buffets and dancers and jugglers roaming around on stage. When it comes to rock shows anyway. They would just be doing the same show more or less, just planted down in a small arena type venue (or large theater, whatever one wants to call it).

Here's a couple posts from Howie describing some scenarios (which I agree could have included mixing in regular tour legs rather than staying exclusively in Vegas):

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18325.msg477554.html#msg477554

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18325.msg477568.html#msg477568

Now, back to Brian, I do think that, assuming they'd want to forego the 2016/2017 format of doing like 100 shows per year, they could seek out some sort of residency. It could be in Vegas if on the smaller side, or in the LA area. I think the reasons for Brian doing a residency would be pretty different from what we've discussed in the past for the reunion band. For Brian, it would be more about just staying active and getting some of the benefits he wants out of playing live.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 09, 2019, 03:32:19 PM »

This is probably a piece of speculation that is going a bit too far, I understand if I'm called out for it. I do not believe anyone is making tour but Brian Wilson himself. Is it possible that Brian is forcing himself to do this? Is he actually causing himself physical pain and making himself get out on the road and on stage even when he isn't physically or mentally for it? Pressure to do this could come from a past of NOT doing it that much, the success of recent years, a desire to keep the music alive on stage etc. Maybe those around him should try and convince him of a different performance arrangement. Maybe he could work out a residency arrangement close to home at a theatre somewhere, like Billy Joel has done at MSG and do one or two appearances in big cities elsewhere in the country at his leisure.

I like to think that Brian is actually happy on the road - looking out the window ever so often to see the countryside from the tour bus, sitting in his leather chair watching some tv, eating different kinds of food from all over the country, and of course getting into the rhythm of the show during soundcheck (where I've seen him really active and joyful about performing with his band). I think you raise some good points to ponder, especially that he may be causing himself mental and physical pain. However, I will counter that by saying that Brian just took himself off touring for a while because he was having mental issues...and I think it was easily deduced that the mental issues he started having were the result of back surgery gone awry (and the meds following)...not the touring. So obviously he tries to keep his mental health in check. And like any man he could just be stubborn about his pain from the back surgery...is that good for him? Well on the flip side he could be at home not really interacting with the world around him and his back would still be hurting the hell out of him. So I'm inclined to think that at least mentally he is better off on the road than sitting around in his house.

And here's another thing: perhaps Brian hearing applause and cheers is enjoyable to him - especially after NPP. Remember when he recorded NPP and he got trashed both by supposed "fans" of his and the music press? One chipper music critic said that NPP reminded him of an old wheelchair bound man (Brian) being wheeled out to Thanksgiving dinner and being "forced" the interact with people at the table...how condescending is that? And imagine if Brian himself read that? Anywho, if he was aware of any of that controversy he probably does like hearing some recognition for his work these days. Just speculation of course.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 09, 2019, 03:39:12 PM »

Does anyone think that if Brian did stop touring, there would be enough of a market for a second BB band for Al (and Blondie and/or David Marks, because he occasionally has done shows with Al) to continue on with part of Brian’s band and Al’s 2-piece Storytellers Band?

Lineup as such:
Al - vocals, guitars, banjo, double bass
Blondie - vocals, guitars, tambourine?, bass?
David - vocals, guitars (optional, because he hasn’t done many shows outside of 1997-1999 and 2012-2013)
Matt Jardine - vocals, percussion, guitar
Jeff Alan Ross - backing vocals, keyboards (optional, probably too many people already)
Billy Hinsche - vocals, keyboards, vibes, guitars
Darian - vocals, keyboards, vibes, tannerin (assuming it’s owned by Brian and not Probyn, and could be loaned), percussion
Ed Carter or Mike D’Amico - bass
Bobby Figueroa or Mike D’Amico - drums
Paul von Mertens - saxophones, flutes, harmonicas
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 09, 2019, 04:42:21 PM »

Does anyone think that if Brian did stop touring, there would be enough of a market for a second BB band for Al (and Blondie and/or David Marks, because he occasionally has done shows with Al) to continue on with part of Brian’s band and Al’s 2-piece Storytellers Band?

Lineup as such:
David - vocals, guitars (optional, because he hasn’t done many shows outside of 1997-1999 and 2012-2013)
Jeff Alan Ross - backing vocals, keyboards (optional, probably too many people already)
Darian - vocals, keyboards, vibes, tannerin (assuming it’s owned by Brian and not Probyn, and could be loaned), percussion

I would go to this show. I saw Al live earlier this year, and it was great. I'm going to an M+B show later this month. I haven't gone to a Brian Wilson show since 2016, and after hearing clips of Brian singing live over the last three years, I think it would take a last tour announcement for me to go back.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 09, 2019, 04:55:14 PM »

As a one off tribute deal? Sure, but I don’t think the numbers would stack up for anything ongoing. Brian has ‘legend’ status due to his work. Al, by far the best voice still going, doesn’t.

I think Al has hit the sweet spot tour wise with his story teller theme.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 09, 2019, 06:20:26 PM »

As a one off tribute deal? Sure, but I don’t think the numbers would stack up for anything ongoing. Brian has ‘legend’ status due to his work. Al, by far the best voice still going, doesn’t. I think Al has hit the sweet spot tour wise with his story teller theme.

Just curious to hear others’ ideas and thought maybe Al’s demand would increase if Brian wasn’t touring.

Lineup as such:

I would go to this show. I saw Al live earlier this year, and it was great. I'm going to an M+B show later this month. I haven't gone to a Brian Wilson show since 2016, and after hearing clips of Brian singing live over the last three years, I think it would take a last tour announcement for me to go back.

Agreed. Unfortunately I missed Al this year (I was in Nashville when he came fairly close to me). I’ve seen M&B in 2015 and I will again and I will again in a week or so. I’ve seen Brian, Al, and Blondie in 2017 (Al was great, disappointed with Brian because the most recent performances I had heard were from C50, and happy with Blondie’s singing but the solos were too long for me — but it did help me get introduced to Wild Honey and Feel Flows)

I don’t know what I’ll do for a Brian show. I think it’d have to be extremely close for me to go again...I considered going to a rescheduled PS date which will be next year but decided against it because of the fairly long drive...that being said, I would love to see the new Something Great from 68 show. Maybe I can catch a train to NYC to see the Beacon show.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 09, 2019, 09:25:33 PM »

But maybe - and I honestly don't know - performing for the public was how they were dealing with the issues. The power to make people happy and make them laugh is a really, really strong emotion just the same, and I don't know how much I'd guilt audiences who would go see them no matter what their reasons.
Exactly.  What better way to honor Nicky's memory than to play the music he loved?  With the audience there, it's one big wake to celebrate a person's life.  And think about the alternative - if they canceled, they would just be sitting around in hotel rooms in a city far from home - it's not like they couild easily get together with family and friends or do things that they could do if they were closer to home.

Grieving takes many different forms.  A colleague of mine lost his teenage daughter to cancer after a long, painful, heartbreaking course of treatment.  He was already on leave, and chose to stay home the day after she died - he wanted to be home where he felt her spirit.  His wife and their other teen children - including the twin of the girl who died - chose to go to work and school.  They wanted to be out of the house, in a place with routines and work that for a few hours would take their minds off of what they had been through.  All of them did the right thing for themselves.  
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 10:50:56 PM by Margarita » Logged

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 09, 2019, 09:55:35 PM »

In terms of how much Brian “wants” to be touring, I’ve never understood why some folks find it hard to believe that it can kinda be both at the same time. That is, Brian likes some aspects of touring and not others. I’ve pitched this sort of rhetorical question in the past: Have you ever not wanted to do something, but know you should do it, or that despite not wanting to do it you’ll probably actually enjoy it and/or get something out of it? And have you ever had someone around you helping you decide whether to do it? Maybe someone egging you on or helping to motivate you?

Many folks in the know have often pointed out that when Brian *really* doesn’t want to do something, he makes sure that’s what happens.

That doesn’t mean he’s never had any doubts or apprehension about touring, or days when we’d rather be at home eating a steak and watching TV.

A thousand times yes.  Why IS it so hard to imagine that Brian probably likes some things about touring but doesn’t like other things?  Maybe some days he’s into it and other days he’s not?  It shouldn’t be a hard concept to grasp.  I’m sure he enjoys the camaraderie of being with the band.  I’m sure he enjoys the fact that audiences love him and his music.   On the other hand, I’m sure there are times when he’s tired or he’s not feeling good and he’d rather not get up onstage and perform for two hours.

Aren’t we all like this?  Some days I go to work and enjoy myself and get lots done and feel really motivated.  Other days I’d kill to stay home eating a steak and watching TV.  Life is not black and white.  Touring is probably not black and white for Brian. 

There’s also another factor that hasn’t really been touched upon which is that I suspect at Brian’s age, one is likely quite aware that the years of being able to be out on the road are probably very very limited.  I suspect that Brian (and all of the BBs, to be honest) are painfully aware that if they stop touring now, that that’s probably it for good.  And that must be a painful thing to contemplate. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 09, 2019, 10:18:00 PM »

I see so many people here say they go to Brian's shows not for a great performance by the man, but just to be in his presence, just to be bask in his glow. Do people say the same thing about Bob Dylan when he gives a bad performance? Do people go to Paul McCartney's shows "just to see a Beatle"? "oh, his voice is gone, and his new songs are shite, but he's Paul McCartney! He's a legend! He's a Beatle!" I've only been to one concert where I had to use that kind of logic to justify the expense: Wilson Pickett, just about a year before he died. I knew nothing about his health problems at the time, all I knew is that I went to his show expecting him to blow the roof off the place with songs like In the Midnight Hour, Funky Broadway, Mustang Sally, and Land of 1000 Dances. Instead, what we got was Mr. Pickett coming out, singing a couple songs, then ceding the stage to his backing musicians for 5 or 10 minutes. Then he came back and sang another song. Then he left the stage again. This went on for over an hour. I thought maybe he was sick and had to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes. Nope. One of the security guards said he was just sitting backstage while his band and singers carried on. The show ended abruptly, and there was a lot of grumbling in the crowd about what a disappointing show it had been. Some wanted their money back. Maybe I should have told them "stop your complaining, you were in the presence of a legend! You should be thankful he sang you anything at all!"
Again, none of us knew about his health problems, and in retrospect, I feel kind of sad for him, but that's why all performers need someone around them who can tell them the truth. When you can't cut it anymore, it's better to retire; people will still have the records, the cd's, the videos.
If Mars had life on it...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 09, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »

Wanted to give a quick recap of Friday night’s show in upstate NY at Del Lago casino.  This was my 11th time seeing Brian over a 19 year span and first since 2016.  I originally wasn’t going to attend after reading this thread, hearing about Brian’s recent cancellations due to mental instability, back problems, etc.  Finally my mother who is also a big Brian fan convinced me that maybe this would be the last chance to see Brian and it being only a 2+ hour car ride each way that we should go.  

I had very low expectations going in and hoped that my last time seeing Brian wouldn’t be a sad memory.  Well if that was indeed the last time I ever get to see Brian, Im ok with it.  I say this because it was truly one of the most emotionally uplifting performances I have ever witnessed.  Great art has the capacity to touch us deeply and this concert certainly did just that.  From the opening dedication to the late great Nicky Wonder, I had quite a cascade of feelings.  Seeing Brian helped onstage by 2 others was hard to watch.   Brian was on for the most part early but seemed to drift in and out at times.  When Brian was not as active I sat back and appreciated this incredible group of musician’s talents and felt the love and respect they have for the man and this music.  I also found their performance nothing short of triumphant in light of suddenly losing a dear friend and musical partner just days before.  This band deserves their own documentary to celebrate their achievements over the last 20 years.

I was so happy and relieved to see the crowd enthusiastically cheering, dancing, hooting and giving the love right back to the band and Brian.  This music is certainly timeless and will go on even after we’re all gone.  One highlight for me was Brian singing God Only Knows.  As he sang, it hit me.  Brian wasn’t singing about a person that saved him, he was singing about how only God knows what he’d be without music.  As he has struggled through 77 years, it is music that has always been there for him.  
Darian’s Darlin’ was a big high point as it is my mom’s favorite song and he absolutely hit it out of the park, as always.  Matt’s energy, charisma, falsetto and lead vocals are another treat.  He also did a great job covering for Brian when there were any missed entrances.  Paul’s sax was top notch as was his enthusiasm, it is truly infectious.  Probyn is the man playing so many tasty and intricate guitar and horn parts.  The rhythm section had me moving in my seat as I vibrated to their groove.  Al is all class and his voice never seems to age.  Blondie added some high powered distortion and his rendition of Feel Flows would make it’s author proud.  

Having said all that, my favorite moment came after Fun,Fun, Fun.  We were all standing and ready for the guys to take a bow and be finished when Brian said something to Matt, and Matt was like “sure let’s do it”.  Suddenly Darian started to play the opening chords to Love and Mercy and Brian delivered a beautiful and heartfelt rendition that brought me to tears.  Afterwards, we again gave them all a standing ovation.  Again Brian was helped offstage rather awkwardly, as he stepped gingerly towards the darkness, he paused and gave us all a wave.  I found that to be quite symbolic of Brian’s life.  His will to go on in the face of tremendous adversity is quite an inspiration for us all.  If that’s the last time I ever see Brian, I think he gave me one heck of a send off.  Thanks Brian and your incredible band for giving such love to a world that needs it more than ever.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: August 09, 2019, 11:17:28 PM »

Thanks for sharing...this is why we still go to shows. Call us Brianistas. Whatever. Brian won’t be touring many more years. Some of us may not be around much longer either , either due to age or illness. I myself am not well at all. I’ll leave it at that.  If seeing Brian gives us joy, let us have it. If Brian decides he’s done, when that time comes, then that’s it. That day has not come as of yet

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 10, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »

I see so many people here say they go to Brian's shows not for a great performance by the man, but just to be in his presence, just to be bask in his glow. Do people say the same thing about Bob Dylan when he gives a bad performance? Do people go to Paul McCartney's shows "just to see a Beatle"? "oh, his voice is gone, and his new songs are shite, but he's Paul McCartney! He's a legend! He's a Beatle!" I've only been to one concert where I had to use that kind of logic to justify the expense: Wilson Pickett, just about a year before he died. I knew nothing about his health problems at the time, all I knew is that I went to his show expecting him to blow the roof off the place with songs like In the Midnight Hour, Funky Broadway, Mustang Sally, and Land of 1000 Dances. Instead, what we got was Mr. Pickett coming out, singing a couple songs, then ceding the stage to his backing musicians for 5 or 10 minutes. Then he came back and sang another song. Then he left the stage again. This went on for over an hour. I thought maybe he was sick and had to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes. Nope. One of the security guards said he was just sitting backstage while his band and singers carried on. The show ended abruptly, and there was a lot of grumbling in the crowd about what a disappointing show it had been. Some wanted their money back. Maybe I should have told them "stop your complaining, you were in the presence of a legend! You should be thankful he sang you anything at all!"
Again, none of us knew about his health problems, and in retrospect, I feel kind of sad for him, but that's why all performers need someone around them who can tell them the truth. When you can't cut it anymore, it's better to retire; people will still have the records, the cd's, the videos.

Not asking this to be mean, but just to be curious. You’re obviously a longtime fan. Have you ever been to a Brian show over the last 20 years?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: August 10, 2019, 01:22:32 AM »

Nobody’s talked about this yet...

Per Facebook Brian will be playing all of Friends and Wild honey in its entirety!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 10, 2019, 02:36:25 AM »

When we say we go to see Brian Wilson not to hear a pitch-perfect Brian, but to see the man himself, we also mean that he has a backing-band that Paul McCartney has said is the best backing band in the world. We also mean we get to see a man who Bob Dylan himself reveres. We get to hear Al Jardine who doesn't sound a day over 30. We get to hear Blondie rock the hell out on songs. If we stick around long enough we can interact with some of the band (who are really the nicest people to talk with!). The last Brian Wilson concert I went to I had the time of my life. Was Brian in tip-top shape? No! It honestly didn't matter to me and to the hundreds of other people singing along to every song they were playing. Ya see, most people who go to Brian Wilson concerts aren't wearing tin-foil hats spending day after day on the internet posting about how Brian's band and Melinda are using Brian like a Manchurian candidate to harvest billions of dollars in profit from the Pet Sounds tour (so the band, Melinda, and Brian's family don't end up begging for money on the street) - most of the people who go to his shows are strictly fans of Brian and The Beach Boys. And the fact Brian/the band keep touring is a good sign that people are still liking what they hear/see...so it honestly doesn't matter what you, I, or anyone on this website thinks.

Anyways, you can say "When you can't cut it anymore, it's better to retire", and all of us on our computers at home can waste time speculating this or that about whether Brian should be touring....simple fact is that Brian is 77 years old, alive and well, and we should be thankful for whatever is keeping the man going.

Also, reposting my previous reply to you in this thread:

but Brian..well, I still doubt that he is in control of his own destiny. There's too many band members and family members counting on that paycheck.
I think if Carl and Dennis were still here, this charade would have ended several years ago.

So I replied to a similar comment of yours a few weeks ago regarding this very issue (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26082.msg651089.html#msg651089). Which of course you ignored as you have a very consistent track record of ignoring my responses to your monotonous tirades about Brian and those he is around. Which is odd, because I feel like I bring up some fairly rational outlooks regarding your posts, and I would like to read any counterpoints you may have...But instead my posts get ignored and soon enough we all get to read the same broken record posts of yours in another thread.

I'm just going to leave a quote from my post a few weeks ago in response to your post here.

Scenario 1: Melinda Wilson is controlling Brian. So let's get this straight, Brian's net worth is $75 million. $75,000,000.00. Obviously this is not money he has in the bank, but it shows that the man isn't hurting for cash. Yet supposedly Melinda needs to risk the public exposure of controlling Brian like Landy by forcing Brian to hop on a tour bus, strictly tour Pet Sounds shows to make them more money? And all of Brian's family and friends, including his daughters who actually talk to the guy, don't do anything to stop this atrocity?

Scenario 2: The band is controlling Brian. The band, including Darian and Al, need to stay employed so they somehow have a secret cabal of controllers forcing Brian to tour so they can put food on their tables (apparently this is the only way they can have gainful employment). So the band, ignoring the fact that Melinda has already taken down the controlling Landy (to the point where a major motion picture was made about it), secretly forces Brian to tour, hoodwinking Melinda in the process.

If there are any scenarios (or alterations to the above scenarios) that don't sound completely asinine, please share them (anyone). Because I'm just trying to logically get to the bottom of this point of view.

I really would like to know your thoughts on this issue. Because I'm finding any logic to be completely missing from your argument...your theory implies that Brian's band has ZERO heart (because even if Brian was continuing the show on his own accord solely just to keep the band employed apparently you think NONE of the band members would quit out of protest because they need the paycheck more than they care about Brian's health/stability (and this is all dependent on this idea that Brian's health/stability is in some mortal jeopardy)?). Also, according to you Brian's family is depending on the paltry paycheck from this touring gig. Again, I posted a few weeks ago that Brian's net worth (not cash he has in the bank, but it still gives a good glimpse at how the family is NOT living from paycheck to paycheck) is $75 Million. So you're completely wrong about that. And you act like the band members aren't capable of finding jobs on their own outside of Brian's band...hell with this hypothesis you grant the band members as much intelligence as you grant Brian...which isn't much.

Unless you can actually back up that Brian's family needs this paycheck, or that Brian isn't controlling anything in his life and his band or roadies or tech people or bus driver are pulling some mischievous strings to keep Brian on tour (all so they don't end up in the welfare line?) with actual evidence, I'd suggest stop making these ridiculous claims. I'd also suggest if you are going to keep making these ridiculous claims, perhaps try responding to my posts with some in-depth thoughts about your theories?

Also, in response to your last line, I think if Carl and Dennis were alive today they would be appalled at the amount of keyboard warriors who allude to the idea that Brian is a damn vegetable and has no control over his life. I think they'd be happy that Brian no longer lives in an environment where Carl and Dennis aren't welcome to see him anytime they want. I think they'd be happy knowing that Brian isn't sitting at home on his ass busy doin' nothin'.

Most of all, I think Carl and Dennis would be happy that Brian has defied all the odds: the drug use, the obesity, the mental illnesses, the Landy years...and is alive and well (and active) at the age of 77.

edit for missing words
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 02:47:49 AM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 10, 2019, 02:45:55 AM »

Per Facebook Brian will be playing all of Friends and Wild honey in its entirety!

Seriously!? I would love to hear that. Friends is my second favorite BB album...Is this a one time thing? Or will it become regular?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: August 10, 2019, 03:36:55 AM »

If it's the post at the link below, I think it's only referring to the Spotify playlist having both full albums.

Considering the length that Brian's show would be on the Zombies tour, I don't think they could fit both albums plus some hits.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158163863962241&id=34250497240

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 10, 2019, 07:43:05 AM »

Last nights show at del Lago casino in waterloo ny was meh. Love Brian, love the band. But it’s time to load up the woody and surf off into the sunset.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: August 10, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »

If it's the post at the link below, I think it's only referring to the Spotify playlist having both full albums.

Considering the length that Brian's show would be on the Zombies tour, I don't think they could fit both albums plus some hits.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158163863962241&id=34250497240

There was a post sharing it that had implied otherwise but now I think the person was overzealous. Dammit LOL

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 10, 2019, 10:41:23 AM »

People have complained about Dylan shows for decades. He often plays smaller venues than BW these days.

Complaints have increased about McCartney’s shows over the last five years or so, as he lost his voice.

BW, given his history, is doing well enough. The layperson would probably not be able to tell the difference between his shows from the last decade or so. Folks buy tickets because he’s a legend. They know — and have known for many years — that he does a very particular kind of thing.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 10, 2019, 10:58:05 AM »

Why IS it so hard to imagine that Brian probably likes some things about touring but doesn’t like other things? 

Because this is what they're seeing: a man who looks like he's in pain being helped on stage to barely sing through songs, then sit without much emotion while his band mates bounce around him, until the end of the show when it appears as if he couldn't want to get off the stage fast enough.

I'm not saying this provides proof that he doesn't like touring but you can't be surprised that people are reaching that conclusion based on appearances.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx