gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:15:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208853 times)
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2019, 10:07:38 AM »

So I haven't heard that podcast, but if they're suggesting the vocals are the main dividing line between the two ...

They're not. If you're strapped for time just listen from 40:20 - 41:40.

Sorry, that was more my comment about the vocals. I think your description of "turbo charging" it is a good one. Thanks B.E. for tracking down the time-stamp of the podcast. I was going on memory, as didn't have time to re-listen.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2019, 01:18:56 PM »

So anyway. The new improved Brian tonight?

"Pet Sounds" Tour Dates:

August 7, 2019 - Lewiston, NY - Artpark Mainstage (Rescheduled from June 15)
August 10, 2019 - Fort Wayne, IN - Embassy Theatre
August 11, 2019 -  Cuyahoga Falls, OH - Blossom Music Center (w/ Blossom Festival Orchestra)
October 2, 2019 - Red Bank, NJ - Count Basie Theatre (Rescheduled from June 11)
January 24, 2020 - Lynn, MA - Lynn Auditorium (Rescheduled from June 7)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2019, 02:54:21 PM »

On Facebook a few minutes ago a friend of Nick Walusko aka Nicky Wonder reported that he has just died in Buffalo. RIP. I suppose this means the show tonight won’t go on....but no definite word yet...
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2019, 03:29:19 PM »

Brian just posted on FB. The show will go on with a tribute.
Nick Walusco died in his sleep.
 Cry

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2019, 03:40:21 PM »

Unreal. Lost for words right now, Nick was a truly phenomenal musician. What a tragic loss. RIP Nicky Wonder.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2019, 03:50:56 PM »

RIP Nicky Wonder. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2019, 04:01:50 PM »

How sad and shocking. I’m thinking of everyone in the band and the broader BW universe tonight. May they find some solace as the music plays on.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 07, 2019, 04:35:55 PM »

Very sad and shocking news, indeed. How old was he?
adavidw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 07, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »

Very sad and shocking news, indeed. How old was he?

Only 59. What a huge loss.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 07, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »

Tonight will probably be the hardest concert ever for Brian, and all the band. Imagine having to sing some of those up beat songs. I’ll be rooting for them. Condolences to them and the family.
carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 07, 2019, 07:06:08 PM »

Tonight will probably be the hardest concert ever for Brian, and all the band. Imagine having to sing some of those up beat songs. I’ll be rooting for them. Condolences to them and the family.

I always loved Nicky's lead on Pet Sounds, and his "You're under arrest" during Heroes and Villains.  I'm sure those moments will be hard for the band tonight and in the shows to come.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 07, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »

Any reports from the show? I'm curious how much they addressed Nicky Wonder's passing.
Radio 7
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 07, 2019, 08:23:42 PM »

Just got back from the show in Lewiston tonight.  Brian opened by announcing that Nicky had passed away and they were dedicating the show to him.  A bouquet of flowers was in his stop on stage with his guitars. In place of the Pet Sounds instrumental, Paul spoke about how much of a shock it is but “we are musicians and the show must go on.” 

Nicky’s guitar parts were sorely missing in some spots. Paul coved Nicky’s parts but he might always be doubling those parts too. Probyn must have taken Nicky’s lead on Let’s Go Away for Awhile, he looked frustrated playing keys, guitar and trumpet on the same song.

Brian sounded better than when I saw him last year.  Not surprisingly, his vocal on California Girl opening the show was his best of the night.  After that, they seemed to be saving him for Pets Sound. He was also strong on Vibes and FFF.

Highlights of the set list were
Wake the World -Al
Add Some Music Brian
Friends Matt
The Night was So Young Brian
Feel Flows Blondie
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 07, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »

Just got back from the show in Lewiston tonight.  Brian opened by announcing that Nicky had passed away and they were dedicating the show to him.  A bouquet of flowers was in his stop on stage with his guitars. In place of the Pet Sounds instrumental, Paul spoke about how much of a shock it is but “we are musicians and the show must go on.” 

Nicky’s guitar parts were sorely missing in some spots. Paul coved Nicky’s parts but he might always be doubling those parts too. Probyn must have taken Nicky’s lead on Let’s Go Away for Awhile, he looked frustrated playing keys, guitar and trumpet on the same song.

Brian sounded better than when I saw him last year.  Not surprisingly, his vocal on California Girl opening the show was his best of the night.  After that, they seemed to be saving him for Pets Sound. He was also strong on Vibes and FFF.

Highlights of the set list were
Wake the World -Al
Add Some Music Brian
Friends Matt
The Night was So Young Brian
Feel Flows Blondie

Thanks for reporting on tonight’s show.  It must have been very sad.  I just can’t imagine them getting that news and having to perform.  So sad for Brian and the whole band right now, especially Darian, as he and Nicky seemed like partners in crime. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: August 07, 2019, 09:15:59 PM »

Man I can’t even imagine how hard it’d be to perform after a friend and band mate passed. My heart goes out to all of them, and Nick’s family.

I don’t even want to imagine how hard it was for Brian especially considering this was his first show back. 

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: August 08, 2019, 06:36:49 AM »

Was Brian using a wheelchair during the show or was he walking on his own?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: August 08, 2019, 07:01:58 AM »

I don't begrudge the band pretty much anything for having to get through a show literally hours after such awful, awful news.

But for those interested in how Brian's vocals sound, here's IJWMFTT from last night. I think the most diplomatic thing to say is that Brian is looking in much better spirits in photos from recent days, and his staying active out there is hopefully a good thing, but I can't say his lead vocals have improved at all compared to gigs from the past year or two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uph4mX2Hx4A

Again, I don't judge any decisions the band made, I'm sure they had more than ample emotional reason to skip performing the "Pet Sounds" instrumental last night in light of it being so closely associated with Nicky, but that may well have been the only instance of Brian doing a full PS performance but with one song skipped.

Interesting to see the first show back also dip back into some deeper cuts with "Friends" and "The Night Was So Young."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 08, 2019, 07:28:09 AM »

hate when he sings(?) the songs like that... Why I'm retired from going to the live shows. Last saw him on the Gershwin tour and it was a great show.

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 08, 2019, 08:11:19 AM »

Who did they get to play guitar?

Kinda surprised they didn't take a night off... :-/
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 08, 2019, 08:13:21 AM »

hate when he sings(?) the songs like that... Why I'm retired from going to the live shows. Last saw him on the Gershwin tour and it was a great show.

Maybe he's entering a Sinatra phase where you can play with the timing of the vocal a bit... maybe not
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 08, 2019, 08:14:36 AM »

California Girls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_nj1Iow9gI
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »

Love it or hate it, that’s Brian’s approach to the PS material these days. When executed precisely, I find it charming. Sometimes it’s not executed so well, and it sounds less appealing. Your mileage (as with all things BW live) may vary.

California Girls sounds relatively strong.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2019, 09:51:02 AM »

Who did they get to play guitar?

Kinda surprised they didn't take a night off... :-/

I can only guess, but had this been a random show in the middle of a tour, or even a "regular" opening night for a tour leg, they may well have taken the night off. But I think this being the first show back after several months off and after Brian previously canceled shows, they probably felt it would have been detrimental to the whole touring operation if they canceled the first show back after all the articles about how Brian's ready to go again, etc.

I'm not judging the decision one way or the other, there are surely many factors going into such decisions. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »

Maybe he's entering a Sinatra phase where you can play with the timing of the vocal a bit... maybe not

I guess if I had to describe to someone who hadn't heard this PS singing what it sounded like, some sort of staccato vaguely Sinatra-esque "talky" singing might be a decent descriptor.

But clearly for some time now, Brian has been bored with and/or struggling with singing the PS material. Either way, it's not becoming a *more pleasant* experience for audience members as time goes by.

Brian, while still seeming to struggle overall, sounds less troubled on the non-PS material, so hopefully with only a few PS shows on the schedule, the shows will be less rocky on the lead vocal side as the tour goes on. That's really the best I can conjure to hope for.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »

I would suggest that if this trend continues, that Al would perhaps be the lead singer for the Pet Sounds segment with Brian assisting with the bv's when he feels compelled to do so. Al's got the voice to do it and played a substantial part in the vocals on PS. That way you still get Brian and PS sung well.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx