gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:29:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208869 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 08, 2019, 10:51:11 AM »

I think that vocal approach is so exceptionally jarring because you have Brian speaking his way through it, and then this beautiful soaring vocal from Matt Jardine that sounds damn near like the record and it so thoroughly accentuates what Brian is NOT doing on stage. The Pet Sounds shows should've ended in 2016 after the original (FINAL 50th Ann.) run of shows was done.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: August 08, 2019, 11:39:29 AM »

Concerning specifically PS shows, it seems there *may*, and I stress *may*, be an indication that they are not looking at booking a ton more PS shows. They only had/have five booked for this year, and as of last night three of the five are dates that are rescheduled from the June dates.

I think it's worth looking at shows that come up over the next few months.

I will say that while PS seems to have exponentially more issues with Brian, and as recently as 2017 I recall on-site reviews from some very straight-shooter type of fans who aren't afraid to call it like it is who said Brian was like night and day when it came to PS (bored, detached, talk-singing) and the first set (lots of energy on those songs), I think at this stage even the non-PS stuff is sounding objectively pretty challenged.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: August 08, 2019, 11:47:58 AM »

At this stage, while I think “talk-singing” or some variation of that term is an easy term to use for lack of something else to call it, I’d almost say at this stage that if he can’t or won’t sing the melodies in a relatively conventional fashion as he has all these years, he’d be better off truly switching to some sort of Nick Cave-esque “talking” sort of singing.

What Brian’s doing now is not only the “talk” thing, but he’s kind of spurting the words out staccato, like he’s buffering data every few words; there’s a long gap and then all the words come spilling out. I’m not saying it’s anything near ideal, but if he could work on refashioning his singing style to some sort of Bob Dylan/Nick Cave sort of smooth type of “talk” singing, maybe it wouldn’t sound so jarring.

Right now, while we’re trying to come up with words and terms to describe what he’s doing on stage, I can’t really say it actually comes across as a *style* per se. It just sounds like he’s *really really* struggling to sing the stuff on multiple fronts (hitting the notes, enunciating the different syllables, the tempo/metre, etc.) .

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2019, 12:04:41 PM »

There's definitely truth to that, as you say many posters here have mentioned the switch on the first couple years of the tour however, it has been expanding to the remainder of the set from there.

I've seen "Pet Sounds" three times...August 2016 in Baltimore was a bad night for Brian. Generally disengaged the entire evening. September 2016 in Bethesda, MD was THE best I have ever seen Brian. He was not just singing but belting the tunes from Pet Sounds and beyond, very animated with the crowd (ex. row, row, row your boat), cursing like CRAZY the whole night etc. and most recently, November 2018 in DC with the NSO was the worst shape I've seen Brian in. Not necessarily singing poorly, but mostly not singing and then stammering through Pet Sounds. He was not present that evening. After the final notes of "Love and Mercy" he very loudly said into the microphone "is that it, Paul?" before fidgeting to maneuver off stage.

I know there's an answer...but Brian will have to find it by himself.
Radio 7
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »

Was Brian using a wheelchair during the show or was he walking on his own?

Brian walked on and off stage with Paul and a stage hand holding him up under his arms. It doesn’t look like he would be able to walk with a walker. He must use a wheelchair most of the time.  

The was no intermission, and no going off and on stage for the encore.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2019, 12:13:08 PM »

As a sort of mixture of a “here’s what I would do” pitch as well as a “what I think might actually happen” summation, I think the Zombies tour dates will feature unavoidably shorter shows. If it’s anything like the 2013 Beck shows in terms of show length, we’re looking at the Brian set being maybe 70-80 minutes, and maybe featuring 20-25 songs? So perhaps they need to close ranks even more and really have Al, Matt, Darian, and Blondie do even more leads. This will unavoidably decrease Brian’s lead vocal role in the show, but if it’s a choice between doing this very challenged singing in front of audiences versus audiences just noting that Brian is handing a lot of leads off, I think the latter is better at this stage, or less problematic anyway.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: August 08, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »

Someone posted the setlist on setlist.fm for last night's show, but I'm curious if it's accurate. The source it cites for the setlist is *this thread* we're on right now, and I don't see that anybody posted the full setlist.

Can anybody confirm this list of songs and this order? I'm curious if someone just took the previous setlists and threw in the hand full of songs mentioned in this thread.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2019/artpark-mainstage-lewiston-ny-539fb321.html

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 08, 2019, 12:23:29 PM »

Does Brian get 'feedback' on his performance? Do they work on stuff? I sometimes get the feeling he's put on a pedestal that's unhelpful - uncorrected, unchallenged
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 08, 2019, 12:35:26 PM »

Someone posted the setlist on setlist.fm for last night's show, but I'm curious if it's accurate. The source it cites for the setlist is *this thread* we're on right now, and I don't see that anybody posted the full setlist.

Can anybody confirm this list of songs and this order? I'm curious if someone just took the previous setlists and threw in the hand full of songs mentioned in this thread.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2019/artpark-mainstage-lewiston-ny-539fb321.html
I'm so hesitant to ever trust that site haha. It's a great concept but man are their some errors on there and i remember back during C50 people were posting fake sets and people were getting in fights over minor errors like spelling and punctuation.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: August 08, 2019, 12:41:42 PM »

I'm so hesitant to ever trust that site haha. It's a great concept but man are their some errors on there and i remember back during C50 people were posting fake sets and people were getting in fights over minor errors like spelling and punctuation.

Yeah, it's always a grain of salt situation with that site. I'm definitely not one to question how much time folks spend on whatever board or site, but there seem to be some folks on setlist.fm that are similar to the people who like to jump on Wikipedia to update it the moment a celebrity dies. I've seen someone jump the gun on Brian (and other) setlists on setlist.fm in the past. Not sure why it's so important to be the *first person* to update a setlist, and yeah, I've seen some cases where they just cut and paste the previous show's setlist.

And oh man, yeah, don't get me started on the weird selective pedantry on the site when it comes to the most minor of *debatable* details. At one point, someone went through every Brian and BB setlist (seemingly hundreds) to change the notation on "Caroline, No" to list it as a "Brian Wilson song" rather than a BB song. Yes, yes, I know why, but it's a Beach Boys song too people. Now every BB show in the archive lists any show with "Caroline, No" as containing another "cover", which I don't think is really quite the appropriate characterization. But I digress....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:42:13 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »

Article on the show with some pics:

https://www.wnypapers.com/news/article/featured/2019/08/08/138068/pet-sounds-performed-at-artpark

Here's a few:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:55:06 PM by HeyJude » Logged

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »

As a sort of mixture of a “here’s what I would do” pitch as well as a “what I think might actually happen” summation, I think the Zombies tour dates will feature unavoidably shorter shows. If it’s anything like the 2013 Beck shows in terms of show length, we’re looking at the Brian set being maybe 70-80 minutes, and maybe featuring 20-25 songs? So perhaps they need to close ranks even more and really have Al, Matt, Darian, and Blondie do even more leads. This will unavoidably decrease Brian’s lead vocal role in the show, but if it’s a choice between doing this very challenged singing in front of audiences versus audiences just noting that Brian is handing a lot of leads off, I think the latter is better at this stage, or less problematic anyway.

I agree completely and truly hope that is the outcome we get. That should help Brian to feel he's making the most meaningful contributions on stage, too.
Radio 7
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 08, 2019, 03:19:22 PM »

Did NOT play
Dance Dance Dance
Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
California Saga
Darlin
Love & Mercy

They played the others listed but not quite that order.   
The first 3 were California Girls, Surfer Girl and Don’t Worry Baby
Fi
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »

I've seen the Pet Sounds tour show several times and I've seen Brian's other shows throughout the years as well. You definitely get good Brian and bad Brian depending upon what day he performs but the last show I saw of the Pet Sounds shows was really bad. I am not a fan of the talk singing and I think Brian would have been much better served had he handed all of the vocals over to Matt and Al Jardine. I love Brian I love his music I love Pet Sounds but I probably won't go and see him perform it again until the talk singing stops. IMHO
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »

I don’t think it will. Little Richard went the same way IMO. Just not capable at about the same age.

https://youtu.be/_SUK8chqHac
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 08, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »

I’ve seen a LOT of the PS shows since 2016 and to be honest, the talk-singing doesn’t bother me that much, but it’s because I’m actually just really grateful that I’m getting to see Brian and the band at all.  The reality is that singing is quite physically demanding - as HeyJude alluded to, it’s not just about hitting the notes, it’s also about timing and cadence and getting the words out in the right way.  It demands a lot of the singer both physically and mentally, but especially physically.  The reality is that at age 77, the voice does start to go.  Brian’s range is a lot more limited, he sounds like he’s struggling for breath at times, and he sounds like he’s trying to get all the words out in one go.  The last time I saw Brian was November 2018 and he actually struck me as someone who seemed like he was in pain, based on his vocals.  His singing was not that of a relaxed, comfortable person (I mean physically, not emotionally).  

Mike’s singing is also pretty bad these days, as is Bruce’s.  They struggle to sing the way they used to, and quite frankly it’s normal for people at that age.   It’s just the physical reality.  Al is the exception; I don’t know what he’s done to preserve his voice but long may it continue.  

Having said all that, I’ll repeat what I said at the beginning.  I don’t mind hearing Brian do the talk-singing thing, and I’ll go see him when given the opportunity to do so.  There’s still very few things I’d rather do than go see a Brian Wilson concert Smiley   I completely agree with HeyJude’s suggestion to give more of the leads to other band members.  You’ve got these amazing singers in Al, Blondie, Matt, etc..., so use them to their fullest and let Brian sing when he wants to. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:19:40 PM by marcella27 » Logged
Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2019, 08:55:17 PM »

I don’t think it will. Little Richard went the same way IMO. Just not capable at about the same age.

Brian seems less animated, but less "Weekend At Bernie's" than Little Richard appears in that clip. If that makes sense.

Does Brian get 'feedback' on his performance? Do they work on stuff? I sometimes get the feeling he's put on a pedestal that's unhelpful - uncorrected, unchallenged

How the f*** you gonna tell an almost 80 year old man that he's doing it wrong? He doesn't need constructive criticism at his age, he needs a "give it your best and if it's too much, take a breather".

Yeah, it ain't 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, or 2000s Brian Wilson. But you're getting a band that can play and sing the tunes as good or better than the people who played on them originally, so just being in the presence of the guy who was responsible for them all, almost 6 decades later, should be plenty.

Brian hasn't needed some overbearing figure to tell him to "syncopate it" now or ever.

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2019, 09:03:02 PM »

I don't say that stuff as a "Brianista" or any other sort of Brian apologist, but if this guy wants to shout sing or talk sing or just sit there behind his keyboard and look into space while one of the greatest bands around makes the music he created come to life, then that's fine.

He's a fragile guy. Lived harder  than 99.9% of people that live to be his age. He shouldn't have to jump through hoops or "sing better". He's still out there doing it despite having a pretty good physical disability....

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 08, 2019, 09:13:36 PM »

Haha, good one.
He's Brian Freakin' Wilson, and he's 77 years old. 
At this point, as a fan and/or audience member, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 08, 2019, 09:30:28 PM »

I’ve seen a LOT of the PS shows since 2016 and to be honest, the talk-singing doesn’t bother me that much, but it’s because I’m actually just really grateful that I’m getting to see Brian and the band at all.  The reality is that singing is quite physically demanding - as HeyJude alluded to, it’s not just about hitting the notes, it’s also about timing and cadence and getting the words out in the right way.  It demands a lot of the singer both physically and mentally, but especially physically.  The reality is that at age 77, the voice does start to go.  Brian’s range is a lot more limited, he sounds like he’s struggling for breath at times, and he sounds like he’s trying to get all the words out in one go.  The last time I saw Brian was November 2018 and he actually struck me as someone who seemed like he was in pain, based on his vocals.  His singing was not that of a relaxed, comfortable person (I mean physically, not emotionally).  

Mike’s singing is also pretty bad these days, as is Bruce’s.  They struggle to sing the way they used to, and quite frankly it’s normal for people at that age.   It’s just the physical reality.  Al is the exception; I don’t know what he’s done to preserve his voice but long may it continue.  

Having said all that, I’ll repeat what I said at the beginning.  I don’t mind hearing Brian do the talk-singing thing, and I’ll go see him when given the opportunity to do so.  There’s still very few things I’d rather do than go see a Brian Wilson concert Smiley   I completely agree with HeyJude’s suggestion to give more of the leads to other band members.  You’ve got these amazing singers in Al, Blondie, Matt, etc..., so use them to their fullest and let Brian sing when he wants to.  

I can relate to your experience.
I had the chance to see Brian and his wonderful band around 2016 in his unexpected visit to Acapulco for the Tropico festival, where they would be performing Pet Sounds! Of course, as a geeky fan I was ecstatic, actually I was so thrilled to see him live that I cried a little when Pet Sounds started.
 I assisted to the gig with a small group of friends who like the beach boys but are not die hard fans really (to be honest, the beach boys are not that popular here in México) but their reactions when the concert was over were mixed at best. Some of them were really dissapointed at the vocal lead performances, that would include Blondie who did a very rough version of sail on sailor and wild honey, but especially some of the aforementioned friends were baffled with Brian's vocal performance.
That made me a bit uncomfortable and I kinda felt a bit offended, but later I think I got their point. For me as a huge fan who is in the know that Brian's supreme voice has been gone for decades doesn't matter if he didn't hit the notes or that for large moments of the show he looks uneasy or disengaged; for me to see the Totemic figure of a mastermind I revere was an unbeliavable memory, but for the average public in that festival in particular was somewhat jarring or even dissapointing.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:39:00 PM by louielouie » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2019, 10:02:36 PM »

Love it or hate it, that’s Brian’s approach to the PS material these days. When executed precisely, I find it charming. Sometimes it’s not executed so well, and it sounds less appealing. Your mileage (as with all things BW live) may vary.

California Girls sounds relatively strong.
Are you listening to the same performance I just heard? His voice sounds weak; I can't tell if he's not trying, or maybe he just can't do it anymore. The band sounds fine, backing vocals and everything are good, but Brian just isn't cutting it anymore.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2019, 10:10:56 PM »

Yeah, Richard retired after that show. He said someone took him aside after the show - might have been his son, or a nephew - and said "Richard, you don't sound good anymore". Oh, he wanted it, he wanted it badly, but he was recovering from failed hip replacement surgery, and he just couldn't do it anymore. Of course, Richard was his own boss, so he was able to say "no more rock and roll for Little Richard"; but Brian..well, I still doubt that he is in control of his own destiny. There's too many band members and family members counting on that paycheck.
I think if Carl and Dennis were still here, this charade would have ended several years ago.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 08, 2019, 10:20:28 PM »

Love it or hate it, that’s Brian’s approach to the PS material these days. When executed precisely, I find it charming. Sometimes it’s not executed so well, and it sounds less appealing. Your mileage (as with all things BW live) may vary.

California Girls sounds relatively strong.
Are you listening to the same performance I just heard? His voice sounds weak; I can't tell if he's not trying, or maybe he just can't do it anymore. The band sounds fine, backing vocals and everything are good, but Brian just isn't cutting it anymore.

Eh. I saw him in 2018, 2017, 2016 and so on. That’s how he sounds now. It’s decent by recent standards.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 08, 2019, 10:33:27 PM »

I was at the first PS show of 2016 so similar to this being the first show of this delayed tour. If I was to give a percentage for how his voice and stage presentation has deteriorated in 3 years I would say 25%, and that’s being generous.

Sorry if this sounds like I’m complaining. I just think his well-being is more important than any fans desire to see him nowadays. He hasn’t owed us anything for decades.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:35:07 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 09, 2019, 05:09:21 AM »

but Brian..well, I still doubt that he is in control of his own destiny. There's too many band members and family members counting on that paycheck.
I think if Carl and Dennis were still here, this charade would have ended several years ago.

So I replied to a similar comment of yours a few weeks ago regarding this very issue (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26082.msg651089.html#msg651089). Which of course you ignored as you have a very consistent track record of ignoring my responses to your monotonous tirades about Brian and those he is around. Which is odd, because I feel like I bring up some fairly rational outlooks regarding your posts, and I would like to read any counterpoints you may have...But instead my posts get ignored and soon enough we all get to read the same broken record posts of yours in another thread.

I'm just going to leave a quote from my post a few weeks ago in response to your post here.

Scenario 1: Melinda Wilson is controlling Brian. So let's get this straight, Brian's net worth is $75 million. $75,000,000.00. Obviously this is not money he has in the bank, but it shows that the man isn't hurting for cash. Yet supposedly Melinda needs to risk the public exposure of controlling Brian like Landy by forcing Brian to hop on a tour bus, strictly tour Pet Sounds shows to make them more money? And all of Brian's family and friends, including his daughters who actually talk to the guy, don't do anything to stop this atrocity?

Scenario 2: The band is controlling Brian. The band, including Darian and Al, need to stay employed so they somehow have a secret cabal of controllers forcing Brian to tour so they can put food on their tables (apparently this is the only way they can have gainful employment). So the band, ignoring the fact that Melinda has already taken down the controlling Landy (to the point where a major motion picture was made about it), secretly forces Brian to tour, hoodwinking Melinda in the process.

If there are any scenarios (or alterations to the above scenarios) that don't sound completely asinine, please share them (anyone). Because I'm just trying to logically get to the bottom of this point of view.

I really would like to know your thoughts on this issue. Because I'm finding any logic to be completely missing from your argument...your theory implies that Brian's band has ZERO heart (because even if Brian was continuing the show on his own accord solely just to keep the band employed apparently you think NONE of the band members would quit out of protest because they need the paycheck more than they care about Brian's health/stability (and this is all dependent on this idea that Brian's health/stability is in some mortal jeopardy)?). Also, according to you Brian's family is depending on the paltry paycheck from this touring gig. Again, I posted a few weeks ago that Brian's net worth (not cash he has in the bank, but it still gives a good glimpse at how the family is NOT living from paycheck to paycheck) is $75 Million. So you're completely wrong about that. And you act like the band members aren't capable of finding jobs on their own outside of Brian's band...hell with this hypothesis you grant the band members as much intelligence as you grant Brian...which isn't much.

Unless you can actually back up that Brian's family needs this paycheck, or that Brian isn't controlling anything in his life and his band or roadies or tech people or bus driver are pulling some mischievous strings to keep Brian on tour (all so they don't end up in the welfare line?) with actual evidence, I'd suggest stop making these ridiculous claims. I'd also suggest if you are going to keep making these ridiculous claims, perhaps try responding to my posts with some in-depth thoughts about your theories?

Also, in response to your last line, I think if Carl and Dennis were alive today they would be appalled at the amount of keyboard warriors who allude to the idea that Brian is a damn vegetable and has no control over his life. I think they'd be happy that Brian no longer lives in an environment where Carl and Dennis aren't welcome to see him anytime they want. I think they'd be happy knowing that Brian isn't sitting at home on his ass busy doin' nothin'.

Most of all, I think Carl and Dennis would be happy that Brian has defied all the odds: the drug use, the obesity, the mental illnesses, the Landy years...and is alive and well (and active) at the age of 77.

edit for missing words
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 06:14:45 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx